Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

Was talking to a Riddle DA40 the other night, and he unabled a climb to 7000. I came back around a couple minutes later and asked him about it; Apparently Riddle policy is no flights above 5000msl at night. What the actual gently caress?

This is kind of strange considering their AZ campus has a field elevation of 5045'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

KodiakRS posted:

This is kind of strange considering their AZ campus has a field elevation of 5045'.

My thoughts exactly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

If that was the concern shouldn't the limit be 10,000 ft?

It's worse at night and I've heard of people having issues as low as 7000ft. 5000ft is pretty conservative and probably not necessary but I see where their minds are.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Is it allowed to land an airplane somewhere that's not specifically a runway? I know if you're in an ultralight you're ok to land in open areas (that arent considered congested), but with my PPL and just in a regular airplane is that something which is allowed?

Don't have any specific plans to do something like this, I was just curious. Say I knew someone who owned a giant field, clear of any obstructions nearby, and I knew it was suitable for a soft field landing, is that something which is allowed or not?

I don't remember seeing anything that allowed or prohibited that kind of thing.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 7, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

There is no FAR expressly prohibiting it under part 91 however there is always 91.13 (careless and reckless operation) so if the FAA decides they don't like what you're doing they can always tag you with that. In addition your insurance/rental policy probably prohibits it and it may violate local/state laws depending on where you are. Other than that, it should be ok. Just make sure you know what you're doing, even a "small" paved runway is going to be a lot bigger than most places you're thinking of landing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm pretty sure there is (or at least used to be) something in either the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge or the Airplane Flying Handbook that mentions pilots should consider using supplemental oxygen above 5000ft at night, so maybe that's where Riddle got the limitation from.

When I used to work for UND, their standardization manual for a Cessna 172 was well past 300 pages, so large part 141 schools love unnessicarily complicating things because it "prepares students for the airlines".

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure there is (or at least used to be) something in either the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge or the Airplane Flying Handbook that mentions pilots should consider using supplemental oxygen above 5000ft at night, so maybe that's where Riddle got the limitation from.

I live in Colorado.

Maybe I should use oxygen for my drive home tonight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cessna posted:

I live in Colorado.

Maybe I should use oxygen for my drive home tonight.

Yeah, we have the same guidance in Canada and similarly it's not modified for people who live at high altitudes already. Obviously just living at 4000 or 5000' MSL isn't enough to fully eliminate the effects of air density at altitude, but the fact that there's no allowance for it at all is equally stupid. Seems like it should be an area for further research.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sure, I just think it's funny...

I got my Pvt Pilot in California, in the Bay Area. My home field had an elevation of 4' MSL, and you had to take a "mountain checkout" if you were going to land on a field over 2000' MSL.

Now I live in Colorado, where the closest field with a 2000' MSL is in the next state over...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cessna posted:

I got my Pvt Pilot in California, in the Bay Area. My home field had an elevation of 4' MSL, and you had to take a "mountain checkout" if you were going to land on a field over 2000' MSL.

Now I live in Colorado, where the closest field with a 2000' MSL is in the next state over...

You would need to be going really really fast and probably wouldn’t survive to make it to 2000ft here, so their math checks.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Cessna posted:

We do the same thing in the Seattle area if you want to go up to the many mountain airports that exist in the Cascades. I think it's more just telling people that high density altitudes exist, sometimes, and you should do your TO/LDG distance calculations and not go if the wind is really strong.

Speaking of mountain airports and strong wind:

https://twitter.com/NWSReno/status/809494733961760768

RNO UUA/ OV RNO 5NW / TM 1855 / FL085 / TP DH8D / RM LLWS +/- 10KTS ON SHORT FINAL 085-SFC DURD. ROTOR ACTION. AIRCRAFT ALMOST ROLLED AT 085

i bet the ground crew had a fun time cleaning up the plane after that one

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The altitude range and location of that PIREP make it really hard to imagine where this aircraft was exactly when this happened.

5 miles Northwest of the airport on "short" final at 8500ft (~4000ft AGL)?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
KRNO is the only time I’ve gotten the red WINDSHEAR annunciator.

V1. Vr... ... Vr... ... Wuh oh!

We didn’t have a lot of wing in the LR60 but we had power for days, so it was just a matter of flying it just like you’re training, chill out and you’re good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well I certainly can't see any problems or, uh, giant glaring flaws with this plan!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/05/09/uber-flying-taxis.html

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

The Ferret King posted:

The altitude range and location of that PIREP make it really hard to imagine where this aircraft was exactly when this happened.

