Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Somebody brought their baby in it's stroller to see Infinity War. Her other two kids were awesome but the baby just didn't know how to not cry. There were appropriate places in the movie to cry, but that baby was just all over the place with the wah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Inzombiac posted:

I woke up with my sinuses absolutely hosed. I feel really sick but can't stay home.

Maybe it's allergies being deveoped now that I'm in my 30s? Either way this whole situation can suck my farts.

I’ve somehow developed a lactose intolerance in my early 30s, which sucks massive farts as I love cheese and milk and icecream. Even drinking a single milky coffee sends me into a world of pain.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Creature posted:

I’ve somehow developed a lactose intolerance in my early 30s, which sucks massive farts as I love cheese and milk and icecream. Even drinking a single milky coffee sends me into a world of pain.

I just went to a sushi place with my mom and ordered a miso soup, and she didn’t, but they were about to give it to her cause I said I’m allergic to fish (it’s easier that way cause I’m allergic to most fish but not all). Anyways I had to tell him I’m not allergic to Bonito (tuna) and then he probably thought I was one of those rear end in a top hat liars that make up allergies.

....and then I realized I don’t have en epi pen in my purse.

It all went fine but having to say “I’m allergic to most fish; fish eggs swell up my throat if I even smell them; but I can down tuna and mackerel like crazy” doesn’t make sense to anyone.

Allergies (at least fish, I dunno about others) are based on the protein in the item. So I am allergic to most of fish protein strains but not others. And drat do I love raw tuna, tuna in cans, grilled tuna... love tuna. And there was some dried salted fish I would eat as a kid in Russia that gave me no problems but I can’t remember the name.

Regardless people look at me like I’m crazy if I say I’m allergic to fish and order miso; or, say I’m allergic to only certain kinds of fish and explaining biology obviously would not help. I’ve given up ordering tuna at sushi places.

Proteins :argh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I feel you on that one, yo. Food allergies are freaking weird. I have a "will literally kill me" allergy to shellfish but the rest of seafood just makes me very, very unhappy if I eat it. When looking at restaurants I generally look at the menu and make a judgement of "will cross contamination be a problem here?" as I've had issues with that. Some places are just too fishy overall and all their food makes me sick. Places that specialize in seafood I just avoid because...no.

Explaining it sucks but bitching about it feels first world problem as hell because like...I can just eat something else. There are so many options available to me at any given time that my food allergies are barely an inconvenience.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Same. I'm allergic to cashews, pistachio and Brazil nuts, as in "will literally kill me if I eat some". Other nuts I can eat no problem. But when I eat out it's way easier to say "I have a nut allergy" and leave it at that, because if I go into specifics it gets confusing for the waiter real fast.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mikl posted:

Same. I'm allergic to cashews, pistachio and Brazil nuts, as in "will literally kill me if I eat some". Other nuts I can eat no problem. But when I eat out it's way easier to say "I have a nut allergy" and leave it at that, because if I go into specifics it gets confusing for the waiter real fast.

That is so weird that I was just ruminating about that. “Person is allergic to x nut but but not y and z nut.” I slightly doubted myself but thank you for making me know I am non-crazy (cause doctors think I’m crazy too-I can eat 2lb of tuna and be fine but the smell of salmon eggs gives me severe throat swelling. It happened at the Japanese store near me, they had a small container filled with fish eggs, and my lips and throat swelled up just by being near it ).

It’s kind of tied to FWP cause I have access to good doctors but most of them are dumb as gently caress. Wikipedia knows more about my related-to-their-speciality’ issues than most of them do.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:27 on May 14, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok I have a new one. Again about the heat in my building. Yeah it’s May but it’s been below freezing outside at night so WHY DID YOU SHUT OFF THE HEAT?!?!?! I’m sure they have some list like”turn on heat in October and turnoff in April” but goddamnit it is soooooooooocoooooolllllddd in my apartment and IN THIS CITY. I just got into bed and putting my bedsheets over me feels like putting an icicle over me. And I can’t get those standalone heaters cause the wiring in my building is broken, old, hosed up, so I’m just gonna sit in 33 F. At least I have blankets and clothes on me, and the cats have comfy beds and fur.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I just noticed sweat marks on my uniform and now I have to care more about laundry than I ever have before in my life. Also the shirts are loving huge even though I ordered a small, and I hate that I look like I wore my dad's shirt to school.

