Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

There's this guy who drives a really nice blue Cadillac ATS-V in my neighborhood, and he has roughly the same commute as me and drives about the same speed I want to go. It's kind of nice having a kindred spirit in traffic whenever we happen to match schedules these past couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

What's up with this sudden obsession with the Kentucky Derby?

If you think that's bad, try the Melbourne Cup. This entire hosed up country literally stops for that loving nag race with everyone suddenly becoming a horse racing expert or rushing out to get loving maggoted on the cheapest piss possible, then pretending to be oh so sad when yet another horse is put down all in the name of entertainment and gambling.

Bulldoze all horse racetracks for parklands

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So who's in Virginia and wants to do me a huge favor.... https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-mazda-rx7-r1/6571198533.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thank you. I looked, I promise. Bookmarked.

Enourmo posted:

Man every repair job has some dumb thing, huh. Doing my intake and the fuel rail needs to come off; there's a crash bracket over it on the driver's side, and one of the bolts for that points out of the head at the firewall, and requires removing the whole cowl and wiper assembly to get a wrench on it. If that bolt was pointed up and they had an access hatch through the cowl plastic, it would shave easily 45 minutes off the job. I'm sure there's an engineering reason but it still irks me.

Thankfully I've been able to borrow my grandma's car, she shouldn't be driving anyway but my mom etc won't put a foot down so this is a good second best effort, and it lets me get around without supporting Uber. It's an Outlander, though, and somehow even more cramped inside than my MSP was; the sooner I've got my highway couch back, the better.

The engineering reason is that the engine isn't in the car when they build it. That's pretty much it for any number of "you can't do that without doing this first" things.
It boils down to cars being designed to be put together on an assembly line, not taken apart.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I know the guy who owns the Acty, it was furnished with incredibly period accessories like a loving Head holdall and an empty bottle of Lucozade that was a full on timewarp. Same guy owns an incredibly cool Nissan Elgrand, it has a fully custom interior and is more comfortable than your living room.

If I have to drive a minivan, I want it to be that. Or Bisimoto's.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Bulldoze all horse racetracks for parklands

Pfft, just leave 'em and do what any sensible road did a hundred years ago - ban horses and allow cars.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pfft, just leave 'em and do what any sensible road did a hundred years ago - ban horses and allow cars.

:eng101: Horses are generally only banned from freeways.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

the spyder posted:

So who's in Virginia and wants to do me a huge favor.... https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-mazda-rx7-r1/6571198533.html

I'm less than five minutes from the tunnel to Norfolk. Whatcha need me to do?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

The engineering reason is that the engine isn't in the car when they build it. That's pretty much it for any number of "you can't do that without doing this first" things.
It boils down to cars being designed to be put together on an assembly line, not taken apart.

Oh I fully understand, but I still reserve my right to bitch when I'm playing service tech

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jesus gently caress we are in some kind of dystopian future.

Melania Trump's booklet "Talking with Kids About Being Online," released today:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Talking-with-kids-about-being-online-_2018.pdf

The FTC's "NET CETERA Chatting with Kids About Being Online," released in 2014:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0001-netcetera.pdf

They changed the pictures of the phones showing more modern thin bezels... that's almost all of the substantive changes. Un loving real.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The fact that people listen when stupid people talk blows my mind.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Goober Peas posted:

The fact that people listen when stupid people talk blows my mind.

I....uh...

You know you're on SA....right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

:eng101: Horses are generally only banned from freeways.

Annoyingly true here as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annoyingly true here as well.

Don't you savages eat horses?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd rather horses on the road than bicycles.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

You and I are about to have words you aint gonna like

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Let's dance?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Do you have horses in Australia or is there a marsupial equivalent?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

angryrobots posted:

Say what you will about cyclists, at least they don't literally poo poo on the road

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

Once a widely popular mode of transport, especially among farmers and remote settlements, the Riding Roo has been largely replaced by the Falcommodore. Riding Roos are now seen as an affectation of the rich and a tourist attraction. Of particular disgust to many is the branding of Roos with sponsors logos or the phrase "Such Is Life" by CUBs (Cashed Up Bogans) who view Riding Roos as a link to their cultural touchstone, Ned Kelly.

There was some serious handwringing during the Emu War when it seemed as though the Roos would go over to the Emu side, leaving most of the rural population stranded. This was the impetus for bringing Camels into Australia, fortunately the Roos stayed loyal and the Dromedary Corps wasn't needed.

GODDAMMIT BEATEN LIKE A RENTED RIDING ROO :arghfist::australia:

slothrop fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Say what you will about cyclists, at least they don't literally poo poo on the road

https://youtu.be/02tHFgBzWXY

http://wqad.com/2015/03/26/hampton-posts-signs-asking-people-to-stop-pooping-on-bike-path/

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bajaha posted:

No, they just take up 6' of a lane and treat red lights like a suggestion.

gently caress cyclists.

Also, after letting my anger cool, Indy isn't so bad. Other than everything closing at hours I normally associate with nunneries.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
LED nerds.. where are you buying your LED strips? I need to redo undercabinet lighting in the kitchen. Something with more output than this set I'm currently running. If it's the "S shaped" strips, even better, there's a turn in each run of lights and added flexibility is bonus for those.

