Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
haha the clue that the butler might not be omnipotent comes when he says "I don't know what motivated the Burmese to resist, maybe they secretly wanted MI6 to flamethrower their houses . . "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Somewhat relevant to the thread.

quote:

Global Road Boards Live-Action Adaptation of ‘Tiger & Bunny’

Donald Tang’s Global Road Entertainment is partnering with Bandai Namco Pictures, Imagine Entertainment, and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road Pictures to produce and distribute “Tiger & Bunny,” a live-action, English-language film based on the hit Japanese anime series of the same name.

The film is being written by Ellen Shanman (TV’s “Sports Tips With Chip”). The story takes place in a near-futuristic city called Stern Bild, where professional superheroes fight crime and save lives on the popular show “Hero TV.” The show’s veteran, Tiger, is challenged by the younger, more dashing Bunny. But confronted by a super-powered terrorist, the two must join forces.

“After a long voyage, we have finally reached new ground. We are determined to live up to our supporters’ and fans’ expectations and bring this exciting project to life,” said Bandai Namco’s Masayuki Ozaki.

The film is to be produced by Bandai Namco Pictures’ Ozaki; Imagine’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, and Erica Huggins; and Weed Road’s Goldsman. Global Road will pitch the project to distributors this week at the Cannes Film Market.

http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/global-road-adaptation-tiger-and-bunny-1202800873/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is

If you REALLY strip it down

Tiger and Bunny is actually kind of perfect for a movie adaptation. The core story is really solid and would have a lot of heart to explore without all of the layers of kind of pointless filler and endless subplots that don't actually resolve themselves.

Maaaaybe reconsider the one romance subplot being between a dude and the girl who's like, three years older than his daughter though

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Burkion posted:

The thing is

If you REALLY strip it down

Tiger and Bunny is actually kind of perfect for a movie adaptation. The core story is really solid and would have a lot of heart to explore without all of the layers of kind of pointless filler and endless subplots that don't actually resolve themselves.

Maaaaybe reconsider the one romance subplot being between a dude and the girl who's like, three years older than his daughter though

So like a lot of trophy wives?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every couple of years I'll try out a new anime hoping that somehow there's another Cowboy Bebop unicorn out there. Each time ends in disappointment. Tiger and Bunny was probably the closest thing I found. But waaaay too much anime nonsense in there still.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Every couple of years I'll try out a new anime hoping that somehow there's another Cowboy Bebop unicorn out there. Each time ends in disappointment. Tiger and Bunny was probably the closest thing I found. But waaaay too much anime nonsense in there still.

The newest Garo is probably your best bet, though it's still nowhere near Cowboy Bebop.

It's still got annoying over done fanservice, but it actually feels appropriate given that the entire thesis of the show is that the main character is the most masculine person in existence and the entire show is basically one huge love letter to 1980s over masculine hyper violent anime. All of the fanservice is directed at Of Age characters as well. They don't do any of the usual creepy anime bullshit.

Specifically though it's Garo Vanishing Line, because the first Garo anime, while a neat visual throwback to 1970s anime, isn't that great. And the second one, Crimson Moon, is inexplicably a mediocre mid 2000s anime made in 2016.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

check out Black Lagoon

it's basically an 80s action movie done as two seasons of anime and an OVA. it has slight amounts of anime nonsense, but it's not the typical kind of anime nonsense, it's stuff like an early fight between a torpedo boat and a helicopter ending with the boat doing a loving sick jump off a ramp and shooting one of its torpedoes at the helicopter in midair. if Ed and Ein and Vicious didn't put you off CB the weird poo poo in Black Lagoon won't bother you.

