Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
how are people building their Thunderbolts, got myself one and am having a hard time figuring out what I should do with it. current staff consists of a Hunchback medium laser boat, an AC20+srm Orion, a flamethrower+medium laser Grasshopper, and a Centurion LRM boat

should I have the Thunderbolt replace the Centurion in massive long range deliveries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

massive long range deliveries

But enough about your mom and I

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ze Pollack posted:

how are people building their Thunderbolts, got myself one and am having a hard time figuring out what I should do with it. current staff consists of a Hunchback medium laser boat, an AC20+srm Orion, a flamethrower+medium laser Grasshopper, and a Centurion LRM boat

should I have the Thunderbolt replace the Centurion in massive long range deliveries?

I've had good success at making the Thunderbolt a heavier AC/20 Hunchback. I didn't find it great as a LRM mech cause it can only fit 40 tubes, given the variant, but you could probably mix in some long range guns as well.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ze Pollack posted:

I filled mine with lasers and srm's and keep it on the front lines. It is surprisingly durable and gets around the battlefield well with the JJ's equipped. For some reason it pairs better with my assaults than the Orion, which tended to get shot to pieces likely due to low evasion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SpaceDrake posted:

And if you're Deep Periphery, it's just a standard Blackjack... but for some reason, the weapons it's equipped with are really high quality.

Yeah, I edited my starting mech to be the SLDF Griffin for p. much this reason.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think I did a Thunderbolt as a brawler with a lot of lasers and jumpjets. In general most of my thinking boiled down to:

Lots of laser slots?
-Fill them with medium lasers. Any missile slots / weight left put SRMs
Not a ton of laser slots? Do one of two things
-AC20 build (with other short range stuff as room permits)
OR
-LRM boat (if enough missile slots)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

peer posted:

SimGameConstants.json in BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants. Find "StartingPlayerMech" and "StartingLance", replace the mechs listed with whichever you like. You can see all the mech variants in /data/mech

I think on some replay I might swap the blackjack for a "Fat fish in a little pond" mech.

In story your crew flips their poo poo over the enemy having a Quickdraw. Clearly this means everyone will be impressed by your protag having one :pseudo:

That said, I'm glad your BG picks are really just for flavor text in the end. For both Skills and Mechs.

Can you imagine all the screaming if there were different mechs tied to backgrounds, and the 'best' mech not being tied to Deep periphery secret clanner their personal favorite?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

But enough about your mom and I

n...no!!!!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I got Dekker killed in the first mission by running up the road into the LRM hail. I thought I could block LoS, but sensor lock. Then I thought maybe hugging the mountain might block the shots, but LRMs have pretty good targeting :sigh:

Aside from that, I am glad my PC is immortal. First time I "died" it was on the mission to recover the Argo. Mission was cake until pirate lady comes out in her Quickdraw, I thought I would be fancy and JJ behind her to alpha her back in my Shadowhawk... she turned around and punched the head clean off my mech. My remaining 2 mediums and one light then took part in what is still my toughest battle of the game as they desperately plinked away at her armour while trying to evade her strikes. Eventually we had shot both her arms off and the rest of her armour looked like Swiss cheese. We closed for the kill. Then she kicked Behemoth's med to death (Bemmy survived though) and we quickly fled and returned to plinking. Sadly we only got one piece of salvage from that.

PC was in the medbay for 139 days. On my second mission after recovering I got cored by a Jenner of all things in my Blackjack. I was pretty busted up by then, but I thought it was safe to expose to a light mech. It was not. Another 109 days in the medbay.

