Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I never looked at it since I'm not into those sorts of games, but apparently that XV mobage is just a licensed reskin of an infamously lovely timer game that SE allowed to be made because ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Game of War, yes. And "allowed" is a funny way to put "contracted to make".

quote:

Analytics by Slice Intelligence indicated that Game of War's paying players each spent an average of $550 in 2015 on its in-app purchases, compared to $87 spent by the average player of mobile free-to-play games.[15][16] As an example of a "whale," Businessweek described a 15-year-old Game of War player in Belgium who had used his mother's credit card to spend over $41,000 on in-game purchases in the free-to-play game.[17] In December 2016, a 45-year-old California man admitted in federal court to having spent $1 million of embezzled funds on online purchases in Game of War

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The mobile game is always like top 20 in grossing charts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are people that buy stuff in mobile games broken

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Help Im Alive posted:

Because it's literally an addiction on par with cocaine or meth but our society is yet to evolved to recognize it as such and instead claim it must just be a lack of willpower.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
So, uh, the pacing in FFXV is kinda hosed, huh? I went from chapter 9 to 13 yesterday (closing in on the end of ch13, no spoilers pls), and after like 40 hours of chill open-world slice-of-life with my yaoi stereotype brothers, the plot suddenly happened all at once.

Altissia ruled, the boss fight at the end of Altissia ruled, but everything since has been, frankly, kinda exhausting. I feel like there were supposed to be open-world segments in all these places we've visited (hell, it seems like we should've been able to go outside Altissia), but... what? They ran out of money after Titan and the big Altissia setpiece?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sade posted:

They ran out of money after Titan and the big Altissia setpiece?

Yup.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Time rather than money, or at least the two are inextricably linked

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There's a huge part of the other continent that's mostly finished and has collision, so it's pretty obvious they wanted to space things out a bit more in the seond half but ran out of time.
I think the sped up tempo of the plot kind of works with everything spiraling into poo poo at that point though. Makes the pleasent memories of the first half the characters have match the players.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Attitude Indicator posted:

There's a huge part of the other continent that's mostly finished and has collision, so it's pretty obvious they wanted to space things out a bit more in the seond half but ran out of time.
I think the sped up tempo of the plot kind of works with everything spiraling into poo poo at that point though. Makes the pleasent memories of the first half the characters have match the players.
Yeah its not perfect but I like what they were going for with what they came up with. Symbolically, it makes the destruction of the Regalia one of the most significant parts of the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also FF2 is fairly bleak for an NES era game, wow. Party members are dying left and right. I went back to the starting town after the Dreadnought captured Cid's airship and the princess, and some random NPC I talked to was like "Ah you worthless fuckers hosed this up bad, you guys suck at destroying evil airships. GTFO this adventure."

Its like geeze, sorry. We're just 3-4 adventurers, what the hell were you assholes doing when your sovereign got kidnapped?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 10, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

FF2 might be the worst game in the franchise but it has so many interesting bits, like how dour it is. That world map theme sets the tone for how melancholy the game is.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sade posted:

So, uh, the pacing in FFXV is kinda hosed, huh? I went from chapter 9 to 13 yesterday (closing in on the end of ch13, no spoilers pls), and after like 40 hours of chill open-world slice-of-life with my yaoi stereotype brothers, the plot suddenly happened all at once.

Altissia ruled, the boss fight at the end of Altissia ruled, but everything since has been, frankly, kinda exhausting. I feel like there were supposed to be open-world segments in all these places we've visited (hell, it seems like we should've been able to go outside Altissia), but... what? They ran out of money after Titan and the big Altissia setpiece?

"FF fans don't like hallways, eh? What if the hallway was really a train? Now you're always on the move! Brilliant!"

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

The vast majority of players don't spend any money on mobile games. They're just happy to have a game to kill time with. The real money comes from whales who are willing to pay to win.

Sakurazuka posted:

Time rather than money, or at least the two are inextricably linked

They probably realized from making one open world region that they wouldn't be able to do that for the rest of the game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yeah its not perfect but I like what they were going for with what they came up with. Symbolically, it makes the destruction of the Regalia one of the most significant parts of the game.

I remember someone said that part was so stupid. "Am i gonna feel bad for a loving car?" No, dude, you're supposed to realize that this means there's no going back now. Noctis' connection to his dad, past and glory days of cruising around listening to the ff7 soundtrack are gone now. But, on the other hand, the scene is presented kind of stupid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Attitude Indicator posted:

I remember someone said that part was so stupid. "Am i gonna feel bad for a loving car?" No, dude, you're supposed to realize that this means there's no going back now. Noctis' connection to his dad, past and glory days of cruising around listening to the ff7 soundtrack are gone now. But, on the other hand, the scene is presented kind of stupid.

I used Umbra to go back to the open world area to apply the Fan Service skin to the Regalia, because even though Luna died, Noct will always have his waifus.

When the Regalia broke down, I felt so bad for the car, because she was Noctis's only waifu left in the world...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be fair unlike Luna, Noctis got inside the car

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair how many FF characters haven't hosed cars

Besides all of them

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

To be fair how many FF characters haven't hosed cars

Besides all of them

Do chocobos count?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'll allow it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Do chocobos count?

bentacos posted:

So you think you can ride this chocobo?!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do you ride the Chocobo, or does the Chocobo ride you?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I keep seeing guides mentioning Bartz/whoever utilizing rapidfire with spellblade and dual wield. How can I set him up to use all three of those abilities?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kingtheninja posted:

So I keep seeing guides mentioning Bartz/whoever utilizing rapidfire with spellblade and dual wield. How can I set him up to use all three of those abilities?

