Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The guys who made their livelihoods abusing immigrants getting exactly what they voted for is the reason I come to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im the small business tyrant in then comments who's upset at having to acutally participate in the free market

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hell yeah

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

he can afford to pay 18 grand extra on hiring 20 guest workers for a few months but not raising wages :thunk:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe i need to increase my workers wages, accepting that i may possibly need to change my pricing or reduce the amount of money i personally get

No! It must be the worker's fault!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao if your paying 25 an hour for a job that doesnt need a high school diploma in the south east and that poo poo aint getting filled in 2 weeks then your not advertising it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

california central valley: last year

aaaaaaaaaaaand then this year:

Trump is making California agriculture nervous because of his roundups of undocumented immigrants and newly imposed tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. There's concern about retaliation by foreign countries against California farm products.

Trump was down on the U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego on Tuesday ogling huge prototypes of a $25-billion wall designed to keep out immigrants. But in California, farmers are trying to get more of these workers into the country and keep them here.

Ironically, Trump's immigration and tariff policies are creating jitters especially in the California farm belt, which gave the Republican his strongest support in this blue state that voted lopsidedly for Democrat Hillary Clinton. Ten Central Valley agriculture counties sided with Trump over Clinton.

"They're culturally Republican, more conservative," veteran GOP consultant Rob Stutzman says of farm belt voters. "They view the ruling and elite classes in coastal cities differently than they see themselves. It's a different, harder life in the valley."

i like how they conflate "farmers" with "farm owners" and not "the immigrants performing this work"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How many times did trump read them the snake and they still don't get it? This is starting to feel like the inside of a preachy fairytale for kids with a very obvious moral.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

The guys who made their livelihoods abusing immigrants getting exactly what they voted for is the reason I come to this thread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We're about to see a big wave of business owners who would rather go out of business than pay workers even a penny more

$25 an hour my rear end lmao

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

How many times did trump read them the snake and they still don't get it? This is starting to feel like the inside of a preachy fairytale for kids with a very obvious moral.

Nah, they all get it. They wanted that win, and thought the consequences would never come. The good news is if they lose their business the farm next door has plenty of day labor openings for them to stay employed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol murder-suiciding my family and myself after voting for Trump because my livelihood has been destroyed to own the libs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they'll still find a way to blame it on obama by the 2020 elections

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

We're about to see a big wave of business owners who would rather go out of business than pay workers even a penny more

lol

quote:

So for years he has hired 20 seasonal workers, mostly from Guatemala, through the U.S. Labor Department’s H2-B “guest worker” program. Importing these workers for a few months cost him an additional $18,000 in fees and expenses beyond their wages, which must be the same as he pays American workers. But that’s the only way he could serve his customers.

quote:

Devine says he lost a $100,000 account because he didn’t have enough men to do the job. He’s worried he may be out of business next year if things don’t improve.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

God I hope so :pray:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Agean90 posted:

lmao if your paying 25 an hour for a job that doesnt need a high school diploma in the south east and that poo poo aint getting filled in 2 weeks then your not advertising it.
25 is an exaggeration but it's true, they cant retain americans to do these jobs

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Relin posted:

25 is an exaggeration but it's true, they cant retain americans to do these jobs

then they probably shouldn't have voted for the isolationist xenophobe who got elected by promising to cleanse non-whites from the land

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"Five years ago, Klein had a crew of 100 workers pruning, tying and suckering his grapevines. Wineries paid $700 for a ton of grapes, and Klein could make a solid profit paying $8 an hour, the minimum wage.

Last year he could barely get together 45 laborers, and his grapes sold for only $350 per ton. Klein knew his vines were done for when California passed laws raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2023 and requiring overtime for field laborers."

Haha, I hope you lose everything.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

"Five years ago, Klein had a crew of 100 workers pruning, tying and suckering his grapevines. Wineries paid $700 for a ton of grapes, and Klein could make a solid profit paying $8 an hour, the minimum wage.

Last year he could barely get together 45 laborers, and his grapes sold for only $350 per ton. Klein knew his vines were done for when California passed laws raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2023 and requiring overtime for field laborers."

Haha, I hope you lose everything.

lol, $8 an hour to destroy your body utterly, crazy to think

Maybe the enemy here is the loving wineries and not the brown people who earn you all your money my man

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

lol, $8 an hour to destroy your body utterly, crazy to think

Maybe the enemy here is the loving wineries and not the brown people who earn you all your money my man

All he produces now is whine.

If only I could exploit my workers...

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

tbh boomers letting their businesses die because they refuse to reduce their jet ski budget it pretty par for the course

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

its almost as funny as when they realize their half a million dollar mcmansions 60 miles away from the city (and the black people in them) don't have any fuckin value if nobody wants to buy them

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Relin posted:

if no one is willing to work for you, raise your wages. if you cant afford that then go out of business. :capitalism:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if no one is willing to work for you, raise your wages. if you cant afford that then go out of business. :capitalism:

clearly the market has spoken

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

california central valley: last year

aaaaaaaaaaaand then this year:

Trump is making California agriculture nervous because of his roundups of undocumented immigrants and newly imposed tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. There's concern about retaliation by foreign countries against California farm products.

Trump was down on the U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego on Tuesday ogling huge prototypes of a $25-billion wall designed to keep out immigrants. But in California, farmers are trying to get more of these workers into the country and keep them here.

Ironically, Trump's immigration and tariff policies are creating jitters especially in the California farm belt, which gave the Republican his strongest support in this blue state that voted lopsidedly for Democrat Hillary Clinton. Ten Central Valley agriculture counties sided with Trump over Clinton.

"They're culturally Republican, more conservative," veteran GOP consultant Rob Stutzman says of farm belt voters. "They view the ruling and elite classes in coastal cities differently than they see themselves. It's a different, harder life in the valley."

i like how they conflate "farmers" with "farm owners" and not "the immigrants performing this work"

I mean, I know I eat a ton of the food that they produce, but Central Valley farmers can also eat my entire rear end.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
maybe dont grow on land that wasnt meant to be irrigated so insanely imho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tbf it’s some of the best farmland on the planet

and it’s not like farms elsewhere in the US are somehow better to their workers, esp with california labor law

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
it's not like this was predictable :rolleyes:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they'll still find a way to blame it on obama by the 2020 elections

they were forced to follow up the first black president with the stupidest laziest most corrupt white president possible (to own the libs)

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

lol that owns

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
what the hell i can't run a business if i'm expected to follow labor laws

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
found on r/PrayersToTrump

https://twitter.com/MartoniSteven/status/984592195905818624

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They literally think he's a savior don't they

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Heath posted:

They literally think he's a savior don't they

Conservatism is less of a political ideology and more of a cult, hope this helps

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Trazz posted:

Conservatism is less of a political ideology and more of a cult, hope this helps

evangelicals mixed with Christian conservatives is the scariest loving cult ever

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agean90 posted:

like half of my early 20s friends would loving jump at the chance to do back breaking work for 25 an hour, no joke

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

these people want guest workers because they have absolute power over them and can get them deported at any point. hire american workers with actual labor rights they might end up demanding better conditions and pay.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Like how hard are these farm jobs? I helped on the family farm a bit as a kid and I've worked as a stage builder in concert venues which was poo poo work, but this american farm stuff seems to be uniquely lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

:thunk: