Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Congrats silvergoose! And the thought of Food Chain Magnate as a Monopoly replacement is :frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rumda posted:

Has your sibling forgiven you yet?

Why? The Pacific Ocean has a fantastic cost/weight ratio!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Has there been any more news on that Betrayal at House on the Hill Legacy game that was announced a while back?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The expansion-only tiers for the second 7th Continent Kickstarter got about 75% of the backers that the first KS did, so the people who bought it liked it enough to commit more money. This isn't to say that it's good but that the first wave of KS backers did a good job self-selecting.

Dollars to donuts a large portion of those repeat backers hadn’t even played the game and are just completionists.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Agent Rush posted:

Has there been any more news on that Betrayal at House on the Hill Legacy game that was announced a while back?

This just in:

It will be bad.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can we just skip the "haha Rubitex shine on you crazy diamond" phase and move straight to his dumb racist posts that gets him probated/banned?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Dollars to donuts a large portion of those repeat backers hadn’t even played the game and are just completionists.

More likely is simply that the BGG rankings continue to be a testament to how much the industry has grown. The fact that literally 1/3+ of the Top 100 are games to have come out in the last 3 years (and straight up 50% of them from the last 4 years) just goes to show that more and more people are being reached, that games are finding their correct audiences easier, and that people fall in love immediately with the first couple things they play, just like people did when Catan first hit the scene. Sure, there's going to always be a degree of game design generally improving over time, so it makes sense that old games phase out eventually, but the speed in which games are shooting to the top is clearly going beyond that. In the current Top 10 there are only 2 games older than 2015. That's reach and popularity, not quality (though most of them are in fact pretty great, regardless if you think they're top 10 worth or not).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Merauder posted:

More likely is simply that the BGG rankings continue to be a testament to how much the industry has grown. The fact that literally 1/3+ of the Top 100 are games to have come out in the last 3 years (and straight up 50% of them from the last 4 years) just goes to show that more and more people are being reached, that games are finding their correct audiences easier, and that people fall in love immediately with the first couple things they play, just like people did when Catan first hit the scene. Sure, there's going to always be a degree of game design generally improving over time, so it makes sense that old games phase out eventually, but the speed in which games are shooting to the top is clearly going beyond that. In the current Top 10 there are only 2 games older than 2015. That's reach and popularity, not quality (though most of them are in fact pretty great, regardless if you think they're top 10 worth or not).

We agree, I was just commenting on how aggressively newcomers and old players alike will buy games and expansions and promos without ever having played them in the first place.

I would love to see a BGG list from like 2010-2013 before KS really took over and skewed everything. Or even a look at the top 100 trends over the years with all KS projects removed. It would definitely still show recency weighted rankings, but maybe with some better data overall to gauge quality.

Or if BGG weren’t an awful interface, better ways to search and create custom lists would be nice.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bottom Liner posted:

I would love to see a BGG list from like 2010-2013 before KS really took over and skewed everything.
K, gimme 10 dollars.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130831091848/https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet. Thanks. Gonna do some analysis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

We agree, I was just commenting on how aggressively newcomers and old players alike will buy games and expansions and promos without ever having played them in the first place.

I would love to see a BGG list from like 2010-2013 before KS really took over and skewed everything. Or even a look at the top 100 trends over the years with all KS projects removed. It would definitely still show recency weighted rankings, but maybe with some better data overall to gauge quality.

Or if BGG weren’t an awful interface, better ways to search and create custom lists would be nice.

If you want to go back a bit further, in March 2006 the top 10 was:

Puerto Rico
Euphrat & Tigris
Caylus
Power Grid
The Princes of Florence
El Grande
Die Macher
Ra
Age of Steam
Wallenstein

It's kind of depressing going back to my old geeklists and seeing the number of BGG regulars who are no longer with us. It's only been twelve loving years.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

If you want to go back a bit further, in March 2006 the top 10 was:

Puerto Rico
Euphrat & Tigris
Caylus
Power Grid
The Princes of Florence
El Grande
Die Macher
Ra
Age of Steam
Wallenstein

It's kind of depressing going back to my old geeklists and seeing the number of BGG regulars who are no longer with us. It's only been twelve loving years.

Something something the youth of today. On that list are two games I don't know, and 8 games I know to be very good to exceptional. Call me a grumpy old man if you want, I can take it.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Those games are still in the upper echelon of games.

Bgg rankings are pretty meaningless due to the way they are weighted. New bgg users are going to check out the hotness because it’s both in print and people are talking about it. As long as bgg grows linearly the top games will skew towards new stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We need our own top 100 that imports our BGG scores. Someone with some coding skill make it happen.

Jedit posted:

Puerto Rico
Euphrat & Tigris
Caylus
Power Grid
The Princes of Florence
El Grande
Die Macher
Ra
Age of Steam
Wallenstein

A good list. And not a single one could hit the top ten if released today :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

We need our own top 100 that imports our BGG scores. Someone with some coding skill make it happen.

