Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Nah. They won't announce that while still doing CKII dlc.

I wasn't aware they were still doing that, and I'm surprised at my own assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In order of how excited I'll be:

1. Victoria 3
2. A Cold War game based on politics and diplomacy and proxy wars and not open warfare
3. Rome 2
4. Dark Ages game
5. Any other mapgame
6. Any non-mapgame

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 11, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pakled posted:

2. A Cold War game based on politics and diplomacy and covert ops (and proxy wars maybe) and not open warfare

this is what i want.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pakled posted:

1. Victoria 3
2. A Cold War game based on politics and diplomacy and proxy wars and not open warfare
3. Rome 2
4. Dark Ages game
5. Any other mapgame
6. Any non-mapgame

Correct Opinion Man right here. That top 3 is pretty close together though (I assume that if they do Rome 2 they have figured out a way to make it not just "slightly different EU4")

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You mentioning map games makes me wonder whether a hypothetical ck3 even should have a map in the traditional sense. Given its large focus on interpersonal relationships, it might need something nontraditional to be more userfriendly.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

double nine posted:

You mentioning map games makes me wonder whether a hypothetical ck3 even should have a map in the traditional sense. Given its large focus on interpersonal relationships, it might need something nontraditional to be more userfriendly.

We've been saying it for years. We want the interface to be an actual palace/throne room style area where you only interact with the world via your courtiers and messengers

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Senor Dog posted:

If you know something groogster you better spit it out right now

That if it isn't just a re-release of Vicky2 then you will just say it is a dumbed downed version with manas.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groogy posted:

That if it isn't just a re-release of Vicky2 then you will just say it is a dumbed downed version with manas.

Is it really genocide if I spend some Polish mana to get more German Craftsman mana?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I just want a game with interesting internal stuff to do, I don't really mind if that comes as a sequel to Victoria II or adding more mechanics into CK3, or some new IP. It would be nice to have a paradox game where I'm given a bunch of meaningful challenges to overcome that don't involve annexing something.

I'd love a city builder though, I'm not gonna lie. The world needs more city builders.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paradox resurrecting the impressions style city builder would be rad.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I was gonna agree with you until you got to the city builder part. I'm pretty much up for anything but I sure hope it's a grand strategy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Red Bones posted:

I just want a game with interesting internal stuff to do, I don't really mind if that comes as a sequel to Victoria II or adding more mechanics into CK3, or some new IP. It would be nice to have a paradox game where I'm given a bunch of meaningful challenges to overcome that don't involve annexing something.

I'd love a city builder though, I'm not gonna lie. The world needs more city builders.

Cities: Skylines still has DLC coming out so I think a typical modern-era SimCity style city builder is unlikely. And they also just released Surviving Mars, so I'd figure a sci-fi one is unlikely too. Maybe a city builder set in some other historical era?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Groogy posted:

Confirmed: it's a V2 re-release.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Groogy posted:

That fits, since Victoria 2 is already a dumbed down version of Victoria 1 with manas

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I loving hate the term mana.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Cities: Skylines still has DLC coming out so I think a typical modern-era SimCity style city builder is unlikely. And they also just released Surviving Mars, so I'd figure a sci-fi one is unlikely too. Maybe a city builder set in some other historical era?

Fantasy city builder? Not "medieval", I mean with like dragons and poo poo

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Red Bones posted:

I’ve said it before, but the reason why CK2 works is because they correctly realised that all politics is external politics relative to yourself as an individual, and that feudalism and government merely provides the framework that defines the conflict between you and all your external competitors. Most games that include some kind of internal politics casts it as an abstracted drag on your nation’s efficiency, forcing you to take subpar decisions, and lack the sense that you’re in direct competition with another person or faction that is seeking to promote their own self interest and who will happily see you burn if they gain thereby.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Fantasy city builder? Not "medieval", I mean with like dragons and poo poo

It has a name and it is Majesty

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

LordMune posted:

It has a name and it is Majesty

Your Majeshty! We've improved the Gaurdhoushe!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pakled posted:

I was thinking something historical, yeah. Bronze age Mediterranean and the near east, pre-columbian mesoamerica and some historical periods in south-east asia would potentially be good periods for a game where you're switching between dealing things at the city level and then switching to a wider map view to deal with relations between city-states - who are your trading partners, who are your vassals, who are your allies, etc.

It's a personal preference for what kinds of games I enjoy, but I also think the interplay between the city and the wider map would make for interesting gameplay. Running a city provides meaningful gameplay challenges that aren't just based around military expansion, whilst also giving players a new way to see their success visually represented by building a fancy palace, improving the city infrastructure, building a huge monument, etc. Maybe sieges actually take place on the city map, so the placement of defensive structures is actually meaningful. Some resources are rarer than others, but in a game with a wider map the resources actually come from somewhere, so decorating your entire greek city-state with lapis lazuli statues doesn't just require you to achieve some abstract level of wealth in ducats, it also requires securing a stable supply route all the way from Afghanistan, or stealing the material off other people who already have it.

Anyway, that's all just blue sky poo poo, I don't know if it would work in practice and I can already think of a lot of potential hurdles to overcome. It's just an example of how a map game and a city game could fit together, especially in a historical setting where city-states were the norm, or a common form of political organisation.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I want some kind of Paradox developed high quality map game designed for mobile because I am terrible

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

:same:

Groogy posted:

Extremely :same:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I was thinking something historical, yeah. Bronze age Mediterranean and the near east, pre-columbian mesoamerica and some historical periods in south-east asia would potentially be good periods for a game where you're switching between dealing things at the city level and then switching to a wider map view to deal with relations between city-states - who are your trading partners, who are your vassals, who are your allies, etc.

It's a personal preference for what kinds of games I enjoy, but I also think the interplay between the city and the wider map would make for interesting gameplay. Running a city provides meaningful gameplay challenges that aren't just based around military expansion, whilst also giving players a new way to see their success visually represented by building a fancy palace, improving the city infrastructure, building a huge monument, etc. Maybe sieges actually take place on the city map, so the placement of defensive structures is actually meaningful. Some resources are rarer than others, but in a game with a wider map the resources actually come from somewhere, so decorating your entire greek city-state with lapis lazuli statues doesn't just require you to achieve some abstract level of wealth in ducats, it also requires securing a stable supply route all the way from Afghanistan, or stealing the material off other people who already have it.

Anyway, that's all just blue sky poo poo, I don't know if it would work in practice and I can already think of a lot of potential hurdles to overcome. It's just an example of how a map game and a city game could fit together, especially in a historical setting where city-states were the norm, or a common form of political organisation.
I want this now. Take responsibility and go make it happen. :v:

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Groogy posted:

Svea Rike IV with Mana!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mana is not allowed unless the game has wizards! :mad:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fader Movitz posted:

Svea Rike IV with Mana!

I would totally be down for a resurrection our greatest franchise

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kaza42 posted:

Your Majeshty! We've improved the Gaurdhoushe!

but I'm just...a gnome...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

When do they give us the second hint that it's Victoria III?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aqu posted:

I want some kind of Paradox developed high quality map game designed for mobile because I am terrible

I'd be on board with them trying something for android tablets, maybe slower paced or turn based. I don't think they will, and I'm not sure they SHOULD, but I'd buy it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sleeper option: It's Magicka 3 but they added mana.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Aren’t you basically describing the Impressions city-builders? Or Children of the Nike for a game that feels less like a puzzle to be solved.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Red Bones posted:

so caesar 3 but good

yeah that sounds rad

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

Aren’t you basically describing the Impressions city-builders? Or Children of the Nike for a game that feels less like a puzzle to be solved.

A game about running a sweatshop seems a bit dark for Paradox.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yup, same.

I hope it is a new bronze are era game based on the Med /middle East / Persia.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just play Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Blame paradox. They're the ones that named their resource MP.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Don Gato posted:

A game about running a sweatshop seems a bit dark for Paradox.

Goddamn it, this is what I get for phone posting.

But yeah, I can’t recommend Children of the NILE enough. Monumental architecture in the most literal sense, a well-developed economy based on food as currency, a government run by the few educated elites and heavily reliant on priests, and a relaxed, repetitive cycle of flooding, planting, and harvesting that all does a ton for immersion in the gentle rhythms of ancient Egypt.

Mantis42 posted:

Just play Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

If you’ve played one Impressions citybuilder you’ve played like 90% of them all.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

How about "Paradox Grand Strategy: That's not the real Vicky 3!"

Right you are! :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like Vicky 3 is not a Johan project. Wasn't he only nominally involved in the first two? Could definitely be Rome 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Rome 2 makes the most sense from a business perspective. If they make the base robust enough you could stretch the time period from Babylon to the early middle ages somewhat feasibly. And sell each one of those timline chunks for 10 to 15 dollars.