Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They made a cartoon, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They were making those movies on an assembly line to the extent that for 3 years straight we'd go see a Police Academy movie for my friend's birthday. Like every year around that time of year, there was Steve Guttenberg waiting to help us mark the passage of time and our miserable taste in movies.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Krispy Wafer posted:

They were making those movies on an assembly line to the extent that for 3 years straight we'd go see a Police Academy movie for my friend's birthday. Like every year around that time of year, there was Steve Guttenberg waiting to help us mark the passage of time and our miserable taste in movies.

Steve called it quits after the fourth one. The guy playing Tackleberry on the other hand? He was eternal. He even appeared in Mission to Moscow, while I imagine at that point even the rental audience had given up on the franchise.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mission to Moscow got theatrical release.

I know that because I saw it in the theatre with my friends.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They made a cartoon, you know.

Which I quite enjoyed.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Steve called it quits after the fourth one. The guy playing Tackleberry on the other hand? He was eternal. He even appeared in Mission to Moscow, while I imagine at that point even the rental audience had given up on the franchise.

There are actually three actors who appear in every single one of those movies: George Gaynes (Lassard), Michael Winslow (Jones), and David Graf (Tackleberry).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They're just so hard to hate. Even when they're bad I find myself watching them fondly. I think seeing the sixth one first has warped my mind.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hard to hate is a p good way of putting it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Veib posted:

I watched all Police Academy movies over two days with some friends and a lot of booze a while back. I highly recommend this, every time you think it couldn't possibly get any worse the next movie is right there to immediately prove you wrong.

uh, except for Citizens on Patrol you mean, which greatly exceeds the two movies before it and manages to be more entertaining than the first

The only one I can't remember almost anything about was City Under Siege, which I saw in a theater.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Police Academy 3: Back in Training introduced me to the idea of a short Asian man can score with a tall busty blonde woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jkWHo8D_s

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Police Academy 3: Back in Training introduced me to the idea of a short Asian man can score with a tall busty blonde woman.

Not 16 Candles?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw Police Academy 3 before Sixteen Candles. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which I quite enjoyed.

It was pretty ludicrous, but that was actually pretty fitting. They fought actual supervillains, which is also oddly fitting.

Is the time ripe for a Police Academy reboot? And the villain protagonist one, Crime Academy.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is the time ripe for a Police Academy reboot? And the villain protagonist one, Crime Academy.

A modern Police Academy film would be about the villains.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Imagine all the poo poo Tackleberry got away with before cell phone cameras were a thing. He would've been like Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Which one was Tackleberry?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Imagine all the poo poo Tackleberry got away with before cell phone cameras were a thing. He would've been like Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant.

The original Police Academy movie already had a "police brutality is funny" scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6OAh7W_-ZA

It also touched on casual/institutionalized racism in the police force and a whole bunch of other stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqyfM6xcXnI
(Also when the car flips upside down you can see through the grill that it doesn't even have an engine in it :v: )

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vicissitude posted:

Just saw this while browsing. Everyone freaks out when Cadet Barbara turns around except Tacklebury. He's a gun nut who knows the gun is safe because the cadet never chambered another shell.

I always thought he didn't duck because he's a loving nutter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

I always thought he didn't duck because he's a loving nutter.

Yeah, Tackleberry is a crazy Republican who is obsessed with guns and gun culture (he keeps a photo of Reagan on his bedside table at the academy and at one point he's wearing a Dirty Harry t-shirt) but he also has absolutely zero awareness of gun safety or gun safety protocols. The film starts with him working as a security guard and on his last night of work he fires blindly into a darkened room when he sees some people sneak in there (it turns out to be his own surprise going away party) and later in the movie we find out that not only does he sleep with a gun in his hand but he also keeps his finger on the trigger.

The film has a ton of casual racism and homophobia and a little nudity but it's actually fairly subtle and even restrained with a lot of its humour, with a lot of the gags happening off screen or in the background of a later shot. Tackleberry's character is a little over the top and I think he got even crazier in the other Police Academy films but he was never quite as bad as the lead character in the Sledge Hammer! TV show which came two years later.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tackleberry's character is a little over the top and I think he got even crazier in the other Police Academy films but he was never quite as bad as the lead character in the Sledge Hammer! TV show which came two years later.

Sledge Hammer! is over the top tongue in cheek and quite frankly the superior police show. Right up there with 'Police Squad'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kupachek posted:

Sledge Hammer! is over the top tongue in cheek and quite frankly the superior police show. Right up there with 'Police Squad'.

I loved Sledge Hammer back when I used to watch it on TV, I guess I worded that badly.

Also I just looked up the Wikipedia page for the series and surprisingly enough they pretty much never showed him shooting anyone dead.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Noticed something in Aliens.

Ferro, the dropship pilot, foreshadows her own death. When the marines wake up, Vazquez asks Ferro about Ripley. Her reply ends with a mocking, "Apparently, she saw an alien once."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYknBB_UVY&t=124s (2:05 here).

That describes her own fate. Later, she's flying, hears the cockpit door, turns around, sees an alien, and dies. She saw an alien once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tF529mmjnM

I'd bet that it's a deliberate set-up. James Cameron did have some subtle fun with these characters. Frost was named so because he's the marine that gets lit on fire.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ProperCoochie posted:

Noticed something in Aliens.

Ferro, the dropship pilot, foreshadows her own death. When the marines wake up, Vazquez asks Ferro about Ripley. Her reply ends with a mocking, "Apparently, she saw an alien once."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYknBB_UVY&t=124s (2:05 here).

That describes her own fate. Later, she's flying, hears the cockpit door, turns around, sees an alien, and dies. She saw an alien once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tF529mmjnM

I'd bet that it's a deliberate set-up. James Cameron did have some subtle fun with these characters. Frost was named so because he's the marine that gets lit on fire.

You might be reaching but I like where you're going.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I don't think you ever actually see Weirzbowski in the movie but his name gets yelled a lot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Where's Bowski?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You definitely see him in the mess hall scene, but he doesn't say anything.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Where's Bowski?

I used that as a password on this very site, but 1337'd up.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't think you ever actually see Weirzbowski in the movie but his name gets yelled a lot.

Weirzbowski is also in the mission briefing scene. At the end, after Gormon announces the short time frame and walks away, there's a brief moment of Weirzbowski giving Gormon the finger. Look to the far right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R800jPPenI

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Danlee posted:

I think it's Thanos turning the attack into butterflies and the flinch is because he wasn't sure if he would be able to

Bit late to the Infinity War party but that was Thanos's own attack that got thwarted, so it wasn't his doing. He was just expecting a counterattack that didn't come; Doctor Strange has an extremely defensive fighting style and it actually puts Thanos off his guard.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MichiganCubbie posted:

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

I've read 108 pages of thread without wanting to post but i just wanted to say this is brilliant.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Smiling Jack posted:

At first I was going to 'correct' this by saying he's the guy who makes the cornbread comments, but I went and double checked: that's Frost.

I dunno if the novelization guy was having a little joke himself (I am a fan of the series and also have Aspergers, so I seized on the novelization and read it multiple times), but when Weirzbowski dies in the novelization Ripley gets inwardly mad because 'she'd liked Weirzbowski'.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

CrRoMa posted:

I've read 108 pages of thread without wanting to post but i just wanted to say this is brilliant.

I clicked the original post and some of the other comments mention that Spielberg wouldn't have that much forethought, but this lands all on the screenwriter. It's standard plant and payoff technique used in screenwriting, establish something in an early scene or first act that can later be of use in later scenes or the final act. Luckily it's super subtle with Hammond (all off-screen) and works, not like some weapon shown onscreen earlier in the movie that would be the only thing that can kill the final boss or like a kid leaving a skateboard on the ground and someone later walks through and trips on it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maybe some scenes were cut that made Hammond’s act more obvious, but instead we had to wait 20 years for someone to figure it out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
David Koepp did a really good job writing the first two movies. I know people trash the second film (even though it is much better than 3 or World), but the deleted scenes would have added so much more to the film and Koepp was sad that they got left out. You had stuff like Roland's introduction in Mombasa and a drunken Ludlow being responsible for the baby Rex's broken leg that was filmed but never included in the final cut. I would have gladly left out the Godzilla homage in the last twenty minutes if it meant we could have gotten better development for guys like Roland, Ludlow and Nick.

If you want to know a ridiculous amount of stuff about the Jurassic Park franchise, Klayton Fioriti's channel is a goldmine. Here's a video on all the easter eggs you might have missed in The Lost World.

Imagine if the second movie had ended with them escaping the island, with the bull captured, and then start a hypothetical Spielberg directed 3rd film focusing entirely on the Rex and other dinosaur stowaways getting loose in San Diego.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 05:30 on May 16, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

David Koepp did a really good job writing the first two movies. I know people trash the second film (even though it is much better than 3 or World)

That's not exactly a high bar to pass.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
In Kung Fu Hustle when the beast is being freed, there are frogs/toads around the asylum in the background

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alhazred posted:

That's not exactly a high bar to pass.

No, the third film gets absurd to the point if parody, but the second film is still genuinely entertaining, even with the gymnastics scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All the Jurassic Park films are entertaining and extremely watchable but only the first one is what I’d call “good”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jestery posted:

In Kung Fu Hustle when the beast is being freed, there are frogs/toads around the asylum in the background

In Jaws they play a really subtle theme whenever Jaws is about to strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

David Koepp did a really good job writing the first two movies.

Isn't the second JP movie the one where a T-Rex chases everyone off a ship then is later found locked up in the hold?