Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Node posted:

I'm a Civ 4 grognard but I want to try this game. Will the next update fix the "yeild" bug? (I know you can download a fix on the steam workshop.) Will it make the single player experience tolerable, unlike how the OP says its abysmal?

Unless you sleep alongside a Civ 4 body pillow, there's no way of knowing whether "likes Civ 4" means "hates Civ 6." If you want to play against challenging AI, you won't like it at all. If you don't usually play on harder difficulties anyway, it is fun and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I wish there were a "stop bothering me!" diplomacy option, I just want to click in peace

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

homullus posted:

Civ 4 body pillow

link to seller please

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I wish there were a "stop bothering me!" diplomacy option, I just want to click in peace

:same:

And in Warhammer 2. Wish they’d stfu and leave me alone since they’re always bad garbage deals. Don’t call me, I’ll call you

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

wasn't this a thing in civ 3, but if you did it, it incurred a diplo penalty lol

Prav posted:

link to seller please

business mansa musa on one side, cheesecake mansa musa on the other

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The White Dragon posted:

wasn't this a thing in civ 3, but if you did it, it incurred a diplo penalty lol

This was even an option in civ 1. But without the diplo penalty because there was no such thing as diplo.

You did get a popup when they declared war after being ignored.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
holy poo poo an emergency in a PYDT game!!!!!!!!!!!

it's against an opponent I have not yet found (they scouted me) and i only have 32 turns to find them, and take over a city OR ELSE!

Yeah gently caress that.

Also while I'm at it, Dark Ages game: GG Georgia, China starting in tundra is probably the worst RNG I could have gotten, BEFORE I fed you a settler like an idiot. Doh. Definitely have learned to not be so trusting in early eras and that play has changed my approach in future games, so it was a great lesson!

As a special request moving forward: if you're hosting a PYDT game, please save the game, and take turn one of every player just to make sure they are not in Tundra tile starting. If there is a tundra start, restart from the esc menu -> save, turn one for all civs rinse repeat. When you find a non-tundra starting map for all players, load that save, take your turn one, and upload just as you normally would. This takes a LOT of time sometimes, but it is worth the time investment so one player isn't immediately poo poo out of luck for starting yields. I've got a handful of games hosted and after doing this approach it has taken me anywhere from 30 minutes - 2 hours of generating maps until 6/6 people were NOT in tundra. It loving sucks that the Map Gen is still so drunk it favors City States > players for placement.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 9, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Still not sure they have to diplomacy/warmonger settings right. A bunch of civs war dec me because I'm winning. Their allied city states join in. The city states conquer and raise one of my cities. I conquer them. AI declares an emergency. What did the fuckers think was going to happen?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

onesixtwo posted:

As a special request moving forward: if you're hosting a PYDT game, please save the game, and take turn one of every player just to make sure they are not in Tundra tile starting.

Yeah, that's an important thing to do still sadly. Though personally I'm not starting any new games until after the next patch and the (hopeful) death of Magnus, myself, even though I would like to; I want to play Persia again in a game with more normal settings than the one I'm currently them in (though I'm doing very, very well in that one; the world is going to need to band together to stop me soon and I think most people aren't even in the medieval era yet).

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

holy poo poo an emergency in a PYDT game!!!!!!!!!!!

it's against an opponent I have not yet found (they scouted me) and i only have 32 turns to find them, and take over a city OR ELSE!

Yeah gently caress that.

Yeah, and unless you have an army strong enough to defeat warcarts that is probably quite wise to reject. I hate Sumeria.

quote:

Also while I'm at it, Dark Ages game: GG Georgia, China starting in tundra is probably the worst RNG I could have gotten, BEFORE I fed you a settler like an idiot. Doh. Definitely have learned to not be so trusting in early eras and that play has changed my approach in future games, so it was a great lesson!

Cheers. Can confirm that I (and other humans) are all heartless bastards.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yeah, and unless you have an army strong enough to defeat warcarts that is probably quite wise to reject. I hate Sumeria.

And there's also an emergency in the other game we're in together. Alexander has just conquered Netherlands' capital. I went and checked our relative army strengths, map positions... well, I think Alexander has just won some nice 2400 gold.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

markus_cz posted:

And there's also an emergency in the other game we're in together. Alexander has just conquered Netherlands' capital. I went and checked our relative army strengths, map positions... well, I think Alexander has just won some nice 2400 gold.

As I am Alexander I find this most agreeable. Heh.

In case anyone was wondering forested grassland hills adjacent to Torres del Paine are very good tiles indeed.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Patch notes:

https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-rise-and-fall-spring-2018-update-release-date/

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, those all look pretty good. Democracy isn't obviously the best choice of the last three governments now, some civs got some good buffs or nerfs, and Magnus is less egregious than before. Still good, but not as good. That all looks like a good step in the right direction.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

quote:

Made it so when somebody wins the game in the Information Era, it reset all players to be in a Normal Age and take away all Dedication bonuses. This puts everyone on a level playing field for "One More Turn" mode. (If somebody wins in an earlier era, continue the progression of eras and Ages as normal.)

