Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Levantine posted:

Who is a good pilot for the Gundam Mk II? I know it's not great but it's animated well and I'm determined to use it.

Char, Amuro, Kamille, Judau are all so strong they can make basically any suit mediocre at least. Ditto some of the G-Reco guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Levantine posted:

Who is a good pilot for the Gundam Mk II? I know it's not great but it's animated well and I'm determined to use it.

I kept Aida in it for a good while; I was coming at it from the other angle of needing a unit to give her, and having a decent long-range attack for her to Charge with but not missing out on anything Newtype-dependent made it a solid match.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I kept Aida in it for a good while; I was coming at it from the other angle of needing a unit to give her, and having a decent long-range attack for her to Charge with but not missing out on anything Newtype-dependent made it a solid match.

Aida was my first thought. Her unit is really not much to write home about but cheap Charge is good. I don't want to put any of the top tier pilots in it because they usually benefit from their own machines. I think I may stick Seabrook in the Hi-nu when I get there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Levantine posted:

Aida was my first thought. Her unit is really not much to write home about but cheap Charge is good. I don't want to put any of the top tier pilots in it because they usually benefit from their own machines. I think I may stick Seabrook in the Hi-nu when I get there.

Char doesn't have anything unique in either of his machines so feel free to stick him in whatever. The Nightengale can be an absolute monster with a good Newtype though, its obscene.

Seabook is pretty meh no matter what but he can do okay in the Hi-Nu since he has innate hit and run. That's about all he has going for him though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In a franchise where they regularly do goofy cross-dimensional poo poo, ignore canonical character deaths, and create events like an Infinitely Large Chirico Cuvie Killing The Anti-Spiral With A Pistol, I am 1000% certain that they can make up some bullshit excuse for Build Fighters to work. "How are we going to do this" is pretty low on the list of things keeping a series out considering we got Hatsune Miku.

I mean the current game has as a foundational aspect of the setting "It's magic".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just have Nine or someone be all "oh yeah sure we made a factory that makes building this poo poo as easy as gunpla" and now you got the Build Fighter and Keroro peeps onboard no problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they never do build fighters it wont be because its 'impossible' or w/e it'll because someone on either the sunrise or banpresto side doesnt want to

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wow, just everyone is in love with Amari, huh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Wow, just everyone is in love with Amari, huh.
Well she looks like she comes from another, softer universe thanks to the tan or whatever outline around her portrait.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Satomi Sato is very powerful.

Sciencegar
Dec 21, 2013

I'm afraid its because of Super-Science.

Regular-Ass Science is innocent.
So I'm only just playing V, and I'm stuck trying to decide the last TAC Customise option. So far I've taken SP Regen, TAC Point Bonus and Critical Boost, and now I can't pick between the remaining final options:

+20 SP would fit my general playstyle of relying on Spirits, but in a game with natural regen and upgradable accuracy it's not the biggest help. Incredibly useful, but not a must-have.
+1 ExC doesn't seem like the hugest benefit, but it isn't nothing, plenty of time i've been 1 ExC short of doing what I want. Also it synergises well with Critical Boost.
+10 Will seemed like the weakest option to me at first, but a lot of people have spoken highly of the benefit of accessing all attacks and getting to Super Mode early.

Are there any elements I'm missing here? My playstyle is generally 'Rush at enemy, rely on spirits for survival, then group up for tactical stuff later'.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
+1 ExC gives you 2 starting once someone is a Great Ace which means you can boost or be 1 bop away from multiaction or whatever.

+10 Will is super strong and you can't gently caress it up, +1 ExC is also super good, but in X it is the #1 de facto best choice because of a skill that starts you with +2 so you can multiaction from the start. ExC is the pro choice for smart dudes who want maximum potential and options.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Sciencegar posted:

My playstyle is generally 'Rush at enemy, rely on spirits for survival, then group up for tactical stuff later'.

No this sounds about right for a game with 'Super Robot' right in the title.

KoB
May 1, 2009
my playstyle is maximum damage all the time so I go with morale.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

+1 ExC gives you 2 starting once someone is a Great Ace which means you can boost or be 1 bop away from multiaction or whatever.

+10 Will is super strong and you can't gently caress it up, +1 ExC is also super good, but in X it is the #1 de facto best choice because of a skill that starts you with +2 so you can multiaction from the start. ExC is the pro choice for smart dudes who want maximum potential and options.

It's pretty hard to actually get turn 1 multi action trains rolling on expert in X without any morale because of the sheer amount of HP and armor enemies have, I find.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's pretty hard to actually get turn 1 multi action trains rolling on expert in X without any morale because of the sheer amount of HP and armor enemies have, I find.

To be fair on Expert it isn't like turn count matters much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair on Expert it isn't like turn count matters much.

I always try to finish stages as quickly as possible because I get itchy if I don't.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

I always try to finish stages as quickly as possible because I get itchy if I don't.

As a fellow sufferer of the Impact curse, I commiserate with this post.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

This is the only way to play SRPGs, IMO

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

This is the only way to play SRPGs, IMO

Actually, the only way is to slowly solo maps with awful characters because you've sunk all your money into Patrick and you're gonna make it worthwhile.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Solo maps with the Megafauna.

Nautilus is allowed but only if you spend all your SP on Extra Action for Megafauna.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

In a franchise where they regularly do goofy cross-dimensional poo poo, ignore canonical character deaths, and create events like an Infinitely Large Chirico Cuvie Killing The Anti-Spiral With A Pistol, I am 1000% certain that they can make up some bullshit excuse for Build Fighters to work. "How are we going to do this" is pretty low on the list of things keeping a series out considering we got Hatsune Miku.

