Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Carrots does this too, except sometimes he'll do it after we open the door, and then he'll realize "Oh, it's open!" and happily jump out.

Just a lazy saturday laying on the couch.
Adorable rabbit.

The Harlequin is back at the vet due to a stasis episode and blood in his urine. He's gotten through the stasis, so he'll survive, but they're keeping him overnight to figure out what caused the blood. We're thinking either UTI (hopefully, since it's easier to treat) or bladder stones. The Himalayan has set himself firmly in front of the empty cage and won't leave. These are not bonded rabbits - they used to be bonded, then one day randomly started fighting and now if they're allowed near each other they'll go full-on fur-tearing, circling, jumping rabbit fight. But the Himalayan is still waiting patiently for his not-friend to get back.

We alternate who gets let out, and they spend most of the time sleeping near the other's cage.

I do not understand these rabbits.

Luckily, despite his other health issues, the Harlequin does great at the vet. He loves going in the car, he loves being at the vet, and he has no trouble with anesthesia - he's had to go under 3 times and he's less than a year old, and he's had absolutely no problems. We're hoping he doesn't have bladder stones though, in case those have to be surgically removed. Each time they get anesthetized it's a risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots is the worst.

We came home from work and let him out of his cage, and we gave him dinner right when we let him out like we usually do. Normally he inhales his food, but this time he went to one of his hang out spots and just sort of chilled. He's done it before, but it's not normal. Then after a while, we kept trying to nudge him towards eating, but he wouldn't. We noticed he was laying down a lot, and he would move around frequently and then lay down in a new position all stretched out for a minute, readjust, and do the same thing. I kept trying to coax him in to eating, offering him his favorites, but he just wouldn't eat anything. I was able to pick him up completely, and that's how I knew he really needed to see a vet. He never lets us even get two hands on him.

We called the vet, but they weren't able to get him in until tomorrow afternoon, but we asked for a recommendation for an emergency vet which they gave us. After we got in, the vet tech looked him over, said he did seem sort of lethargic, and had a somewhat low temp, but not terribly so. She told us to wait for the vet to come in. While we were waiting, we gave him a few pellets. He didn't seem too interested, but he did end up eating one. By the time the vet got in, though, he had started eating a bunch of them. They sent us home with some critical care, and now he's sitting in his cage inhaling pellets and lettuce.

Hope you like that $117 bag of critical care, you dick.

(Honestly, it sounds like it was the beginning of stasis, and the vet said it seems like we caught it early/quickly, and I'm really glad he's ok because I've been really stressed with work lately and I would have lost it if something happened to him. We've really been bonding lately and giving him head rubs has really been soothing for both of us.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You'll appreciate having the bag of critical care if he goes into stasis again.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I know, I was just thinking the other day that I wish I had some around from my experience with my previous bun.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
If he was stretching and squirming frequently like he couldn't get comfortable it could also be from gas

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro’s vets used to send us home with critical care and a small bottle of reglan (metoclopramide) to keep at home in case we saw the beginnings of stasis. Saved us a few trips to the e-vet.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fyi my gf follows carrots on instagram and loves him also

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

The Walrus posted:

fyi my gf follows carrots on instagram and loves him also

Aw, thanks! I've been slacking on posting pictures of him.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

I've got a rabbit suffering from stasis. Thought we'd caught it in good time on monday night as with treatment she was doing ok by thurs/fri (or she was just pretending) but then went downhill. Was the last day she could get her injections at the vet today so its critical care every 2 hours and hoping she is doing better by tomorrow or its going to be the second emergency vet visiting in a week to start trying iv fluids :saddowns:

we know she needs the critical care but hate stressing her out when hand feeding, is there a good balance?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

clear eyes full farts posted:

we know she needs the critical care but hate stressing her out when hand feeding, is there a good balance?

Just do it when the vet says to. Her stress is second to ensuring she stays fed/hydrated. If she’s tough to handle when syringe feeding, burrito-ing her in a towel works well. Eventually she’ll stop fighting it as much and if she’s anything like our buns she’ll start licking her lips when she smells the fruity critical care smell. Also see about getting antistasis/laxative meds and potentially painkillers for her if you don’t have them already. They’re usually strongly fruit flavored and your rabbit will come to see them like treats, which can make the whole feeding affair much easier as they start to associate it positively with rewards.

