Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Ron Howard didn't even really direct it, he was brought in while they were still shooting after the first two directors were fired. They also hired an acting coach for the lead because they were "concerned" with his performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Crank up the smarm and slap on the DreamWorks face and we're golden.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MizPiz posted:

They also hired an acting coach for the lead because they were "concerned" with his performance.

Yeah, cause he wasn't clicking well with the comedic tone L&M we're going for.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

InediblePenguin posted:

it's not their fault she died after they made the movie and now they have to change their plans

I think the problem is they didn't change their plans enough. They didn't cut any of her performance in The Last Jedi, which I guess could be considered respectful of her, but sets up for weirdness in the 3rd movie. Maybe they've got a really dramatic demise planned, but I think we're going to see an opening battle montage with cutting room floor footage of her looking up surprised, a big CGI explosion, and everyone is sad. That or Radar walking in to sombering tell everyone that General Organa's transport was shot down over the Sea of Japan.

I kind of get it, even though I wasn't happy with the results. They really wanted that last scene with Leia and Luke, which required her to survive all the other opportunities to kill off her character.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Eric Garland, writer of the tweetstorm hailed as The New Federalist Papers, is now using his premium twitter account to say Alex Jones and the Manaforts were involved with 9/11 and Russia did Sandy Hook
https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/995000752216203264?s=21

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Pretty sure they’ve confirmed that Fisher will not be in IX in any shape or form. I’m willing to bet that the opening scroll will tell us that her character was assasinated off screen and that will kick off some sort of revenge story for the main leads.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the problem is they didn't change their plans enough. They didn't cut any of her performance in The Last Jedi, which I guess could be considered respectful of her, but sets up for weirdness in the 3rd movie. Maybe they've got a really dramatic demise planned, but I think we're going to see an opening battle montage with cutting room floor footage of her looking up surprised, a big CGI explosion, and everyone is sad. That or Radar walking in to sombering tell everyone that General Organa's transport was shot down over the Sea of Japan.

I kind of get it, even though I wasn't happy with the results. They really wanted that last scene with Leia and Luke, which required her to survive all the other opportunities to kill off her character.

Yeah; the audio commentary for TLJ has Rian Johnson saying that they just really didn't want to cut any of Carrie out of the film. Not just for the Luke/Leia scene, but also so they could just honor her last performance.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I swear every loving time...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

Pretty sure they’ve confirmed that Fisher will not be in IX in any shape or form. I’m willing to bet that the opening scroll will tell us that her character was assasinated off screen and that will kick off some sort of revenge story for the main leads.

They might send her on a diplomatic mission in the outer rim to rally support or something like that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Honestly, I think the "Post Sequel" films (you know they're gonna make 'em) will be better. Right now Disney has no seemingly coherent plan for what to do with the main series post Lucasfilm. They're seemingly content just letting directors play legos with the conventions of what "Star Wars" is, and it's turning into a jumbled mess of one Director deciding to do one thing in a particular tone, just for the next to come along and do the exact opposite. JJ Abrams made a hard core homage to A New Hope (Or just copied it if you wanna be like that), and then Rian Johnson came along and threw a lot of the conventions out the window and turned away from a lot of stuff that was held as fundamental to the series ("Light vs. Dark" turned into a complex gradient with no real pure black or pure white). The series has severe whiplash right now, and it's not even between to decent extremes.

On the other hand the "New Prequels" are doing pretty well and telling good stories (hopefully this doesn't jinx Solo) because they get to be quick, self contained snip-its of stories that don't need to fit the greater narrative any more than simply "It happened before, or between, XYZ". Hopefully once this last trilogy is over Disney decides to just turn the main series into a bunch of actual serials that don't need to a continuous narrative. Do something like James Bond where the movies may be tacitly connected, but are more designed to stand on their own. Or if they do stick with the Trilogy system they decide to give one set of directors/writers/producers the freedom to do a full treatment of the trilogy arc so that it's more cohesive.

Although, they might also try for the Marvel system of making a series of "Phases" with capstone movies every 5 years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hanales posted:

There is a movie coming out called revenge in which women are portrayed as tough. The company decided to take YouTube comments from their first trailer and put them on their new trailer.

It’s basically iosm the trailer and pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/3FuDnAbDbrY

:perfect:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Laughing so hard at the YouTube comments about that YouTube comment trailer.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Well, that doesn't make any sense. She has both the "use me for anything" box and one of the limiting boxes checked. At least within the text of the document, that's contradictory.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Push El Burrito posted:

Laughing so hard at the YouTube comments about that YouTube comment trailer.

They're as bad as the comments in the video, surprising I know.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

this might as well be this card

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

They're as bad as the comments in the video, surprising I know.

While simultaneously claiming that the comments in the video aren't real/were made only by trolls/were cherrypicked.

It's really amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rogue One is great and Solo will probably be fine, but holy poo poo The Last Jedi was not a good movie.

The major character who will absolutely have to die at some point very soon....dies, in a emotional and well played out manner aaaaaaand then they bring her back awkwardly and now will need to kill her off-screen or in a manner completely devoid of emotion.

But yeah, Solo's going to be good. Has Ron Howard ever made a bad movie?

Have you looked at his IMDB page? Director of such classics as The DaVinci Code, Splash and the live action How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Apollo 13 and Rush and Willow.

Ron Howard is not a bad director. He's just had absolutely no wiggle room on Solo what with being a last minute call in and the Kennedy-led executives calling all the shots.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Have you looked at his IMDB page? Director of such classics as The DaVinci Code, Splash and the live action How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Splash? Really? You're lumping Splash in with the Grinch?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Splash? Really? You're lumping Splash in with the Grinch?

Splash was awesome though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.facebook.com/BeltonHyVee/posts/1713965415317053

"Bring your kids for a photo with a skinned gator at the grocery store"

https://imgur.com/a/sp2j14V

jivjov has a new favorite as of 20:02 on May 12, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Aramek posted:

Crank up the smarm and slap on the DreamWorks face and we're golden.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

jivjov posted:

https://www.facebook.com/BeltonHyVee/posts/1713965415317053

"Bring your kids for a photo with a skinned gator at the grocery store"

https://imgur.com/a/sp2j14V

Like, I eat meat. I don't hunt, but I've eaten deer prepared by the hunter who killed it, and if I was in a restaurant that served alligator I might order it out of curiosity. But somehow that still seems wrong.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Elfgames posted:

but why would you repress the memories of the best starwars movie?
I judge the quality by the number of Jedi killed, so AotC is second best.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Like, I eat meat. I don't hunt, but I've eaten deer prepared by the hunter who killed it, and if I was in a restaurant that served alligator I might order it out of curiosity. But somehow that still seems wrong.

Fried alligator is good.

That display is very strange.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if you haven't had a fried alligator poboy you're missing out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

if you haven't had a fried alligator poboy you're missing out

I live on the left coast, there's an amazing variety in cuisine, but the only poboys I've encountered are with oysters.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

I live on the left coast, there's an amazing variety in cuisine, but the only poboys I've encountered are with oysters.

"There's an amazing variety of cuisine where I live," and, "There is only one type of poboy where I live" are mutually exclusive statements. Like, not even a shrimp poboy? You live in a food desert.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had a gator poboy in a Pop Cajun sort of place in Silicon Valley, but it was only ok. Like meatier tilapia? I dunno, didn’t do it for me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

http://www.thegumbopotla.com/menu.php

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

"There's an amazing variety of cuisine where I live," and, "There is only one type of poboy where I live" are mutually exclusive statements. Like, not even a shrimp poboy? You live in a food desert.

There's probably shrimp poboys, I don't go to a lot of southern cuisine places, and when I do I'm mostly looking at the BBQ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Specifically I live in the Bay Area, so it's hilarious to call it a food desert. The variety just tends to be more keyed towards incredibly specific geographic areas of Asia.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skwirl posted:

Specifically I live in the Bay Area, so it's hilarious to call it a food desert.

No. The distinction between an area having plentiful food types and a lack of food types is poboy variety.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skwirl posted:

Specifically I live in the Bay Area, so it's hilarious to call it a food desert. The variety just tends to be more keyed towards incredibly specific geographic areas of Asia.

Nola in PA often has them as specials, if you care anywhere near that much.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

http://www.southerncomfortkitchen.net/

Seriously, give it a go.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah, your niche Southern cuisine isn't covered but cuisine from all over the world is. Variety isn't the same as "my specific favorite dish is covered".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not going to make a specific journey to eat at a food truck, that's entirely counter to the idea of food trucks. But if I see that near my vicinity I'll get a gator poboy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, your niche Southern cuisine isn't covered but cuisine from all over the world is. Variety isn't the same as "my specific favorite dish is covered".

I actually don't particularly like poboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

poboys are insanely good

southern cuisine is the only good part of living in the south