Don't give us a white goddamn uniform for a physical job. I miss my old, dark, breathable polos :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Simple green and a 1/4 teaspoon ("pinch") of TSP really helps remove sweat stains and yellowing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I came back from a business trip on Sunday, from a country that's at -5 hours timezone-wise from home. I still haven't recovered. This morning I snoozed my alarm clock too many times (because it's set at 6:15, and my body's convinced it was 1:15), woke up half an hour late, and had to rush through breakfast to make it to work on time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It’s too hot

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Caught the wrong bus, didn't realise, added an hour+ to my commute and I have to take a taxi home if I don't want to add even more.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I have to start paying off a student loan, which actually turned out to be much less than I expected, but that's still a decent chunk of change I can't dump into savings over the next 6 months.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I legitimately despise going to work every day but can't afford to quit right now.

I literally have to force myself to go to work but I need the steady paycheck.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:48 on May 16, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I legitimately despise going to work every day but can't afford to quit right now.

I literally have to force myself to go to work but I need the steady paycheck.

I hate to say same, but :same:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I bought mgs5 for like fifteen bucks and three weeks later it’s being given away free

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I got carpal tunnel AGAIN. I’m not sure if it’s from video games or repetitive motions at work but regardless it’s very annoying. And the brace makes it really hard to play my video games.

E: oh also I have tiny skinny hands and wrists so even the small brace is big on me so I have to ghetto rig it to be at a place where it would work.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
Finding fast food places I can actually eat at seems to be difficult on my family and friends so I end up just passing on going places with them. Celiacs fuckin' blows.

It's not even that bad (like trace gluten doesn't bother me much), but since most of my friends/family are as cheap as me, it usually means a trip to a place that hasn't cleaned their fryers since last week and you can actually taste the gluten and nastiness from whatever else they threw in there on their fries.

It also sucks that I'm gay as hell and Chic-fil-a is the only fast food place that I know of locally that has a separate fryer for potato vs breaded products. Oh well. More waffle fries for me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Coworkers won't shut the gently caress up over "laurel or yanny???"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Braeden.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I overcooked my noodles.

My friend and I haven't spoken in a few weeks, when we used to talk every day.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Cowslips Warren posted:

I overcooked my noodles.

My friend and I haven't spoken in a few weeks, when we used to talk every day.

Seems a bit of an overreaction, you can always get more noodles

Content: all the work I left until just before the deadline is now sitting here waiting for me near to the deadline! Who could have predicted this shocking turn of events!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

It's laurel, but the younger you are the more you can hear the high-pitched distortion that recording the sound through a cellphone caused, and that kinda makes it sound like "yanny."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

It's the audio version of the dress.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's laurel, but the younger you are the more you can hear the high-pitched distortion that recording the sound through a cellphone caused, and that kinda makes it sound like "yanny."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

It's the audio version of the dress.

I hear both at the same time and can focus on one or the other and switch easily. Do I have broken ears or super ears?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can probably just hear a higher frequency range than a lot of the adults. I'm 30 and can't go much past 14khz anymore :(

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't think this is the whole story. The "yanny" overtones aren't at a high enough frequency for that to be the determining factor, and a quick look through social media will show lots of teenagers that hear laurel and older people that hear yanny.

The best explanation I've seen is that it's mostly your sensitivity to fundamentals vs overtones. People with more sensitivity to fundamentals will tend to hear Laurel, people more sensitive to overtones will tend to hear yanny. What you're listing on can matter, too, a tiny speaker with no bass will push you towards yanny.

Edit: Sorry for contributing to your FWP, DizzyBum :(

Theris has a new favorite as of 17:53 on May 17, 2018

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I cut my leg while doing yardwork and went and got a tetanus booster and now my arm hurts, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My GF and I have the same phone and keep them on the same table while we sleep.
She gets up earlier than me and today she swiped off her alarm, got confused and then disabled the alarm on my phone.

So I had about 4.5 minutes to get ready for work.
Thank god I shower at night :smith:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I stubbed my toe on a shelf and it really hurts. I think I might have broken my toe.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Leavemywife posted:

I stubbed my toe on a shelf and it really hurts. I think I might have broken my toe.

How hard do you have to stub a toe to actually break it? I have to wear shoes all the time because I am super clumsy. Before I started wearing shoes all day, every day (save shower and sleep), I once ran into the metal banding of a hope chest with just my pinky toe with such force that the pain made me fall in the floor like a Pentecostal at revival. It was the most pain I had ever felt and it hurt to walk on it for a few days. But it was not broken.
What did you do?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Aleph Null posted:

How hard do you have to stub a toe to actually break it? I have to wear shoes all the time because I am super clumsy. Before I started wearing shoes all day, every day (save shower and sleep), I once ran into the metal banding of a hope chest with just my pinky toe with such force that the pain made me fall in the floor like a Pentecostal at revival. It was the most pain I had ever felt and it hurt to walk on it for a few days. But it was not broken.
What did you do?

I was taking my daughter into her room to lay her down for a nap, and caught the toe right next to the pinkey toe on a shelf. I wasn't going very fast, I didn't think I hit it that hard, but it hurt like a son of a bitch. The pain faded, but about an hour later, it kicked into gear and has been a solid ache.

It's got a nice bruise, but no swelling and it's not a dark bruise. It hurts like it's broken, but that might just be because stubbed toes hurt like the dickens.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aleph Null posted:

What did you do?

If you bash a bone head on, it's hard to break because they have great compression strength.
However, if you get them at an angle, it's much easier to break.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
My 2 PS4 controllers are slightly differently weights— but only so slight that I don’t realize which one I’m picking when I pick one up off the floor, but very annoying and uncomfortable when I have to change controllers.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I have awesome new Bluetooth headphones that my husband got me for my birthday.
I have gotten them paired with every Bluetooth-enabled device I own, except for my laptop. AKA the one device I use more than any other, and I can NOT get them to pair. :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thin Privilege posted:

My 2 PS4 controllers are slightly differently weights— but only so slight that I don’t realize which one I’m picking when I pick one up off the floor, but very annoying and uncomfortable when I have to change controllers.

Put a sticker on one

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's this video game sitting in my steam account, called The Ball. I remember kinda liking it, and kinda remember the story (as much as it generally was).

Thing is, my interest in recalling what the story exceeds my interest in actually playing the game. Unfortunately, the game is so obscure (it was one of the games that was involved in the Portal 2 ARG back in the day) that I was barely lucky enough to find the aspect of the game's story that is conveyed by finding secret locations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

There's this video game sitting in my steam account, called The Ball. I remember kinda liking it, and kinda remember the story (as much as it generally was).

Thing is, my interest in recalling what the story exceeds my interest in actually playing the game. Unfortunately, the game is so obscure (it was one of the games that was involved in the Portal 2 ARG back in the day) that I was barely lucky enough to find the aspect of the game's story that is conveyed by finding secret locations.

Does this help at all?
http://valvearg.com/wiki/The_Ball

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27QmbTJyBwA&list=PL67CF9DA62D55D484

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 23:02 on May 21, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We were charged a customs fee after a parcel entered the country and no one was home, so UPS requested a cheque be left the next day so they can drop it off, but neither my husband nor myself have cheques and haven't for over 5 years.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I need a few things to replace a few things that broke. So I'm ordering them off of Amazon but I can't think of anything that I want to get enough money on the order for free shipping. I figure I should at least spend some of the money I make on random crap as I'm far from broke now but like, I just don't want stuff, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I need a few things to replace a few things that broke. So I'm ordering them off of Amazon but I can't think of anything that I want to get enough money on the order for free shipping. I figure I should at least spend some of the money I make on random crap as I'm far from broke now but like, I just don't want stuff, you know?

You will never regret saving some money away for later