Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
aaaah. The rare Soviet submission pike square.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lake Effect posted:

aaaah. The rare Soviet submission pike square.

Nah they're standing too close together

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TxHistComm/status/994929816326627331

Wikipedia says he was in the Army. I thought South Pacific was all Marines and Navy, what did the army do in that theater?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

Wikipedia says he was in the Army. I thought South Pacific was all Marines and Navy, what did the army do in that theater?

Invade islands.

The Marines did not do nearly as much as they and pop culture would have you believe. The Army was very, very active in the Pacific.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume he was in a segregated unit, did all-black units see fighting or just support (He was a Technician Fifth Grade)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

I assume he was in a segregated unit, did all-black units see fighting or just support (He was a Technician Fifth Grade)

They absolutely saw fighting, and lots of it. All-black Army units featured prominently in Japanese propaganda to terrify Japanese civilians, that they were trained war gorillas the Americans taught to use guns and were rewarded by being the first in line to rape Japanese women.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My grandfather was captured by black US troops, he used to joke that it happened at night and he couldn't see them coming. (Racist humor from a Luftwaffe veteran?!?!)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

They absolutely saw fighting, and lots of it. All-black Army units featured prominently in Japanese propaganda to terrify Japanese civilians, that they were trained war gorillas the Americans taught to use guns and were rewarded by being the first in line to rape Japanese women.

My great aunt was terrified of black people until the day she died for that exact reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

P-Mack posted:

My grandfather was captured by black US troops, he used to joke that it happened at night and he couldn't see them coming. (Racist humor from a Luftwaffe veteran?!?!)

Clean Luftwaffe Myth destroyed

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Tias posted:

So I know I promised an effortpost on British antifascism, but it's probably not going to happen, because it's really not something I know a lot about, and i couldn't scrounge the litterature I needed :(

However, I have started a multi-part effortpost on the Swedish and Scandi neo-nazi movement, so if you want to venture into C-Spam (and I sure won't hold it against you if you don't), go check it out!

That was a cool post, thanks!

Would there be any interest in a similar effortpost detailing the history of right-wing extremism in Germany and Austria? This is something I’m interested in and yet know too little about, and writing up stuff is always a great incentive to learn new things :)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

Pop history strikes again!

The USMC had about 6 active divisions in the Pacific theatre, the US army had about 20ish out of the 90ish they raised for WW2 active in the pacific theatre.

Plus the army could also be trained for naval landings, (Hint: the largest naval landing in WW2 D-day did not have any Marine units landing). The army was almost present in every single battle in the Pacific Theatre.

Also while I'm on this subject without a US army Regimental combat team fighting and holding off a Chinese attack near the east side of the Chosin Resovoir the entire 1st Marine division could have been cutoff and surrounded before they could have retreated.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

System Metternich posted:

That was a cool post, thanks!

Would there be any interest in a similar effortpost detailing the history of right-wing extremism in Germany and Austria? This is something I’m interested in and yet know too little about, and writing up stuff is always a great incentive to learn new things :)

Very interested. I've followed the shenanigans of Austrian, Swiss and German nazis hopping borders to beef each others numbers a little, but I know next to nothing about them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So why do Marines get to overshadow everyone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

Because OO-RAH!

Marines are loud and have been heavily glamourized over the Army throughout the 20th century, bringing with it disproportionate political power. They do basically nothing the Army doesn't anymore, and haven't since about the 19th century.

Also, name an American military procurement fuckup in the last fifty years and odds are good the Marines are partially responsible. Case in point: the F35 debacle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JcDent posted:

The Marine Corps is the Navy’s police force, and as long as I am president, that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin’s. - HST

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

zoux posted:

The Marine Corps is the Navy’s police force, and as long as I am president, that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin’s. - Former US Army Colonel HST

Fixed

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I've heard that black soldiers actually ended up being noticeably better behaved than white ones in the subsequent occupation.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

P-Mack posted:

I've heard that black soldiers actually ended up being noticeably better behaved than white ones in the subsequent occupation.

with how they were treated back home, they knew they had to be better than white troops. they had something to prove. same thing happened in the civil war.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

with how they were treated back home, they knew they had to be better than white troops. they had something to prove. same thing happened in the civil war.