Mime job.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Freelancer with Rapid Fire and Spellblade, easy as that. If you have ninja mastered, freelancer will inherit dual wield. You can also make the character a mime, equip Time Magic, and use Quick to double your actions, with the downside that you can't equip swords.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
how emotionally stunted to you have to be to think that the scene where the regalia breaks is pointless

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Do you ride the Chocobo, or does the Chocobo ride you?

Depends. Are you in Soviet Russia?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

how emotionally stunted to you have to be to think that the scene where the regalia breaks is pointless

To be fair, there's a scene in an earlier game where the protagonist's chocobo breaking is pointless.

Actually I can think of two FF games where Chocobos break their legs. FF5, where Boko rests up at a pirate cave until healed, and FF Adventure, where some guy cuts off the chocobo's legs and replaces them with robot legs, making it a Chocybo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kweh kweh, waaaaark*

*<warrior of light, disable my pain receptors.>

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

To be fair, there's a scene in an earlier game where the protagonist's chocobo breaking is pointless.

Actually I can think of two FF games where Chocobos break their legs. FF5, where Boko rests up at a pirate cave until healed, and FF Adventure, where some guy cuts off the chocobo's legs and replaces them with robot legs, making it a Chocybo.

Do we count the Type 0 intro?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Why did Strago join the fanatics? I never got that and it’s never explored is it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Himuro posted:

Why did Strago join the fanatics? I never got that and it’s never explored is it?

presumably he lost contact with relm and that drove him to depression, thats what ive always assumed since shes the key to breaking him out of it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Kweh kweh, waaaaark*

*<warrior of light, disable my pain receptors.>
:wow:

I laughed way harder at this than I should have

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

presumably he lost contact with relm and that drove him to depression, thats what ive always assumed since shes the key to breaking him out of it

I always thought the Kefka cultists were straight up being brainwashed/mind-controlled by Magi Master or something.

It's way sadder to imagine a lonely old man being seduced by cult tactics bc everyone he loves is dead and nothing matters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Strago woke up in a lovely world and thought everyone was dead so he just gave up hope.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

wizard on a water slide posted:

I always thought the Kefka cultists were straight up being brainwashed/mind-controlled by Magi Master or something.

It's way sadder to imagine a lonely old man being seduced by cult tactics bc everyone he loves is dead and nothing matters.

First one makes sense but you still have encounters once you beat him and there’s still cultists at the bottom floor even with him dead.

Second idea is tragic.

Then there’s the fact the original name of Gem Box is Soul of Thamasa so maybe he was just drawn to the magical power of the locale (being that you can only use magic) and his heritage?

Either way, knocked the place out today. Last floor before you get the gem box has some doozies because they come into battle with auto reflect until you remember that you can’t reflect Ultima. :smug:

Can beat the game now but still need to get Umaro, do a few quests and level up a few people and teach them spells I want on em (obvious stuff like Pearl/holy on Cyan). Gave Paladin Shield to Celes. As a former Imperial general turned Returner she has the dark knight -> Paladin story down pat. After I beat it I’ll go back and beat all the dragons and doom gaze.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 10, 2018

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Also FF2 is fairly bleak for an NES era game, wow. Party members are dying left and right. I went back to the starting town after the Dreadnought captured Cid's airship and the princess, and some random NPC I talked to was like "Ah you worthless fuckers hosed this up bad, you guys suck at destroying evil airships. GTFO this adventure."

Its like geeze, sorry. We're just 3-4 adventures, what the hell were you assholes doing when your sovereign got kidnapped?

There are other games with city destroying superweapons or high bodycounts but none are as matter-of-fact about it as FF2. Four cities are destroyed offscreen while you're in a dungeon and it's just treated as a fact of war, the village you go to for help is massacred before you get there, a poo poo ton of characters die many in unglamorous or pointless ways.

It's the closest Final Fantasy has come to being a Taro Yoko game, at least until he directs FFXVI.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Himuro posted:

First one makes sense but you still have encounters once you beat him and there’s still cultists at the bottom floor even with him dead.

Second idea is tragic.

Then there’s the fact the original name of Gem Box is Soul of Thamasa so maybe he was just drawn to the magical power of the locale (being that you can only use magic) and his heritage?

Either way, knocked the place out today. Last floor before you get the gem box has some doozies because they come into battle with auto reflect until you remember that you can’t reflect Ultima. :smug:

Can beat the game now but still need to get Umaro, do a few quests and level up a few people and teach them spells I want on em (obvious stuff like Pearl/holy on Cyan). Gave Paladin Shield to Celes. As a former Imperial general turned Returner she has the dark knight -> Paladin story down pat. After I beat it I’ll go back and beat all the dragons and doom gaze.

Unlike magic curses, brainwashing doesn't automatically get cured if you kill the brainwasher.

And to this day I refuse to do the Cultist's Tower without Mog and the moogle charm. gently caress that tower.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sweet, I've already unlocked the "No Waifu No Laifu" feat.