When Jareth got a serious ear infection this past summer and didn’t eat for a week we had to feed critical care 4x per day, and syringes of antibiotics, antistasis, and painkillers at various intervals for 3 weeks. He’s usually the world’s most combative rear end in a top hat but he was downright cooperative by like day 4 and would eagerly slurp up his meds without too much issue. He’d still eventually get tired and start nipping at the towel, but after enough practice you get quick at syringe feeding (5-10 minutes) and that helps keep everyone chill. But you also gotta be like ‘gently caress your feelings, bun, you will eat this food and get better because I love you.’

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, one of our 12 lb flemmies got pretty sick a few years ago and I ended up having to critical care her every 3-4 hours for days on end. First before her surgery then after, I'm not sure how many days it was because it was all a blur.

Unfortunately, she never really stopped fighting and as she got healthier, she actually fought it harder and harder. But I got my strategy down to where I had a specific couch I would burrito her on, then straddle the burrito (so she couldn't back up out of it) and use the overhang on the couch to give me better access to the bottom of the mouth for syringing.

The trick of sticking the syringe through the side of the mouth behind the front teeth but before the molars helped a lot too. You can get pretty good at sticking it in there and shooting the critical care down their throat.

Also if you and your vet are comfortable with it, you can administer IV fluids to your bun yourself. It isn't too hard to get find the scruff of their neck and stick the needle between the folds of skin.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Unfortunately, she never really stopped fighting and as she got healthier, she actually fought it harder and harder. But I got my strategy down to where I had a specific couch I would burrito her on, then straddle the burrito (so she couldn't back up out of it) and use the overhang on the couch to give me better access to the bottom of the mouth for syringing.

You don’t put a back on your burrito?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You don’t put a back on your burrito?

I do, it’s more about her feeling that was no escape and thus struggling less since twelve pounds of rabbit is hard to manage by oneself when every single feeding is a life or death struggle from her perspective. I could also use my knees to pin the towel tight while my hands are busy syringing the absurd amount of critical care twelve pounds of rabbit requires.

She’s the queen bun, so I understand the anger on her part due to the affront to her dignity. Her sister accepts the situation far quicker and doesn’t struggle nearly as much.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I just got a rabbit today. We named him Buntolo Colòn (Bartolo Colòn). He’s two years old and the most chill animal.

The problem is my dogs. I have a 12 year old standard dachshund and a five year old mini dachshund. They are obsessed with him. The mini is pretty cool. She grooms him and they’ll chase each other around, but she starts to get a little nippy with Buntolo. My old guy only wants to bite him. I was able to get him to ignore Buntolo to an extent or at least not bite, but he’s not consistent. I can’t even have Buntolo caged in the same room without them crying and freaking out. Meanwhile he just sits in his cage, eating hay, not giving a gently caress.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to reinforce good manners from everyone?

Behold the lavender bun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I totally respect the desire to want to have the bunny and dogs comfortably hanging out together but I can’t really advise it given the behavior you describe.

As well as you might be able to train the dogs (and at 12, the older one seems like he may be more trouble than it’s worth) it sounds like they’re currently displaying at least some degree of play nipping at best and prey drive at worst. Even if you can get that behavior solidly dialed in 99.9% of the time, there’s still a tremendous likelihood that somebody eventually acts on instinct and chases or bites too hard and somebody gets badly hurt. There are unfortunately tons of cases out there of pets that are “fine” for days or months or years until the day when they just aren’t and one of them becomes lunch. It could even be something as simple as the rabbit injuring itself while trying to flee from a situation it doesn’t like (seriously- panicking rabbits are like dressage horses, they’ll break their limbs and lacerate their eyes on sharp edges and injure their spines before they stop flailing).

Buns are prey animals and for all that there is a ton of range and diversity to their personalities, their social behaviors and communication are largely quite different from those of dogs and cats. Rabbits don’t play the way that dogs and cats do. If you want to see social behavior, you’re way better off getting another rabbit and bonding them, but that’s just my 2c.

