Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

:rip: Homegroups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rexxed posted:

:rip: Homegroups.
I never used it, but it seemed like a good idea. Why are they killing it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mystes posted:

:iiam: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Post 1803 update, anyone noticing Facebook.com in chrome pegging a CPU core at 100% and ramping up to turbo speed? Could just be a coincidence or I'm bitminining for Zucc.

Seemed only post update but could easily be a coincidence.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Post 1803 update, anyone noticing Facebook.com in chrome pegging a CPU core at 100% and ramping up to turbo speed? Could just be a coincidence or I'm bitminining for Zucc.

There's some social malware going around Facebook now, so make sure you didn't download a Chrome extension to be able to watch a video on fake youtube.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

astral posted:

There's some social malware going around Facebook now, so make sure you didn't download a Chrome extension to be able to watch a video on fake youtube.

Oh man, I'll check everything out. It's def not a happy bunny though.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

mystes posted:

I dunno, but it was very useful to setup for old people and friends and there isn't a good replacement.

I've found within my own network that folder shares are hosed up from this and I haven't put in the effort yet to fix them yet. I've had IT nerds suggest spend $500 for a real NAS for sharing when my free solution from MS worked just fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have to admit intense chrome browsing with multi-tabs seems slower than normal.

Anyone else looking forward to the next Windows release with improved Edge Tab Performance?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you have 8715 tabs??

cat doter posted:

Kind of a weird dumb little question, but does anyone know how I can force icon text to be white with a black outline? It's confusing because when I boot my computer up, the text on desktop icons are just purely black, which combined with my wallpaper is barely legible. But in the process of using my computer it switches to white with a black outline on its own? I'd like it to stay at that so I can actually read the icon text. Like I said it's just a little thing, but I can't seem to find a setting for this.

Here ya go, cat friend
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-shadows-for-texts-on-desktop-in-windows-2/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

There is also an 1803 bug with Chrome, make sure you are latest chrome release and all microsoft updates are installed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

yes and its driving me nuts

just stop using facebook

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

yes and its driving me nuts

just stop using facebook

Happening to you too? I can't find anything malicious causing it, everything is updated.

You're right about Facebook. I need to get rid of the habit of having it open in a tab.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Nine times out of ten when chrome is going apeshit over something an open Facebook tab has been the culprit for me. Not sure how much running win10 increases the likelihood of this.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Firefox had to ship a compatibility update specifically for 1803, maybe Chrome needs something similar?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mystes posted:

My own experience has been lots of problems with machines losing their membership or not being able to see each other.
If just MS account-linked users could work reliably across machines as if they were in a domain, or even better if you could establish a shared security group of sort.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Homegroups communicated on IPv6 and if your router wasnt doing that right, it would fail.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mystes posted:

The few people I know who tried to use it said it was an unreliable clusterfuck.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FB made some kind of code change recently. It started chewing 105% CPU in its Chrome tab on my MBP yesterday morning. Don't think it's related to Windows.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't load FB all day yesterday. Problem solved.

But yeah, the moment I start scrolling down in a feed, it starts chugging.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So I've updated both my desktop and laptop. My laptop has timeline and my desktop just has multiple desktops.

I don't really give a poo poo about timeline, but why would they be different?

Edit: Well, turns out Windows just decided to not do the 1803 update. So we roll again.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 11, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AlexDeGruven posted:

FB made some kind of code change recently. It started chewing 105% CPU in its Chrome tab on my MBP yesterday morning. Don't think it's related to Windows.

Great work, zuck!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Timeline has no chrome in it. It has other win32 applications so... what is this for again?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Seeing the same FB chugging on Firefox, so there's definitely a problem there.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Is there any way to export Cortana searches or especially browsing history from Edge?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Can someone explain what's up with the five dollar Windows10 keys on ebay? Seems shady. Did however pick one up. Here's what the seller says.

quote:

Microsoft Policy States:

"Large brand-name computer manufacturers, such as Dell and Compaq, often include OEM software on non-holographic “recovery” or “reinstallation” discs that show the manufacturer’s brand name. These software packages are typically marked with a phrase that states, for instance, “For Distribution with a new Dell PC only.” Recovery or reinstallation software is licensed only for distribution with new computers and can be redistributed only with the computer for which it was initially distributed. Distributing such software with individual PC hardware components (e.g. hard drive; RAM) does not comply with Microsoft’s OEM distribution requirements." - Therefore, this sale includes the original computer from which the COA was taken off

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

zaepg posted:

Can someone explain what's up with the five dollar Windows10 keys on ebay? Seems shady. Did however pick one up. Here's what the seller says.

I don't think that license is technically portable away from the computer it was shipped with.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Except the EU disagrees with that so people can get away with it.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I mean it worked. It's legit, as of now. Just unsure how this works.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zaepg posted:

MS wants you to use Windows 10, their hot advertising platform. They're not trying to make it hard to get. Last I heard you can still upgrade a pirated windows 7 or 8 to get a legit 10 activation.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I got a couple of retail Windows 7 Pro keys from MSDNAA when I was in college several years ago, and I'm pretty sure every time I upgrade a computer with Windows 7 using one of those keys to 10 it unlocks another slot; I've gotten valid retail activations of 10 Pro on seriously like 10+ machines at this point and I have never bought a copy.

It really seems like they don't care.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Good. I still need a cheap key or two for my VMs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Just opened two properties dialogs to cross-check folder sizes and they use two different fonts. How does this even happen.

Eletriarnation posted:

I got a couple of retail Windows 7 Pro keys from MSDNAA when I was in college several years ago, and I'm pretty sure every time I upgrade a computer with Windows 7 using one of those keys to 10 it unlocks another slot; I've gotten valid retail activations of 10 Pro on seriously like 10+ machines at this point and I have never bought a copy.

It really seems like they don't care.

Haha, I did the same thing. Been using the same Windows key for almost a decade now.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Weedle posted:

Just opened two properties dialogs to cross-check folder sizes and they use two different fonts. How does this even happen.
Does it? I cannot see the difference in fonts in your example.

What am I missing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tapedump posted:

What am I missing?

Look at the lowercase “e,” or lowercase “c,” or comma, or colon, or number 1, or number 6.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tapedump posted:

What am I missing?

It's subtle but it's there. It's particularly easy to see by comparing the two Attributes. Look at the spacing between characters, especially the pair of t's.

^^^ooh yeah the 1s and 6s are really obvious.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 11, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

zaepg posted:

This comes up every few pages in this thread and the short version is that the Windows and Office divisions make their money selling licenses to businesses and OEMs. They truly don't care about how home users got their copy, as long as it wasn't preloaded by a shady local computer builder. I'd imagine their auditors would have a field day if you were using these kinds of keys in a business environment, but for home use they basically turn a blind eye.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This sort of poo poo en masse, which is what win10 is, really does begin to grate...

The stupid scrollbars not syncing, the control panel/settings fiasco...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fonts are the same, sizes are not.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Steakandchips posted:

This sort of poo poo en masse, which is what win10 is, really does begin to grate...

The stupid scrollbars not syncing, the control panel/settings fiasco...

Don't worry, I'm sure Microsoft's QA department will catch all of these problems.
:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good. I still need a cheap key or two for my VMs.
I bought one for 4.75€ and it works. Jesus F. Christ, I should have done that way back when I got an actual license.

Too bad they don't sell Workstation edition keys on the cheap.

--edit:
There actually are on Ebay :toot: