Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Cowboy fan reacts to draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObh3mwDHYE

He does a few of these and they are pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Lane Johnson, the best offensive tackle in the NFL, comes in at #95 on the NFL's top 100 list, right behind Kirk Cousins.

I take it as the NFL's way of letting everyone know right away that the list is complete poo poo and the sooner you start ignoring it, the better.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

New month, new reminder that the Football Eagles of Philadelphia won the Super Bowl.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

very stable genius posted:

New month, new reminder that the Football Eagles of Philadelphia won the Super Bowl.

Also,

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

very stable genius posted:

Never 4get

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

NotWearingPants posted:

Lane Johnson, the best offensive tackle in the NFL, comes in at #95 on the NFL's top 100 list, right behind Kirk Cousins.

I take it as the NFL's way of letting everyone know right away that the list is complete poo poo and the sooner you start ignoring it, the better.

The list is automatically relevant because it's voted on by the players (and only the players, I believe). That gives it an element of a popularity contest but at the same time the respect of your peers is the best kind of respect. I'm not sure why you're upset about this

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

The list is automatically relevant because it's voted on by the players (and only the players, I believe). That gives it an element of a popularity contest but at the same time the respect of your peers is the best kind of respect. I'm not sure why you're upset about this

Not upset, just pointing out that the list is poo poo. If the gimmick is that it's voted on the the players, then I guess the revelation from the poll is that players really don't follow the NFL as much as fans do.

Personally I don't find that very surprising. I never followed football as a fan until I stopped playing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Reminder that Backup QB Nick Foles caught a TD in the Super Bowl and Tom Brady did not and also makes out with his kids.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Christ, what has Jernigan done to himself ?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/992063703024627713

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/992065534291267584

Out till about November now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Workout injury, apparently.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
After the Eagles won Super Bowl 52, the NFC East became the first division to have 4 Super Bowl winning teams in it. But that doesn't tell the whole story

Dallas Cowboys - 8 Appearances(5 wins)

Washington Redskins - 5 Appearances(3 wins)

New York Giants - 5 Appearances(4 wins)

Philadelphia Eagles- 3 Appearances(1 win)

That totals at 21 combined Super Bowl appearances and 13 Super Bowl Wins.

An NFC East team has played in 40% of the SB's, and won 25% of them.

The closest division is the AFC East with 20 appearances but only 8 wins

Take a Super Bowl at random. There's a 40% chance a current NFC East team played in it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/993652978782539776?s=20

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Is Timmy's grill ok?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Eagles writer graded the other NFC East drafts if you are interested in an impartial, or adversarial, opinion:

Cowboys, B+ http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2018-draft-grades-cowboys-edition/
Redskins, B+ http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2018-draft-grades-redskins-edition/
Giants, C http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2018-draft-grades-giants-edition/

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Not quite the impartial grade on the Giants there.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/994595055091503104

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

lmao the cowboys

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DaStampede posted:

How so? He gave the other two NFC East teams B+ grades, and explained his reasoning for not appraising the Giant's draft highly. You may disagree with him, but I'm not seeing any cause to claim bias.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DaStampede posted:

I'm predicting that the low grade is because the commentator thinks they should've taken a quarterback.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What do the 7 and 2 and 3 represent?

Those are QB numbers, so it not that

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

I'm predicting that the low grade is because the commentator thinks they should've taken a quarterback.

Exactly:

quote:

Barkley is obviously a great player, and he could pay immediate dividends for a bad Giants offense. He has it all. He's fast, strong, he can catch, run inside, run outside, pass protect, and by all accounts he's a good kid.

But, as we noted after the first round of the draft, it's just an atrocious use of resources to take a running back with the No. 2 overall pick, for a lot of reasons, most notably that they have extraordinarily short shelf lives in the NFL.

Ultimately for me, however, this draft was all about the No. 2 overall pick. The Giants weren't "in love" with any of the five quarterbacks who were taken in the first round of this draft. Do they all have their various warts and/or concerns? Sure, but so did every other quarterback not named Andrew Luck who was drafted in the first round over the last two decades.

I say this all the time, but in the NFL, you either have a quarterback, or you don't, and if you don't you have no chance. The Giants seemingly believe they can win now, with a 37-year old Eli Manning and a Swiss cheese offensive line. That's delusional.

In the end, I simply can't get past the notion that there's a general manager employed by an NFL team who thinks that positional value is "a crock."

Also, he didn't like their QB pick in the 4th round.

quote:

Lauletta is about what you would expect of a fourth round pick. He has some nice traits (accuracy, smarts, leadership qualities), but is hampered by the lack of arm strength. In the NFL, he's going to have to rely on pin-point accuracy and timing, which is not easy. In some ways, he reminds me a bit of Matt Barkley coming out of college.

Personally, this is not my cup of tea in a developmental quarterback, because what's there to develop? He already has the smarts and good mechanics, while his arm strength is not going to get substantially better

He also pointed out that taking a shot on a mid round QB might not have been the best move for a team riddled with holes that only had 6 draft picks.

And in the end, it's not like he gave them an "F". He gave them a "C".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What do the 7 and 2 and 3 represent?

