Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Start of Darkness literally begins with a group of paladins massacring a goblin tribe, though, including children, and they're fine.

It's fascinating how much of a story Rich can squeeze out of this super basic D&D ethics issue. It's like starting with the trolley problem and ending up with Eberron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rich said some of those paladins fell later. Which you could call a retcon but it's not like redcloak would have given a poo poo.

And yeah, alignment is a crappy dime store guitar, but he gets some great tunes out of it.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Was it for that specific act though, or that being the sort of person who'd commit a massacre those paladins were bound to eventually do something that would cause them to fall. When Miko killed Shojo she was immediately hit by a bolt of lightning from the heavens. I always figured it worked like that for any other disgraced paladin.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Rich said that Miko's fall got the special effects due to the particulars of it and that that's not the norm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Roland Jones posted:

Miko's fall got the special effects due to the gods being in it for the drama

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, that too, of course.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lot of people ITT who haven't backed the kickstarter and can't read How the Paladin Got his Scar until August.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lot of people ITT who haven't backed the kickstarter and can't read How the Paladin Got his Scar until August.

i have it in my email, must dig it up

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I imagine that a Paladin falling because he accidentally broke his Oath of Veganism at a restaurant wouldn't get struck by holy lightning, but someone killing their feudal lord and adoptive father is gonna get godfried

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ah, there it is.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galvanik posted:

Was it for that specific act though, or that being the sort of person who'd commit a massacre those paladins were bound to eventually do something that would cause them to fall. When Miko killed Shojo she was immediately hit by a bolt of lightning from the heavens. I always figured it worked like that for any other disgraced paladin.

I think he worded it as "some of those paladins went to lay on hands to fix up their wounds afterwards and found they couldn't" which definitely is saying yeah there's a level of poo poo you can be even to "evil races" that finds its way into Evil Act.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:ck5:#1121: Protection Racket

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reignonyourparade posted:

I think he worded it as "some of those paladins went to lay on hands to fix up their wounds afterwards and found they couldn't" which definitely is saying yeah there's a level of poo poo you can be even to "evil races" that finds its way into Evil Act.

I can see some of the gods getting a kick out of doing it that way too. No lighting bolt from the sky, no sudden clothing change, no warning that your gods have turned their backs on you until you try to call on them.

:neckbeard:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The passive aggressive Durkon memory mindslave battle has been pretty amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Saha and Zhou are v good characters yes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Holy poo poo Miko gets a badass moment

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 12, 2018

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
please stop spoiling the thing I'm gonna buy when it comes out in paper.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. I'd prefer not to have all the good bits spoiled.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The whole thing's good bits. Rich really outdid himself with that one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have no idea what Durkon is planning with this one last memory, and that only makes it all the more intriguing. And the fact that these latest few comics are coming more quickly than the once-per-week rate suggests that Rich has been thinking about this scene for a very long time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm thinking it's him confronting his mother over finding out what actually happened to his father.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, good catch

I notice that Nokrud seems to be getting less cacklingly evil as he gets these memories

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

MikeJF posted:

Hel was part of the god pact that created this world, they're all holding each other to that pact. The elf gods were incorporated later. The Dark One, on the other hand, is trying to unleash the Snarl.

The rules around the godsmoot aren't fundamental laws of nature, they're just an agreement they all signed up to.

it could be argued that something all the gods agreed to, is a fundamental law of nature.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I get the impression that the gods are just the gods of this particular setting and if you were to go to another world or whatever there'd be a different set of gods that made their own little playground there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Parahexavoctal posted:

it could be argued that something all the gods agreed to, is a fundamental law of nature.

You could, but it’s been explicitly stated that gods are perfectly capable of breaking the rules, and MAD is the main reason they don’t.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I wonder: if Durkon flashes to a memory of reading Explosive Runes, will Durkula be affected by them?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I wonder: if Durkon flashes to a memory of reading Explosive Runes, will Durkula be affected by them?

No, because it's not the appearance of the runes that makes them explosive. They're written using magic that reacts to being read. A memory of seeing something magical is not, itself, magical.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Bongo Bill posted:

No, because it's not the appearance of the runes that makes them explosive. They're written using magic that reacts to being read. A memory of seeing something magical is not, itself, magical.

counterpoint, spells are stored as memory and your ability to remember your arbitrary number of them is tied directly to your recall. This is lore.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1122.html

In which both sides foolishly believe they have the upper hand.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You'd think the clerics would have better will saves.

Also jeez how many people can you hypnotize in a dang round?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You'd think the clerics would have better will saves.

Also jeez how many people can you hypnotize in a dang round?
Spoilering for people who haven't read it yet.

I have no idea, but since Roy threw the sword twice, I'm guessing two rounds passed? And both Durkula and the green haired vampire seem to be doing the dominating (their eyes are glowing on panels 2, 3 and 6 of the 2nd page)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Damnit Hilgya wisdom is your core stat and will is your best save, what the hell!

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
That baby must have a great will save.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That baby is equipment

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I thought Belkar was wearing a ring that protected him from compulsion effects? I suppose he could be faking it for a chance to get close to Durkula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Greater Dispel can suppress magical items.