Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey CIG

I'll schill for you full time if the pay is right.

I have no respect for myself.

e: dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mp5 posted:

Is there any update on the Crytek lawsuit?

Nothing until June, although there are rumors that Discovery might have promoted the UK government to look into the tax breaks.

I looked at the scoring myself last week and it's extremely generous to companies to identify as 'british-ish', but if they fibbed on the paperwork (BFI template), they could be in the poo poo. I'll wait until something actually happens, personally.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Saw posted:

I'm almost 100% sure Sq42 will release 'something'. Don't ignore the Sandi Factor. She's got to be breathing down the neck of her husband and whatever unlucky developer(s) are within earshot. She will NOT end up on the cutting room floor once more! Even if the game is nothing more than 'click the button to watch the next scene' - Sandi WILL be seen 'acting' with B+ list stars.

I’m pretty sure Sandi A) hates video games and B) thinks Chris is a two bit hack. She could give a poo poo if Squadron comes out, the YouTube shows look better on her IMDB at this point anyway.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Beet Wagon posted:

the YouTube shows look better on her IMDB at this point anyway.

yes i agree the doll web series was an absolutely riviting performance.

edit: just checked and that series never made it beyond releasing a youtube trailer. count that as more sandi footage ending up in a trash bin

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrBall_MD posted:

With that amount of capital, surely they should be paying most of their expenses out of the returns on some safe investments? I can't see how they can be in financial trouble at this point.

We don't know poo poo about payroll or random costs. Ortwin engages in movie-math, which is a little like bistro-math but can show no profit while standing on a large stack of cash. Everything we've modelled out has been back of an envelope sketches based on prevailing rates and whatever we can get from published accounts. We don't know about any dividends that might have been taken out, apart from some transfers made early on.

It's one of the funnier aspects of 'transparency' as a term. It's usually used loudest by the people who are actually avoiding it...

The obvious example being the effort tracker that was actually there to obfuscate the progress.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm pretty sure Sandi A) hates video games

Well, not one. Or possibly two, depending on how discovery goes.

I don't think it's opened the doors that she was hoping for, given the talent they acquired.

Ooh, there's a thought. Maybe the contracts are due for the mocap?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
A gentle reminder that Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years to make, so Star Citizen has about 9 more years of development ahead until they reach the same level of polish.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

A 2004-timeframe, 3D-modeled, low-res skin, Nintendo Wii-captured mocap with a budget VA would be a better actor than Sandi

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Theory posted:

I was just thinking that the tone of the backer community has shifted with more and more negative news in relation to.detractors. Just two years ago, people would just say wait for Jesus patch to silence doubts or haters. Now the argument has increased in frevor and that CIG are dealing with an organized hate campaign that wants the game to fail.

It's an interesting shift, and I think it speaks to the increasing anxiety of the backers in lue of actual progress and other cash grab tactics. I can't wait for Goons to get the blaim if CIG fails.

An anagram for "ill forum beaver?" What are you trying to tell us?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Part of me wishes Star Citizen comes out and is playable.

Purely so I can grief the gently caress out of Clifford aka Miku.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

54 thousand dollars.

There's being a corporate whore, and then there's this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Bind Culling Problem.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Tarkaroshe on Twitter posted:

Unfortunately, when people are given more freedom, with little consequence, the more they'll try to push the envelope on what they can get away with

Dude accidentally hit the nail on the head with regards to Chris Roberts developing Star Citizen

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Hav posted:

I heard that Alan Turing himself struggled with this problem. He never solved it...

I am sure Chris Roberts will show him how it's done!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
It's the promo/free pc guys

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

StarBegotten posted:

I heard that Alan Turing himself struggled with this problem. He never solved it...

It's just funny how it becomes it's own thing.

Everything was going to change in 2.6.1. Then 3.0. I think they're talking 3.2 now.

If it's that big of a problem and it's the _only thing standing in the way of silencing goons_...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Bind Culling Problem

Well, it's not because of server sync, see;

Although point #5 appears to suggest that the client *is* effecting server speed.

