Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
More than it should, which is zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hakimashou posted:

How often does that happen?

asking this question in any information gathering capacity forfeits your access to any federal money per the Dickey Amendment, as it might lead to data used to support gun control

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

hakimashou posted:

Isn't that down to you either shoot yourself or you don't though?

Or someone else uses the gun on you, or an “accident” occurs, but yeah it is mostly shooting yourself.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

archangelwar posted:

Statistically speaking, if you own a gun and control for other factors then your lifetime is more likely to be shorter than mine.

Oh you’re one of those kind of gun grabbers, the kind that want to outlaw anything that might shorten lifespan. Is it safe to assume you’re also posting caremadly about alcohol and red meat too?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Yeah, food and alcohol production, distribution, and preparation should be (and are, but probably could be more so!) heavily regulated.

What exactly does that have to do with regulating guns though? Even if we all agree that the above needs to be more regulated, that does not give a pass to the current state of gun regulation. This might be shocking, but in a country of 50 states and 300 million people, it /is/ possible to do more than one thing at once. Crazy thoughts, I know, yet true.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gun

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Raldikuk posted:

Yeah, food and alcohol production, distribution, and preparation should be (and are, but probably could be more so!) heavily regulated.

What exactly does that have to do with regulating guns though? Even if we all agree that the above needs to be more regulated, that does not give a pass to the current state of gun regulation. This might be shocking, but in a country of 50 states and 300 million people, it /is/ possible to do more than one thing at once. Crazy thoughts, I know, yet true.

Libs never met a regulatory regime that they didn’t want to dramatically expand, shocking

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gobbagool posted:

Oh you’re one of those kind of gun grabbers, the kind that want to outlaw anything that might shorten lifespan. Is it safe to assume you’re also posting caremadly about alcohol and red meat too?

Sounds more like he wants us to be able to collect the kind of data that would answer your question. The NRA doesn't want that data to be collected but I'm sure that they have a good reason

E: oh sorry, not your question, someone else's

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

gobbagool posted:

Libs never met a regulatory regime that they didn’t want to dramatically expand, shocking

The epitome of good faith argumentation right here

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gobbagool posted:

I'm grabbing your guns right now.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

gobbagool posted:

I literally stay up into the twilight hours of the morning plotting how I will use the power of government to make you weep.

To clarify my political party is Evil.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

gobbagool posted:

It's all just a smokescreen. Our real goal is turn your children into gay Muslims.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

gobbagool posted:

You sound pretty shook. Why do you think I want to grab the tool most likely to stop your terrible posting?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

RuanGacho posted:

I literally stay up into the twilight hours of the morning plotting how I will use the power of government to make you weep.

To clarify my political party is Evil.

Go to bed Mr. President

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MixMastaTJ posted:

It's all just a smokescreen. Our real goal is turn your children into gay Muslims.
Insha'Allah my gay Muslim children will know how to shoot straight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gobbagool posted:

If only there was some way to regulate alcohol consumption....

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Alhazred posted:

If only there was some way to regulate alcohol consumption....

Go on, finish your analogy.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

...because gun nuttism, much like alcoholism, is hazardous to health and a societal ill and should be treated using therapy and, in the worst cases, hospitalization.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Like, it’s okay to go shoot a gun at the range from time to time for fun.
You cease to be a reasonable adult if you can’t feel any joy if you don’t have GUN with you or in your home at all times, though. And if you GUN too much, then you become an addle-brain moron and you start thinking and posting like this

gobbagool posted:

gobbagool posted:

just imagine being as pants pissingly terrified of guns as fishmech. how do you even leave the house with your knees trembling so bad?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

This but unironically

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

How often does that happen?
about 1000 times in 2017

gobbagool posted:

here's a list of times people have been shot to death with alcohol and/or red meat:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

about 1000 times in 2017
here's a list of times people have been shot to death with alcohol and/or red meat:

To be fair if you take too many shots you can die of alcohol poisoning.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zanzibar Ham posted:

To be fair if you take too many shots you can die of alcohol poisoning.

It all comes back to shooters.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Elizabethan Error posted:

about 1000 times in 2017

wow holy poo poo you're stupid

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

88k deaths related to alcohol a year, i'm surprised you moral panic types aren't pushing for Prohibition 2

Never mind deaths from deaths from heart disease or other issues related to meat consumption

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

can i get the statistics on stress related aneurysms and heart attacks due to the imagined stress about getting GUNs grabbed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gobbagool posted:

I'm not worried even a little bit about that. If you think that is going to happen in any of our lifetimes, you're as dumb as you seem

you got your high capacity magizines taken away by the new york state government and threw a hissy fit about it and live in constant terror we're coming back for the rest

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If alcohol and red meat is so dangerous, why do you need a gun so badly? Just menace random peoplerobbers with a T-bone steak or a Jack Daniels.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

evilweasel posted:

you got your high capacity magizines taken away by the new york state government and threw a hissy fit about it and live in constant terror we're coming back for the rest

