Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, unless they have a patent on Free-Flow combat, Warner Bros. doesn't own anything, since you can't copyright game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man PS4 is also looking to be free flow-y.

The last multi-plat Spider-Man game or two also had that system. Spider-Sense makes more sense for the prompts than ??? though.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, unless they have a patent on Free-Flow combat, Warner Bros. doesn't own anything, since you can't copyright game mechanics.

That’s not entirely true. Namco owned the right to have mini games during loading screens for a long time, which is why ridge racer let you play Galaxian during loading in the early ps1 days but no one else could do that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

good day for a bris posted:

That’s not entirely true. Namco owned the right to have mini games during loading screens for a long time, which is why ridge racer let you play Galaxian during loading in the early ps1 days but no one else could do that
No, it is true. It's why companies can legally make wholesale themed copies of Monopoly as long as they call them Farmopoly or whatever. What you are describing is not a mechanic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I remembered there was a cancelled Superman game for the PS3 which had him fighting Doomsday through a building.

When I put in Cancelled Superman Game on YouTube, I got dozens of search results. There are a lot of cancelled superhero games.
(Including one people were talking about here for Daredevil.)

I think one due on YouTube has a series about cancelled games. I remember watching his one about the Flash game which had an interesting idea for combat to assign a button to each enemy on the screen.

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man PS4 is also looking to be free flow-y.

With the air juggling and web moves I think it's going to feel mostly like Spider-Man 2.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No, it is true. It's why companies can legally make wholesale themed copies of Monopoly as long as they call them Farmopoly or whatever. What you are describing is not a mechanic.

I stand corrected. Now the real questions is "has this lapsed?" and if so why wasn't I playing Crash Bandicoot while Uncharted 4 loaded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I stand corrected. Now the real questions is "has this lapsed?" and if so why wasn't I playing Crash Bandicoot while Uncharted 4 loaded.

It did as of 2015! Uncharted 4 was probably too far into development and also Crash Bandicoot is bad.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It did as of 2015! Uncharted 4 was probably too far into development and also Crash Bandicoot is bad.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires

I'll forgive your Crash Bandicoot trash talking if somehow the new Spider-Man game lets me play Maximum Carnage between levels (it won't, and I blame you).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was a patent on loading an auxiliary game while loading the main game, not a copyright.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If your loading screens require a mini-game your loading screens are too long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'll forgive your Crash Bandicoot trash talking if somehow the new Spider-Man game lets me play Maximum Carnage between levels (it won't, and I blame you).

I think the new gimmick is hiding loading screens behind animations, like why you have to struggle to crawl through a tunnel in Tomb Raider every so often.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I mean, they could still do it. The licensed PS3/360 game for the first MCU Captain America movie is basically Cap in Arkham minus gargoyles.

Supposedly both Chris Evans and the Russos were fans of that Cap game and based some of his fighting moves in Winter Soldier off of it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

I think the new gimmick is hiding loading screens behind animations, like why you have to struggle to crawl through a tunnel in Tomb Raider every so often.

Nothing new there, there's a reason Symphony of the Night had so many corridors. :)

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

Medullah posted:

Nothing new there, there's a reason Symphony of the Night had so many corridors. :)

Corridors with empty rooms and a CD logo carved into the marble.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Corridors with empty rooms and a CD logo carved into the marble.

holy poo poo you're right :stare:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

that would make it a day 1 buy for me. my favorite part of maximum carnage is i didnt know how to use the morbius summon so i thought it was just a way to creep everyone out by having a pale dude slowly float across the screen while everyone watched

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Why did they follow Captain America and Iron Man movies with video games then just kinda stopped? Give me a GotG Final Fantasy knock off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they do own the name.

Grem posted:

Why did they follow Captain America and Iron Man movies with video games then just kinda stopped? Give me a GotG Final Fantasy knock off.

Because the Cap game sold pretty poorly and the Iron Man game was so lovely Disney felt it damaged the brand. They did make that boring Lego Avengers game that follows the plot of the movies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Video game development is too expensive now for movie tie-ins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Video game development is too expensive now for movie tie-ins.

That too. The budget is either gonna be so huge you need an unlikely amount of sales, or you need to make it a cheap budget title, which just kinda looks bad and isn't guaranteed to sell very well either.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How did the Telltale Guardians game go? Have those games died off now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

The format relies on strong writing and Telltale keeps alienating all their creative talent so I can't imagine the model will remain sustainable for much longer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It still makes me laugh to this day that a barely remembered film cash-in game had a voice cast consisting of Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe and Tom Wilkinson.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

It still makes me laugh to this day that a barely remembered film cash-in game had a voice cast consisting of Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe and Tom Wilkinson.

I think the money it cost the publisher to hire all those VAs is probably part of the reason that game is so forgettable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Celebrity voice talent isn't typically that expensive on an absolute scale. I've heard Samuel Jackson mention that his rate for a voice-over game role is around $10K and he can knock it out in an afternoon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I picked it up when it was on sale and got too busy to play it immediately. I will say that as a movie guy, Hot Buff Starlord is weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I picked it up when it was on sale and got too busy to play it immediately. I will say that as a movie guy, Hot Buff Starlord is weird.

I mean Chris Pratt got pretty buff for the role.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean yeah, but he didn't have like the chiseled face.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Celebrity voice talent isn't typically that expensive on an absolute scale. I've heard Samuel Jackson mention that his rate for a voice-over game role is around $10K and he can knock it out in an afternoon.

I think it depends on how large the role is, and a lot of games now go for performance capture so it's more akin to an actual movie or TV shoot. Jackson probably did rattle out his lines for GTA in a weekend, but that was nearly 15 years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Would you accept Spider-Man for the Atari 2600?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, there is no reason for this to be 16 minutes long.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Lego DC Super-Villains trailer (CG, no gameplay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gn1Qmf9eo

Details here. Among other things, the story centers around a player-created character, which I don't believe have been playable in a Lego game outside Free Play mode before. Also, the plot is very loosely based on Forever Evil, which wasn't a great comic, but I can see how the "villains vs. evil Justice League" premise could work here.

quote:

For the first time, a Lego game will give players the ability to create and play as their own DC Super-Villain throughout the game. Their character becomes the center of the story, while teaming up with a variety of villains to adventure through the funny and original story written in collaboration with DC.

Lego DC Super-Villains will be available October 16, 2018 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch, and the PC.

“LEGO DC Super-Villains provides players a fun and humorous way to cause mischief by unleashing their DC Super-Villain’s sinister powers and amusing abilities,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “With an unprecedented amount of customization options to choose from, players can create and customize their character at the start of the story, unlocking new powers and abilities as they progress through the funniest LEGO game to date.”

quote:

In Lego DC Super-Villains, the Justice League has disappeared, leaving Earth’s protection to a newcomer group of heroes from a parallel universe, proclaiming themselves as the ‘Justice Syndicate.’ Villains from the ‘Legion Of Doom’ discover Earth’s newest heroes may not be the heroes they claim to be. With each player’s completely customizable Super-Villain character in command, this team of misfit lawbreakers must join forces to discover and foil the evil plans the incognito strangers have in store.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 30, 2018

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Barry Convex posted:

Lego DC Super-Villains trailer (CG, no gameplay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2gn1Qmf9eo

https://details Among other things, the story centers around a player-created character, which I don't believe have been playable in a Lego game outside Free Play mode before. Also, the plot is very loosely based on Forever Evil, which wasn't a great comic, but I can see how the "villains vs. evil Justice League" premise could work here.

Lego usually is pretty good, so I have a bit of faith.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Darkseid and Deathstroke also show up on the main screen.

Interesting to see Grodd, Thawne and Livewire.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, like, any more news of the Spiderman ps4 game? I'm cautiously optimistic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nothing too major since SDCC. There was a new trailer showing off some of the open world stuff a few days ago, but this close to release, we're not gonna get many bombshells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBp_F67_DI

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Waffleman_ posted:

Nothing too major since SDCC. There was a new trailer showing off some of the open world stuff a few days ago, but this close to release, we're not gonna get many bombshells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBp_F67_DI

Not close enough! Everything I've seen makes it look like the best Spider-man game since SM2, plus the costumes you can unlock, and updated graphics/world etc.. I'm flipping out with anticipation.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Snap. Love the shot of the Sanctum Santorum there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Some people at Marvel have said that if Spider-Man does well, they're not opposed to maybe the idea of a loosely connected game universe. Probably not like on the scale of the MCU, but Avengers Tower and the Sanctum Sanctorum being in Spidey are good seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people at Marvel have said that if Spider-Man does well, they're not opposed to maybe the idea of a loosely connected game universe. Probably not like on the scale of the MCU, but Avengers Tower and the Sanctum Sanctorum being in Spidey are good seeds.

If we don't get a new Ultimate Alliance game I'm going to be so lovely. Also, if Sony gets this potential game universe and not X-Box, I'll be even more lovely.

So I'm probably going to be REALLY lovely soon.