Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Yeah I took my 6 in for service and wife and I decided to test drive the 5 and 9 and I was really impressed with the 9. It felt like the clear winner over the 5 even though it seems like most reviews are saying the 5 is a better option overall. It was simply very roomy and smooth and didn't feel like driving a land tank like when we took the matching sized Infiniti for a round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You can't fit both the turbo and the AWD system together on this gen of 3 and 6, and the 2.5T hasn't been mated with a stick anywhere yet. Without a re-tune it wouldn't be that fun, anyways.
The 2.5T produces a ton of torque, more than Mazda's manuals are really set up to handle, IIRC. An automatic lets them control that without major engineering costs.

quote:

You know what the 2.5T is a SHITLOAD of fun in, though? The CX-9. My wife and I went to the Mazda dealer today to mainly check out the CX5, and to confirm the CX9 would be too large. It isn't. It drives awesome. We're getting the CX9 instead.
My wife and I came to that conclusion too! We basically use it as a lifted two-row wagon (all that trunk space with the folded third row is great for the kid's gigantic stroller).

phongn fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 9, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dammit, I just really want the turbo and manual transmission in the 3. Do you know how hard it is to find a hatchback with decent engine and manual transmission? The Hyundai Veloster Turbo looks like I'm trying to relive my 20s (irl 43), the Focus just feels 1-2 generations behind Mazda in their infotainment system and overall has nowhere as nice of driving experience.

My 2016 S GT with the 2.5 is nice and all but another 50, 60 hp would really suit this car.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Really? I honestly find the 2.5 to have plenty of balls, plenty of oomph compared to other stuff in the market that isn't turbo'd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

regulargonzalez posted:

Dammit, I just really want the turbo and manual transmission in the 3. Do you know how hard it is to find a hatchback with decent engine and manual transmission? The Hyundai Veloster Turbo looks like I'm trying to relive my 20s (irl 43), the Focus just feels 1-2 generations behind Mazda in their infotainment system and overall has nowhere as nice of driving experience.

My 2016 S GT with the 2.5 is nice and all but another 50, 60 hp would really suit this car.

Corksport is developing a full turbo system for the current 3 and 6.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It will be really interesting to see what sort of engine, if any, ends up in a new hot 3. Would it be a high-performance SkyactivX? Is that even possible? Would they apply the upcoming ~18% improvements to the Miata to the 2.5? (A 210-ish HP NA SkyactivG that loved to rev in that chassis would be a lot of fun.) Would they be able to re-tune the 2.5T, maybe in a smaller displacement, to be more rev-happy? Or maybe the next hot 3 is an electric...potentially with rotary range-extender?

Even without a new engine some sort of "Club" package like the Miata has could work very well on the current car. Something like the BBS + Brembo + Recaro + Bilstein Miata package, some medium-subtle aero, perhaps a little snortier exhaust and a little bit of interior trim would be enough for lots of people without needing to certify another drivetrain.

regulargonzalez posted:

Dammit, I just really want the turbo and manual transmission in the 3.

A theoretical performance turbo motor, sure, but the 2.5T in the CX9/6 does not drive anything like the MZR and I don't think it's well suited for a stick car.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Isn't the 2.5 severely detuned from the factory and can hit something silly like 220 BHP with cams and some breather mods?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Rhyno posted:

Corksport is developing a full turbo system for the current 3 and 6.

For the 2.5 as well? I think that OrangeVirus guy was doing a turbo for the 2.0 but thought I was out of luck with the 2.5

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

regulargonzalez posted:

For the 2.5 as well? I think that OrangeVirus guy was doing a turbo for the 2.0 but thought I was out of luck with the 2.5

https://corksport.com/blog/turbo-kit-intro-2014m3-2013m6/comment-page-3/#comment-324229

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the link!

*read*

Oh the article is from 7+ months ago and no update since? Welp.

I won't hold my breath and then it'll be a nice surprise if/when it comes out.

I do appreciate the info though. Something to keep an eye out for.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Alright, so my paranoia may be kicking in here, but I seem to be having significant power loss when trying to accelerate rapidly, at almost any speed. Used to be I could put my foot into it a bit and my 3 would get after it, no problem. Now you put your foot into it and it gets noisy with no expected boost, it will still accelerate and get up to speed, but it’s worrying the hell out of me, especially since it usually happens when trying to pass or merge. I checked the oil and trans fluid about a week ago and both seemed fine. Anyone else run into this? Air filter wasn’t too dirty, so I left it (beat it some and got some dust out, surely that wouldn’t drag this much).

If you're still on the factory bypass valve, I would strongly suspect it has failed. Mine leaked within the first 10k miles. Replacing it with the Forge bypass valve instantly brought the boost back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks for the link!

*read*

Oh the article is from 7+ months ago and no update since? Welp.

I won't hold my breath and then it'll be a nice surprise if/when it comes out.

I do appreciate the info though. Something to keep an eye out for.

The announced their MZR Turbocharger and it didn't come out for like a year. CS is really slow when it comes to things with moving parts. But it is suspected that when Mazda announced turbo variants on their new models that they may have scrapped or altered the direction of the project.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

If you're still on the factory bypass valve, I would strongly suspect it has failed. Mine leaked within the first 10k miles. Replacing it with the Forge bypass valve instantly brought the boost back.

My MS3 sometimes will wind up and then just fall on its face for a couple ticks, then come back to life and surge back to full power. Does that also sound like bad bypass valve?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I’m in a stock dead 3 hatch, so maybe I caused a bit of confusion there, sorry. I don’t quite fit the bill for some of the tuning stuff in the thread (and obviously I’m not much of a mechanic). Thanks though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I honestly don't even remember if a manual on the 2.5 was even an option or if it was automatic only for the Mazda3. Can the standard handle that much extra power?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

I honestly don't even remember if a manual on the 2.5 was even an option or if it was automatic only for the Mazda3. Can the standard handle that much extra power?

Are you referring to the current gen? The manual transmission is offered with both engines (I have the 2.5 and a stick) but iirc I had to get the Grand Touring option package to get that combo.

If you're asking about the previous gen / Speed3 I don't know.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I got a 2018 3 touring hatchback as a courtesy vehicle today and I'm mildy upset that they gave the 2018 touring 3s the 2.5 and not the 2017s. Argh.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My MS3 sometimes will wind up and then just fall on its face for a couple ticks, then come back to life and surge back to full power. Does that also sound like bad bypass valve?

It could be the bypass valve but I think there might be a couple other possibilities as well. Look at the bpv but I would also inspect maf, plugs and fuel pressure.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geoj posted:

Isn't the 2.5 severely detuned from the factory and can hit something silly like 220 BHP with cams and some breather mods?

I would like to know more about this. May I subscribe to your news letter?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I did a stupid thing today.

I parked the car, and noticed a puddle under it when I got back out of the grocery store. Leaned down, smelled/felt it, yep definitely water *shrugs*

Continue driving, stop at Costco. Go in, come back out, and another puddle. Hmm, weird, I'm not running the AC. Smell/feel again, and yeah it's definitely water. Okaaayyy...

Come home, park the car. Come out later to yet another puddle of water under the car WTF WHY IS MY CAR SPEWING WATER ALL THE TIME *furiously googles esoteric exhaust leaks/cat failures, gets paranoid*

Turns out the AC is on when in defrost mode regardless of what the AC light/indicator shows, and I was running defrost the whole time.

Welp this is my story of me not knowing how my car works :(

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

All good, definitely a relief when it turns out to be minor/nothing though, eh?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Starting with the feet vent setting it's automatically on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

it's so good holy cats

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Took my 2014 3 to a new closer dealer for an oil change which went fine. On the inspection sheet though I noticed that brake pad measurements looked strange: The rear pads were more worn than the front - I think 6mm but I don't have the sheet in front of me. The car is at 32k miles. I'm normally used to rear pads on small cars lasting until the heat death of the universe, but in this case they're wearing evenly and faster than the fronts? Google searching seems to suggest I'm not the only one seeing this with the current generation 3 (and CX-5s apparently) but I haven't been able to find a definitive explanation as to why. A random Internet fellow had theorized that Mazda designed the rears to apply force first to help damp front end diving but... huh? Mine has that iELOOP thing with regenerative braking, is that doing it? This isn't necessarily a problem, it just seems really strange since I don't think I've ever had to replace rear brake pads on any car I've owned including a first gen Mazda3 that I ran to 85k miles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does it give a % or just mm? Maybe the pads are really thin stock. I dunno. My 2006 is still on its original pads all around with 90,000 miles and are still really beefy. Haha

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

Does it give a % or just mm? Maybe the pads are really thin stock. I dunno. My 2006 is still on its original pads all around with 90,000 miles and are still really beefy. Haha

I can't for the life of me find the paper now but it was actual millimeter measurement. Pretty sure it said 6mm on the rears. It originally got my attention because they did that color coded green/yellow/red thing and the rears were yellow meaning they could've tried to sell it from a preventative maintenance perspective but it isn't required per spec. The service guy made no mention of it on pick up. I traded in my 2008 at 85k and it still had factory rear pads on it. Go fig.

As for the "Haha" have you tried replacing your cabin air filter yet? :smug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fabulousity posted:

I can't for the life of me find the paper now but it was actual millimeter measurement. Pretty sure it said 6mm on the rears. It originally got my attention because they did that color coded green/yellow/red thing and the rears were yellow meaning they could've tried to sell it from a preventative maintenance perspective but it isn't required per spec. The service guy made no mention of it on pick up. I traded in my 2008 at 85k and it still had factory rear pads on it. Go fig.

As for the "Haha" have you tried replacing your cabin air filter yet? :smug:

I don't have one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think automakers are getting better at making the rear pads absolutely tiny to begin with. At one point there were three ~2010ish Accords in the family, and all of them wore out rear pads first.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

I don't have one.

:confuoot: Well, there's probably a tray for it even if they didn't put one in there... We're talking about a '06 3 here?

Also found the paper: Front brake linings are 8mm, rears at 6mm.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think automakers are getting better at making the rear pads absolutely tiny to begin with. At one point there were three ~2010ish Accords in the family, and all of them wore out rear pads first.

Modern stability control systems can be pretty hard on the rear brakes too - it isn't like back in the olden days when the rears did bugger all

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

:confuoot: Well, there's probably a tray for it even if they didn't put one in there... We're talking about a '06 3 here?

Also found the paper: Front brake linings are 8mm, rears at 6mm.

Gen1 Mazda3s absolutely have a cabin air filter. And it's absolutely an iron-clad bitch to get to.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I had two consecutive oil changes where the brake pads increased in size between the first and second. After that I stopped taking them seriously.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MA-Horus posted:

Gen1 Mazda3s absolutely have a cabin air filter. And it's absolutely an iron-clad bitch to get to.

I don't have the Grand Touring model. But I did try to put a filter in, but didn't have enough leverage on the two nuts holding the fuse box in place. I need an electric impact or something.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I had about 33,500 mi on my '13 MS3 when I was advised by the service department to replace the rear pads. I'm taking the car in next week because I think the front pads are about done as I intermittently hear squeaking when I stop. I'm just over 46k mi.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Going to do spark plugs and a fuel injunction cleaning at 82-83K miles on my 3 and see if that helps with my power issue. The drat plugs are $16 each. Long drives are bad for getting paranoid about problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be silly to buy a parts MS6 with a blown motor right?

Like, really silly?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Shopping for tires, great timing for Discount Tire's memorial day deal. Seems to be not as good as their usual sales, but I don't think I can handle waiting til July 4... :smithcloud:

I have a 2008 MS3 at about 133k miles with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's on 225/40/18. I could grab the same tire but at stock sizing since the pricing works out better ($121/tire). The more attractive option is ponying up $165/tire for Continental ExtremeContact Sport (225/45/18) which is the newer version of the Continental DW. The DW was popular for matching up well against Michelin PS2's without the price tag, so this has me curious. Big thing I hate about my Hankooks is the rain performance and the new Contis seem to address that well. Also the NVH got significantly worse as they wore and I understand that's just how it goes for performance summer tires. In general I would be happy to gain some kind of NVH improvement.

Previous tires I've used: Stock Potenza RE050A, Kumho Ecsta SPT (never loving again :barf:), Hankook Ventus V12

Anyway, would love to hear back if anyone here happens to be using these tires. Just feeling like I might be the guinea pig since there's barely any feedback online other than Car and Driver.

quote:

Our final runs were conducted on a wet/dry handling course in Subaru WRXs and more M235i coupes. Here, Continental provided competitive tires for A/B testing, and while the Sport was subjectively neck and neck with the Michelin Pilot Sport in feel and performance during the dry portions, it was demonstrably better than the Michelin and the other two tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 and Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position) in wet handling and braking, a conclusion we also reached with respect to the DW in our last big comparison test of performance tires.

e: Oh and while I am yapping away, I also did my brakes earlier this year. Got Stoptech rotors and pads and wish I had put these on the car way sooner!

air- fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 18, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My ExtremeContact DWs (not the DWS) got very noisy.

That is all.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

It looks like the Discount Tire Memorial Day sale is basically the same as last year’s 4th of July so no real loss? Only have to figure out what best/better/etc means now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I ran Extreme Contact DWs for a while. Traction was great, and I didn't have any issues in the Texas rain. I switched to Pilot Super Sports after those, which overall I would say are better tires, but for the price the DWs have a great bang/buck ratio. No complaints about the DWs from me.