"we" sure thing, failed ex-mod evilweasel. see, I know this is hard for you to accept, but not only are you no longer a mod on SA, you're not a mod in real life, you're not taking anything from anyone. Also, if you think the NYS SAFE act was in any way effective at reducing the number of hi cap mags, or modern sporting rifles, in NYS then you're as dumb as you seem too

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-safe-act-weapons-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

wow, 47k out of a million. sounds like a rousing success for the regulatory state! let's declare victory and go home so low end douchebags like evilweasal can preen about it on a dead gay forum

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Please get therapy, banned fascist poster Pauline Kael.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gobbagool posted:

"we" sure thing, failed ex-mod evilweasel. see, I know this is hard for you to accept, but not only are you no longer a mod on SA, you're not a mod in real life, you're not taking anything from anyone. Also, if you think the NYS SAFE act was in any way effective at reducing the number of hi cap mags, or modern sporting rifles, in NYS then you're as dumb as you seem too

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-safe-act-weapons-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

wow, 47k out of a million. sounds like a rousing success for the regulatory state! let's declare victory and go home so low end douchebags like evilweasal can preen about it on a dead gay forum

oh dear, it turns out those law-abiding gun owners aren't following the law, so we'll just have to throw them in jail and take their illegal guns :ohdear:

why, this is a terrible outcome, i hoped to just let them have their assault rifles in peace and have no justification for throwing them in jail and taking away their guns :smith:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

gobbagool posted:

I agree. Enforcement should be stepped up and capacity down.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

So the NYPD keeps stats on officer accuracy in firearms use. They average about 30%, and that includes suicides.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

evilweasel posted:

oh dear, it turns out those law-abiding gun owners aren't following the law, so we'll just have to throw them in jail and take their illegal guns :ohdear:

why, this is a terrible outcome, i hoped to just let them have their assault rifles in peace and have no justification for throwing them in jail and taking away their guns :smith:

wow, scratch a lovely ex-mod, find a fascist, what a shock

and by the way, the State Police union has advised their rank and file not to get involved with SAFE act violations. it sure is something when even the nanny state doesn't want to enforce the law because it's so blindingly stupid. Are you actually Andrew Cuomo? It would make a lot of sense because he's about as good a governor as you were a mod

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gobbagool posted:

wow, scratch a lovely ex-mod, find a fascist, what a shock

and by the way, the State Police union has advised their rank and file not to get involved with SAFE act violations. it sure is something when even the nanny state doesn't want to enforce the law because it's so blindingly stupid. Are you actually Andrew Cuomo? It would make a lot of sense because he's about as good a governor as you were a mod

if you can't be trusted to follow the law even to the extent of a very minimal registration requirement for your deadly cosplay toys, it is an interesting argument that the state should permit you to have something more dangerous to your fellow citizens than a spork

criminals shouldn't have guns, what a terrible facist idea :ohdear: sorry that you are a criminal, best of luck in rikers. i hear they're planning on retiring it soon so you may get a nicer jail!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the government puts me in jail when i very deliberately break sensible laws despite my lilly-white skin!!! facism!!!!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Imagine a law so dumb even New York cops won't enforce it

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Attn all admins reading this thread: please reinstate evilweasel as mod for a few hours just so that he can ban gobbagool in person

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

evilweasel posted:

if you can't be trusted to follow the law even to the extent of a very minimal registration requirement for your deadly cosplay toys, it is an interesting argument that the state should permit you to have something more dangerous to your fellow citizens than a spork

criminals shouldn't have guns, what a terrible facist idea :ohdear: sorry that you are a criminal, best of luck in rikers. i hear they're planning on retiring it soon so you may get a nicer jail!

the only ones that think that the SAFE act was 'very minimal' or even sensible are the worst nanny state assholes. let it sink in that the New York State Government is not willing to stand behind Prince Andrew's signature piece of legislation. despite your tearful plea for the machinery of the State to deny the citizenry their 2A rights, it ain't happening. It's the greatest thing, a state of 20 million people strait up ignoring a law, and law enforcement playing along

btw, one of the SAFE act's biggest champions just had to resign because he was too busy beating the poo poo out of women, a real hero of the left

gobbagool fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gobbagool posted:

the only ones that think that the SAFE act was 'very minimal' or even sensible are the worst nanny state assholes. let it sink in that the New York State Government is not willing to stand behind Prince Andrew's signature piece of legislation. despite your tearful plea for the machinery of the State to deny the citizenry their 2A rights, it ain't happening. It's the greatest thing, a state of 20 million people strait up ignoring a law, and law enforcement playing along

btw, one of the SAFE act's biggest champions just had to resign because he was too busy beating the poo poo out of women, a real hero of the left

i mean you talk and you talk but all i hear is you trying desperately to believe that the law isn't coming

oh it's going to be fun putting you in jail and taking your guns, and you could avoid it just by complying with some basic reasonable laws less stringent than apply to your car, making it even more delightful when we get to put you all in jail. and on some level, you know it, because you're still seethingly angry about every aspect of it, literally the only thing in your life that makes you feel like you can aspire to mediocrity is your guns and you might get them taken away because you've demonstrated you're not responsible enough to handle weapons

• Locked thread