Edit: missed the part about both dogs being dachshunds- those things were basically bred to chase rabbits down holes and retrieve them. That’s gonna be really hard to train out, imo, you might have been better off with some bigger dogs, ironically. :woof:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2018

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Everyone is doing better today. I’ve always crated my dogs when I’m not home, so I’m not worried about coming home to a massacre or anything.

I’ve had my old guy for 11 years so I’m never getting rid of him. He’s kind of the same way with cats but he eventually ignores him. He’s pretty much ignoring Bun in his cage today. He only cares if Bun throws a toy around.

The younger one is a different story. She was playing with Buntolo the way she plays with any other dog and was protecting him from my old guy. Today, she is obsessed. She will not leave his cage and just whines.

He’s on a table where the dogs can’t reach him. Either the dogs are out or Bun is out, unless both my husband and I are both home and both dogs are on leashes.

That’s the short term solution. My long term solution is to get a solid playpen to attach to the cage with a vinyl/laminate remnant under it so Buntolo has more space to hop around. Again, the dogs are never out if we’re not home and their crate is in a different room.

Does anyone have any playpen or setup suggestions? I’m trying for something like this https://youtu.be/U2AlWHF5sVM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That sounds like it would work. I wasn’t suggesting that you get rid of the dogs, I apologize if that’s what it looked like. As long as the animals are only together when supervised by a human and not given free reign of the place when home alone (or as long as the rabbit is caged while that’s happening) then things are probably gonna be fine. More enclosed space for Buntolo to run around in is also a good safe bet.

If you’re building a run to attach to his cage, my suggestion is to get an adequately tall puppy ex-pen (make sure it’s high enough that he can’t hop out, always size up in that regard and assume that a determined bun will jump higher than you expect/find a way to climb on top of something and leap off of it. Depending on the bun and what’s in the pen 36” of height may or may not be adequate, and I know people with big rabbits who need 48”) on Craigslist. In my experience people are always getting rid of them in good shape, and for a fraction of what they cost new. I like using multiple butterfly clips or cheap carabiners to attach the pen and cage for easy removal/placement. You’ll also want a floor covering of some kind (rabbits don’t really get good traction on wood floors and the slipperiness stresses them out and can greatly increase the chance of self-injury) like a carpet or stretched fleece blanket or something. Again, Craigslist has been my friend here and I usually pick up an inexpensive used area rug from somebody local and then toss it when it gets gross. Obviously don’t line your rabbit enclosure with a fancy heirloom Persian rug. I’ve also used interlocking rubber tiles (like the kind you put in a garage or workout space) but the seams can collect moisture. You may want to put something plastic or rubber underneath the enclosure floor like a tarp or painter’s plastic to catch wet gross stuff. Buntolo will pee and poop in his run and you don’t want that stuff soaking down and ruining your floor.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just do it when the vet says to. Her stress is second to ensuring she stays fed/hydrated. If she’s tough to handle when syringe feeding, burrito-ing her in a towel works well. Eventually she’ll stop fighting it as much and if she’s anything like our buns she’ll start licking her lips when she smells the fruity critical care smell. Also see about getting antistasis/laxative meds and potentially painkillers for her if you don’t have them already. They’re usually strongly fruit flavored and your rabbit will come to see them like treats, which can make the whole feeding affair much easier as they start to associate it positively with rewards.

When Jareth got a serious ear infection this past summer and didn’t eat for a week we had to feed critical care 4x per day, and syringes of antibiotics, antistasis, and painkillers at various intervals for 3 weeks. He’s usually the world’s most combative rear end in a top hat but he was downright cooperative by like day 4 and would eagerly slurp up his meds without too much issue. He’d still eventually get tired and start nipping at the towel, but after enough practice you get quick at syringe feeding (5-10 minutes) and that helps keep everyone chill. But you also gotta be like ‘gently caress your feelings, bun, you will eat this food and get better because I love you.’

thank you! we have been harassing her will little amounts until fed. After yet another e-vet visit we have medicine we can give her ourselves (has been getting injections from the normal vet but they are closed over the long weekend) and the rabbit is doing much better

