Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

If you use fast food kiosks or self checkouts you're no better than a scab imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where i live you cant use the self checkout things at the grocery store if youre buying alcohol so they might as well not even exist

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Where I live you can use it but someone has to come over and check your ID, so I only use it when I'm buying alcohol just so that they spent that money on the machine for nothing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Back when Jack in the Box had the self serve kiosk, that poo poo took 4 times as long to use it to go through the menus. They tempted you with free tacos, though!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

seiferguy posted:

Back when Jack in the Box had the self serve kiosk, that poo poo took 4 times as long to use it to go through the menus. They tempted you with free tacos, though!

Emphasis on had, the one the JitB by my college campus was gone under a month so clearly not even millenials or younger want to bother with that poo poo.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

then the old people using them-- who always still need an employee to help them at each step-- they're leading the slowdown i guess

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I shop at night so have no choice but to use self-service checkouts but in all other aspects :hai:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peeps who actually want to 100% have no human contact order with their phones, because they also tend to have a lotta brand loyalty, so they get apps and poo poo
peeps who want human contact go and talk to peeps

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the goddamn mcdonalds ones take like 15 button presses minimum to order a coffee, they suck

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Terror Sweat posted:

the goddamn mcdonalds ones take like 15 button presses minimum to order a coffee, they suck

the apps also suck

turns out software is not within the core competencies of mcdonalds corp, huh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the apps also suck

turns out software is not within the core competencies of mcdonalds corp, huh

The problem is complex, but a bit issue is always that corporate won't let you have a single, simple button on the main screen for the most common items as they're most commonly ordered, because you can't upsell that way

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

The problem is complex, but a bit issue is always that corporate won't let you have a single, simple button on the main screen for the most common items as they're most commonly ordered, because you can't upsell that way

I get it. If I couldn't just order a #1 with a push of a button and then pay for it on the next screen then the kiosk is already less useful than a cashier.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I get it. If I couldn't just order a #1 with a push of a button and then pay for it on the next screen then the kiosk is already less useful than a cashier.

yeah, one of the other big challenges is trying to identify and put a value/system on all the stuff humans just know about each other implicitly by body language and experience

the fact that it really seems to be getting a tepid adoption rate among the generations who literally came up swimming in web 2.0 and POS consumer-facing stuff is a pretty bad sign

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like you're going to be waiting any less with a digital order because you have to wait for them to cook the food anyway.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

They should make them sell only grab bags, you open palm smash the button and get a bag full of random greasy foods for $5 even

"gently caress off im eating"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should fire fast food out of a cannon at your house.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

reignonyourparade posted:

Where I live you can use it but someone has to come over and check your ID, so I only use it when I'm buying alcohol just so that they spent that money on the machine for nothing.

they have to do this for energy drinks in the uk now. i get id'd regularly despite being 30 and idk if i should be happy or not that is the case

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jose posted:

they have to do this for energy drinks in the uk now. i get id'd regularly despite being 30 and idk if i should be happy or not that is the case

I'm 40 and am overjoyed at the increasingly-rare times when I get carded buying booze.

I make up for the lower frequency of ID checking by buying booze a LOT more often than I did when I was younger.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jose posted:

*paedofinder general appears*

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

Are you me? My local Spar has such high labor churn that I get carded at least once a week despite going there every day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jose posted:

wait wat, e nergy drinks are carded??

wat the gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it probably involved a couple of kids dying from drinking like 30 cans in a day or something.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it probably involved a couple of kids dying from drinking like 30 cans in a day or something.

Those kids died in the most radical way possible and are heroes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

alas, 4Loko, your time was limited on this earth, you came at a time far before you were needed

alas

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I'm 40 and am overjoyed at the increasingly-rare times when I get carded buying booze.

I make up for the lower frequency of ID checking by buying booze a LOT more often than I did when I was younger.

Move to a college town lol, absolutely everybody gets carded here without exception. I went to Vegas and didn't get carded the whole time and it was super strange

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

its bullshit how a health card doesnt count as id

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

some guy i used to work night shift with almost did that to himself, showed up chugging energy drinks to wash down trucker pills and went home at first break because his heart was trying to burst out alien style

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lord of Pie posted:

some guy i used to work night shift with almost did that to himself, showed up chugging energy drinks to wash down trucker pills and went home at first break because his heart was trying to burst out alien style

lol, that dude probably had at least a gram of caffeine, I can't even imagine how disgusting that must feel, I would pray for death

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

poo poo, just look at theaters. Place I go to has six automated kiosks that let you buy your ticket and pay with a credit card in about a minute, but people will completely ignore them and wait in line for the box office 90% of the time.

the structure of American capitalism is uniquely based on ~the service economy~ by choice, and the service economy is a polite name for "pay someone minimum wage so they're too busy to revolt, and have them stand there while suburban moms scream at them to self-psychotherapy".

for this we need few, disused kiosks, and the ones which do exist to be advertising-driven Engagement Boost Guaranteed hellscapes that will inevitably require the intervention of someone who can be screamed at for the user-unfriendly design not only approved but specifically requested by upper management

the rest of the world gets pushbuttons and a cash acceptor like an '90s coke machine

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Weeping Wound posted:

alas, 4Loko, your time was limited on this earth, you came at a time far before you were needed

alas

4Loko was op so they had to nerf

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

wait wat, e nergy drinks are carded??

wat the gently caress

california cards you for buying spraypaint

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

california cards you for buying spraypaint

Same in Texas.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/11/609541010/ranchers-sour-on-trump-administration-over-proposal-to-bring-back-grizzly-bears

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It's harder when it's just a good policy that happens to continue under Trump.

Rather than right wing policies coming home to roost

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

[

WeAreTheRomans posted:

lol, that dude probably had at least a gram of caffeine, I can't even imagine how disgusting that must feel, I would pray for death

I tried that in college and it was annoying but nothing even like a drug

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol when lethal amounts of drugs are work equipment

see also cyberpunk dystopia thread

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

ikanreed posted:

It's harder when it's just a good policy that happens to continue under Trump.

Rather than right wing policies coming home to roost

I think it's kinda funny the one program trump keeps from obama is the one that harms the state economically.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/995680316458262533

lol wtf

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

America ... first?!? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LMAO, weren't they the ones who were slapped with a big fine for busting Iran sanctions?