Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
In general, the idea behind defense is that you want to push people out wide because that forces them to do two things. Go further away from the goal and go further away from the majority of their team mates. That translates to less scoring and passing opportunities. Letting people get to the byline and cross or cut in or pick a pass into the box is bad defending, though, so I'd say if you're producing things from it then you should just keep taking whatever he gives and let the opposing fullback keep making the same mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I had a goal and an assist out of maybe 8 clear cut one on one's with him. Two time I successfully passed it back into the midfield, once I hit him with a cross that got a throw and once he pushed it out of bounds. So 6/8ish on ? positive ? outcomes not to get all next Gen stats with it

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Waroduce posted:

why would a defender give someone the outside? Like tactically why would he want do that?

general rule of thumb is the closer they are to the goal, the more you give them the outside. the further away they are, you give them the inside

it all depends on the level of play though. if it's some sunday beer league, i'll let them cross it all day long. they barely make it near the goal and even if it does, the touch is never good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah I think in games at my teams' skill level I could count on one hand how many good crosses were made with a good touch at the other end this season.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am not sure but I think in recent years we have scored a lot of goals from crosses. Many of them weren't pretty, though. Slotting it back to the top of the box seems way more dangerous on paper (and is still what I prefer to do) but our midfielders usually lean back and blast those over the bar.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

iajanus posted:

Yeah I think in games at my teams' skill level I could count on one hand how many good crosses were made with a good touch at the other end this season.

My team scored two goals off of crosses and two off of corner kicks last week. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

My team scored two goals off of crosses and two off of corner kicks last week. :shrug:

God that must be nice. The only time my team scored from a cross this season was when one just drifted into the far corner of the goal and the keeper fell over tracking back to get it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i bought $30 FG tiempos after my last pair of hypervenoms (which were $220 retail or something but i paid $110 at the employee store) and tiempos ($130 retail) lasted about 6-9 months respectively

therefore, i'll be happy if these last >3 months

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Jesus loving hell why do those boots last gently caress all time, my boots usually have life spans of years

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
no idea, i average ~2 games a week during those month

planned obsolescence i guess

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My Neymars broke after about 4 months of playing once a week....but toward the end I used them on turf which was probably a bad idea

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
puma kings and adidas world cups last for years

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
gently caress people who don't sub off when you ask them to

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Geno posted:

even worse are people who just refuse to go off full stop (even when they can barely walk anymore), when we have 4 on the bench and play unlimited subs.

get the gently caress off the field you fat gently caress and let someone who isn't half dead play.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah they're the worst. Sometimes/with some people, somebody needs to be in charge.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bonus points if the person in charge (the captain, lol @ our leagues having a coach) is one of the fat shits who will never go off and just stands around in midfield yelling and wheezing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

Yeah, this is a bit poo poo.

We kicked a guy off our team last year because of it.

I'm very much a squad player on my team. I know I'm going to get my chance to play most of the game against crap teams and that I'll get 15-20 minutes a half against the better teams and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I like playing on a good team and winning stuff(even if it's just over-30 men's league) more than I need to play every second of every match.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

i just scored a cracking airborne volley in fuckin 35 degree heat and im very proud of myself, who else has scored a cool goal lately

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I miss playing football

Stupid summer

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Moved a few months ago and finally got into an indoor league.

First week? Bye. Second week was ok, but we're bad, then another week off for Thanksgiving, and it's finally back this Thursday.

At 11pm.

:owned:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
season review: i played most of the year as the middle in a back three (8 a side), so it was kind of a half center back half holding mid thing. it was awesome.

in our last game i had to play as the striker and I scored three really ugly goals thus bringing my tally for the year to four

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

iajanus posted:

I miss playing football

Stupid summer

play futsal all year round imo

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

play futsal all year round imo

I played in a league a few years back where they used a futsal ball on small turf fields. It was real fun, OP. Never tried on hardcourt, though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I played in a league a few years back where they used a futsal ball on small turf fields. It was real fun, OP. Never tried on hardcourt, though.

that'd be sick. the place i play at has kinda soft running track floors and its a lot kinder on my knees than the previous place i played at, which was literally concrete with green carpet on top

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

i just scored a cracking airborne volley in fuckin 35 degree heat and im very proud of myself, who else has scored a cool goal lately

I scored a thrilling half volley last week that rolled all the way down my shin, off my toe and perfectly into the bottom corner. I thought I had done my knee it was such an impressive near air kick.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

im glad you didnt injure yourself but if you had you would have joined me in injuring your knee while scoring a goal crew

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing saves a bad game quite like the ball coming out of the defense to your feet and just lacing it into the top corner.

