Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Renegret posted:

Question about ammo crits:

Do they work in this game like in tabletop (with CASE, I guess) where the damage the ammo explosion does is some sort of function of how much ammo is left? Or does it just immediately blow the part?

I've never crit ammo in this game and not have that section of the mech get destroyed. I'm not really sure if that's it's an auto-boom, or if it's just because I don't see ammo get critically low very often.

Ammo explosions will essentially destroy whatever location they are in, and any arms attached to it if it was a side torso, but there's no spillover damage. Also if the ammo bin is half empty it doesn't explode (just gets destroyed instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
So does that imply that the safest place to put your ammo is all in one arm, and then face that side away from the enemy?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Emy posted:

So does that imply that the safest place to put your ammo is all in one arm, and then face that side away from the enemy?

well, I wouldn't suggest putting ammo for different weapons in the same spot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Emy posted:

it's a pretty safe place, yeah, assuming you can always keep it isolated.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The best place for ammo is the head, with the logic that if you're taking structure damage in the head the pilot's probably paste anyway so they might as well be sitting on a box of dynamite.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In tabletop there is such a thing as a through-armor critical and head hits are significantly more common at 2.77%, so storing ammo in the head is significantly more suicidal there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

So a few missions after Dekker caught his slight case of death, Medusa got his Jenner totaled because I am bad at video games. I was pissed that he was dead, but to my surprise, he actually survived. He was just in the medbay for 87 days. And then some bonus ran out and he was out for 111 days. And I still have to pay him.

*walks into Medusa's bunk, a pillow grasped with two fists*

I actually don't have the heart to kick him out, but I know I should.

My medusa got butt hurt over movie night and I fired his rear end between systems

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tactlessbastard posted:

My medusa got butt hurt over movie night and I fired his rear end between systems

in my head this means airlocked

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Just wanted to point out that taking the double heatsinks out of the star league Highlander and stuffing them into a Black Knight with all the lasers makes it pretty a pretty scary mech surgeon.

Even so, I've found most energy weapons really lacking. I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't rather have the punch of AC/20s (for quickly killing things like Demolishers) or the stability damage of missiles. They don't have to deal with ammo, but I don't think I've ever really run into an issue with running out. I think they need something more to compensate for the lack of stability damage. PPCs just don't feel like they do enough for the crazy amount of heat they generate. You also can't headcap with them, either - at least, I don't think I've seen a PPC+++ that could yet.

vv Mine have all been +acc :sweatdrop: Still, I think I'd rather have an AC/10. vv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

TehKeen posted:

Just wanted to point out that taking the double heatsinks out of the star league Highlander and stuffing them into a Black Knight with all the lasers makes it pretty a pretty scary mech surgeon.

Even so, I've found most energy weapons really lacking. I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't rather have the punch of AC/20s (for quickly killing things like Demolishers) or the stability damage of missiles. They don't have to deal with ammo, but I don't think I've ever really run into an issue with running out. I think they need something more to compensate for the lack of stability damage. You also can't headcap with them, either - at least, I don't think I've seen a PPC+++ that could yet.

PPCs can get +10 damage, which does turn them into headcappers. I've seen a couple here and there.

This game still has the issue that pretty much every BT game has had, where Medium Lasers are such a good ratio of tonnage/damage/heat compared to everything else that there's no reason not to slam a couple into every mech where they can fit. In this game it's mitigated by them doing no stability damage and heatsinks being less efficient than in TT but they're still really good.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 10, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My Black Knight had a PPC+++ which had plus 30 stagger damage I think.. It got knocked down and blown off by a tanks Ac20 the little poo poo.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Tarezax posted:

PPCs can get +10 damage, which does turn them into headcappers. I've seen a couple here and there.
Unfortunately, that is still only 60 damage, which is 1 damage shy of being a headcapper.

Having an enemy 'Mech survive a headshot with only one structure left is infuriating.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ardlen posted:

Unfortunately, that is still only 60 damage, which is 1 damage shy of being a headcapper.

Having an enemy 'Mech survive a headshot with only one structure left is infuriating.

gently caress, I forgot head has 16 structure, not 15

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I stay on the lookout for AC/10++ damage to be my head cappers for the better range/lighter tonnage. Thinking about finding a few of those and going ham on the headshots.

Yanno, AC/20s kinda suck after you get tactics 9. It's better to SRM boat with high morale and called shot. My short range SRM Demolisher seems to outperform my King Crab with dual AC/20s.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congratulations, the King Crab also supports an SRMboat build

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the logic behind boating with SRMs that they just get more chances to hit the head of the target?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Damage to tonnage for me. 12x6 for the relatively common SRM++ for damage makes for a hell of an alpha strike when you got 4-5 of them.

Wait, the Kintaro has 5 hardpoints, and 28 maximum tons of space.

call it 15 tons for 5 SRM6s with 3 tons of ammo and the rest to armor, and you gt an alpha of 360 damage for 10 salvos on a 55 tonner if you find enough SRM++ launchers.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 10, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is the logic behind boating with SRMs that they just get more chances to hit the head of the target?

that and they have high damage/ton so called shots will wreck poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty much, also they're lightweight so you can cram some in on an armor-heavy build. But really, most mechs you'd use as a brawler will have the hardpoints for maybe a handful of MLs and a few missiles so may as well make use of them.

