Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

kingcom posted:

Real talk, it's a real good sign of people who have bad opinions about battletech if they say anything clan invasion/anything post clan invasion is bad. Jihad and Dark Age era is easily the most fun to play table top wise. The Clan tech isn't the be all and end all, everyone has a tonne of unique and distinctive mechs and equipment that makes them shine and fill a tonne of niches that clan tech simply can't. The clans just turn into a style of play where you load up with fast glass cannons and hope you can deliver enough right hooks because you get drowned by TSM super fast assaults, C3 network snipers, Plasma rifles destroying your normally good heat curve or the hilariously over gunned 5/8 medium and heavy mech swarms that the Inner Sphere can deploy against you.

This guy knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm the rear end in a top hat who really likes the Jihad sourcebooks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it just me or is the Grasshopper flat out better than the Banshee even though there's a 25 ton difference?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it just me or is the Grasshopper flat out better than the Banshee even though there's a 25 ton difference?

Banshee with a tonne of small lasers and some jump jets are pretty solid and solve the grasshopper's role for more melee damage on top.

But yeah Banshees are notoriously poo poo assault mechs and are essentially the Steiner equivalent of the Charger in tabletop. It's the downside of having huge engines in your assaults before XL engines get invented.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm stuck at work all night but I just can't wait to get home and play some more stompy robbits. I love this game!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Banshees sell for a lot more than they're actually worth, but yeah they're no Grasshopper.

Lord Koth posted:

The problems with Dark Age generally boil down to the mind-numbingly stupid fluff (even for Battletech) - especially when it was initially introduced in order to push through the Clickytech switch. Some of the new tech is infuriating and/or not well-balanced too, but I never got the impression that's why most people despised DA.

Oh, and the incredibly dumb tripod mechs and Superheavies - especially when combined.

There's a lot of stuff I like about Dark Age tech but tripods aren't one of them, no

kingcom posted:

Real talk, it's a real good sign of people who have bad opinions about battletech if they say anything clan invasion/anything post clan invasion is bad. Jihad and Dark Age era is easily the most fun to play table top wise. The Clan tech isn't the be all and end all, everyone has a tonne of unique and distinctive mechs and equipment that makes them shine and fill a tonne of niches that clan tech simply can't. The clans just turn into a style of play where you load up with fast glass cannons and hope you can deliver enough right hooks because you get drowned by TSM super fast assaults, C3 network snipers, Plasma rifles destroying your normally good heat curve or the hilariously over gunned 5/8 medium and heavy mech swarms that the Inner Sphere can deploy against you.

:yeah:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Argas posted:

Now I'm imagining a tiny Victor piloting a Grasshopper.

that would be pretty awesome. It was my bad choice to bring Medusa back out of cover to secure a kill, forgot to brace him with the skill, and then he got owned. I'm not gonna savescum my own bad choices, I'll just replace him with a ronin I just picked up. Apex is back on the squad :allears:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dark Age tech is cool. Dark Age fluff is horrible.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool and good if tanks would stop rolling in and head shotting my mechs constantly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

comatose posted:

It would be cool and good if tanks would stop rolling in and head shotting my mechs constantly.

This is probably the only joy left in those tank crews' lives tbh

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm the rear end in a top hat who really likes the Jihad sourcebooks.

A lot of them were excellent, especially the later ones.

I think the Jihad is my favorite era. Bunch of unique tech, good (BV) balance, and it was before every CJF mech had wings because they're the bird faction get it

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

This is probably the only joy left in those tank crews' lives tbh

Dumping an AC/20 round through the cockpit of some hotshot mech jock who stole your girlfriend is basically the only reason to get up in the morning for a treadhead.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Who would've thought the universe can be pretty fun when it isn't limited to the Stackpole self-insert and superfriends turbofucking an antagonist that can't think and breathe at the same time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how scared the Taurians were of the insanely powerful Star League mechs that missed almost every shot with their Star League weapons. :v:

I snagged me a Battlemaster out of the mission anyway though so I guess I'm good for a while.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SpaceDrake posted:

Also this is from like a week and a half ago, but it's been on my mind:

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the term Tactical Dad and I'm probably going to incorporate it into my own personal lingo, so thanks for that.

(A lot of guys like that make me kind of sad, though, because I know a lot of them got hosed up by their time in the service in the 00s especially. :( )

I feel like a fair amount are the type who have a lot of miniatures of soldiers but were too young for Vietnam/old for Iraq.

but also, I don't know their lives beyond stompy robots, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how scared the Taurians were of the insanely powerful Star League mechs that missed almost every shot with their Star League weapons. :v:

I snagged me a Battlemaster out of the mission anyway though so I guess I'm good for a while.

I was all excited about the possibility of getting an assault mech and then I kept on coring them. :(

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
First assault I ran into on my second playthrough was a stalker on a lake with a structure in the middle of it. I killed off everyone else then took out both sides of his torso. I waited about 15 turns trying to build up morale to do more called shots to take out just a leg and he stood there the whole time doing nothing because he could not reach anyone to melee.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my own adventures in dll decompiler spelunking, for the curious: tbh i didn't see much that leapt out as me as to be obviously egregious. The architecture is maybe a little on the, for lack of better word, messy side? Like it doesn't give the impression that stuff is encapsulated, like there's stuff for a logger code that's thrown around in various areas so I'd worry on the sense of keeping things consistent regarding some behaviors without resorting to having to dig around finding everything that deals with it; if that sort of issue held true for multiple other systems it might result in optimization / bug fixing to be a pain but otoh its an unfamiliar code base and I'm not an expert so yeah. I didn't see any profligate use of strings aside from the logger functions which presumably are off most of the time. The json files are full of strings but thats just serialized data and isn't anything scary / special afaik

like really, it all seemed mostly boiler plate? i can only say vague bullshit things like "its a little annoying following the thread", "holy poo poo they have a lot of fields for their ability class and most of them are real edge case things (which implies a whole ton of mostly pointless if/then logic statements scatted loving everywhere)", and "could probably stand to shuffle some functionality into components", but nothing as incendiary / fun like "evaluates true / false via a string compared to another string via converting them to an array of chars, six thousand times a frame" or something. maybe the other goon that looked at stuff can clarify what they saw that was troublesome. im just a hack so take it all with the lump of salt ofc

e: there is deffo something evil lurking in this game, but my "i looked at this for an afternoon" analysis would be that its not some obvious wickedness as opposed to some grand code Moloch, where the horror and maleficence only becomes evident as you understand what system of blasphemy all the inoffensive gears have amounted to

e2: a mech with 1 loving CT hp left punched behemoth in the face and killed her so this is my revenge on this game

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 11, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Eej posted:

If you told me this was drawn in 2006 I absolutely would not have believed you

Is this from the Big-Boys Robut Colorin' Book for Grown Up Robot Jox?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Looking at it I'm surprised they actually drew the Quickdraw's rear-facing lasers.

Yeah for reference the TT version of the Quickdraw is even worse than the videogame version because half of its lasers are mounted on the rear arc.

Likewise the Atlas but its a bit less an egregiously large part of its firepower and having buttlasers can be useful when turning around is going to take up most of your movement.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A handful seemed alright, along the lines of ex-nobles slumming it around the periphery mercing. The rest of them though, wow.

One thing I noticed is the sheer amount of them who cut their teeth on Solaris VII. At least there aren't that many former Grand Champions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this from the Big-Boys Robut Colorin' Book for Grown Up Robot Jox?

Heck I don't even know why the Wolfhound's arm is blowing up in that picture

Or why the AC20 alignment is so off on that Hunchback

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Is there any reason to take reputation rewards when negotiating? The game doesn't do a great job of explaining the benefits of it when choosing more money or salvage gives obvious rewards.

Also, I went from having only a Dragon as my only heavy to picking up a Grasshopper and a Highlander from a story mission. So now I have those 3 and a support Treb with an LRM20.

The Highlander looks pretty well set up when you get him, does anybody fit him any differently?

Edit: Also, this game is making me want to go back and play MW:O, but I just know that would lead to sadness.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I took out the SRMs, put in an LRM5+++, took out two DHS and armoured the gently caress up cause I don't want to lose any of that SLDF tech.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
You get a few benefits from rep, the biggest one is the ability to take higher difficulty level contracts for that faction but you also get better prices in stores run by that faction and bigger c-bill payouts from their contracts. However, there's no real need to specifically choose rep over C-bills or salvage in the game as is.