Aside from that, no deaths so far. PC is almost back on duty now, so we'll see how long I last this time. I am currently the least trained member of my lance :(

One spot of luck, unless everyone gets this, was that I found an AC20++ early on in a store, so I refitted my Shadowhawk into a faux Hunchback while it was getting its head reattached. It has no other weapons and a lot of armour. I'm not entirely sure this was the best idea, as even the Hunchback seems able to carry more than just its AC20, but it's quite amusing to run up and just destroy someone.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 12, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
having an AC20++ early has to be hilarious

playing point-and-click with locusts

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Had a Shadowhawk with an AC20 in the early game it was indeed pretty hilarious.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Got myself a Commando, it's shockingly potent! Whenever the AI uses them they just like to park in front of my Shadowhawk and get OHKO'd, so I wasn't expecting much.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The Shadowhawk you start with is so good that I ran it until I got the Highlander. Glitch in a Shadowhawk with SRM 16 can easily work her way behind almost any mech and core them in a volley or two, especially once you crank up her tactics. Tactics, plus cheap called shots plus 16 missiles in the small of the back equals dead mechs real quick.

I managed to take a Grasshopper, two Thunderhawks and a Griffon backed up by a Demolisher, a Shrek and two SRM Carriers with her in the Shadow Hawk, My main guy in a 40 LRM Cent, Dekker in a punchy Jager (full jump jets, 2 small lasers, 2 MG, 3 ML and 1 LL, try to get close and DFA a mech and then punch them as much as I can after that since the legs are mostly gone after that first one) and Behemoth in an Orion with an AC 20 and 12 SRMs.

Behemoth had to eject from the Orion with 3 hits on her, but managed a lucky headshot on the grasshopper before she got taken out, my main character ran out of missiles and had to go tank fire for a while, but they didn't manage to take him out, and Dekker and Glitch Just played the be super defensive, defer to the last phase, hit what you can, activate early next round, hit them again and back off to be defensive game and managed to circle around and generally just get one enemy at a time that could take any shots back.

The grasshopper is amazing and a far better punchbot than Dekker's old Jagermech. 6 ML, 4 SL and 2MG will core most mechs fast and god help them if he gets to DFA them.

Shortly after that mission I got the Highlander as well as another Orion so my lance is now Orion LRM boat, Orion brawler, Grasshopper disco-punchbot and the Highlander with Gauss/30 LRM (all with +2 stab damage) and a couple of ML just in case anything ever gets close to her. I feel like nothing is capable of stopping this lance now.

This game is so much fun.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 12, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So a while back I commented that I couldn't seem to get anything bigger than a Dragon. All of a sudden, right before Grave Robbing the floodgates cracked and and I got an Orion which I outfitted with a couple of PPCs and an SRM-6 because I'm still salty there's no Warhammer in the game. (gently caress you, Harmony Gold. Ten year old me was wrong to like your cartoon! :argh:) I scored an Awesome and Highlander on that gig, and now its nothing but heavies all the way down. I've got the Highlander, the Awesome, two Orions, and a Grasshopper, with chunks of others just waiting for more victims. Oh, and I still have a Dragon, I guess. (Still just a bad initiative Medium, not a real Heavy.)

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 11, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jng2058 posted:

So a while back I commented that I couldn't seem to get anything bigger than a Dragon. All of a sudden, right before Grave Robbing the floodgates cracked and and I got an Orion which I outfitted with a couple of PPCs and an SRM-6 because I'm still salty there's no Warhammer in the game. (gently caress you, Harmony Gold. Ten year old me was wrong to like your cartoon! :argh:) I scored an Awesome and Highlander on that gig, and now its nothing but heavies all the way down. I've got the Highlander, the Awesome, two Orions, and a Grasshopper, with chunks of others just waiting for more victims. Oh, and I still have a Dragon, I guess. (Still just a bad initiative Medium, not a real Heavy.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzEssjkMeU

Oh my god

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there a reason this game runs like rear end? I'm above the recommended settings and it's chugging and stuttering constantly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You gotta watch this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrxjnEWIuk

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there only one Banshee version? I got the 3M, is this the poo poo one?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm at work someone tell me how to spec my Battlemaster for maximum fun

Mega brawler with maxed out MLs, SRMs with DHS to keep things cool.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eej posted:

Mega brawler with maxed out MLs, SRMs with DHS to keep things cool.

