Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I actually didn't know I could use regular Land Raiders and Rhinos in 30k, I have some lying around from when I got into Space Marines a long time ago. Do the kits need any conversion bits or are those all doors?

I'd legit have no problem with anyone using current marine models, up to and including standard tac marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hustlin Floh posted:

I'd legit have no problem with anyone using current marine models, up to and including standard tac marines.

I'd rather die.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

You can run vets, the most broken unit in the game. It helps a lot.

I presume that they don't require special models outside the box set?

Speaking of the derail from the other thread, are there any women in 30k outside the Sisters of Silence (who from what I've heard were featured in a book everyone hated)? I assume they'd show up at least in the Solar Auxillia, since this was pre-empire-becoming-a-hot-mess.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I presume that they don't require special models outside the box set?

Speaking of the derail from the other thread, are there any women in 30k outside the Sisters of Silence (who from what I've heard were featured in a book everyone hated)? I assume they'd show up at least in the Solar Auxillia, since this was pre-empire-becoming-a-hot-mess.

No, but the Solar Auxilla are kind of tragic in that they were a sculptors pet project and are unlikely to get much more support now he has left. The transport they got recently was a huge surprise. The range is so tiny they never got to women.

SoS are from the Inferno book. It was years late, full of mistakes and QA issues and incredibly overpowered compared to every single 30k book before it. They dont' get much playtime in 30k because the Custodes completely eclipse them in every way.

They have a very cool transport though :unsmith:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

You can run vets, the most broken unit in the game. It helps a lot.

You can make very reasonable lists with Calth, and 30k plays fine between 1k and 2k points. People tend to play bigger games because 1. Units get more points efficient when you max them out and 2. People generally want to take their bigass toys when they play 30k.

It’s also a Definite Thing that the 30k community plays more casually/less optimally than 40kers, generally because armies tend to be a painting/modeling project first and an actual competitive army list second, so there’s more pressure to make things look good and less pressure to make things super competitive.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

SoS are from the Inferno book. It was years late, full of mistakes and QA issues and incredibly overpowered compared to every single 30k book before it. They dont' get much playtime in 30k because the Custodes completely eclipse them in every way.

This is interesting to hear since from what I saw before 8thed (could have been 7th, maybe 6th?) they had a straight up "psykers get hosed" aura around each unit that made them pretty good if your army didnt have psykers. Were they nerfed in HH or do Custodes just happen to have crazy anti-psyker stuff of their own?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It’s also a Definite Thing that the 30k community plays more casually/less optimally than 40kers, generally because armies tend to be a painting/modeling project first and an actual competitive army list second, so there’s more pressure to make things look good and less pressure to make things super competitive.

This is very important. 30k as a game is designed for narrative games. The black books are full of linked missions and cool rulesets like VisV and ZM. It is exceedingly easy to break the game and build a list that will completely and utterly wipe everyone you face that isn't doing the same thing.

People that play like this either burn out fast or find a communtiy of likeminded people who turbomurder each other and have fun that way.

Neurolimal posted:

This is interesting to hear since from what I saw before 8thed (could have been 7th, maybe 6th?) they had a straight up "psykers get hosed" aura around each unit that made them pretty good if your army didnt have psykers. Were they nerfed in HH or do Custodes just happen to have crazy anti-psyker stuff of their own?

HH is not 40k 7th. Seriously. The meta and how things interact is completely different. Forget what you know about units that are in both 40k and 30k.

Outside of Thousand Sons, Psykers aren't seen very often if at all. They're a bad choice for most legions as they take an HQ slot, can't be a compulsory HQ and are expensive as gently caress.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Solar Auxilia are so covered in armor that you wouldn't be able to tell men and women apart anyways.

It's some rad armor though. Those flanges. :swoon:

Neurolimal posted:

Simply put, psykers are super limited in 30k and countering them isn't something most players worry about. The most a standard legion list could take is two and they'd only be ML2, tops. Word Bearers can break this slightly, but not enough to matter. Thousand Sons completely loving wrecked everything though with high mastery level psykers and a bunch of psychic units on top of that. Plus Magnus. He is complete bullshit.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 11, 2018

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

There is almost no psychic stuff in HH. The only armies you’d expect to use the psychic phase at all are word bearers and 1k sons

Cults and militias can be full of lady troopers, to answer your other question.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

i'm gay and uninterested in titties be they necron or meatling, sorry for ruining the meme

Hmmmmmm

Maybe you WOULD like 30k...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Meanwhile, here I am, slowly converting those 40k bikes to 30K DG outriders.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hey guys i heard a rumor that 40k and 30k are still bad and made by a bad company can anyone confirm or deny?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i also heard that 8th is bad, and that 7th is bad, and all editions are bad, except for 1st edition, which was the most bad

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I heard Amazon is bad.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

i also heard that 8th is bad, and that 7th is bad, and all editions are bad, except for 1st edition, which was the most bad

Yeah but you're gay so you don't like tittycrons??????

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
We're all gay down here.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i do agree this is the chillest 40k thread, but please byob

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

i do agree this is the chillest 40k thread, but please byob

I just want to add you should BYOB but if not there is always two Busch lights left that I will never drink

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Warhammer 30k: Bring Your Own Busch (Also, CHEAT)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

General Olloth posted:

I just want to add you should BYOB but if not there is always two Busch lights left that I will never drink

Finish your 30k army so I can come over and drink them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Finish your 40k army so we can play with good rules and fewer warcrimes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Once he's finished he'll play a good game, like Dropzone Commander

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Once he's finished he'll play a good game, like Dropzone Commander

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Okay but you have to double fist them

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What's the tier list for GW models that you can drink out of

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

What's the tier list for GW models that you can drink out of

S-Tier: Hencoe’s hollow Warlord Titan leg

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

General Olloth posted:

Someone change the umbrella to say Busch Light

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

panascope posted:

Someone change the umbrella to say Busch Light

:captainpop:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
would i be able to use primary space marnes as a proxy for 30k dudes?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

would i be able to use primary space marnes as a proxy for 30k dudes?

Yeah sure

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Only if you paint them as Raven Guard imo.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
what if theyre painted as black templar could i just say theyre raven guards?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

what if theyre painted as black templar could i just say theyre raven guards?

Only if I’m allowed to smash death bunker casualties with a ball peen hammer.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
only if i get to put all your models in my mouth pregame

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

only if i get to put all your models in my mouth pregame

30k games are traditionally initiated by open mouth kissing and snowballing a tactical marine between the participants, so that’s really encouraged if anything.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
intriguing

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Good news guys!

From now on we can play games set in the Horus Heresy without having to play 30K!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Thanqol posted:

Good news guys!

They really dropped the ball by calling it "Grand Master Edition" rather than "Warmaster Edition".

:mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

They really dropped the ball by calling it "Grand Master Edition" rather than "Warmaster Edition".

:mediocre:

They probably couldn't come to a licensing agreement with Busch Light.