The Highlander is a beast out of the box but one thing you might want to do is take a few of its double heat sinks out and give them to another mech in need. The highlander runs super cool so swapping out 3-4 doubles for singles can help another mech perform without hurting the Highlander much at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I finished the story mission in the Martian Biome where you beat up Victoria and now it's made the normal missions rock hard! I wish I'd waited for 4 heavies.

The first one I did after the story mission had an Atlas, two Jaegermechs, a Catapult, a Thunder...thing and two Orions. I very very nearly did it with my 2 Orion, Thunderthing and Griffon lance but it wasn't to be and someone blew up. Thankfully when I reloaded it changed the Atlas/Jaeger lance into two Demolishers instead.
And the Catapult was suddenly a grasshopper who I punched the head off. I lost a M Laser +++ and a PPC++ in the process which is a shame.

Such a huge difference, I wish it wasn't quite so swingy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dravs posted:

Is there any reason to take reputation rewards when negotiating? The game doesn't do a great job of explaining the benefits of it when choosing more money or salvage gives obvious rewards.

If you're playing the game like I played it (IE: Story mission, couple of mercenary contracts, next story mission, stop playing once story complete) then no. I didn't see any real advantages to increasing my reputation with a faction.

Might be different if you're just doing randomly-generated mercenary missions.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Locust is a piece of poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Locust is a piece of poo poo.

I never used mine

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Locust and Spider you start with serve mostly as Sensor Lock fodder until you get a fourth medium or a proper combat light, like the Jenner or Fire Starter.

However, Locusts can be pretty good on the AI side, when you're getting swarmed by an entire company of the little fuckers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oh a patch thats good

*installs*

*game no longer starts*

Oh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Were you using any mods?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Were you using any mods?

Nope, vanilla install on Steam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Taear posted:

I finished the story mission in the Martian Biome where you beat up Victoria and now it's made the normal missions rock hard! I wish I'd waited for 4 heavies.

The first one I did after the story mission had an Atlas, two Jaegermechs, a Catapult, a Thunder...thing and two Orions. I very very nearly did it with my 2 Orion, Thunderthing and Griffon lance but it wasn't to be and someone blew up. Thankfully when I reloaded it changed the Atlas/Jaeger lance into two Demolishers instead.
And the Catapult was suddenly a grasshopper who I punched the head off. I lost a M Laser +++ and a PPC++ in the process which is a shame.

Such a huge difference, I wish it wasn't quite so swingy.

This mod eliminates the arbitrary difficulty increases from story missions. It doesn't update until you pass a milestone though, such as beating another story mission.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Aramoro posted:

Oh a patch thats good

*installs*

*game no longer starts*

Oh

Restart your computer. It does something dumb when creating the graphics context sometimes and you have to reset the driver.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This mod eliminates the arbitrary difficulty increases from story missions. It doesn't update until you pass a milestone though, such as beating another story mission.

Thank you but it's not so much about the increase after the story mission - although this is a bit jarring - more about how swingy exactly the same mission can be depending on what enemies the AI decides to pick.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Taear posted:

Thank you but it's not so much about the increase after the story mission - although this is a bit jarring - more about how swingy exactly the same mission can be depending on what enemies the AI decides to pick.

I think the design intent there is that, as sellswords and not soldiers, sometimes the right answer is supposed to be "gently caress it, not worth the money" once you see what you are up against.

The general difficulty in the story period doesn't quite prime you for that though, despite them making a point of explaining the withdrawal rules early on. Also, I think the idea is fine, but from a gameplay loop and "respecting my time" perspective fitting out a Lance and loading up a mission just to decide to bail on it isn't much fun. I'd almost rather they have a secondary "mission kicker" where it turns out that what you thought you were dropping into was an ambush or something -- give you a new explicit positive goal to try and achieve rather than just "fail to achieve your objective in the best way possible".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's a good build for a Catapult?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

What's a good build for a Catapult?
I run 2x LRM20s (3t of ammo), 2 Medium Lasers and some JumpJets on mine. Seems to work fine. You could probably bin the MLs for more JJs or vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1 more catapult part and I can have a Highlander, Battlemaster, Orion variant (think I like it more than the original), and my lurm boat back. :getin: