Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That sounds like a bad gig, are you sure you aren't punch drunk from this manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

stubborn, brain-damaged, coached by a senile old man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i stopped reading ippo during the woli fight and just read this thread. i read the couple of chapters of him being broken to see if it was legit lol

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So I saw the translation for chapter 1216 and...I'm feeling a little nervous about possible story direction.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ippos gonna start playing football?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ippo's gonna beat out the middleman and punch himself in the face until he dies while kamogawa watches approvingly

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hypocrisy posted:

So I saw the translation for chapter 1216 and...I'm feeling a little nervous about possible story direction.

NOW you're feeling nervous?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

NOW you're feeling nervous?
He's very aware of the hypocrisy, you see.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
get back in the ring bitch

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
by refusing to die of boxing-induced brain damage, ippo is demonstrating insufficient samurai spirit

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone talk to morikawa about the manga hes writing

i feel like ive asked this already

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

does anyone talk to morikawa about the manga hes writing

i feel like ive asked this already

Angelo Dundee bursts in the door: "You're blowing it, son! You're blowing it!"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

get back in the ring bitch

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anyone remember how poo poo the woli fight was lol

well im going through ashita no joe a little bit again bc of megalo box and the harimau arc is so loving blindingly dumb. the rest of the manga is , to be succinct, a masterpiece - so i have no possible loving idea why this arc is so insanely ridiculous compared to the rest

look at this poo poo lol

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Biting Joe at least makes sense, more so than the rope to rope leaping punches or the double-backwards-somersault-with-a-twist uppercuts.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Eight-Six posted:

Biting Joe at least makes sense, more so than the rope to rope leaping punches or the double-backwards-somersault-with-a-twist uppercuts.

yeah lmao theres just an incredibly bizarre feeling reading the commentators slow motion watching him do a double standing flip to like, 5 chapters later, working on a somber storyline where joe suicidally faces his destiny against jose

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

it is insanely ridiculous how much of HnI is "Ashita no Joe, but much longer and a bit worse"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. Is Ippo gonna watch someone who should have stopped boxing like 5 fights ago get horribly injured in the ring? And will he respond to this by thinking "I must take up boxing again to honor his spirit."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should go full rocky 4 and have him die cause of ippos hesitation

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Has more of this actually been translated/released because I feel like I haven't seen it for months. Did the folks who do that get as fed up as the rest of us? It's still an illness I don't want to quit yet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Has more of this actually been translated/released because I feel like I haven't seen it for months. Did the folks who do that get as fed up as the rest of us? It's still an illness I don't want to quit yet.

We're up to chapter 1220. We haven't had an official translation since 1204. I think it's safe to say that almost everyone has given up on HnI.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's kind of amazing, even bleach got speed scans till the end.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

That's kind of amazing, even bleach got speed scans till the end.

Bleach at least had a lot of fanservice taking centre stage. This is just... meh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, to its credit Bleach had some mondo jugs. Ippo has a mondo rod but you can't really show that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah, to its credit Bleach had some mondo jugs. Ippo has a mondo rod but you can't really show that.

Ippo starts to be published on the internet from servers located outside of Japan, so his wang can be displayed in all its glory.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
speaking of translations, 1205-1210 are out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Prepare yourselves for 1000 chapters of Ippo as a second, and then another 1000 chapters of Ippo coming out of retirement.

Martinez will still be the champ.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
End of the manga is a delirious punch-drunk Ippo claiming that he is now "strong" as he punches the 80 year-old Martinez out of his wheelchair at a retirement home

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ippo reveals the final form of his new dempsey, but it's just him twitching on the floor while he dies of a seizure

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Martinez will still be the champ.

Speaking of which, when's the last time he turned up?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Vagabundo posted:

Speaking of which, when's the last time he turned up?

wasnt it back just before ippo fought the world rank guy. like the opponent calls up Martinez to see what his thoughts on Ippo were.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I still want to see Madhouse animate the Woli fight haha

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo and Kumi need to have some relationship advancement now that he isn't being beaten into a deep sleep as their excuse to be around each other. THEY GOT THE FEELS FOR EACH OTHER. Let them not be horrific awkward messes around each other moving forward. The heart shaped rock in the road they tripped over is, maybe funny, probably ironic, either way what a simple man you are ippo.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Good soup! posted:

I still want to see Madhouse animate the Woli fight haha

As much as people complain about the Woli fight, I would bet anything that the same people would love to watch an animated version, if only for the laughs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be curious to see a Woli OVA happen because, like, Madhouse doesn't do anything technically super impressive with any of the fights, but goddamn do they feel so... physical.

Super Eyepatch Wolf said something in his video about why you should watch the series but for real, the fights in Ippo have a strength that you rarely get from normal anime. Like, you don't get this vibe from an anime adaptation from any Battle/Sports Manga unless they pour in the motherfucking sakuga. It doesn't feel like that with Ippo. When Sendo starts beating the poo poo out of Ippo here it's not just the animation aspects that, while solid but fairly average for Madhouse, they are very consistent and, summed for some very impressive audio editing (as a audio/recording engineer, I am constantly loving awed with how much the audio edits enhance the fights), you get the whole visceral package. Also bonus for Masaya Onosaka (Sendo's VA) bringing in the hot-blooded screams home.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wark Say posted:

I'd be curious to see a Woli OVA happen because, like, Madhouse doesn't do anything technically super impressive with any of the fights, but goddamn do they feel so... physical.

Super Eyepatch Wolf said something in his video about why you should watch the series but for real, the fights in Ippo have a strength that you rarely get from normal anime. Like, you don't get this vibe from an anime adaptation from any Battle/Sports Manga unless they pour in the motherfucking sakuga. It doesn't feel like that with Ippo. When Sendo starts beating the poo poo out of Ippo here it's not just the animation aspects that, while solid but fairly average for Madhouse, they are very consistent and, summed for some very impressive audio editing (as a audio/recording engineer, I am constantly loving awed with how much the audio edits enhance the fights), you get the whole visceral package. Also bonus for Masaya Onosaka (Sendo's VA) bringing in the hot-blooded screams home.

The whole opening sequence of the Champion Road movie was badass, basically the ending of that same fight re-cut.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Say what you want about how Morikawa's story direction, but the sound direction and impact of the animation can never be understated.

That Works posted:

The whole opening sequence of the Champion Road movie was badass, basically the ending of that same fight re-cut.

That sequence still gives me chills. The slowdown on Sendo's face as Ippo is doing the Dempsey Roll is goddamn BRUTAL, as well as Sendo's bounce off the ring with the shockwave effect that really makes it clear just how devastating Ippo's punches really are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ippo reveals the final form of his new dempsey, but it's just him twitching on the floor while he dies of a seizure

The final form is to time his Dempsey Roll so that it coincides with his Grand Mal seizures, allowing him to achieve levels of strength and jerky speed the human body normally can't handle.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I am disappointed that he didn't get to show off a complete version of the dempsey thanks to being a dumb tank his entire career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I am disappointed that he didn't get to show off a complete version of the dempsey thanks to being a dumb tank his entire career.

Blame Kamogawa for that, not Ippo.