Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Esplanade posted:

Saturn Devouring his Grape

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This was the finish to the match, just so everyone's aware. They kicked each other in the dick and then writhed around on the mat in agony as they were counted out.

The contest performance was for the WWE Championship.

Are you trying to say it wasn't how the finish was staged?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This was the finish to the match, just so everyone's aware. They kicked each other in the dick and then writhed around on the mat in agony as they were counted out.

The contest was for the WWE Championship.

Is there usually this much societal metaphor in wrestling?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Is there usually this much societal metaphor in wrestling?

The current top guy in World Wrestling Entertainment is called Roman Reigns. Every time he makes an appearance, there is an absolute shitstorm of people booing despite WWE trying to portray him as a good guy. His on-screen persona is entirely artificial, and he communicates almost entirely through childish and repetitive stock phrases. He's portrayed as some kind of man of the people despite being a multi-millionaire who lives in luxury. The WWE persist in giving him all the best main event opportunities despite his unpopularity, which just makes all his fake accolades seem even more artificial and unearned.

That's probably the most prominent thing happening in wrestling right now. Draw your own conclusions.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tunahead posted:

The current top guy in World Wrestling Entertainment is called Roman Reigns. Every time he makes an appearance, there is an absolute shitstorm of people booing despite WWE trying to portray him as a good guy. His on-screen persona is entirely artificial, and he communicates almost entirely through childish and repetitive stock phrases. He's portrayed as some kind of man of the people despite being a multi-millionaire who lives in luxury. The WWE persist in giving him all the best main event opportunities despite his unpopularity, which just makes all his fake accolades seem even more artificial and unearned.

That's probably the most prominent thing happening in wrestling right now. Draw your own conclusions.

Haha, holy poo poo, that's delightful commentary on current politics in the US. Who knew there was such artistry in it....

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tunahead posted:

You forgot to mention his persecution complex, as he has spent the last few months losing big matches clean while scapegoating management as the reason for his losses.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

DandyLion posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, that's delightful commentary on current politics in the US. Who knew there was such artistry in it....

If you ever want to get a snapshot of a particular American era - to get a sense of the concerns, attitudes, obsessions and fears of an entire nation - you need do little more than look into what was going on in professional wrestling at that time. I am one hundred percent serious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
HHH in the attitude era represents America on the global stage.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Wasabi the J posted:

Quick reminder that HHH, in the leadup to a Wrestlemania match with Booker T (a black man), taunted his opponent with the declaration that "people like you" didn't get to be world champion. He won said match easily.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Hubert Humphrey lost a lot of good will for his stance on Vietnam.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I'm so glad we've moved beyond the cursed age of Doink the Clown economic policy.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Grem posted:

What are those I want one.

I think they're thneeds.....a fine something that everyone needs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tunahead posted:

When I stopped watching wrestling, they were doing this exact thing with John Cena.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

When I stopped watching wrestling, they were doing this exact thing with John Cena Hulk Hogan.

FTFY

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jamesman posted:

When I stopped watching wrestling, they were doing this exact thing with John Cena.

Now imagine Cena without mic skills.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kennel posted:

Now imagine Cena without mic skills.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tunahead posted:

Incredible, what did Macho Man represent?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2XzGvAn.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

s.i.r.e. posted:

The excess of the eighties; pushing aside the silent professionalism of the previous administrations; a cartoonish characature of masculinity (Reagan) leading our country to believe flawed concepts about the flow of wealth ("the cream will rise to the top"/trickle down economics); all the while keeping power consolidated to the elite few of their own choosing, undermining the very structure of the organization.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Wasabi the J posted:

The excess of the eighties; pushing aside the silent professionalism of the previous administrations; a cartoonish characature of masculinity (Reagan) leading our country to believe flawed concepts about the flow of wealth ("the cream will rise to the top"/trickle down economics); all the while keeping power consolidated to the elite few of their own choosing, undermining the very structure of the organization.

I would say all of that better applies to Hogan then Savage. Especially with Hogan quashing Ventura's push for a union and the people that Hogan has surrounded himself with ( Nasty Boys, Beefcake, etc).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Man forgets he's in VR:

The best part is the robot avatar of his opponent doubling over in laughter. Or the sounds of confusion he makes on his way down.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

s.i.r.e. posted:

A shitload of cocaine.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is making GBS threads a load of cocaine still the preferred trafficking method such that a shitload remains a standard measurement of cocaine?

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009

Caufman posted:

Is making GBS threads a load of cocaine still the preferred trafficking method such that a shitload remains a standard measurement of cocaine?

That is always how I order it :confused:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trabant posted:

Man forgets he's in VR:

Samuringa posted:

How come they fall in the exact same position

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
They fall down like drunk toddlers, or people in their late 90s. I know it's cruel of me, but they fill me with a revulsion, the way they mock billions of years of glorious evolution.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pudding Space posted:

They fall down like drunk toddlers, or people in their late 90s. I know it's cruel of me, but they fill me with a revulsion, the way they mock billions of years of glorious evolution.

Yo what the gently caress

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ghostpilot posted:

I would say all of that better applies to Hogan then Savage. Especially with Hogan quashing Ventura's push for a union and the people that Hogan has surrounded himself with ( Nasty Boys, Beefcake, etc).

Man I wasn't even cognizant at that age, so I'm going off what I heard, but wasn't Savage doing the same poo poo with his crew passing the belt around?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Glagha posted:

Yo what the gently caress

Pro tier avatar / av-text / quote combooo

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Wasabi the J posted:

Man I wasn't even cognizant at that age, so I'm going off what I heard, but wasn't Savage doing the same poo poo with his crew passing the belt around?

Nah. Replace "Savage" with "Hogan" and you're on the money. Savage even had a rap album (really) where he called Hogan out on stuff like that. He didn't like Hogan, but realized that there was money in working with him.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Pudding Space posted:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/RN5ypmI.gifv

here's a link to the bigger webm
https://gfycat.com/UniformAdmiredHydra

DryGoods has a new favorite as of 18:49 on May 11, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Now where's the gif of some pasty dude dropkicking it

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

The robot is running after them.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Torquemadras posted:

was waiting for it to get shot in the back and dragged back to the house it was running away from.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Torquemadras posted:

They need to bring in hockey stick guy to deal with this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/XrM3YnP.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Worth the wait