The called shot mastery thing also mean they can even core out heavies pretty quickly, too, after a point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How much damage should a mech output? I know my laser mech on paper has a lot of damage (like 4 M lasers+PPC) but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Also still haven't done my next story mission because I suddenly found Orions in backwater missions and am trying to hunt one down.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've been struggling to find a good loadout to work with my Gausslander but a PPC+++, Gauss, and LRMs is pretty good for direct-fire at long range, which is the entire point of how I built it. I tried a LL+++ but it was ... not good enough. The PPC is pretty hot, and I had to remove jumpjets for it, so I'm still not sure about it.

Still, I get stability damage, I can punch holes, and I can critseek all in one alpha. Plus I put in enough LRMs it can throw a reasonable secondary salvo if my boat has to do something else that turn.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Psion posted:

I've been struggling to find a good loadout to work with my Gausslander but a PPC+++, Gauss, and LRMs is pretty good for direct-fire at long range, which is the entire point of how I built it. I tried a LL+++ but it was ... not good enough. The PPC is pretty hot, and I had to remove jumpjets for it, so I'm still not sure about it.

Still, I get stability damage, I can punch holes, and I can critseek all in one alpha. Plus I put in enough LRMs it can throw a reasonable secondary salvo if my boat has to do something else that turn.

i run a gauss with 2x LRM20+++

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tae posted:

How much damage should a mech output? I know my laser mech on paper has a lot of damage (like 4 M lasers+PPC) but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Also still haven't done my next story mission because I suddenly found Orions in backwater missions and am trying to hunt one down.

it really depends on whether you mean stability (as much as possible) or are using holepunch/critseek weapons, plus obviously the weight of the mech itself.

for a laserboat, literally every slot possible with an mlaser is usually "respectable." What's your specific lasermech?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They are the lightweight brawling option for mechs that want to get in close but can't carry an AC/20.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tae posted:

Early game, 100 damage is kind of the minimum your mechs should put out in a turn, and a lot of the scripted missions seem to be tuned around that value. Later 200-ish damage seems to be a good amount.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Early on, big guns are better for getting higher concentrations of damage onto single body parts. When you get Called Shot Mastery though your 4xML 3xSRM6 brawler suddenly has the ability to core a heavy in one salvo with Precision Attack.

As an aside, one thing I always mod Griffins for is to give them the same melee values as Shadow Hawks. Because it doesn't feel right playing a game where Griffins are demonstrably worse than a Shad.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Being able to do called shots with missiles seems imbalanced.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Typical Pubbie posted:

Being able to do called shots with missiles seems imbalanced.

Heavy LRM turrets getting called shots is nasty. There are a bunch of possibilities for balance, but turrets getting called shots shouldn't be allowed.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

in my head this means airlocked

Mine too

e: I replaced him with a kick starter pilot in the next system named darth cookie or something like that and he sounds like a jersey hood

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 10, 2018

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Glitch is all right, but depressed horrible Russian accent woman is totally #1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I incapacitated a Thunderbolt without wrecking the mech and it only put up one salvage part to select instead of all three. :saddowns:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kinda late to this conversation, but I would absolutely love multi-lance operations even if we never control more than one lance at a time. It would be a great way to make neat varied encounters that keep lighter mechs relevant while still letting you show off your stable of assaults in the endgame as the centerpiece of the operation. Plus, I mean, we've got like an augmented company of mechs and a second dropship collar here HBS, let us use them :getin:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 10, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found a lady from space brooklyn. I fired her after two missions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kidkissinger posted:

I'm assuming you guys have already covered how good the OST is for this game?

It's insanely cool and good and I often mute a game's music and listen to spotify or a podcast or something but not here, I'm here for this game's soundtrack.

Also yes I can't fault HBS for what's here because this is a drat good game imo, but I'll be elated if there's expansions and/or a sequel that expands on mission complexity in some of the ways y'all're suggesting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone figured out what the terms of good faith/bad faith withdrawals are? Most of the time "completing the primary objective" is still "bad faith" for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone figured out what the terms of good faith/bad faith withdrawals are? Most of the time "completing the primary objective" is still "bad faith" for me.

It might be bugged, that should be a good faith withdrawal.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Tonight I learned that Behemoth is actually Kenshiro

https://streamable.com/uqm2o

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Tonight I learned that Behemoth is actually Kenshiro

https://streamable.com/uqm2o

"you're already cored."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The ++ versions can spit out 72 damage for 3 tons and 12 heat, which is, uh, Extremely Good with high skill targets and called shot.

Headshots are whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xarbala posted:

It might be bugged, that should be a good faith withdrawal.

Blah that sucks then. The mission netted me a Thunderbolt SE and the Quickdraw that uses medium lasers though so not too shabby! Looking into what to do with the Thunderbolt and tossing the Quickdraw in the garbage probably. :v:

e: The Quickdraw variant almost seems better than the Bolt variant actually, at least the stocks. Loaded the Thunderbolt to the gills with lasers and missiles though and it's going to be a little shitkicker

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 10, 2018