:feelsgood:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My team added this dude from Germany recently and the gulf in class is absolutely insane. Not that we're good or anything, but you can see he's barely putting any effort in.

It's an absolute pleasure to play with this dude, he sits in the midfield just pulling strings, he's two-footed, and super un-selfish.

He put a ball on my foot, in-stride, from 25 yards for a goal last night and it was friggin great.

Oh and he said he played a youth match against Thomas Muller once, which is cool and good.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
it vos a pleasure

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Playing indoor last night, took a shot straight to my wrist. Hurt like hell but was able to finish the game and another due to the adrenaline.

Now, it pretty much hurts anytime I move it or use my fingers. Seems a little swollen but it's not obvious and don't see a bruise or anything. Hoping it's just a sprain :a2m:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Outdoor pickup season has finally begun in the Northeast, my local park had one field closed all of last year, so now there's plenty of space on Saturday mornings to play.

We play one-touch goals on small pop-up nets, yet some nerds feel it necessary to sit in the goal like it's loving hockey

Oh well, at least it's not gonna snow again this year.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

Playing indoor last night, took a shot straight to my wrist. Hurt like hell but was able to finish the game and another due to the adrenaline.

Now, it pretty much hurts anytime I move it or use my fingers. Seems a little swollen but it's not obvious and don't see a bruise or anything. Hoping it's just a sprain :a2m:

Yeah, I jammed my wrist in the free kick wall a few weeks ag-:yikes:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TheBigAristotle posted:

Outdoor pickup season has finally begun in the Northeast, my local park had one field closed all of last year, so now there's plenty of space on Saturday mornings to play.

We play one-touch goals on small pop-up nets, yet some nerds feel it necessary to sit in the goal like it's loving hockey

Oh well, at least it's not gonna snow again this year.
See if you can get people to adopt a crease rule. Otherwise it's just too advantageous to have somebody park on the goal line. Until people get used to it you're going to have to yell at people to get out of the crease, though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually got 3 past him, just had to keep passing across him, but I agree. People at this park are pretty amenable to suggestions

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Geno posted:

My wife shattered her wrist doing that in indoor and got to spend a week in hospital getting it all screwed back together again so hopefully it's just a sprain :(

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Huh. I've been operating under the premise that it's pretty drat hard to get hurt in a lasting way by the ball. Obviously the nut shots hurt and cold weather meaty thigh strikes hurt... keepers can hurt their fingers and rattling your skull isn't great obviously. But yeah my main basic thought about injuries is that they're kind of random and almost everything has a low probability chance of happening so I suppose I shouldn't be suprised.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Yeah, just poo poo luck I guess. Ball just probably hit a specific spot in my wrist to mess the nerves up.

It's mostly fine now although pushing off on it still kinda hurts. I can still play though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Geno posted:

general rule of thumb is the closer they are to the goal, the more you give them the outside. the further away they are, you give them the inside

it all depends on the level of play though. if it's some sunday beer league, i'll let them cross it all day long. they barely make it near the goal and even if it does, the touch is never good

We had a work team in the local 7 a side league and one of the guys we ex pro at Blackburn (Friedel, Duff, Hughes era) and used to just ping corners directly across the front of the goal at such speed no matter who touched them inevitably sent the ball goalwards.

Haven’t played for a while, I am an unfit 32 year old fat man with a glass back and shot knees, playing for an hour 5 a side next Wednesday (hopefully all in nets). Wish me luck :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Geno posted:

i bought $30 FG tiempos after my last pair of hypervenoms (which were $220 retail or something but i paid $110 at the employee store) and tiempos ($130 retail) lasted about 6-9 months respectively

therefore, i'll be happy if these last >3 months

boot update: still wearing them after 8-9 months

i'm never buying expensive cleats again