Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... I dunno, facebook came around when I was in college, and before people got on it I accidentally lost contact with a lot of people completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I will only be friends on FB with real friends from real life. Probably why my FB is so boring. I was on FB when it was still "thefacebook". I see pics of high school friends kids and they see pics of mine. Oh and high school friends in bikinis at the beach hey-o

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

See, I don't buy the whole "I lost contact" and joining FB to find all these lost people, if the person was that important to you how do you just randomly lose contact with them? I've never lost contact with people that are important to me, the rest are just casual friends and they come and go.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Facebook wasn't a thing when I was in uni, I came to it later, but it is pretty convenient as a messenger app, which is all I really use it for aside from groups like the AI one.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Applebees Appetizer posted:

See, I don't buy the whole "I lost contact" and joining FB to find all these lost people, if the person was that important to you how do you just randomly lose contact with them? I've never lost contact with people that are important to me, the rest are just casual friends and they come and go.

Some of us aren't great at social interaction and or are not very good friends, OK? :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shovelbum posted:

how the gently caress are self driving cars supposed to work in northern michigan etc where all you can see of the road much of the year is two sets of ruts in which cars (drunkenly) creep along and which may or may not bear any relation to the (potential) summer road markings, the road itself, or anything at all approaching reality

mekilljoydammit posted:

Contrary to what all the self-driving car evangelists go on about, some of this poo poo is pretty hard to replicate with silicon.

I wish it weren't so, because there are so many people that don't need to drive, are terrible at it, and/or don't want to drive.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Some of us aren't great at social interaction and or are not very good friends, OK? :(

Yup.
I use FaceBook, but I pretty much only look at it once or twice a week, and ignore pretty much all political posts. Some of the car groups can be useful for finding parts and cars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Social media chat, when I was in high school mobile phones were just coming down out of the stratosphere in terms of cost and cost of service, and merely being caught with one - much less using it - was grounds for immediate confiscation and in school suspension. The only people who had them were the children of the very wealthy and/or idiots - in other words, fewer people than you can count on one hand in a graduating class of over 1000.

So needless to say I lost contact with just about all of the people I knew in school within a few weeks of graduation, and didn't really reconnect until Facebook came around and I created an account.

Social media has its place, just don't take it too seriously.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Geoj posted:

Social media chat, when I was in high school mobile phones were just coming down out of the stratosphere in terms of cost and cost of service, and merely being caught with one - much less using it - was grounds for immediate confiscation and in school suspension. The only people who had them were the children of the very wealthy and/or idiots - in other words, fewer people than you can count on one hand in a graduating class of over 1000.

So needless to say I lost contact with just about all of the people I knew in school within a few weeks of graduation, and didn't really reconnect until Facebook came around and I created an account.

Social media has its place, just don't take it too seriously.

Tell that to advertising and politics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just too trusting. I'm still friends with a lot of customers from the store and they were all very sane and normal people until I saw their FB feeds. I'd say my friends list is split 1/4 high school friends, 1/4 goons, 1/4 local car people, 1/4 nerds.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

I'd say my friends list is split 1/4 high school friends, 1/4 goons, 1/4 local car people, 1/4 nerds.

No, yes, no, no.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think FB allows you to group people, so you can put all the normals (well, normal for you) in one section and the baby-eating bishop of Bath & Wells can sit in his little corner without you actually having to interact with him.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Most social media is absolute cancer. Twitter especially should be nuked from orbit.

Thaaaat being said I managed to keep in contact with a young lady over many years on Facebook who turned out to be incredible in person when I visisted her a month ago sooooo...

Theres a narrow good use for social media the rest should be wiped from existance.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Beverly Cleavage posted:

No, yes, no, no.

You can't have (b) but not (d).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Facebook wasn't a thing when I was in uni, I came to it later, but it is pretty convenient as a messenger app, which is all I really use it for aside from groups like the AI one.

Why not just text it's the same thing isn't it? Also isn't the messenger app known for screwing up phones?

My wife and I have the exact same phones, mine works fine, hers constantly has problems and has all the FB apps including messenger on it. Coincidence?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

No, yes, no, no.

My HS friends are fantastic in that most of them have gotten hilariously fat or bald and I got to show off my super hot wife at the reunion.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You can't have (b) but not (d).

I would argue that not all of B id reflective of D. Maybe spergs, but not necessarily nerds.

Rhyno posted:

My HS friends are fantastic in that most of them have gotten hilariously fat or bald and I got to show off my super hot wife at the reunion.

I just got the invite (through FB, sigh) for my 20 yr. This is going to be...interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I just got the invite (through FB, sigh) for my 20 yr. This is going to be...interesting.

Do you have a hot wife?

There's still time!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I would argue that not all of B id reflective of D. Maybe spergs, but not necessarily nerds.

NERD ARGUMENT SPOTTED

(You're right, though. There is probably at least one non-nerd AIer, but no non-spergers.)

Regarding losing contact with old friends: it can be extremely easy. I fell completely out of touch with a bunch of people due to residency with a segue into a divorce while being overworked (by our standards) as a new attending. Then time passes, and you reach this point where you wonder if it even make sense to reach out to people you haven't talk to since the GWB administration.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Why not just text it's the same thing isn't it? Also isn't the messenger app known for screwing up phones?
Messenger's easier and generally works better for me, particularly with pictures and videos etc. Texting is quite a bit clunkier, I find. Yeah, it sometimes seems to bork itself, but not had any significant problems with it.

Basically, it's convenient, works, and I don't care beyond that. I sometimes use WhatsApp, too, but I have no particular attachment to any one app etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Messenger's easier and generally works better for me, particularly with pictures and videos etc. Texting is quite a bit clunkier, I find. Yeah, it sometimes seems to bork itself, but not had any significant problems with it.

Basically, it's convenient, works, and I don't care beyond that. I sometimes use WhatsApp, too, but I have no particular attachment to any one app etc.

Also, you don't need to know/remember someone's phone number to use Messenger, and they don't even need to have their phone, necessarily. That cross-device functionality can be handy. (I get that same functionality with iChat, since I have a Mac and iPad, too, but of course not everyone buys into the Apple ecosystem.)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Regarding losing contact with old friends: it can be extremely easy.

This. Life happens. i went to an accelerated trade school on top of having a full time job right out of HS. all it took was that year of being super busy to lose contact but by then your social circle is different then other things on top of those things plus these things etc etc.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hmm, I wonder if some of you younger guys are just so used to having FB that using any other mode of communication seems "harder" for some silly reason. I tried FB for a few months then cut it off because it was unnecessary clutter I didn't need. Up until FB came along I kept in touch with the people I wanted to just fine, and to me texting has made it way easier than any social media has. Now i have group texts with my good friends and it can't get any easier than that imo.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a minimalist so that may have a lot to do with it as well, but

I'm younger and don't use it. If people want to talk, I have a phone. If they don't have my number, chances are I don't want to speak with them anyway.

I have plenty of friends and stay in contact with the family I choose to. I don't see a need for FB.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eh...

If I don't talk to you but once every 6 months much less since I graduated high school or college with you, there's probably a reason why and there's no reason to be friends on facebook.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Data collection, data misuse, and privacy are my personal bugbears

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Google used to have an app that could integrate FB messages, Texts and even AIM?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

Data collection, data misuse, and privacy are my personal bugbears

Equifax already made most of those concerns obsolete. Privacy is a thing of the past.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seminal Flu posted:

Equifax already made most of those concerns obsolete. Privacy is a thing of the past.

I have no delusions of true privacy, I own a smartphone after all, I just don't want it to be super easy for anyone to find

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Google used to have an app that could integrate FB messages, Texts and even AIM?

Are you thinking of Trillian?

It didn't integrate the services in the sense that you could message a FB contact from your AIM account (etc.), but served as a single client for all services.

They still exist, but with traditional IM services going away and mobile forms of messaging taking over for PC based messaging they reinvented themselves as a business chat client developer. It's more like Microsoft Lync or Spark now.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

Eh...

If I don't talk to you but once every 6 months much less since I graduated high school or college with you, there's probably a reason why and there's no reason to be friends on facebook.

Fuckin' clouds, always acting so high and mighty up there in the sky. Come down *here* and we'll see how tough they are.

Oh, look - fog!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Are you thinking of Trillian?

It didn't integrate the services in the sense that you could message a FB contact from your AIM account (etc.), but served as a single client for all services.

They still exist, but with traditional IM services going away and mobile forms of messaging taking over for PC based messaging they reinvented themselves as a business chat client developer. It's more like Microsoft Lync or Spark now.

YES. I knew it didn't let you cross message but it was a nice idea to have everything in one spot.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Guys I'm going to have a mid-engined, gull-winged, turbocharged two seat sports car here soon and I'm effin' PUMPED.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Guys I'm going to have a mid-engined, gull-winged, turbocharged two seat sports car here soon and I'm effin' PUMPED.

Please have your wife go with you to pick it up and film the whole thing. I want to see how much joy is in your life when you get that car.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Just for reference, how tall are you?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KakerMix posted:

:aaaaa:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

Just for reference, how tall are you?

5'10", but I don't have goofy wide feet like that regular car guy dude and I'm quite thin (155 lbs) so I expect great things. As was pointed out by InitialDave though the current aftermarket seat's position probably means I should expect cramped things before I fix that issue.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Cyclist just got killed today in an intersection I travel through frequently (by bike and car) because a school bus failed to yield and turned left directly into him. Pretty much the same thing happened in the same spot 10 years ago. Stay safe and cautious out there goons.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just bought my very first new car yesterday, after all these years.

This might be my favorite part:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It is the end times, it is now inconvenient and hard to get a pipe threaded.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just bid way more than I want to spend on a 30 year old turbo diesel truck in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I just started at a new company here in Vegas, and after 3 days, I got my new van,

A brand new Transit 350 with the EcoBoost engine. Granted, it's pretty empty right now, but man, that thing is QUICK.

• Locked thread