:confused:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
RIP Magnus. Also wish we were getting some more leaders!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gyshall posted:

Also wish we were getting some more leaders!

These patches do not need to take any longer than they already do.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Gyshall posted:

RIP Magnus.

lol he's still broken as gently caress

also lol: buffing the best modern gov, fascism

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Information age is the last one isn't it? All it means is that it won't put you in a Golden/Dark age, it'll carry it on as normal. Seems fine to me?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

lol he's still broken as gently caress

Yeah. Like: one of Pingala's 2nd upgrades can give you a 20% boost on a library. Libraries cost 80 production, so that discount means you get it done faster with 13.33 less production.

By the time you unlock a governor, you're already getting 30+ production from a single forest chop. So one chop from New Magnus is still more powerful than Pingala's ability that's higher level and vastly more limited and more expensive in terms of governor turns. They scale at roughly comparable rates too: if e.g. you use Pingala to build all 3 campus buildings in your main spaceport city, over the course of the game he saves you 138.33 production, a little bit more than 10% extra compared to a single endgame chop from New Magnus.

They didn't touch Magnus's settler bonus either.

EDIT: also thank christ they're making city-state liberation bonuses scale. it always annoyed me when I'd liberate city-states in the late game and get bumped all the way down to 3 envoys.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 10, 2018

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

quote:

Fixed a bug preventing the Persian Immortal from using melee as its default attack.
So does this mean Immortals can take cities now?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Update just went live.

And I just bought the Khmer/Indonesia pack for some more TSL goodness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

Information age is the last one isn't it? All it means is that it won't put you in a Golden/Dark age, it'll carry it on as normal. Seems fine to me?

The way it reads is that you'll get taken out of a Golden/Dark age if you're in one, and all post-victory civilizations will be in a normal age regardless of era score or their current age. Which I understand mechanically, but I have no idea why it would be necessary or who was asking for it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I think the important thing is that this is specific to the ‘one more turn mode.’ It will never come up if you don’t click ‘one more turn’ at a victory screen. It’s a rebalancing in the post game to just reset everyone’s golden age bonuses etc. no idea why you’d use that button, but yeah it isn’t going to ever be an impact for 99% of players. Meanwhile, hello buff to samurai.

Do patches hit PYDT games, or are we loading based off the time of game creation?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roger Explosion posted:

So does this mean Immortals can take cities now?

Yes. Which they used to be able to do; originally they didn't have a melee attack, then they were given one, then they bugged something a month or two ago and broke it so they could only ranged attack again. Which has been frustrating in my game I'm Persia in and forced me to delay taking some cities due to not having other melee units nearby when the bug hit. Also made my siege tower useless.

Bit late for this in that game, since I have knights there now, but will be good if I start a new one with them. They're still one of my favorite civs, possibly my favorite.

onesixtwo posted:

Do patches hit PYDT games, or are we loading based off the time of game creation?

I've had patches affect in-progress games. The above game, for example, has been going since before Immortals were given their melee attack, if I recall correctly. I don't think they can retroactively change the effects of things you've already done (something you've been using getting nerfed or buffed won't change what you've done with it), but it can affect it going forward, etc.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

onesixtwo posted:

The game encodes the version the save was created with, so macOS and Linux are screwed again once the patch lands.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Been a while since I checked up on civ vi and I'm not seeing goonpinions on the latest update. Is this poo poo worth playing yet? Is the AI still entirely incompetent and annoying?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

theres a will theres moe posted:

Been a while since I checked up on civ vi and I'm not seeing goonpinions on the latest update. Is this poo poo worth playing yet? Is the AI still entirely incompetent and annoying?

Are you unwilling to read the page you're posting on?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

homullus posted:

Are you unwilling to read the page you're posting on?

Yes

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'mma assume it still sucks

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

thank you for making an exception for my posting then

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

theres a will theres moe posted:

I'mma assume it still sucks

nah

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't say for sure if it's the patch yet, but saving games just became instant instead of a 30-second affair

That's a thumbs-up in my book

Edit: A belated GG to Byzant in Winter Goon Game - I'd say it was your science rate (double ahead of everyone else) that gave me reason to invade, but it was your complete absence of a military that clinched the deal ;)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, I noticed one of my games (an older one; new games where the save file is smaller have always been fast) saving a lot more quickly earlier too. I was a bit surprised but didn't pay it much thought. If that's one of the patch improvements that's a very good thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Countdown to finding out that the save games are empty

How's the AI doing against undefended cities with walls post-update?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
When was saving a game not instant? It's been like that forever for me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some of my games that have been going on a long time take a while to save. I'm not sure if it's due to them being old or being far in progress, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

How's the AI doing against undefended cities with walls post-update?

You're the only one mad enough to run tests on these things, Gort.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Autonomous Monster posted:

You're the only one mad enough to run tests on these things, Gort.

I don't think the vanilla AI is representative of the expanded game so I can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

According to the patch notes :

"AI will prioritize a city over units if it can capture or nearly capture the city"

Sounds promising!