I mean the current game has as a foundational aspect of the setting "It's magic".

which super robot wars game has hatsune miku

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DisDisDis posted:

which super robot wars game has hatsune miku

UX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1erplihbQ

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Gideon just announced AGTP's upcoming translation patch for Hero Senki.

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/994751466807087104

Congrats on yet another notch on your belt, Zenki!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm happy, for Miku

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hokuto posted:

Gideon just announced AGTP's upcoming translation patch for Hero Senki.

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/994751466807087104

Congrats on yet another notch on your belt, Zenki!

That's cool! We finally get to see Gilliam's first appearance. And the XN-Geist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuaStQy6-E

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
X is my first and I just got the G-Self and Arcane, how should I be spending points on stats? I’ve been trying to add a pip to every stat 1 by 1 to have a balanced stack of units, but that probably isn’t the smartest strategy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Taintrunner posted:

X is my first and I just got the G-Self and Arcane, how should I be spending points on stats? I’ve been trying to add a pip to every stat 1 by 1 to have a balanced stack of units, but that probably isn’t the smartest strategy.

It really isn't. Focus on what your units do best. Dodgy units do not need HP or armour, bulky units do not need evasion. How much an unit needs EN depends on its attacks, some are mostly ammo-based thus they don't really need the EN upgrades that badly. Increasing weapons tends to be more expensive, so it shouldn't be a priority early-game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It really isn't. Focus on what your units do best. Dodgy units do not need HP or armour, bulky units do not need evasion. How much an unit needs EN depends on its attacks, some are mostly ammo-based thus they don't really need the EN upgrades that badly. Increasing weapons tends to be more expensive, so it shouldn't be a priority early-game.

That being said, every unit has a unique upgrade at 50% upgrade. But you only get it with 5 bars in every stat(except weapons). I tried to pump dodge etc on some reals and didn't get it until every stat had 5 bars.

They range from mediocre to ridiculously good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's cool! We finally get to see Gilliam's first appearance. And the XN-Geist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuaStQy6-E

I'm extremely amped, as Gilliam is one of my favorite Banpresto Originals and the events of Hero Senki are actually canon to OG Gilliam and hugely important to the plot of OG2.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

That being said, every unit has a unique upgrade at 50% upgrade. But you only get it with 5 bars in every stat(except weapons). I tried to pump dodge etc on some reals and didn't get it until every stat had 5 bars.

They range from mediocre to ridiculously good.

Yeah, but they shouldn't be something you tackle immediately, wait until you have a good cashflow. I haven't played X yet though, so I'm not sure if it's nice on the money front (though it's a modern SRW, so I can imagine it is).

At the very least, I read that Heero and Wing Zero still have the exact same ace bonus and FUB as in Z2-2 and I can only imagine that's just as good as in that game. Zero System-boosted Rolling Buster Rifle was so much fun.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I just got these myself. The G self is a good unit and benefits greatly from energy upgrades as its best attack and barrier eat it up quickly.

On the other hand the arcane looks underwhelming and desperately needs upgrades in energy (its only good attack eats 20 en a pop) accuracy and mobility. Personally unless it gets dramatically upgraded I'm benching it first chance I get.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The G-Arcane isn't great but if you're determined to use Aida she's 100% UC suit compatible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nyeehg posted:

I just got these myself. The G self is a good unit and benefits greatly from energy upgrades as its best attack and barrier eat it up quickly.

On the other hand the arcane looks underwhelming and desperately needs upgrades in energy (its only good attack eats 20 en a pop) accuracy and mobility. Personally unless it gets dramatically upgraded I'm benching it first chance I get.

It gets one upgrade 30+ stages into the game that adds a decent P attack to it that is roughly as powerful as the Twin Beam Saber attack the G-Self starts with.

Yeah it's not a great unit.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Meanwhile, the G-Lucifer is pretty good but is pilot-locked.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

Meanwhile, the G-Lucifer is pretty good but is pilot-locked.

The G-Lucifer is an extremely great unit because it's got an extremely spammable and extraordinarily powerful "finisher" so it's very combat capable, yet it's crewed by two support pilots with a wealth of valuable support spells. You basically get two free support pilots for one launch slot without compromising your combat effectiveness.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Does Rariaiya get Bless?

Also I think I'll stick Aida in the Yggdrasil if I unlock it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

this is actually how I upgrade and it makes you hella strong in the end since you have 20 units at 70% everything just loving poo poo up

basically figure out what you want to use in the endgame and get their stats to 5 since it's pretty cheap and you often get a nice bonus out of it, then upgrade weapons slowly as you get cash

e: the main problem with switching Aida is she's not a newtype so you can't just stick her in the nu gundam or sazabi and call it a day

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
She gets one of them (I think it's Bless?) but if you Ace her it upgrades into cheap Hope anyway, which is ludicrously good on a main support pilot.

As a combat unit the G-Lucifer is adequate. The machine chassis is fairly strong (for a sweeper) but it's not as though Raraiya is an MC-tier pilot, plus their Spirit list is this weird half-rear end combat/support mix spread around between both pilots, with Valor on Nored, who as a subpilot has more limited SP options.

They're still a highly respectable unit. I started putting them in my mid-late game support rank and have zero regrets. They're very mediocre on the boss phase but those funnels rip through the first couple enemy waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, but they shouldn't be something you tackle immediately, wait until you have a good cashflow. I haven't played X yet though, so I'm not sure if it's nice on the money front (though it's a modern SRW, so I can imagine it is).

At the very least, I read that Heero and Wing Zero still have the exact same ace bonus and FUB as in Z2-2 and I can only imagine that's just as good as in that game. Zero System-boosted Rolling Buster Rifle was so much fun.

A couple of the 50% bonuses are so good you should rush them once everybody you use has a baseline of 2 or 3 in their relevant stats. The Gratan becoming a resupply unit as well as repair is good enough to consider it, imo.

• Locked thread