The other worrying point is that he says himself, 'Fidelity is the enemy of performance'. This brings into play what the targets for performance should be be (as a metric, because you can measure it) versus what the Fidelity should be, which is entirely subjective.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I think Mr. Turing actually had issues with another culling program.

But as to the scam-ness of star citizen, let's not forget that Croberts himself said in Jan 2015 that Squadron 42 was coming in Fall of 2015. That's a product ready to launch in 9 months.

Squadron 42 is an cinematic FPS. People make them all the loving time. Crysis/Lumberyard is more or less the perfect engine for them. None of the PTU additions or features should've dragged on SQ42. FPSes themselves are bog easy. It used to be conventional wisdom around game dev shops to release an FPS first cause it was easy and you'd get at least some revenue. When you know you are going to launch SQ42 in 9 months, you better have a pretty loving good idea of where it is in development.

It is now May of 2018. CR is 32 months late on that promise, that can't be blamed on backers or bind culling or mesh servers or Crysis or anything. that is almost a 400% overrun. So in reality, we are left with two options. A) Chris Roberts is so loving incompetent that he shouldn't be given the licence to develop anything, or B) it was a lie. B seems WAY more likely. But he still sat on that stage an said it. He didn't say (at that time) don't trust my dates. He took pre-orders for "coming in fall 2015" for 9 months after that.

This is why Star Citizen is a scam. Chris will stand up and tell whatever lie he needs to get people to buy. Are they working on a game? Sure kinda looks like it. Will it ever be done? Who knows. Does that excuse raising money on blatantly untrue statements? Nope.

EDIT: I also love when I read about Dead Reckoning thrown in as an improvement CIG needs to make to code. Every modern engine does this as a matter of course.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 9, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

his nibs posted:

Part of me wishes Star Citizen comes out and is playable.

Purely so I can grief the gently caress out of Clifford aka Miku.

The game he wants to play for the rest of his life? What a derp. I mean, i love bacon, but i can't eat just bacon. I love ED and hope to play it for years, but sooner or later it will go into the pile of other loved games that i rarely play, and I still play other games regardless from time to time.

Anyway, back to the grind... and no, i don't mean ED, i mean Fortnite: Save the World. Playing as a constructor i'm always needing a ton of crafting stuff to make decent bases.... that other players then screw up by building all around my carefully designed defenses... assholes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
_The_ Bind Culling Problem

Of course, we can always toss that football down the road, because it's far more important to flesh out land claims rather than performance. It's not like any gamed failed for lack of performance, ever.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

The Bind Culling Problem

Well, it's not because of server sync, see;

Although point #5 appears to suggest that the client *is* effecting server speed.

The other worrying point is that he says himself, 'Fidelity is the enemy of performance'. This brings into play what the targets for performance should be be (as a metric, because you can measure it) versus what the Fidelity should be, which is entirely subjective.

I wonder if every time CR says he wants more fidelity the devs weep.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

So in reality, we are left with two options. A) Chris Roberts is so loving incompetent that he shouldn't be given the licence to develop anything, or B) it was a lie. B seems WAY more likely. But he still sat on that stage an said it. He didn't say (at that time) don't trust my dates. He took pre-orders for "coming in fall 2015" for 9 months after that.

Yeah, I'm on 'B' too. He claimed that everything was done; that was an utter lie.

I keep hammering on the Bind Culling because it's not actually that big of a problem, it's just that their Fidelity _claims_, and let's be loving honest, they're talking polygon count don't hold any water in the face of seeing the mechanics demonstrated. It's literally a keystone to the arch that is this whole thing because it informs the network traffic. Network traffic is a big loving deal, its just that most people don't have to deal with it, or have to diagnose why you're routing through St Petersburg rather than just punting to your AWS instance directly*.