e: also for an actual closer rec instead of just "something you'll probably be ok with" check out MEGALOBOX. the literal only "anime nonsense" in it so far is the central conceit of cyborg boxing and the fact that there's a group of drug-addicted kids tagging along with the protagonist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

check out Black Lagoon

it's basically an 80s action movie done as two seasons of anime and an OVA. it has slight amounts of anime nonsense, but it's not the typical kind of anime nonsense, it's stuff like an early fight between a torpedo boat and a helicopter ending with the boat doing a loving sick jump off a ramp and shooting one of its torpedoes at the helicopter in midair. if Ed and Ein and Vicious didn't put you off CB the weird poo poo in Black Lagoon won't bother you.

e: also for an actual closer rec instead of just "something you'll probably be ok with" check out MEGALOBOX. the literal only "anime nonsense" in it so far is the central conceit of cyborg boxing and the fact that there's a group of drug-addicted kids tagging along with the protagonist.

That first episode the spoiler describes really isn't representative, though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

feedmyleg posted:

It's old too, but check out "Planetes" if you haven't already.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

starkebn posted:

It's old too, but check out "Planetes" if you haven't already.

Planetes isn't perfect, but when it's good, it's really good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

the last good anime was ninja scroll, come at me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I assume you've already tried Samurai Champloo?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Space Dandy was by some of the same people as Cowboy Bebop, references it and is pretty entertaining. And has a kicking rad theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9aye8uTCk

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Margot Robbie talks a bit about her future plans with Harley.

quote:

“I pitched the idea of an R-rated girl gang film including Harley, because I was like, ‘Harley needs friends.’ Harley loves interacting with people, so don’t ever make her do a standalone film. She’s got to be with other people, it should be a girl gang. I wasn’t seeing enough girl gangs on screen, especially in the action space. So that was always a big part of it.

And then of course having a female director to tell that story. And giving a female director the chance to do big budget stuff. They always get ‘Here’s the tiny little film’… I was like, ‘I love action. I love action films. I’m a girl. What, are we meant to only like a specific thing’?” So it was a hugely important to find a female director for this, if possible. But at the end of the day — male, female — the best director gets the job and Cathy was the best director.

I want to make a girl gang, R-rated film that Harley is a part of,” Robbie explained, “And we started working on it from there. Meanwhile, over the course of the next few years, the studio was exploring other Harley Quinn spin-offs. But I was not a part of those versions, I was always focused on this one with Christina… I know that they were exploring ‘Gotham City Sirens’ with David Ayer, and I know they were exploring a Joker and Harley Quinn movie, and they were exploring doing I don’t know what else. I wasn’t a part of those. I was focusing on this. I kept presenting it to the studio until they felt it was at a point where they were ready to do it. And now we’re all in.”

http://collider.com/harley-quinn-movie-r-rated-margot-robbie/#cathy-yan

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/994200379800932358

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUxEcXe4RQs

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Deadpool 2 probably has the best marketing campaign since Saints Row 3.

Lets hope it turns out more like Saints Row 4

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please be informed that an Iron Man suit used in the 2008 movie is missing.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05/08/only-on-2-original-iron-man-suit-worth-over-300k-goes-missing/

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

clearly viral marketing in order to set up iron man 4: armor wars

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Twentieth Century Fox
TBD

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm the guy who didn't get the joke and corncobbed hard and replied to every single response.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

clearly viral marketing in order to set up iron man 4: armor wars

even if it wasn't it should be now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deadpool dies, it turns out his girlfriend is Death, ties into Infinity War sequel and Sandman adaptation, also Disney bought Fox and DC.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Deadpool dies, it turns out his girlfriend is Death, ties into Infinity War sequel and Sandman adaptation, also Disney bought Fox and DC.
This is all so Disney can give us an “Access: Amalgam War” movie.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is all so Disney can give us an “Access: Amalgam War” movie.

Depending on which studio made it I'd watch the hell out of a DC vs Marvel movie. I want to see Zack Snyder direct the Thor vs Shazam fight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm the guy who didn't get the joke and corncobbed hard and replied to every single response.

What's the joke?

And also, I'm super happy for Reynolds and his success, but... yeesh. The attempts at humor in that letter were trying so goddamn hard. A lazy, wacky David Blaine joke reference followed by a lazy, wacky Colonel Sanders joke reference? Hm, could this possibly be a middle-aged man writing for teenagers? That's exactly what all the trailers I've seen feel like to me, too. Though I guess same goes with the first.

Oh well, to each their own :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

What's the joke?

And also, I'm super happy for Reynolds and his success, but... yeesh. The attempts at humor in that letter were trying so goddamn hard. A David Blaine joke followed by a Colonel Sanders joke? Hm, could this possibly be a middle-aged man writing jokes for teenagers? That's exactly what all the trailers I've seen feel like to me, too. Though I guess same goes with the first.

Oh well, to each their own :shrug:

It’s making fun of the Infinity War spoiler letter.

And that’s Deadpool’s humor. Dated references splattered through out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I would mark out in the theater if it pops up in Deadpool 2.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've mostly enjoyed Deadpool 2's marketing, but the "lol look how long our hashtag is" and working chimichangas into each one five or six times jokes are very eye-rolly and the worst kind of Deadpool humor.

Although, the internet has informed me that I am in the minority and "chimichangas" is apparently far and away the most popular Deadpool joke.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Deadpool humour immediately nosedives when it's just "Look, Deadpool doing a thing. It's funny because it's Deadpool. Look, Deadpool's wearing a hat!"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Get on board, this train ain't stopping!

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/994577364599308288

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I never understood the claim that the Deadpool franchise has good marketing. Pretty much every joke they make is the absolute easiest one. Why yes, I do remember when Ryan Reynolds was in another superhero movie. It was less than a decade ago.

Suicide Squad’s marketing took a movie that was incomprehensible and droll and made it look like a rollicking good time. That’s actually-good marketing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The actual Deadpool movie was way better than various stunts they did to promote it, so hopefully this one will be the same.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The actual Deadpool movie was way better than various stunts they did to promote it, so hopefully this one will be the same.

Name movies where the ads are better.

Blue Crush was the first ad that struck me as showing the whole movie and was definitely better paced.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pirate Jet posted:

Suicide Squad’s marketing took a movie that was incomprehensible and droll and made it look like a rollicking good time. That’s actually-good marketing.

With one trailer that used all the good bits in the movie and relied heavily on a Queen song

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

American Sniper

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Morena Baccarin would actually be really good casting for Sexy Death.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm talking specifically about the stunts Reynolds did, not, like, the trailers.

But even going into trailers, it seems totally common for mediocre movies to be able to pull together a good ad—Baby Driver, Triple 9, Morgan, whatever—but here's a couple extreme examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

With one trailer that used all the good bits in the movie and relied heavily on a Queen song

I’m not just referring to the trailers, I’m referring to the ads, tie-ins, posters, everything. Suicide Squad itself was a Frankenstein’s monster of a movie that was pushed through a “lighter and funnier” meat grinder and then ejected halfway through the process, the marketing made it look like the conversion was complete.

And even if I was, “used all the good bits and relied heavily on a Queen song” is how marketing works, yeah, you got it champ.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm talking specifically about the stunts Reynolds did, not, like, the trailers.

But even going into trailers, it seems totally common for mediocre movies to be able to pull together a good ad—Baby Driver, Triple 9, Morgan, whatever—but here's a couple extreme examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

Wait, am I the only one that really liked that movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pirate Jet posted:

I never understood the claim that the Deadpool franchise has good marketing. Pretty much every joke they make is the absolute easiest one. Why yes, I do remember when Ryan Reynolds was in another superhero movie. It was less than a decade ago.

Honestly, I haven't been feeling anything good about Deadpool 2's marketing. It's all very tryhard and is falling into the Family Guy trap of "Look, see? Reference! That's funny! LAUGH, MOTHERFUCKER!"

I'm genuinely expecting the movie to be a disappointment, both actually and financially. I think the joke wore off after the first one.