Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

So I just started at a new company here in Vegas, and after 3 days, I got my new van,

A brand new Transit 350 with the EcoBoost engine. Granted, it's pretty empty right now, but man, that thing is QUICK.

Grats on the new job. Here's hoping that this one doesn't send you far away for training on something you don't want to do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Posting in here on a quick forums procrastination break in the middle of this really fun final project.

Also I met this lady from Michigan last Thursday and she has no friends here so I'm trying not to ask her out and instead inviting her out to everything my friend group does. She's come out 3 nights since Thursday, basically everything that we've done, and she's really excited to meet everyone. Also I have the hots for her and am conflicted as gently caress about it because she's been here for 7 months and really wants friends and doesn't have any.

Wat do goons?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The way you frame it, she just wants to be friends. I'd respect that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Just like hang out and if ya end up getting tipsy banging one night then that’s great but otherwise you can just be friends and find out if she’s secretly a furry or a neo Nazi or whatever it is you’re not into.

My motto has always been: Don’t screw the crew. I broke that rule and it has worked out for me in a big way so :shrug:

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 10, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But I broke that rule about screwing the crew and 13 months later I was single again, had a new avatar, and also I have to take daily pills so, you know, be careful about breaking that rule. It's a doozy if it backfires.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Roger. My friend group here is really tight. We met her when myself and 2 others from it were at a Cuban place and some weirdo was dancing with her and she approached my friend's wife to get away from him. That being said, she's definitely been texting me mostly, and dancing with me a bunch whenever we're out.

I'm definitely getting the "chill out and be passive" vibe the more I talk about this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has she made it explicitly clear that she only wants to make friends? Ask her to lunch, just try to spend some casual one on one time with her.

Alternatively beware because everyone from flyover states are garbage humans.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

No she hasn't. I may invite her out to lunch down the line, good call. A lot of us are going to Jamaica next week (please don't burn AI down in my absence) so it's a moot point for a bit anyhow. She just texted me saying how she really hopes we're going to the same place tomorrow. Ugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay so she clearly enjoys spending time around you so that's a definite plus. How soon is your trip?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Next time you are out, see if they have an internet jukebox and just play Carly Rae Jepsen's I Really Really Really Really Like You.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ya dingus.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Okay so she clearly enjoys spending time around you so that's a definite plus. How soon is your trip?

Saturday for a week.

Toshimo posted:

Next time you are out, see if they have an internet jukebox and just play Carly Rae Jepsen's I Really Really Really Really Like You.

I am Tom Hanks.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 10, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What if you just flatly was like "So hey..." and then just kinda laid it all out? I've done that a couple times in my past and it's always worked out but I guess it has a lot to do with the situation and how you deliver it.

Basically trying to play a game or do a specific procedure or something about this sort of stuff is a fool's errand so just click to 'emotions' and let that guide you :420:

At the absolute worst you'll have a definite answer one way or the other. If you waffle then you'll be stuck with possible regret.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just be a friend you dingus, sounds like that's working great so far.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Adiabatic posted:

(please don't burn AI down in my absence)

So guys, I've got half a small engine fuel tank of rusty gasoline that I need to... *ahem* dispose of.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just be a friend you dingus, sounds like that's working great so far.

True, but a little bit of light flirting can't hurt, if you're not a goon about it. If it's not reciprocated, well, then you know.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Adiabatic, only one person can tell you if she is interested in you as more than a friend or not and that's nobody here.

Ask her, not us.

E: Ya dingus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah flirting and seeing how it's received, also coming right out saying you're attracted to someone helps kinda break the ice and see where you stand.

When I met my wife it was instant mutual attraction, we flirted a lot so it was pretty much understood right away that it's on :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Can confirm, am dingus. Thanks AI!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

I live on the outskirts of Phoenix, and my A/C handles even 120 degree days without any problem, other than electricity consumption, which can be extreme when an A/C unit is running nearly full time. Luckily I have a solar system that over the course of the year builds up more than enough peak credits to offset the daytime use and I only really get larger electric bills in the summer due to off-peak use since it will still be 90+ at night for a good bit of our summers. I keep the inside temp at 77 degrees most of the time.

Dallas doesn't hit 120, but we do get close to 110, and my AC has no problem keeping it at 70 inside.

I like it cool, and you guys have heard me talk about my weird rear end electric plan before. I have a few days to gobble up 200 kWh (otherwise my bill will be well north of $100 instead of $45). It's been hitting 90 a bit, seems like a good time to crank the ac down to 65, turn on space heaters, and do a ton of laundry. :v:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hmm, I wonder if some of you younger guys are just so used to having FB that using any other mode of communication seems "harder" for some silly reason. I tried FB for a few months then cut it off because it was unnecessary clutter I didn't need. Up until FB came along I kept in touch with the people I wanted to just fine, and to me texting has made it way easier than any social media has. Now i have group texts with my good friends and it can't get any easier than that imo.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a minimalist so that may have a lot to do with it as well, but

I preferred to use AIM to stay in touch, up until AOL finally shut it down. So yeah... Facebook Messenger sees a lot of use, but I don't use Facebook much outside of glancing at the AI group now and then.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

Be cool, bro. Let it play out for a little longer and see how it goes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Adiabatic posted:

No she hasn't. I may invite her out to lunch down the line, good call. A lot of us are going to Jamaica next week (please don't burn AI down in my absence) so it's a moot point for a bit anyhow. She just texted me saying how she really hopes we're going to the same place tomorrow. Ugh.

Depends if you wanna do the do, or just have a cool friend.

Do whatever you feel, just don't be creepy. (This is still S.A., and you're still a goon, I feel this is warranted.)

Ya dingus.