It's literally a test you could hang your hat on, there is a metric for success and they've kicked that can down the road for _three years_ that I can tell. Two years ago was the time to have the conversation about less fidelity.

Agony Aunt posted:

I wonder if every time CR says he wants more fidelity the devs weep.

I'm hoping that flat 'ummm' causes a break out of psychosomatic illness amongst the artists, at least.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Agony Aunt posted:

The game he wants to play for the rest of his life? What a derp. I mean, i love bacon, but i can't eat just bacon. I love ED and hope to play it for years, but sooner or later it will go into the pile of other loved games that i rarely play, and I still play other games regardless from time to time.

I think he's just figuring out that in order to get a decent return on investment in time-value once the game launches (and he's 60) he will be required to play the game for the rest of his life to get his money out of it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrBall_MD posted:

It's got to be '3', unless there is an unsurpassed level of idiocy at work here.

With that amount of capital, surely they should be paying most of their expenses out of the returns on some safe investments? I can't see how they can be in financial trouble at this point.

Please tell me where can I get a minimum of 33% anual return on a safe investment.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

Someone tell CIG their culling algorithm is a bit too keen, it seems to have removed the entire game.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

SoftNum posted:

So in reality, we are left with two options. A) Chris Roberts is so loving incompetent that he shouldn't be given the licence to develop anything, or B) it was a lie. B seems WAY more likely.

False Dilemma.
Croberts is both massively incompetent AND dishonest.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's a big leap from simply knowing some facts like who is quitting or what the name of a ship will be, that hundreds of people knew, and being this paragon of the community leading the charge for justice against a scam developer by providing an outlet for their voices where there was none before.

Listing two things that he had factual knowledge of doesn't actually make real leaks that do anything appear. If he knew what Ben was eating for lunch because Disgruntled Artist #314 sent him an email does that somehow do anything at all?

Inserting himself in the middle of this has done more to enable Chris Roberts than any backer because he has squatted on whatever knowledge people are willing to share to make sure he gets credit for knowing it. Do you guys not remember him getting Atxsperg and eightace to stop posting their information in the last thread? He did the same thing to Bootcha in discord when it first came out. There was another guy telling personal stories because he knew wingman and Derek, very publicly, dressed him down for oversharing. He tried to do the same thing to Agent and when it didn't work and he wasn't getting the attention he started attacking him. When streetroller tried to do something and everyone started talking about him, Derek attacked him. When I made a coincidental prediction of bankruptcy just before the Crytek lawsuit was announced he attacked me and AP accused me of "Trying to steal Derek's thunder" over something that I had no knowledge of.

Have you guys never done critical writing analysis or anything? When 95% of your writing is focused completely on yourself it's kind of obvious what your top priority is. If Derek wrote Moby Dick you wouldn't even know there was a whale involved.

tl:dr Free Derek!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So Elite: Dangerous just has a solo mode, which is essentially "Offline Mode", whereas SotA has no offline mode, and Star Citizen's offline mode engages every time it crashes.

The most hilarious/dumb thing to me is that the literal only defense they have is "someone else does it too". E:D pulled offline mode and rightfully got poo poo for it. They also, for awhile at least, weren't giving refunds to people who wanted to pull their pledges because of that renege, and rightfully got poo poo for it and walked it back (also someone said "hey uk consumer law fucknuts"). "Someone else did it" is not a "get out of criticism free" card, it means everyone who does it should get criticism for doing it. But no the worst pay to win, anti-consumer excesses are fine from CIG because (company we hate for doing literally the same thing) did it first.

:psyduck:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
If the goon agenda is so sew chaos among star citizen and its fans, then derek smart gets a lot of credit regardless of whether he's right or wrong or crazy because he is a lightning rod for controversy.

in short, unban derek

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's a big leap from simply knowing some facts like who is quitting or what the name of a ship will be, that hundreds of people knew, and being this paragon of the community leading the charge for justice against a scam developer by providing an outlet for their voices where there was none before.

Listing two things that he had factual knowledge of doesn't actually make real leaks that do anything appear. If he knew what Ben was eating for lunch because Disgruntled Artist #314 sent him an email does that somehow do anything at all?

Inserting himself in the middle of this has done more to enable Chris Roberts than any backer because he has squatted on whatever knowledge people are willing to share to make sure he gets credit for knowing it. Do you guys not remember him getting Atxsperg and eightace to stop posting their information in the last thread? He did the same thing to Bootcha in discord when it first came out. There was another guy telling personal stories because he knew wingman and Derek, very publicly, dressed him down for oversharing. He tried to do the same thing to Agent and when it didn't work and he wasn't getting the attention he started attacking him. When streetroller tried to do something and everyone started talking about him, Derek attacked him. When I made a coincidental prediction of bankruptcy just before the Crytek lawsuit was announced he attacked me and AP accused me of "Trying to steal Derek's thunder" over something that I had no knowledge of.

Have you guys never done critical writing analysis or anything? When 95% of your writing is focused completely on yourself it's kind of obvious what your top priority is. If Derek wrote Moby Dick you wouldn't even know there was a whale involved.

You know. To read it like this I am beginning to think you don't like Derek very much and that you think he is not a stand up kind of guy.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Nicholas posted:

If the goon agenda is so sew chaos among star citizen and its fans, then derek smart gets a lot of credit regardless of whether he's right or wrong or crazy because he is a lightning rod for controversy.

in short, unban derek

Agreed. Free Derek. Let him come back home.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hav posted:

Well, for fucks sake don't mention that cash injection we had from George Soros.

[platinum]Real talk: I'm pretty sure they already figured out Geroge Soros funding was behind Operation Derek Smart all along so there's probably no point keeping up our pretenses anymore sorry I know were supposed to keep it on the discord but I'm on my phone right now]/platinum]

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He's legit human garbage but he's gone now so it's whatever.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hav posted:

The other worrying point is that he says himself, 'Fidelity is the enemy of performance'.
This was probably lesson number one when I decided to read more and do some practice with game development (small personal projects). And if you don't find this out by explicitly reading it, you're gonna still fall face first into it within the first month of developing a working prototype of your idea. Especially because chances are you are going to focus on the wrong things and maybe rush for a good-looking demo to show to people.

Fidelity and realism are your enemies as a game designer. You must embrace the abstractions, compromises and hiding/removing everything that doesn't have to show or makes too little of a difference when it does in expense to performance and gameplay experience.

Of course both fidelity and realism are the essence of the marketing and promotional material (which usually doesn't reflect the state of the end product) for too many overhyped game titles. So it's not a surprise that the CIG hacks are still dragging out this state of the project --longer than backers should have allowed-- and are ignoring the performance issues.

In fact they are further breaking the thing they are supposed to be building on a solid base with random bullshit, six years in "development", and the backers are still cheering.

And what's more puzzling is backers with supposed game development experience writing on reddit and focusing on the "game development is hard and takes time you guys" aspect. Sure, but what about all the other backwards poo poo? Or at least the huge don'ts of development? Nothing to say about that, huh?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

This guy can gently caress right off.

Had to lol at the lean dismissal of that wall of shill. Thank you sir.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Star Citizer: There's a difference between passion and 'toxicity', however...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

While posting about the eccentric early access launch event for Worlds Adrift someone reminded me of the Firefall bus and of course the similarities to Star Citizen mismanagement quickly came to mind...

https://www.techinasia.com/firefall-mark-kern-sacked-the9-story

quote:

Spending millions to promote a game still in alpha

In his post, BrutalWhimsy alleges that Kern vastly overspent on ill-advised promotional stunts that failed to pan out, funneling both funds and focus away from the work on the actual game. Kern, for example, established a separate video production team, outfitting it with Red-brand production gear (among the best and most expensive in the industry), an ever-expanding staff and a separate soundstage. This team was used to make live-action Firefall videos, but it also worked on the vaguely-related (and “stillborn,” as BrutalWhimsy put it) series “Gamechangers” and on several completely unrelated projects.

