Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

well, poo poo. I was going to go with Blood Angels because the tutorials make painting space marines in general look reasonably easy, and I really liked the bright red of the Blood Angels.

You can still get a pretty bright red with the GW paints. When using one of their recipes I often find that I shift everything brighter by one shade more than they recommend. So for their blood angel recipe I would make evil suns scarlet the base coat, and then a first edge highlight of 1:1 evil suns and fire dragon bright, then a tiny edge highlight of just fire dragon bright.

I'm not a huge fan of the brighter citadel reds to be honest, they just don't get saturated enough for what I usually want. The bright red armor I like is from this tutorial and starts with army painter pure red:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-eldar-of-saim.html
A 1:1 mix of VMC Vermillion and vallejo game ink Red is also really nice.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks all for the words- I’ll be using this army (when done) for Nova and hopefully if we get a ham slam soon to play test it there.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

These are freaking incredible. The painting and the conversions are so good. Are these white scars or custodes? They look way better in your color scheme than the usual custodes "ALL GOLD EVERYTHING"!

White Scars- I wanted to have and all-Primaris army, and that was my first attempt at a conversion. I will say it is not as easy as I had thought.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So If I prime Mephiston Red, but then do a basecoat of Evil Sunz Red instead of a highlight, and then an edge higlight of Jokaero Orange, I'll be able to get a brighter red with only one extra step. That seems doable.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Honestly, I'd prime white, then airbrush the Mephiston Red. If you really want a bright red, doing it over white is usually a good start.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And if you don't have an airbrush you can still prime white and spray mephiston red.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I prime white and airbrush mephiston. I think it looks pretty good and bright.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, thanks for the tip

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

So If I prime Mephiston Red, but then do a basecoat of Evil Sunz Red instead of a highlight, and then an edge higlight of Jokaero Orange, I'll be able to get a brighter red with only one extra step. That seems doable.

I would use wild rider red, or the mix of evil sunz scarlet and fire dragon bright.

Jokaero Orange is a bit darker and while it works in their intermediate edge highlight step, it might not look quite right.

Remember to do a wash in the recesses of the armor too, I usually paint AP strong tone directly into the recesses and then clean up with the basecoat.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Booley is being modest, by the way. His Blood Angels are some of the best models I've seen on here

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'll never get tired of watching that dude get rocked in the face.

Content! Here's the leaks I was talking about. (I didn't take these photos).

:gizz:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 10, 2018

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Cross post

Been working on a squad of inceptors for my space wolves

Tried for about 10 minutes to attach this guy to the flight stand before giving up for the night

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DotyManX posted:

Cross post

Tried for about 10 minutes to attach this guy to the flight stand before giving up for the night

I'm going to use my Primaris as wolves too. Mine are that sweet, powdery baby blue though :nyan:

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm going to use my Primaris as wolves too. Mine are that sweet, powdery baby blue though :nyan:

Yeah, I’m using the formula from one of the old WarhammerTV videos: base in The Fang, Wetbrush Russ Grey, recess shade with Agrax earth shade and edge highlight with Fenrisian grey.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Booley is being modest, by the way. His Blood Angels are some of the best models I've seen on here

Ehh, they're good for what they are. They're just really clean basic paint jobs. I think my Fists are significantly better, as is the work that a lot of the 30k thread (bulbasaur, hixson, ijyt, endman, sulecrist, etc) puts out.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

After talking to Corrode, I got some motivation to work on poo poo I already own. This is what happenened.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I have one of those that I can't even motivate myself to build. That looks great!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DotyManX posted:

Cross post

That gold looks incredible. What's your recipe?

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That gold looks incredible. What's your recipe?

I base Bathalsar gold, wash reikland fleshshade, then hit upper parts with retributor armor.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing a game tomorrow against my buddy. His first time trying out his Necrons, and my first time trying out a full Custodes list. 1056 points.

I haven’t played in a few weeks thanks to finals, so I’m excited to throw some dice!

I’m taking 2 Allarus Shield Captains, 3 Allarus Custodes and 3 squads of 3 Custodes.

He’s taking a Cryptek, an overlord, 3 5 man immortal squads with Tesla, 12 warriors, 5 Lychguard, 3 scarab swarms, 3 wraiths and an annihilation barge.

How badly am I going to get wrecked?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cooked Auto posted:

Here's a better picture of that entry by the way:

The last time this happened they managed to teleport an entire moon over to terra. I could not be more hyped for this codex.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

What's going on with the Fallen at the moment?

It seems like with the last FAQ that you have to take them in their own separate detachment, or am I getting that wrong?

Also I wish GW would stop putting little teasers in the codexes about how Luther escaped the Rock because it's just getting my hopes up for an independent Codex: Fallen Angels.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DotyManX posted:

Cross post

Inceptors are known to be a complete pain in the rear end to glue to their stands.

My suggestion is to use sandpaper on the ball, or failing that just don’t even bother using them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endman posted:

It seems like with the last FAQ that you have to take them in their own separate detachment, or am I getting that wrong?

Also I wish GW would stop putting little teasers in the codexes about how Luther escaped the Rock because it's just getting my hopes up for an independent Codex: Fallen Angels.

I wish they had gotten the Sisters of Silence*/Assassins/LotD HQ-exemption.

*: Who didn't need it since they have an HQ although I'll grant that in terms of narrative it's a bit strange?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doesn't Strange Allies act as an exception? (I don't have the book in front of me.)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Endman posted:

GW overlooked them. The only way to take them is as a -1CP detachment, or as three squads together with Cypher. Which makes their placement in Codex Space Marines kind of :shrug:

I posted about it right after the FAQ, and it hasn't come up since. Seems like there are not a lot of people using Fallen in their armies.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
No one plays regular dark angels, why would anyone want to play double dark angels?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thanqol posted:

No one plays regular dark angels, why would anyone want to play double dark angels?

Dangles were my first horribly painted space marines and double dangles are the coolest

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Endman posted:

Dangles were my first horribly painted space marines and double dangles are the coolest

See a doctor if your double dangles lasts more than 4 editions imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

See a doctor if your double dangles lasts more than 4 editions imo

:perfect:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Inceptors are known to be a complete pain in the rear end to glue to their stands.

My suggestion is to use sandpaper on the ball, or failing that just don’t even bother using them.

The trick is to build them in reverse.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

The trick is to build them in reverse.

I bought Plastruct Clear Rod in 1/8" or 3/32" and I am going to go up through a foot.

It should be a stronger connection and less obtrusive.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So once Orks and Genestealers get a codex, what's next?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheBigAristotle posted:

They've gotta do something with Slaanesh at some point.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

What, like, butt-stuff?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Suppose we'll know on saturday if they will this year.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

TheBigAristotle posted:

9th.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Last year's Warhammerfest covered releases for the next couple of months (the new starter set and lots of Primaris stuff) and gave a little peek at Mortarion who wasn't released until Sept.

Based on the schedule we know they're gonna cover the new Knights codex (almost certainly out in June) and Adeptus Titanicus in more detail. I think we'll also see the new Death stuff for AoS. I doubt we'll see much beyond this summer, and my money is on Orks arriving before Slaanesh.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Here we go with the titties again

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

my money is on Orks arriving before Slaanesh.

Typical selfish Orks, no concern for her pleasure!

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Here we go with the titties again

Let's hope so