Where are you getting DHS from?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Any chance of missions giving tonnage estimates in the future? For one 4.5 skull mission, my 315t lance came up against 610t of enemies, whereas in another I just came across 355t. Having two sensor locking banshees tank your entire lance while you get pounded by breaching shot LRMs on a martian map is definitely something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A.o.D. posted:

Where are you getting DHS from?

You get some during the campaign (and more after completing it)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Is there a reason this game runs like rear end? I'm above the recommended settings and it's chugging and stuttering constantly.

Poor optimization.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like I've been using a Centurion as an LRM boat (2 LRM 20++ at the moment) for forever. What heavier LRM boats are out there? I just tried putting 3 LRM20's on an Orion-V and it would work except I'd have almost no armor so what's the point?

Edit: Current team is 2 Black Knight's specced for an Mlaser party, An Orion-K with AC10/SRMs for close range/stability damage, and my Centurion sitting in the back knocking everyone on their rear end. Not sure where to upgrade from here.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 12, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flipswitch posted:

Is there only one Banshee version? I got the 3M, is this the poo poo one?

There's the BNC-3E which is the poo poo one and the BNC-3M which is salvageable by turning it into either a disco bot or a punchbot due to the 3M having a shitload of energy and support hardpoints.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

You get some during the campaign (and more after completing it)

Yup. I might give a modded No Campaign run a go with SDLF tech in stores but Pillars is occupying my time right now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fhqwhgads posted:

I feel like I've been using a Centurion as an LRM boat (2 LRM 20++ at the moment) for forever. What heavier LRM boats are out there? I just tried putting 3 LRM20's on an Orion-V and it would work except I'd have almost no armor so what's the point?

Edit: Current team is 2 Black Knight's specced for an Mlaser party, An Orion-K with AC10/SRMs for close range/stability damage, and my Centurion sitting in the back knocking everyone on their rear end. Not sure where to upgrade from here.

Cents have 31.5 tons free for armor and weapons, Orions have 42.5. So if you use the same armor your cent has then you can add one more LRM20 and an extra ton of ammo on the Orion.

There's basically no situation where your LRM mech needs more armor to keep up anyhow.

From there you can upgrade to an AWS-8T, Stalker, or Highlander.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
My missile boats went Centurion 9A, Catapult C1, Jagermech A and I'm hunting for a stalker now. Any of those are fine, the C1 really needs +stability LRM20s, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The plot Highlander is a fantastic missile boat. You can fit the Gauss, 2 LRM20s, jump jets, and a copious amount of armor and ammo with no real issue.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

Start with an Urbie with an AC20 duck-taped to the side of it.

artists rendition:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Mo_Steel posted:

artists rendition:

Easily doable in HBS BT, swap gun and ammo, take heat sink off (why is there a heat sink on the trashcan lol) and shave 5-10 armor off each part. You can keep the JJs and the small laser.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
You know, it's kind of ridiculous that the "news" feed in Steam doesn't include things like, you know, patch notes.

No, please show me a bunch of random RPS articles instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hubis posted:

You know, it's kind of ridiculous that the "news" feed in Steam doesn't include things like, you know, patch notes.

No, please show me a bunch of random RPS articles instead.

The company needs to update with patch notes. If they don't give any, Steam don't show any.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Steam's news feed has always been a ridiculous joke.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Interesting idea.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/97

This adds a cost for dropping a mech based around it's chassis cost. Heavier lance, higher cost for fuel/ammo/etc. Neat step, but still gonna have to deal with opfor being 12 mechs.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

gently caress a fun tax

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Interesting idea.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/97

This adds a cost for dropping a mech based around it's chassis cost. Heavier lance, higher cost for fuel/ammo/etc. Neat step, but still gonna have to deal with opfor being 12 mechs.

Because Dragons were too good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The mod alone is garbo, but it's an interesting step towards trying to make lance variety a thing.