A good list. And not a single one could hit the top ten if released today :(

I have owned all of them in the past, and own none of them now, which says a lot about me :)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have played most of those and think they are really good and will never play them again unless specifically asked to. I am the problem.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I still like and would happily play die macher, ra, and especially 4p tigris and euphrates.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I wish I could get my T&E on the table more often. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lorini posted:

I have owned all of them in the past, and own none of them now, which says a lot about me :)

I've sold off plenty of good games too, once you're worn out on a game or find something that suits you more no reason to hold on to it.

The 2009 BGG top 10 is probably one of the best. Well rounded and still representative of modern gaming the game's averaging 10-23 years age.

code:

Agricola (2007)

Puerto Rico (2002)

Power Grid (2004)

Twilight Struggle (2005)

Tigris & Euphrates (1997)

Dominion (2008)

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (2006)

El Grande (1995)

Caylus (2005)

Race for the Galaxy (2007) 

So looking over the list through the years all the suspected trends hold true:

Kickstarter games seemingly over represented by number of ratings/position

newer games averaging better scores for all of the above reasons

seemingly voting being pushed towards the extremes (1 or 10, little middle ground), which is a trend in every aspect of our society these days of course. Everything is becoming love it or hate it. Personally, my collection includes games from a 5-10, anything below that I wouldn't bother owning or keeping. I only keep 5-6s if they fill a specific niche, etc. I've ranked plenty of games in the 3-4 range though, and save 1s for the rare awful games just like I save 10s for my favorites.

Surprisingly:

In 2009: 42 of the top 100 were 5+ years old or more

in 2018: 51 of the top 100 are 5+ years old, 25 of which were older than 2009

Taking into account the amount of games released each year that is impressive staying power for the old blood that's still held high. Their number of ratings have mostly flattened out over time though, where new games are skyrocketing to huge numbers of ratings quickly.

The top ten:

in 2009: averaged about 5k ratings and needs a 7.92 Geek Rating, with user ratings averaging .1-.2 higher (biggest gap being .31)

in 2018: average about 15k ratings and needs an 8.008 Geek Rating, with user ratings being a much wider range (biggest gap being .7)

Thematic games have made a big surge across the board, as production value and mass market appeal have become increasingly important as the hobby grew. This goes hand in hand with the rise of Kickstarter too. Overall though, the Kickstarter effect isn't as negative as I thought it would be on the top 100, with the majority of them making it to the list are acceptable. The games that really stick out to me as outright bad are a split of Kickstarter and traditionally published stuff.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A couple of questions/comments about Istanbul. First a question:

How am I to understand this card? edit: ugh, see at end of post.

Does this mean if your stack is on a space, and you've arrived there by dropping off one assistant, to use this card you essentially take another assistant and make a third pile on that space, or do you add the second assistant to the one you dropped off on your previous turn? If it's the former, that you basically have a stack, and then each of the two assistants comprising their one 1-person stack, what then happens when you return to that space later? Can you only pick up one of the assistants that turn? It doesn't seem like a very useful card if that's the case.

Secondly, is the base game weighted very heavily towards whoever picks up the tile that allows you to re-roll your dice? In the dozen or so 2-player games I've played so far, it's basically a race to grab that tile, and whoever grabs it wins. It seems just slightly too powerful in that regard.

I've really enjoyed playing the game, but I wish it could be paced a bit more like a marathon than a 5k. Each player only needs, what... 25 or 30 turns to win? I suppose you can just arbitrarily increase the number of rubes required to win. Like Arboretum, it's a bit disappointing that once you get your engine up and running, as it were, the game is essentially over. I guess the lesson is to get the expansion so that the paths are all a bit more difficult.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Surprisingly:

In 2009: 42 of the top 100 were 5+ years old or more

in 2018: 51 of the top 100 are 5+ years old, 25 of which were older than 2009

I'm not entirely certain how surprising that is. There were a lot of good games released between 2005 and 2009.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

A couple of questions/comments about Istanbul. First a question:

How am I to understand this card? edit: ugh, see at end of post.

Does this mean if your stack is on a space, and you've arrived there by dropping off one assistant, to use this card you essentially take another assistant and make a third pile on that space, or do you add the second assistant to the one you dropped off on your previous turn? If it's the former, that you basically have a stack, and then each of the two assistants comprising their one 1-person stack, what then happens when you return to that space later? Can you only pick up one of the assistants that turn? It doesn't seem like a very useful card if that's the case.

My take has been that you do your turn normally, you just move zero instead of 1-2. So you can simply pick up an assistant if there is one on the space you are on, for example after leaving one there the previous turn. Or if you picked up one last turn to act on that space, you can drop one off again.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 12, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011

The way to understand that card is: In phase 1 of your turn (the one where you would usually move 1 or 2 steps), you don't move. So you "end your movement where you started it". If in the previous turn you had dropped off an assistant there, you get to pick them up again in phase 3 of your turn (the one where you pick up or drop an assistant to use the location). You will never ever have more than 1 lone assistant on a location.

The red tile will feel strong with newer players, but the truth is, this game is tight. Every wasted turn could potentially lose you the game. The Black Market and Tea House are strong locations (and made stronger by the red tile), but they can be outperformed by careful planning of good combos.