Seriously, can anyone tell me how this cringe-inducingly pandering music video for some random band was helping to promote Firefall? (Incidentally, I could write a whole separate article about how stupid this video is).

BrutalWhimsy also cited another Kern-driven promotional project that went horribly awry: the creation of a Firefall-themed bus that was meant to serve as a mobile promotional tool and a mobile server from which to host competitions via LAN while the game was still in beta. The bus was also meant to expand via hydraulics to increase its size, and BrutalWhimsy suggests that the project cost around $3 million. The bus contract was given to West Coast Customs, the vehicle shop that tricked out cars for the MTV show Pimp My Ride, but West Coast Customs apparently botched things, going over-budget and delivering the van both late and missing some of its key features. It missed premieres at all the major conferences, and now “sits in a warehouse somewhere, collecting dust.”

mgu-body-image

While in this case the failure was partially West Coast Customs’s, BrutalWhimsy points out that a $3 million promotional bus created by the world’s highest-profile car customizers probably shouldn’t be a priority for a game that was — at the time the bus project began — still in the pre-alpha phase. In a separate Reddit thread, Kern himself admits: “The bus was terrible.”

Humm this DOES sound familiar:

quote:

The wrath of the boss
But perhaps more damaging that Kern’s apparent overspending on promotional failures, according to BrutalWhimsy, was his impact when he actually did get involved with Firefall‘s development. In his post, BrutalWhimsy writes of Kern:
Chris is that you?

quote:

"He would swoop in one afternoon and berate a series of features several teams had spent months on, declaring they begin again and LISTEN to what he told them to do. He’d be back in a few days to see if it was done. This crushed morale, and forced people into spontaneous, isolated crunch mode. He would shout and scream his perspectives. He would ignore anything that didn’t fit his immediate viewpoint – which was subject to sudden, violent changes. He would rage-email people in the small hours of the night, or on weekends.

He would spout bile and vitriol to the point where he gave some employees (mostly his production crew) access to a “safeword.” This was in case he was being particularly verbally abusive, someone could yell it out or email it to him and he would clam up. He had the misguided notion that he could write quality fiction, and would force feed it to members of the writing team. He’s fired people on the spot, berating and screaming at them publicly. He’s thrown temper tantrums AND objects around the office."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 9, 2018

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

Please tell me where can I get a minimum of 33% anual return on a safe investment.

I'm getting 12% on a tiny fraction of what CIG have to invest from a high-street IFA.

They'll be getting at least 20%, even in the current climate.

But even assuming 10%, and that they aren't totally retarded and have invested 2/3rds of what they have; that's still $10m a year; which is more than enough to run a jpg factory staffed by fresh-faced interns IMO; even if you do spend ludicrous amounts on doors, furniture and coffee machines.

I'd be interested to see objective calculations of their outgoings...

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Saw posted:

I'm almost 100% sure Sq42 will release 'something'. Don't ignore the Sandi Factor. She's got to be breathing down the neck of her husband and whatever unlucky developer(s) are within earshot. She will NOT end up on the cutting room floor once more! Even if the game is nothing more than 'click the button to watch the next scene' - Sandi WILL be seen 'acting' with B+ list stars.

Cue every let's play-er ever:

HOLY poo poo That's Gillian Anderson...... and some other lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sample_text posted:

Cue every let's play-er ever:

HOLY poo poo That's Gillian Anderson...... and some other lady.

lmao i doubt gill a is going to be in

There was a Rumor that some of the Big Name Stars had a time limit attached to their likenesses appearing in game (maybe the timer on that actually started when they showed off all that mocap behind the scenes stuff, which would be lol), which was not confirmed outright but certainly seemed a bit more likely with the complete lack of anyone but Hamil in the SQ42 "slice". Croberts not showing off his star cast at every opportunity would be out of character at best.