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, one of our 12 lb flemmies got pretty sick a few years ago and I ended up having to critical care her every 3-4 hours for days on end. First before her surgery then after, I'm not sure how many days it was because it was all a blur.

don't know how you managed this! we are having this trouble from a 2.5lb netherland dwarf :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

don't know how you managed this! we are having this trouble from a 2.5lb netherland dwarf :3:
Dwarf is harder.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dwarf rabbits, so named not for their stature but for their stubborn nature and affinity for war axes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord of the Rings was heavily inspired by the British nonfiction work "The Private Life of the Rabbit," hence the scene where Thorin pees on the Arkenstone to keep the other dwarves away from it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean Harriet does act like a Nazgul

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Buntolo is settling in well. I got my first thumps and binkys from him during his exercise tonight.

The dogs are getting more used to his presence as well. At best they’re ignoring him, at worst the mini whines outside his cage.

Buntolo has started humping my arm when I reach inside his cage, though. He’s getting neutered soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bitchymcjones posted:

Buntolo has started humping my arm when I reach inside his cage, though. He’s getting neutered soon.

Sounds like he’d make a good bondmate one day.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I’m getting him a bondmate with in the year, hopefully. I’m planning on going through my local house rabbit society.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Who run Bartertown?

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I got Buntolo‘s playpen set up, but he hasn’t quite grasped the concept of the litter box. I’m hoping it will work out with a new hay rack. Does anyone just throw the hay into the litter box? I’ve seen people do it, but that just seems gross to me. If that’s what works for him, that’s what I’ll have to do. He has been giving a lot of approving thumps to the setup though.

He was very tolerant of being pet by a 15 month old today, even though she was very gentle with him. I’m happy he’s such a good and laid back bun. :3:

Bonus bun pic (from his previous owner):

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bitchymcjones posted:

I got Buntolo‘s playpen set up, but he hasn’t quite grasped the concept of the litter box. I’m hoping it will work out with a new hay rack. Does anyone just throw the hay into the litter box? I’ve seen people do it, but that just seems gross to me. If that’s what works for him, that’s what I’ll have to do. He has been giving a lot of approving thumps to the setup though.

He was very tolerant of being pet by a 15 month old today, even though she was very gentle with him. I’m happy he’s such a good and laid back bun. :3:

Bonus bun pic (from his previous owner):

We like to toss a bit of hay in the litter box for them to chew on while in there (rabbit GI tracts seem to work better if they can eat a bit while pooping) but the bulk of it gets put into two hang-on mangers, one of which hangs by the litter box (partially because of the design of their cage, partially as a backup in case their “main access” one runs out, and partially because you can never have enough toilet hay when you have three rabbits). If they’re in a pen/outside their cage I tend to put the hay in their “outside” litter box that we use for that purpose.

The trick is to not spread the hay around in the litter box (if the rabbit chooses to do so, that’s his/her call)- just put a generous clump of it in like the corner third of the box and it should stay both easily accessible and clean. Rabbits eat their poop but any hay that gets urine on it probably won’t be eaten, in my experience. If you think Buntolo needs more hay feel free to just pile it into his enclosure. You can never really have enough hay.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

This is good stuff.
To add, this is a typical setup for many house rabbit people. Definitely make sure you separate the hay and the litter in the pan since it makes monitoring a bit easier. Having a hay trough/bin next to the litter box lets your bun eat a larger volume (potentially). Having the hay in the box/pan may also allows for easier eating of cecotropes - night poops. Not 100% sure of that last bit but at least there is anecdotal evidence to suggest it is legit.
Keep in mind that your bun will eventually use the litter box but will continue to deposit pills in areas that need to be marked for territory. Small amounts and infrequent, but nothing to be alarmed about. Chinning is also used for territory marking more frequently, but you'll not notice that because humans smell is not sensitive enough.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

you can never have enough toilet hay when you have three rabbits

preach.

content (this is two of said three rabs):

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
went camping this last weekend and had the absolute privilege and treat to see a whole family (6+) wild buns (jackrabbits I think?) running around and playing together at silflay. Full on leaping over one another and making little happy grunts as they just TORE around. unfortunately I couldn't get a great pic but man, what an amazing thing to see. buns are the best. look at these guys move!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

boberteatskitten posted:

preach.

content (this is two of said three rabs):

Your Flemmies don't actually move, do they. You just arrange them in to funny positions to take pictures.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 17, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots is such a con man.