Those are QB numbers, so it not that

The All-22 film of this play shows a play action crashing to the left which is under from the defensive side. I believe he's referring to the gap assignments then as he's saying that the 2 isn't going under meaning that the center/guard occupying the 2 hole isn't crashing left also. He doesn't know who to cover between picking up the blocker in the 2 gap and picking up the tight end flashing out. Tight ends usually occupy the 7 hole on the line. The play is essentially asking Sean Lee to cover the run down the middle in case the center/guard picks up a block if the RB cuts back. He can't cover the tight end going out to the side because he's also the containment in the 3 hole. Pretty much no one had the TE covered off the line of scrimmage which is important on goal line situations.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

NotWearingPants posted:

Exactly:

Also, he didn't like their QB pick in the 4th round.

He also pointed out that taking a shot on a mid round QB might not have been the best move for a team riddled with holes that only had 6 draft picks.

The Giants addressed some of those needs, and why not try to win right now while they still have Eli? At OL they drafted Hernandez and picked up Solder and Omameh. Bringing in the best player of the draft to run the ball behind an improved OL instantly takes pressure off ELI. Then they added much needed depth at defense for the 3-4. I like the pick of Lauletta who can study under Pat Shurmur. Not every first round QB pans out, and I am happy they chose to become stronger at multiple positions with their first 4 picks.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I guess it depends on your opinion of the Giants' prospects in the immediate future. Some might think that the Giants just had a down year after an 11-5 season. While others, like myself and the author of that article, consider the Giants to be a poo poo tier team with a washed-up QB whose 3-13 record this past season is a more accurate indicator of the state of the franchise.

Getting a top 2 pick is extremely rare, at least for the Giants and the other teams in the NFC East. The last time the Giants had one it was 1981 and they picked Lawrence Taylor. To spend it on a RB, a position at which players have notoriously short NFL careers and top players are frequently drafted in the mid rounds, is a poor use of resources.

Barkley may turn out to be a great player. He may even be good enough to keep the Giants out of the top ten in the draft for the next few years where they might have found a QB to replace Manning. But he isn't going to be good enough to carry the Giants to playoff victories.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 14, 2018

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bearing in mind, the Giants lost pretty much ALL of the WR last year to horrific injuries.

They upgraded their RB situation which many considered to be their weak point.

Eli is still a serviceable QB. And their D is not terrible, its not great either, but they have decent players on it.

Also obligatory NFC:E clownball so gently caress knows

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

I can't wait to see this offense with a not poo poo OL, good RB, and their starting 4 WR's not in the ICU.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also to note that the Giants were really close to beating the Eagles twice had it not been for a couple of dodgy called back TD's in the first game and our D/Nick Foles stopping them in the 2nd game. They really were not as bad as their record suggested.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

I'm excited about our chances next year, like most people are about their team this time of year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Just came across this and had to share, cause it made me chortle.

quote:

Ben McAdoo is the kind of guy who nudges his teenaged son whenever a pretty girl walks by at the mall.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I still lol when I think about how he broke Eli's streak for absolutely nothing. That was the coaching equivalent of Mike Singletary pantsing himself in front of the locker room.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

They showed Eli smirking on the sideline during that game. I would like to image he was thinking, "Everyone but me is getting fired for this" ...and they did.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I maintain that benching Eli was made with the full acknowledgement of the front office as part of a strategy to tank, and only after they saw how bad public outcry over it was did they decide just to throw McAdoo under the bus and walk it back.

Also the Giants underperformed their record by about 1 win last year. They're likely to bounce back next season, but I think the ceiling is probably more like 8-9 wins than 10-12

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If you bench Eli for a rookie or something to see what he has, OK I guess

Not Geno loving Smith

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Geno Smith ended up with a better QB rating than Eli Manning last season ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I'm not a mathematician, but I think his W/L record of NaN is probably better than Manning's .25

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you bench Eli for a rookie or something to see what he has, OK I guess

Not Geno loving Smith

Putting Geno in over Webb was terrible.

Also, McAdoo had the bus run over him several times, but he put himself in that position ling before that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CyberPingu posted:

Eli is still a serviceable QB.

I hope they keep Eli for ten more years. love that guy

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DaStampede posted:

Also, McAdoo had the bus run over him several times, but he put himself in that position ling before that.

In retrospect, I wish McAdoo had won a Super Bowl so Giants fans would have gotten his haircut in tribute.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

NotWearingPants posted:

In retrospect, I wish McAdoo had won a Super Bowl so Giants fans would have gotten his haircut in tribute.

Never hire anybody with a haircut like that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

He has the haircut Gordon Bombay gets in D2: The Mighty Ducks when he becomes Coach Blood.

How in the hell did McAdoo think that was a good look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Geno honestly isn't terrible, but that was all McAdoo. He's been in bad situations and I think he's fine as a backup.

I think the Giants last year had 8 win talent, remove 4 solely due to McAdoo being an idiot, and the rest were injuries/bad luck. The OL is going to be a lot better, it may be enough with their schedule, but I see them as roughly middle of the pack with potential if things go their way, just like a lot of teams. Eli is really the same QB he was 10 years ago for better or worse and hasn't shown context free signs of decline.

• Locked thread