Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yo Days Gone looks WAAAAAAAAY better than the debut I saw. I mean I'm still skeptical because I get bored of open world games fast but dang, it would be great if this is good and manages to be uniquely dangerous. They're saying all the right things in the trailer but we'll see.

I hope it's good, it reminds me of Dead Rush which was another open world zombie game that actually did get canned. That one was cool because it was built around having to maintain your ride to survive and your car would be falling apart at all times from zombies hanging off the still open door as you and your coop buddy rush back in to drive off after looting a place and stuff. It seemed crazy awesome even in the earliest footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think Days Gone has a lot of potential. I hope it’s good. I still love zombies deep down even if they’ve been completely run into the ground by people who have zero creativity in the genre.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yo just reporting back, Broforce after the update is like a whole new game. Play it if you haven’t. It’s gooooood.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy and I am so glad they brought back the Uncharted 2 dev who hates trains :allears:

Also, that Asav beatdown was so goddamn satisfying

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think Days Gone has a lot of potential. I hope it’s good. I still love zombies deep down even if they’ve been completely run into the ground by people who have zero creativity in the genre.

:same:

I can understand people being skeptical completely though, what I saw like five years ago was very rough and didn't really show off any of the survival stuff in any way beyond "shoot a lot of zombies then run away if you run out of ammo."

With how popular team games are now I wish the folks who did SWAT IV could get a chance to do that zombie game they were planning where you played as a SWAT team that had to rescue people and basically do all of the objectives and things you'd have to do to survive a zombie apocalypse besides just shooting zombies. I remember it was canned because 2K was like "we don't think zombies will be big this year." This was said literally directly between Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake coming out and the release of Resident Evil 4. :wtc:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yo Days Gone looks WAAAAAAAAY better than the debut I saw. I mean I'm still skeptical because I get bored of open world games fast but dang, it would be great if this is good and manages to be uniquely dangerous. They're saying all the right things in the trailer but we'll see.

I hope it's good, it reminds me of Dead Rush which was another open world zombie game that actually did get canned. That one was cool because it was built around having to maintain your ride to survive and your car would be falling apart at all times from zombies hanging off the still open door as you and your coop buddy rush back in to drive off after looting a place and stuff. It seemed crazy awesome even in the earliest footage.

people poo poo on horizon and god of war before they were released to critical/fan acclaim, so I'm not willing to write off any first party sony stuff right now. their prerelease stuff has been a little iffy (hell, this thread was torn on the trailer for tlou2 as well) but the games have been on point

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neo Rasa posted:

:same:

I can understand people being skeptical completely though, what I saw like five years ago was very rough and didn't really show off any of the survival stuff in any way beyond "shoot a lot of zombies then run away if you run out of ammo."

With how popular team games are now I wish the folks who did SWAT IV could get a chance to do that zombie game they were planning where you played as a SWAT team that had to rescue people and basically do all of the objectives and things you'd have to do to survive a zombie apocalypse besides just shooting zombies. I remember it was canned because 2K was like "we don't think zombies will be big this year." This was said literally directly between Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake coming out and the release of Resident Evil 4. :wtc:

Did you see the hour long gameplay footage? Not sure if that was one of the links above but it looks suuuuuper fun to me! I’m a sucker for open world games though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

people poo poo on horizon and god of war before they were released to critical/fan acclaim, so I'm not willing to write off any first party sony stuff right now. their prerelease stuff has been a little iffy (hell, this thread was torn on the trailer for tlou2 as well) but the games have been on point

Every generation has its Lair. :D I think just it on the surface seeming so similar to Last of Us at that early point is what made me so skeptical and down on it. Like Sony also gave us The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne relatively close to each other. Two games about secret Victorian werewolves hunted by a top secret religious blood cult that are themselves cursed by an ancient monstrous bloodlines. Definitely a case where one is remembered a little more fondly than the other. :D

Kilometers Davis posted:

Did you see the hour long gameplay footage? Not sure if that was one of the links above but it looks suuuuuper fun to me! I’m a sucker for open world games though.

I'm watching it now it does indeed look rad. :O

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This stuff does seem to come in pairs with Sony. Victorian werewolves, post-apocalyptic zombies, ninjas (Tsushima/Shadows Die Twice). I wonder how far that stretches back?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shawn layden gave a e3 preview interview.

No new hardware
3rd party partners and even indies will have bulk of stage time
1st party will be Deep dives on death stranding, tlou2, ghosts of tsushima, and spiderman

No mention of any surprises or anything but maybe he's being poker faced and trying to play down hype :iiam:

Daysgone guys interviews this month being indicative of a limited e3 showing seems accurate

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kinda hoping for another 10 year console cycle so I don't have to buy another system any time soon :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sony’s lineup for the next two years looks like nonstop homeruns, I hope they hold off on the ps5 for a couple years to keep this streak going

Honestly I think we’ve gotten to the point where the hatdware’s good enough to visualize anything a developer can imagine. In any game now I can see a mountain from a mile away and every blade of grass in between and run to the same mountain for five minutes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 12, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Policenaut posted:

This stuff does seem to come in pairs with Sony. Victorian werewolves, post-apocalyptic zombies, ninjas (Tsushima/Shadows Die Twice). I wonder how far that stretches back?

I think it's just one of those things where Sony is such a big company different branches follow trends independently and come to the same rough conclusion. I think it goes back pretty far honestly and, just looking at North America you can see it in the games they choose to localize in addition to just ones they made internally.

Battle Arena Toshinden/Tobal No. 1

Wipeout/Cyber Sled

PaRappa the Rapper/Bust-A-Groove

Champions of Norrath/Untold Legends

MAG/SOCOM 4

The Order/Bloodborne

Tsuhima/Shadows Die Twice

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

whats ghosts of tsushima

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

whats ghosts of tsushima

Sucker punch game about a real mongol invasion of a japanese island where you play as the founder of ninjutsu who lead a guerrilla war against them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's just one of those things where Sony is such a big company different branches follow trends independently and come to the same rough conclusion. I think it goes back pretty far honestly and, just looking at North America you can see it in the games they choose to localize in addition to just ones they made internally.

Battle Arena Toshinden/Tobal No. 1

Wipeout/Cyber Sled

PaRappa the Rapper/Bust-A-Groove

Champions of Norrath/Untold Legends

MAG/SOCOM 4

The Order/Bloodborne

Tsuhima/Shadows Die Twice

Shadows is probably not a sony exclusive given it announced at the game awards instead of a day later at psx.
Nobody announces exclusives ambiguously either cause people get crazy mad*

*ambiguously in the sense of "this is not exclusive...whoops it is" vs like "this is only on playstation...1 year later coming to xbox" cause xbox's whole pr plan is based on lying about the latter

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 12, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Sucker punch game about a real mongol invasion of a japanese island where you play as the founder of ninjutsu who lead a guerrilla war against them

I was sad that Netflix Marco Polo series got cancelled because with how accelerated they were with when historical events took place season three would have probably had that happen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly I liked the long 360/ps3 lifecycle. I hope it repeats

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Shadows is probably not a sony exclusive given it announced at the game awards instead of a day later at psx.
Nobody announces exclusives ambiguously either cause people get crazy mad

Okay then Tsushima/Nioh (I know it just came out on Steam). :D

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Nobody announces exclusives ambiguously either cause people get crazy mad

Didn't Sony announce FF7 Remastered at PSX a couple years back and it came out on both PC and PS4?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the console publishers are more concerned with keeping their games off the competitor's box than they are with their 2nd/3rd party games appearing on pc too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony announces a ton of multi plat games thats not my point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I do agree that this generation Sony has published a ton of multi-platinum games.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was the PS3 long? Wikipedia says the ps2 came out 2000, the PS3 2006 and the ps4 2013, so the ps2 was 6 years and the PS3 7 years

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 12, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PS3 felt really long because we outgrew it pretty quick and it had a lot of failings that held it back, also because of the recession no one wanted to buy a new console so we just stuck it out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the economy was the major force driving the length of the gen. 08-10 no wide market for a 400 dollar console existed

Steve Yun posted:

Was the PS3 long? Wikipedia says the ps2 came out 2000, the PS3 2006 and the ps4 2014, so the ps2 was 6 years and the PS3 7 years

ps4 launched in 2013 8 years after ps3 launched

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Has any system topped the Neo Geo in terms of the company that made the system still publishing games on it for 15 years?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the economy was the major force driving the length of the gen. 08-10 no wide market for a 400 dollar console existed

ps4 launched in 2013 8 years after ps3 launched

November 2006 to November 2013 is 7 years

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Order 1886 might not be a good game but it is still cool as hell fight me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

Didn't Sony announce FF7 Remastered at PSX a couple years back and it came out on both PC and PS4?