Girlfriend and I went on a day long hike yesterday that wiped us out. We're normally up pretty early, and Carrots normally gets fed early. This morning around 6, he was making a ruckus in his cage and wouldn't stop, so I went downstairs, fed him, and climbed back in to bed. He woke me up a few more times by making a ruckus, but I was tired and just went back to bed. At some point, he woke my girlfriend up, and she went down and fed him again and went back to sleep.

Around 10, he was making a lot of noise, again, and woke us both up. As my girlfriend got up, I told her to not feed him because I already gave him pellets, and then she told me she already gave him pellets.

Little food monster.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

netherland dwarf update, the rabbit is now well and full of energy, happy and unaware of the $700 in vets bills. thank you all for your help :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Carrots is such a con man.

Girlfriend and I went on a day long hike yesterday that wiped us out. We're normally up pretty early, and Carrots normally gets fed early. This morning around 6, he was making a ruckus in his cage and wouldn't stop, so I went downstairs, fed him, and climbed back in to bed. He woke me up a few more times by making a ruckus, but I was tired and just went back to bed. At some point, he woke my girlfriend up, and she went down and fed him again and went back to sleep.

Around 10, he was making a lot of noise, again, and woke us both up. As my girlfriend got up, I told her to not feed him because I already gave him pellets, and then she told me she already gave him pellets.

Little food monster.

lol, they do that- but try to give him hay if he doesn’t have it. Too many pellets are gonna make him obese and that ain’t good on rabbit legs, although it’s adorable as all hell. If he’s begging, give him (1-2) treats at a time or fruit/vegetable chunks, and maybe try feeding him pellets/veg twice per day and/or readdressing how much he’s getting now- especially if he still has some growing to do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

netherland dwarf update, the rabbit is now well and full of energy, happy and unaware of the $700 in vets bills. thank you all for your help :3:

nice rabbit room you dork

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

lol, they do that- but try to give him hay if he doesn’t have it. Too many pellets are gonna make him obese and that ain’t good on rabbit legs, although it’s adorable as all hell. If he’s begging, give him (1-2) treats at a time or fruit/vegetable chunks, and maybe try feeding him pellets/veg twice per day and/or readdressing how much he’s getting now- especially if he still has some growing to do.

Yeah, he has access to hay all the time. We give him 1/8th of a cup of pellets in the morning and another 1/8th at night. He was just double dipping today. We also give him about 2 cups of leafy green veggies each time we feed him. Vet says he's at a healthy weight (~4.5 lbs) and to keep doing what we've been doing food-wise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Yeah, he has access to hay all the time. We give him 1/8th of a cup of pellets in the morning and another 1/8th at night. He was just double dipping today. We also give him about 2 cups of leafy green veggies each time we feed him. Vet says he's at a healthy weight (~4.5 lbs) and to keep doing what we've been doing food-wise.

:420: :420: :420:

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Buntolo just freaked out. I had him in the playpen like I always do when I’m home. Out of nowhere, he started bouncing off the walls of his playpen and then jumped over the wall. We lost him for a few minutes but found him under the recliner. His heart is racing and I can see the whites of his eyes. He’s in his small cage with a blanket over it and he seems to be calming down. What just happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bitchymcjones posted:

Buntolo just freaked out. I had him in the playpen like I always do when I’m home. Out of nowhere, he started bouncing off the walls of his playpen and then jumped over the wall. We lost him for a few minutes but found him under the recliner. His heart is racing and I can see the whites of his eyes. He’s in his small cage with a blanket over it and he seems to be calming down. What just happened?

He's still not neutered right? That sounds like just super hyper happy bun behavior, especially if he wasn't thumping or too scared when you found him. If he was doing circles around you, that's a more direct sign of attraction.