I understand I'll need to upgrade the power supply I'm using (2 runs on this set using a 12v 1A on each run). It's hooked into the wall, and dimmable preferred. What's your go to to obtain? I'm a little leery of just purchasing on some rando website... and amazon isn't a ton of help.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All you euro types, Austrians included.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, after letting my anger cool, Indy isn't so bad. Other than everything closing at hours I normally associate with nunneries.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress cyclists.

No, your initial reaction was correct. It's a gently caress-hole of a city and I dread every time I have to go there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress cyclists.

Hello PCOS Bill, is that you?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress cyclists.

gently caress you too buddy. I'm sure you follow every road rule to the letter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lol, bullshit.

Everyone knows you ride in the pouch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress cyclists.

Look at this dude mad on the internet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The complaint about them taking up roadspace is loving stupid. Yes, they're road users. They use road.

Cyclists ignoring red lights are a problem pretty much everywhere. The best guess I have is that it's because there's a big chunk of people who treat being on a bike as being a wheeled pedestrian rather than being a vehicle, or even worse, freely switch between the two the instant it suits them.

Properly buggers things up for other cyclists because that ends up being the image drivers have of them, and for other road users, because people try to "fix" the problem with additional legislation that doesn't address the actual root cause of fuckwits on bikes being fuckwits.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I like to cycle but I also get furious at those that zip through red lights.
The closest I've been to coming off my bike on the road was due to someone deciding they would carry on through as I was turning on a junction with lights. Had I been in the car I'd have been a little bit faster and there probably would have been a collision

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

gently caress you too buddy. I'm sure you follow every road rule to the letter.

I obey lights and signs and don't switch to sidewalks when I hit intersections, as seemingly every cyclist where i live does.

I don't see why it's a problem to be annoyed by that. Or that they don't obey the signs stating single file bicycles only and ride 3 across.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

The complaint about them taking up roadspace is loving stupid. Yes, they're road users. They use road.

Cyclists ignoring red lights are a problem pretty much everywhere. The best guess I have is that it's because there's a big chunk of people who treat being on a bike as being a wheeled pedestrian rather than being a vehicle, or even worse, freely switch between the two the instant it suits them.

Properly buggers things up for other cyclists because that ends up being the image drivers have of them, and for other road users, because people try to "fix" the problem with additional legislation that doesn't address the actual root cause of fuckwits on bikes being fuckwits.

Yeah [annoyingly] cyclists are allowed to take command of an entire lane if need be and are encouraged to ride two abreast as it makes them more difficult to overtake and thus safer for the cyclists but seriously gently caress them anyway

nm
Jan 28, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I obey lights and signs and don't switch to sidewalks when I hit intersections, as seemingly every cyclist where i live does.

I don't see why it's a problem to be annoyed by that. Or that they don't obey the signs stating single file bicycles only and ride 3 across.

You said "gently caress cyclists," not "gently caress cyclists who run red lights". And got forbid they take a few feet of your precious road, odds are it wasn't wide enough to share safely anyhow.

The sidewalk thing is a total symptom of bad cycling facilities.

I know you thought you were posting about those fuckers in spandex in a goddamn car forum, but this isn't one of those toxic places, this is AI where like half the good posters are cycling thread regulars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The path to my school has both a dedicated bike lane, and an actual sidewalking lane. Yeah, I know, that sounds weird, but they renovated the road and made the sidewalk on the same side as the bus stops super duper wide and put up a few of those "who yields to who?" signs, along with reminders for which side of the road to ride on. (for you AZ goons, Southern at the 101 to Dobson, then Dobson to the college).

A dedicated bike lane is so rare that I didn't even use it for half of my first ride. Then I noticed it and felt like an rear end in a top hat.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The road cyclists around here are pretty good, save for one idiot recently who was visibly pissed tthat I was creeping behind him without passing, because it was A BLIND loving CORNER GOING OVER A CREST. The racing dudes on the Schuylkill River Trail can be utter asses, though, and blow through their stop signs at Spring Mill Station ... well, every time, I've never seen one stop.

Overall I'm more scared for the road cyclists than anything else. The drivers here are assholes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've had that same experience several times... Hanging back waiting on traffic to clear so I can cleanly pass a cyclist and they start waving their hands about, wanting me to come around. You want me to squeeze you to the shoulder or what?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah [annoyingly] cyclists are allowed to take command of an entire lane if need be and are encouraged to ride two abreast as it makes them more difficult to overtake and thus safer for the cyclists but seriously gently caress them anyway
Riding two abreast is actually helpful in many instances, as it shortens the distance needed for the overtake.

Some drivers take the attitude that it forces them into the opposite lane for the overtake, but leaving enough gap as you pass someone generally does that anyway.

"Taking the lane" to block dodgy overtakes at pinch points is a bloody good idea, too.

I get very annoyed with idiots on bikes, but people who dislike cyclists as a general thing are more likely than not crap drivers who don't understand how things are meant to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Oh I fully understand, but I still reserve my right to bitch when I'm playing service tech

Absolutely.
Personally, I think all MEs need to spend at least 6 months to a year servicing poo poo before they're allowed to design things.

angryrobots posted:

At least cyclist don't poo poo on the road. Usually.

I laughed.

Bajaha posted:

Dammit.
At least when I get beaten, I know I'm among like-minded beings.

• Locked thread