The PC port came out in 98 or something, it got patched up a bit and put on Steam in 2012, then they went and announced a PS4 port of that at PS Experience 2014.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I remember FFVII and VIII having PC ports back in the day, they were just unknown/lovely. Like, I think VIII somehow was 5 CDs?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

NNick posted:

I didn't like it but was honestly surprised at the hate it got from people. It's very much a peak "PlayStation Experience" kind of game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NNick posted:

It’s one of my favorite PS4 exclusives :hfive:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I could say the same about your posts expressing opinions that aren't mine.

I think you and I probably agree on things more than you know.

I get that you love God of War and that you hate NieR. I've played both those games and have my opinions as well. But dropping a single sentence turd on someone who's looking for advice isn't really expressing an opinion, it's just being a buzzkill.

Renoistic posted:

I fell off W3 hard after 40 hours and never returned. Just too many small annoyances. Then I started playing Horizon and noticed several of the same flaws and abandoned ship after reaching the capital.

GoW is pretty good though. A little too much to do for the amount of actual content, but it's still balanced well enough for me to probably Platinum it. I'm not sure I'll finish Niefelheim though.

Yeah, Witcher 3 and Horizon both lost me. I really should finish them but, eh...

God of War kept me interested until the end but there were definitely some slog moments where I questioned why I was still playing.

beep by grandpa posted:

I like this thread, everyone's chill and positive and not in that creepy disingenuous hugbox way so I'm gonna hang here a bit hello :tipshat:

We're getting better, but I'm sure there will be a relapse any day now.

beep by grandpa posted:

Gamer confession: I thought Celeste was another dime a dozen LOL RETRO ugly low pixel count shovelware when I first saw it (I love good pixel art, usually of the 16-32bit era the most). I HATE the way 1001 spikes looks and thought it was just a clone of that. I bought it anyway cause it looked Actually Fun in the super best friends' look at it and I wanted something simple to play while on the phone with my girlfriend where I didn't can't to pay much attention to it...

Yeah 30 hours later it's easily my goty2018 so far. That games a masterpiece and when it first got into its subject matter, that I don't wanna spoil, I kinda rolled my eyes like oh boy really?? Nope, that was absolutely they best, most accurate but respectfully good handling of it they possibly could have done. What a game.

Agreed. If Monster Hunter hadn't come out Celeste would be my goty.

Motto posted:

optimists get disappointed, pessimists get surprised.

I'm surprised I didn't like God of War more; it lived up to my low expectations.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yo just reporting back, Broforce after the update is like a whole new game. Play it if you haven’t. It’s gooooood.

Good to know. I still play this with friends but it's always been broken as poo poo.

Samuringa posted:

Just finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy and I am so glad they brought back the Uncharted 2 dev who hates trains :allears:

Also, that Asav beatdown was so goddamn satisfying

I thought the Asav fights were something special, and I legit think they developed them that way to prep new melee tech for 2LoU.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What is the consensus on the new Assasins Creed, its on sale for 35 on store. Is it worth it?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NNick posted:

its poo poo from an rear end in a top hat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is the consensus on the new Assasins Creed, its on sale for 35 on store. Is it worth it?

Super duper worth it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Did I read that post up correctly that we're going to get a poo poo load of new stuff about DEATH STRANDING and perhaps even no gameplay and that got like no burn in this thread after that? Ha

Also games are you guys playing this weekend :gaming: :sonic: :ps4: :masterchiefhellyeah:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

Was the PS3 long? Wikipedia says the ps2 came out 2000, the PS3 2006 and the ps4 2013, so the ps2 was 6 years and the PS3 7 years

Those are just the launch dates. Both the PS2 and PS3 had games released WELL after their successors launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those are just the launch dates. Both the PS2 and PS3 had games released WELL after their successors launched.

Some maybe a bit too much after their successors launched...