Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

chumbler posted:

Tallgeese and Leo are missing so the list is bad. But yeah I can't really rag on Nu being at the top.

You know what else makes it bad?

The Zudah is at #36 on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Freedom is waaaayyy better than Strike Freedom :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That list is way better then expected, and Nu being nr1 is true.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

This is also true.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the only thing worse than strike freedom at #3 is waltz wing at #4

waltz wing is so dumb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes, I will dig out Gundam Battle Assault 2 just so I can watch the Nu Gundam in motion.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I honestly wasn't aware that Strike Freedom and Freedom were different.

Also, the Hidolfr is on there? i cant even

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Also, the Hidolfr is on there? i cant even

it has the mobility and firepower of a tank combined with the pointless arms of a mobile suit, it has no weaknesses

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess it looks kind of cool. Too bad about the series it's from though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kampfer is at least on the list but it should be 1 and Sazabi 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I guess it looks kind of cool. Too bad about the series it's from though.

If it makes you feel any better, Igloo bombed pretty hard as a series, without a single entry outscoring AGE.

Apparently, people just like the MS designs without liking the show.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It is exceptionally better :colbert:

HitTheTargets posted:

Strike Freedom has that gold bling and a pointless extra chest beam cannon. It's just shiny for the sake of a cheaply adjusted alternate model imo. It's also silly over powered. I think maybe it has funnels too? Original Freedom is one of my favorite designs so Strike Freedom is just a gaudy downgrade overall for me. Destiny is not worth my memory so that's my basic take.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

God Gundam #21 is shameful

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The MG/PG version while being hilariously broken and OP is at least cool looking, unlike the original line-art.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yinlock posted:

it has the mobility and firepower of a tank combined with the pointless arms of a mobile suit, it has no weaknesses

Must've been designed by the Thunderbolt guy.

"Can we get some more arms, please?"

Edit:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

God Gundam #21 is shameful

Too bad this happened after the results were in.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XTTfDBj3M

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 7, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No Rig Shokew? No Abigor? No G-Self? No Grimorie?

Shameful list.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

No Rig Shokew? No Abigor? No G-Self? No Grimorie?

Shameful list.

The G-Self (and the Tallgeese) both made the top 100.

Non-UC grunt suits didn't have a very impressive showing, though. A couple 00 designs got in by riding Graham's coattails, but when the GM barely gets in, Grimoires didn't have much of a chance.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The G-Self (and the Tallgeese) both made the top 100.

Non-UC grunt suits didn't have a very impressive showing, though. A couple 00 designs got in by riding Graham's coattails, but when the GM barely gets in, Grimoires didn't have much of a chance.

poo poo you're right, the Jim should have been there.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hot take here but: The original GM doesn't look that good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It is exceptionally better :colbert:

Strike Freedom has that gold bling and a pointless extra chest beam cannon. It's just shiny for the sake of a cheaply adjusted alternate model imo. It's also silly over powered. I think maybe it has funnels too? Original Freedom is one of my favorite designs so Strike Freedom is just a gaudy downgrade overall for me. Destiny is not worth my memory so that's my basic take.

Strike Freedom is what happens when they take pretty much every gimmick and throw it onto one suit. Big chest cannons, dual rifles that link to become on big rifle, funnels, wings of light, beam shields etc etc.

Freedom is a cool looking gundam with a boring fighting style. Strike freedom looks boring as poo poo with the added benefit of its fighting style being 'even more beams'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Droyer posted:

Ground GM best take on the OG GM, barring the Custom and the Quel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Destiny and blast Impulse are the best suits in Destiny. I'd also add Savior, but the only thing it did was get chumped immediately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Strike Freedom looks better with the funnels deployed but the original Freedom is just better looking.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Droyer posted:

I think this is my favorite iteration, from like 10 seconds of 0080

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
GM Sniper II is too good for this world.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

chumbler posted:

Tallgeese and Leo are missing so the list is bad. But yeah I can't really rag on Nu being at the top.

NGL, I know this is not the popular opinion, but I think the Tallgeese is ugly as gently caress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think that the Strike Freedom has its merits. The gold inner frame is tacky, but it does feel like a more complete version of the Freedom - whereas its predecessor had lots of useless kibble and weird asymmetries, the SF is a remarkably efficient, purposeful design. The feather design on the wings actually serves a purpose, the shoulders are raised to give the arms greater freedom of movement, and every weapon has a place - the original Freedom had nowhere to stow its rifle or shield when they weren’t in use, but the SF can effortlessly switch between weapons without discarding any of them. The swivelling racks for the railguns and beam rifles are a genuinely cool idea that ensures the SF has ranged firepower even with its swords out, while the beam shields offer the most unobtrusive protection possible.

Cosmic Era suits are often ugly and overdesigned, but the SF really does feel like an elegant apex predator. It even tells a little bit of a story - Kira has spent half the show struggling with how to express his ideals within the chaos of a battlefield, and finally decides to take inspiration from his greatest enemy. The Strike Freedom is the weapon of a smarter, more purposeful pacifist who understands the importance of totally controlling a battle if he wants everyone to come out the other side alive - and of bringing along some serious demolition tools, because there’s a lot of genocidal madmen in the Cosmic Era, and they love their doomsday devices.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I like Gundam X and Double X more than most other non-UC hero suits. :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, you know. The Nu Gundam? It isn't just for show.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Darth Walrus posted:

It fights by breakdancing, and shoots its most powerful weapons by mooning people. It is good.

Does a good golfclap too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer posted:

it's not that bad, and hey it's a grunt suit that actually helped in a war

usually the mass-production plan of "take this suit that solo'd entire armies and remove all it's weapons then be puzzled as to why they're all exploding" doesn't work out that well

e:

HitTheTargets posted:

I like Gundam X and Double X more than most other non-UC hero suits. :shrug:

same but this might be because X is one of my favorite gundam shows if just for the whole "hey it turns out space wizards aren't the answer to everything" thing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 8, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The First Gundam GM I kind of sucks in a way that the Zaku II never did, owing largely to its dumb-looking head.

The 0080/0083 GM I.5 head owns and makes GMs look great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Sniper II is the best GM.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

The First Gundam GM I kind of sucks in a way that the Zaku II never did, owing largely to its dumb-looking head.

i kinda like how lovely it looks since that fits in lore-wise

"we gotta make these fuckin things asap gogogogogo"

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Don’t discount the Heavygun!

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The GM is ok, but mass production feddie suits don't start to really slap until the Jegan and Jesta.

The Zaku II is still rad as hell though, and should win any poll where it's an option.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Cosmic Era suits are often ugly and overdesigned, but the SF really does feel like an elegant apex predator. It even tells a little bit of a story - Kira has spent half the show struggling with how to express his ideals within the chaos of a battlefield, and finally decides to take inspiration from his greatest enemy.

That would imply that Kira was involved in the design of the Strike Freedom, which as far as I'm aware isn't true; Terminal just stole it from ZAFT. It's had it's origins changed a few times, but I don't think Kira ever played a part in the decision to give his suit funnels.

Yinlock posted:

usually the mass-production plan of "take this suit that solo'd entire armies and remove all it's weapons then be puzzled as to why they're all exploding" doesn't work out that well

That describes the GM perfectly though? All it ever really did on screen was explode and it's only in fluff that it's said to be effective.

Yinlock posted:

same but this might be because X is one of my favorite gundam shows if just for the whole "hey it turns out space wizards aren't the answer to everything" thing

To be fair, space wizards weren't any solution in Gundam originally and were more of an incidental thing in 0079. Kycilia thought they could be a solution for her ends, but beyond that Amuro, Lalah and Char being Newtypes didn't actually win them anything and the Solar Ray and Gundam diverting Zeon's attention played a bigger part than being Newtype did.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really like it's face, since it has a kind of sad-sack "woe is me?" expression I think perfectly suits it's role in the show. It's the plainness of the body I dislike. Further iterations like the 0080 variation that gave it a bit more detail are great, but I don't like the original.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 8, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I do think that the Strike Freedom has its merits. The gold inner frame is tacky, but it does feel like a more complete version of the Freedom - whereas its predecessor had lots of useless kibble and weird asymmetries, the SF is a remarkably efficient, purposeful design. The feather design on the wings actually serves a purpose, the shoulders are raised to give the arms greater freedom of movement, and every weapon has a place - the original Freedom had nowhere to stow its rifle or shield when they weren’t in use, but the SF can effortlessly switch between weapons without discarding any of them. The swivelling racks for the railguns and beam rifles are a genuinely cool idea that ensures the SF has ranged firepower even with its swords out, while the beam shields offer the most unobtrusive protection possible.
You know what, this sums up why I kinda like the design I guess. (mostly Destiny) Kira is a dweeb but the machine is a murdertron.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 8, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GMs are scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

That describes the GM perfectly though? All it ever really did on screen was explode and it's only in fluff that it's said to be effective.

that's still more than grunt suits usually get!

quote:

To be fair, space wizards weren't any solution in Gundam originally and were more of an incidental thing in 0079. Kycilia thought they could be a solution for her ends, but beyond that Amuro, Lalah and Char being Newtypes didn't actually win them anything and the Solar Ray and Gundam diverting Zeon's attention played a bigger part than being Newtype did.

yeah it's generally not that bad early on but it seems like almost every gundam series has to have some kind of chosen one space wizard and if only everyone was a space wizard like you, protagonist man, everything would be fine forever

(this is more directed at SEED/00, though Char wanted everyone to become space wizards but he's explicitly a crazy person so)

though for the record I don't mind newtypes, I just like X's take on them