It is true that in the base game, there are only a small number of viable paths to victory. Yeah, the first expansion owns, and the second one is also pretty good. You should get them both if you like the game.

Game length feels reasonably well balanced to me, to not over-reward big engines. It is very satisfying to win with a small cart and few mosque tiles, simply because you managed to get just enough resources, while others were building their engine. The longer the game, the less viable this becomes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is it possible to make BGG give you a current top 100 list that only includes games released X+ years ago?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Is it possible to make BGG give you a current top 100 list that only includes games released X+ years ago?

Search by date range and sort by ranking

Jedit posted:

I'm not entirely certain how surprising that is. There were a lot of good games released between 2005 and 2009.

It’s surprising they’ve stayed high on the list given the cult of the new and hobby growth with newcomers overwhelmingly gravitating to equally new games.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Search by date range and sort by ranking
:doh:

Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would put maybe two of those games from 2009 in a top 10 list. Probably not even a top 50. El Grande would probably stay as I don't think any modern game has surpassed it as an action selection area control. But every other game in the list I find a modern design just does it better.

Agricola (2007) A Feast for Odin (2016)

Puerto Rico (2002) Eminent Domain (2011)

Power Grid (2004) Indonesia (2005)

Dominion (2008) all deck builders are trash

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (2006) Any of Eklund's tableau builders (2012--)

Caylus (2005) Keyflower (2012)

Race for the Galaxy (2007) Eminent Domain (2011)

Indonesia being the oldest game. I'm not saying any of those games are bad (except Dominion but personal bias aside) but I think the benefit of the Kickstarter era and the boom of new players is that niche games are getting discovered (Splotter) or reprinted (Container) which I find far more interesting than the more standard Euros that have dominated the boards for years.

It's kind of refreshing the direction things are going. Some hardcore types are lamenting the death of the German Euros while more people explore games from a wider degree of designs that never got any attention.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Eminent Domain not being a deck builder is news to me

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I prefer Chaos in the Old World to El Grande but that could be slightly apples to oranges.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Baller Ina posted:

Eminent Domain not being a deck builder is news to me

I should specify that "all market row deckbuilders are bad" but I hate Dominion as well just because it's boring. The way roles work in ED elevate it above all the Dominion/Ascendancy offspring drivel. Unlike most deckbuilders where your opponents' decisions never matter to your plan, it follows Race for the Galaxy in that your role selection is instrumental to how other players will react.

It's why I wish more games would take lessons from deckbuilders instead of building their game strictly as a deckbuilder.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
BREAKING NEWS

Rob Daviau and Eric Lang are collaborating on a new Cthulhu game themed around "shooting Cthulhu in the face" for CMON.

Prepare for Kickstarter to go apeshit

:circlefap: :toot:

:suicide:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

I would put maybe two of those games from 2009 in a top 10 list. Probably not even a top 50. El Grande would probably stay as I don't think any modern game has surpassed it as an action selection area control. But every other game in the list I find a modern design just does it better.

:words:

I haven't plyed El Grande, but Dominant Species seems to strike me as "Action Selection Area Control" and it is a loving amazingly awesome game which would absolutely make my personal top ten list.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The End posted:

BREAKING NEWS

Rob Daviau and Eric Lang are collaborating on a new Cthulhu game themed around "shooting Cthulhu in the face" for CMON.

2edgy4me

Played Optimates et Populares with my brother today. We both really dug the theme but are concerned that with repeat play and experience effective strategy will become limited, and things will just end up seesawing between the the two sides without a lot of advancement. As such, it seems stacked toward the Optimates in the long run. Looking forward to more games and hoping I'm wrong, though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've heard a lot of good things about Junk Art, is the plastic version ok? CSI has some for a decent price right now.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Agent Rush posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Junk Art, is the plastic version ok? CSI has some for a decent price right now.

Yeah it's fine - less chance of the pieces warping, cheaper, but it's not as cool and the VP tokens are a lot smaller and therefore worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The End posted:

BREAKING NEWS

Gross. Lang seems to be on a strictly downward trajectory and his position with CMON is becoming a steeper slope with each new game.

Agent Rush posted:

I'd say the wood pieces are a worthy upgrade in the $10 range or so, if it's a bigger gap than that go with the plastic.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

...Istanbul...

Secondly, is the base game weighted very heavily towards whoever picks up the tile that allows you to re-roll your dice? In the dozen or so 2-player games I've played so far, it's basically a race to grab that tile, and whoever grabs it wins. It seems just slightly too powerful in that regard.

A side note on this - for the Mosque tiles, you only need to spend one good, and have the other goods. So, for a two player game, the person who gets the first tile needs to have two red goods and spend one, and the person who gets the second tile needs to have four red goods and spend one. I missed this rule for at least ten plays, and it sounds like you might also be missing it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I can't believe they stole Bluebonic from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm visiting my family back home with my girlfriend (I live abroad). What's a good game for a group (any number of players from 3 - 6) of various ages from 11 to 60? Preferably a little meaty but not too heavy on language.
I'm taking Agricola but I'll probably house rule it so that the occupation and minor improvement cards are played open so others can help with language.
I got Codenames: Pictures which will work fine as long as we pick the right teams.