In other news, goddamn do I not realize how much I rely on my meds to get through work until I don't have them. I'm more productive in the last 30m than I was for 2 goddamn days without it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Alternatively beware because everyone from flyover states are garbage humans.

:catstare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
As a garbage human from a flyover state, I can confirm.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Liquid Communism posted:

As a garbage human from a flyover state, I can confirm.

I don't think it even has anything to do (necessarily) with being from a flyover state. humans are garbage. Me included.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Is the acting particularly into you? Finding reasons to be near you (stand near you, choosing to sit near you, etc)? Touch you? Bingo. Good to go.

Alternatively just say "Hey, just making sure I'm getting my signals right, because I can be a bit of a dingus, but I'm kinda digging this thing we got going and..."

Easy peasy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm confused, are you not trying to get with her because she has no friends? That sounds so beta.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

It is the end times, it is now inconvenient and hard to get a pipe threaded.

My Home Depot has a threader right there in the plumbing section. To be fair, I've never tried to get someone to actually use it.

The Locator posted:

Grats on the new job. Here's hoping that this one doesn't send you far away for training on something you don't want to do. :v:

:yotj:

Adiabatic posted:

(please don't burn AI down in my absence)

No mods, no masters.

Also, are mods allowed to have feelings and problems like the rest of us goons? My world is shattered (ya dingus.)

edit: petcock?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm confused, are you not trying to get with her because she has no friends? That sounds so beta.

I know right. Empathy is a bitch.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah I mean, it's fine and good to be Mr. Cool Friend guy but it seems to me she's putting off into-you vibes with all the texting and whatnot. You're going to kick yourself when she gives up and starts dating one of your other friends. We'll also make fun of you and you'll have to start posting in E/N.

I say continue to flirt on your Jamaica trip and it should go pretty easily from there if it's meant to happen. I'm like you in that I want ridgidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty, so if it keeps going well you could bring up a "hey so I have a lot of fun with you..." chat and open up. If she's actually not into you, you seem like a chill dude who won't pout and make it awkward so no big deal and things can keep on being fun. I've remained casual friends with chicks who shot me down and it's fine. Onus being on the dude to not be a huge butthurt creep about it.

She wants new friends which is great, but it ain't like you go up to a group of strangers and announce you want to date, right? Maybe she's looking for a good relationship too! As my girlfriend said in response to my commenting on dudes being hungry as gently caress, "Nahhh... everyone's hungry as gently caress".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I know right. Empathy is a bitch.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah I mean, it's fine and good to be Mr. Cool Friend guy but it seems to me she's putting off into-you vibes with all the texting and whatnot. You're going to kick yourself when she gives up and starts dating one of your other friends. We'll also make fun of you and you'll have to start posting in E/N.

I say continue to flirt on your Jamaica trip and it should go pretty easily from there if it's meant to happen. I'm like you in that I want ridgidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty, so if it keeps going well you could bring up a "hey so I have a lot of fun with you..." chat and open up. If she's actually not into you, you seem like a chill dude who won't pout and make it awkward so no big deal and things can keep on being fun. I've remained casual friends with chicks who shot me down and it's fine. Onus being on the dude to not be a huge butthurt creep about it.

She wants new friends which is great, but it ain't like you go up to a group of strangers and announce you want to date, right? Maybe she's looking for a good relationship too! As my girlfriend said in response to my commenting on dudes being hungry as gently caress, "Nahhh... everyone's hungry as gently caress".

Maybe my statement was too brief. Thanks for filling in the holes, TRN.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Roger that. Headed out tonight for salsa dancing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Bring her a flower.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Darchangel posted:

No mods, no masters.

Also, are mods allowed to have feelings and problems like the rest of us goons? My world is shattered (ya dingus.)

edit: petcock?

Probably not. I know the SA Support Robot has been restarted before for catching feels.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Bring her a flower.

Held in your teeth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Held in your teeth

This is optional.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Held in your teeth

Held in your asscheeks.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

This is optional.

Teeth are only optional in the circles you run in dude.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

My Home Depot has a threader right there in the plumbing section. To be fair, I've never tried to get someone to actually use it.

My Home Depot took away their threader two year ago, citing that only a licensed pipe fitter can cut threads on iron pipe meant for gas lines and that they were getting sick of people building furniture out of iron pipe and having them do shitloads of cut and threads. First cut and thread for each purchased standard length was free and I think they were sick of doing it.

All I'm trying to do here is get a piece of 1/2" PA66 30% pipe threaded on the outside with 1/4"x18NPT/NPS (tapered or not I don't really care at this point). Basically it's the plastic lance from a pressure washer, and the only part you can't easily replace (you can get a trigger assembly and nozzles easily, just not the piece that connects the two, only Princess Auto has them, as part of a $100 pressure washer wand set). I got it in my head I could just cut the lance behind the permanently attached (and hosed) nozzle, put a quick coupler on it and use normal pressure washer nozzles instead of these weird proprietary assemblies that I can't repair. Instead I've spent two days driving around this city to various places trying to find a die in the one size that nobody in this city apparently loving has.

Tried two plumbers, neither could help me, waiting on a call back from a third. Machine shop has taps but not dies. Tool rental place has a pipe threader for rent, $25/day, smallest die in their set is 1/2". Stores don't carry any NPT dies aside from the 1/8"x27NPT that you'd probably find on various lines and fittings in an engine bay. $50 + 2 weeks lead time to order a die from the industrial supplier, $12 and 4 days for a NPS die off amazon.

My neighbour across the street is a licensed pipe fitter, when he gets home from work I'm gonna ask him.

E: Slung suggested I go buy an iron pipe cap and fabricobble a die out of that since I'm only cutting nylon and iron pipe is hard.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adiabatic posted:

With her? It's a done deal then unless you've got 2 left feet...

• Locked thread