5 miles Northwest of the airport on "short" final at 8500ft (~4000ft AGL)?

That’s normally where the planes turn downwind to base there, and it’s where it rolled. There was also wind shear from approximately that point to touchdown.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

You would need to be going really really fast and probably wouldn’t survive to make it to 2000ft here, so their math checks.

Huh - for what it's worth, I also went to Metro.

(I'm not a pro- pilot, just private, never flown anything bigger than a C-182.)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cessna posted:

Huh - for what it's worth, I also went to Metro.

(I'm not a pro- pilot, just private, never flown anything bigger than a C-182.)

Aviation major?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

Aviation major?

No, flying is just a hobby/weekend pastime for me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cessna posted:

No, flying is just a hobby/weekend pastime for me.

Doing it the right way I see.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

Doing it the right way I see.

I wish I could downvote this

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

I wish I could downvote this

:same:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
There is an open house happening at the local airport tomorrow so I dragged my project plane out and put the wings on today.

First time this has been in one piece in over 10 years.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

helno posted:

There is an open house happening at the local airport tomorrow so I dragged my project plane out and put the wings on today.

First time this has been in one piece in over 10 years.

Looks cool. Time to get it air worthy.

This thread is one year old and somehow not rated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I have magic powers when it comes to Transport Canada. Whenever I phone them to ask about licensing issues they should've taken care of weeks ago, it somehow manages to be mere hours before they receive the application in question. Three times in a row! I mean, wow, that's spooky! :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AWSEFT posted:

Looks cool. Time to get it air worthy.

This thread is one year old and somehow not rated.

I just taught myself how to vote on the mobile app.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

http://www.wesh.com/article/officers-rescue-infant-family-from-car-crash-on-camera/20901576

That's the third crash in Volusia County, FL (home of Daytona and ERAU) in the last couple months. Two of them, led off by the ERAU Arrow, were fatal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I got the official offer for an upgrade within my company and, after some negotiating, accepted today.

Gonna be SIC on a Falcon 50, they’re gonna PIC type me first thing and I’ll make captain after a year or so (just need a few hundred more hours.)

They’re also cool with a salary that’s a little higher than what my initial goal was.

This is a good day for me.

:cheers:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Ok I got the official offer for an upgrade within my company and, after some negotiating, accepted today.

Gonna be SIC on a Falcon 50, they’re gonna PIC type me first thing and I’ll make captain after a year or so (just need a few hundred more hours.)

They’re also cool with a salary that’s a little higher than what my initial goal was.

Congrats. Maybe you’ll be able to save for retirement now!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Congrats. Maybe you’ll be able to save for retirement now!

Or I could get a Mercedes and just drive it into the Grand Canyon when I turn 65.

Lower-Middle class decisions!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Congrats!! :toot: :cheers:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Attention flight instructions: When becoming frustrated by a Chinese students' poor English skills, do not attempt to perform a "do it yourself deportation", since that is apparently frowned upon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ina-police-say/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

azflyboy posted:

Attention flight instructions: When becoming frustrated by a Chinese students' poor English skills, do not attempt to perform a "do it yourself deportation", since that is apparently frowned upon.

This story is everything I dreamed it would be based on your description.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

azflyboy posted:

Not all heroes wear capes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Groda posted:

Not all heroes wear capes.

To the Cessna mobile!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just lol if your flight school doesn't have at least one Chinese instructor with good English skills on staff to bitch them out in their native language and then insist that they learn English properly.

I love watching that process happen, it's like Christmas!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The next time dispatch wonders why I want enough fuel to go around the line of thunderstorms instead of sneaking through a gap I'm just going to show them these two pictures from last night:

Edit: Just to clarify neither I, nor the airline I work for, were involved in this flight.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 5, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Is there something wrong with that airplane? I've got a Maintenance Officer over here who says it'll probably just buff out and be fine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

The next time dispatch wonders why I want enough fuel to go around the line of thunderstorms instead of sneaking through a gap I'm just going to show them these two pictures from last night:

I'm going to get 8x10 color glossy prints of these with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is, and post them all over our TMU.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jesus.

Just really large hail I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Jesus.

Just really large hail I assume?

Not sure how big it was but at 400+ knots true airspeed even pea size hail can do some serious damage. I don't even want to know what those engine fanblades look like after that.