And with the Japanese-American unit in WW2, for that matter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ex-Colonel and POTUS Hunter S Thompson would have been something

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

P-Mack posted:

My favorite is always the white American soldiers in England freaking the gently caress out because the black soldiers were treated relatively equally by the locals.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

aphid_licker posted:

Ex-Colonel and POTUS Hunter S Thompson would have been something

Fear and Loathing in Washington, D.C.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PittTheElder posted:

My favorite is always the white American soldiers in England freaking the gently caress out because the black soldiers were treated relatively equally by the locals.

A substantial number of black soldiers chose to stay in Europe, after both WW1 and WW2, after how much better they were treated in England and France than they were back home.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

My dad was an MP in the early 60s and was making the rounds one night with a white guy from Alabama. They came across a black officer heading out on a date with a white woman. My dad just checks that everyones passes or whatever are in order, salutes, and then notices his partner is nowhere to be seen. He eventually finds the guy around the corner behind some bushes practically throwing up.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Do modern military units still carry battle flags into a fight?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cythereal posted:

Because OO-RAH!

Marines are loud and have been heavily glamourized over the Army throughout the 20th century, bringing with it disproportionate political power. They do basically nothing the Army doesn't anymore, and haven't since about the 19th century.

Also, name an American military procurement fuckup in the last fifty years and odds are good the Marines are partially responsible. Case in point: the F35 debacle.

The Marines did a lot of mythmaking to save themselves from being a casualty of the Post-ww2 drawdown.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Why are you using racist propaganda as evidence of african americans fighting in wwii?

The majority of segregated units in the Pacific were support units, and the combat formations were assigned (deliberately) to garrison captured/recaptured islands. The group that saw the most combat was probably aa gunners across army and navy, the group that saw the intense combat were the marines support units assigned to the invasion force

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Why are you using racist propaganda as evidence of african americans fighting in wwii?

The majority of segregated units in the Pacific were support units, and the combat formations were assigned (deliberately) to garrison captured/recaptured islands. The group that saw the most combat was probably aa gunners across army and navy, the group that saw the intense combat were the marines support units assigned to the invasion force

I'm not using racist propaganda as evidence. For actual evidence, take a read of The Fleet at Flood Tide by James D. Hornfischer. Who, for example, cites two companies of African-American army troops as being vital to the invasion of Saipan when those "support units" were among the first units to land on the Yellow beach landing sites and were critical in keeping the Japanese from overrunning the beachhead (p. 139-140).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tomn posted:

Do modern military units still carry battle flags into a fight?

Not really in modern times though a certain dickhead terrorist militia in Syria loving loves it's banners.

The last time the British Army had standards flying in the field was during the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War. Then Maiwand happened. After that loss the standards would remain off the battlefield and only fly for ceremonial reasons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Is he the guy from that image macro where he's got his old Thompson and it's like "tfw Nazis are marching in the streets but you still have your tommy gun from 1944?"

E:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 11, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVtnCzg9xw&t=1525s

Important enough to warrant a mention in a training film, for how to behave in Britain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Everybody knows that the Bavarian "verspuit" is best anyway :cool:

Nee du

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Probably the most effective translation in English would be squadron or troop. I think contemporaneously it would be called a banner.
a contemporary squadron is a block of cav, this sounds more like subdivisions of that

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Although this is late I feel the need to point out that reenactors are just a particularly stuck up subset of larpers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not really in modern times though a certain dickhead terrorist militia in Syria loving loves it's banners.
so do their enemies, i have seen shittons of banners with saints on them

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah a lot of groups in war torn Syria have gotten old school with political or religious banners.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how much southern soldiers freaked out when they were stationed in places that didn't treat African Americans like human garbage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
change a few details and this is 19th century, in fact half of those flags look 19th century with swastikas added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth