Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The idea that there can be an easy or creative solution doesn't fit the worldview being presented in this game. That's why the magikarp gets stolen. They want you to feel like the game is constant suffering and that success is an horrible endless grind because that's what life is, maaaaaan.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Child, you are not ready for a goldfish who will one day be strong enough to dare disobey your command to splash impotently.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Commander Keene posted:

These are the kind of people we're dealing with here. Gyarados is good, therefore you can't have him. Also you can't have anything that allows you to "trivialize" encounters or use anything but the One True Intended Solution to anything.

I half expect the next "update" to the game to remove all tall grass, forcing you to a) get all of your Pokemon from events, and b) get all of your exp from non-renewable Trainer and plot battles.

Yeah, this is the kind of poo poo we're talking about. Anything with moves, typing, or abilities that allow you to do things they don't specifically intend for you to do is swiftly removed and (sometimes) replaced with something worse.

Did Archael make this?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC, Monster Rancher also had monsters die of old age, but they left a stat-booster for other monsters when they did.
Also MR monsters lived for like 8-10 in-game years if you knew what you were doing, and the game heavily broadcast when they were going to die soon. It also worked mechanically since there wasn't a plot you were trying to advance, just seeing how far in the ranks you could get each monster before it died.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The idea that there can be an easy or creative solution doesn't fit the worldview being presented in this game. That's why the magikarp gets stolen. They want you to feel like the game is constant suffering and that success is an horrible endless grind because that's what life is, maaaaaan.
Well, that and it's hard to present it as a Hardcore Pokemon Game for Adults, including Real Gamer levels of difficulty, if someone who knows what they're doing can find clever strategies to make fights easier.

As far as the type of people who develop & are fans of Reborn are concerned, Real Gamer Difficulty means dying over and over and over again because the game balance is poo poo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I vote for breaking this game as hard as humanly possible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Siegkrow posted:

I vote for breaking this game as hard as humanly possible.

That's going to be a difficult thing to define when you can basically edit every single thing in the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

No see the issue is gyarados got dragon rage so it could deal solid 40 damage a turn. And that made a lot of dipshit fights doable but not in the way they intended

The only two fights I know where it'd be a real humdinger only worked that way because Gyarados got Dragon Range at level 23 in XYORAS. It moved to 36 in S&M and with that Dragon Rage becomes totally irrelevant.

EDIT: This game uses S&M level up lists, yes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 13, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is Edgy Teenager 101 but I still think you're putting more thought into it than they did.
The Magikarp gets stolen because the devs throw a tantrum any time you try to do anything that would "break" their precious game.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

TheMcD posted:

That's going to be a difficult thing to define when you can basically edit every single thing in the game.

I vote for replacing every trainer's team with a Level 1 Azurill, because gently caress this game. Seriously.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As development continues, every update will, among bug fixes, added content and balanci-ahaha yeah right-, also remove a choice from the starter pokemons. One by one they'll take them away until only one pokeball remains in that giant room, the one containing...

(uhh, I actually don't know that much about pokemon so I don't know what would be the most hilarious choice here)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As development continues, every update will, among bug fixes, added content and balanci-ahaha yeah right-, also remove a choice from the starter pokemons. One by one they'll take them away until only one pokeball remains in that giant room, the one containing...

(uhh, I actually don't know that much about pokemon so I don't know what would be the most hilarious choice here)

Chikorita, probably.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Luvdisc, maybe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's funny is that when I was 7 and playing my Blue for the first time, I was a loving idiot and super careful not to let any of my pokemon get too high level because after beating Brock it was all "Pokemon up to level 20 will obey you now!" and I thought it applied to all pokemon. I was up to I think Blaine before I became friends with another kid who played it and he was all "Are you stupid? That's just for trades so you can't break the game with high levels early on. If it were for all pokemon, the game wouldn't be fun to play at all."

tl;dr - congrats to Reborn for having a worse understanding of design philosophy than a second-grader.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC, Seedot has the lowest base stat total in the game? I'm not super sure on that one, because I also don't know that much about Pokemon.

Sydin posted:

What's funny is that when I was 7 and playing my Blue for the first time, I was a loving idiot and super careful not to let any of my pokemon get too high level because after beating Brock it was all "Pokemon up to level 20 will obey you now!" and I thought it applied to all pokemon. I was up to I think Blaine before I became friends with another kid who played it and he was all "Are you stupid? That's just for trades so you can't break the game with high levels early on. If it were for all pokemon, the game wouldn't be fun to play at all."

tl;dr - congrats to Reborn for having a worse understanding of design philosophy than a second-grader.
See, you're all misunderstanding this game. It's not a Pokemon game at all. It's quite understandable that you got fooled, though; the critters and Pokemon branding tricked me at first, too. See, Pokemon games are like playing with Legos; you build whatever you want out of whatever you want. Pokemon Reborn, however, is more like building a Gundam model without the right tools and all the instructions are in the original Japanese because you imported it. Also, why would you go for the low-grade easy stuff; what are you, a baby? What you want is this super-high grade kit, the kind smart people buy. You want to be the best at building Gundams, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only two fights I know where it'd be a real humdinger only worked that way because Gyarados got Dragon Range at level 23 in XYORAS. It moved to 36 in S&M and with that Dragon Rage becomes totally irrelevant.

EDIT: This game uses S&M level up lists, yes.

Gyarados was removed before sumo existed. Oh! And for anyone curious they block trading for certain mons including magikarp. It's client based and easy to crack but they really don't like you going outside their box

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 13, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

Gyarados was removed before sumo existed

That's what I mean, the problem went and solved itself but they still won't let me have a loving Gyarados.

Also, they can change it however they want. It's their game.

It doesn't need to be exactly like the official games, because in those we don't have prostitutes as a common trainer class.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's what I mean, the problem went and solved itself but they still won't let me have a loving Gyarados.

Also, they can change it however they want. It's their game.

It doesn't need to be exactly like the official games, because in those we don't have prostitutes as a common trainer class.

Yes but gyarados is still too strong and what are you a baby? Do you need a Landorous-t to feel safe? Also that espurr used to be ralts also changed due to too gud

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC, Seedot has the lowest base stat total in the game? I'm not super sure on that one, because I also don't know that much about Pokemon.

See, you're all misunderstanding this game. It's not a Pokemon game at all. It's quite understandable that you got fooled, though; the critters and Pokemon branding tricked me at first, too. See, Pokemon games are like playing with Legos; you build whatever you want out of whatever you want. Pokemon Reborn, however, is more like building a Gundam model without the right tools and all the instructions are in the original Japanese because you imported it. Also, why would you go for the low-grade easy stuff; what are you, a baby? What you want is this super-high grade kit, the kind smart people buy. You want to be the best at building Gundams, right?

God I'm a nerd

- High-Grades are actually among the easiest kits to build and the most common
- The instructions are very picture-heavy and easy to follow regardless of language
- You technically could build a kit with a pair of scissors, it'd be a little finicky but you could do it

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This looks as if Matrix Games wanted to make a Pokemon game, only even more incompetent.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So is that Pokemon Omicron as bad as this?
I know pokemon Prism has a few issues (loving POWER RANGERS WITH THEIR SINGING POKEMOK, loving DARK CAVE WITH PITS) but it looked pretty nice for a GBC romhack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

I know pokemon Prism has a few issues (loving POWER RANGERS WITH THEIR SINGING POKEMOK, loving DARK CAVE WITH PITS) but it looked pretty nice for a GBC romhack.

AS bad no. But it involves the evil team blowing up your home town oh and ash shows up as a grunt for the evil team despondent and depressed due to his failures.

So still bad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Siegkrow posted:

Yo are there any good GBA romhacks? Or any romhacks that introduce the phys/special split?
Pokemon Gaia, mentioned on the previous page, seems pretty deceny so far even if it does have Pokédex bloat, and the big name Pokemon randomizer also has a feature to create the physical/special split, as well as a few other changes.

Gaia feels like a slightly phoned-in sequel that was made on a small budget on the same engine. Not bad, just more of the same. And as has been said, for a Pokemon romhack, that's a loving achievement.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 13, 2018

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Commander Keene posted:

It's actually Wishiwashi, with a BST of 175, closely followed by Sunkern, with a BST of 180. Seedot isn't too far off, though, since it only has a BST of 220.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Commander Keene posted:

That dubious "honor" actually goes to Wishiwashi in its Solo Form, with a whopping 175 total! However, because this form is only used when its at half HP and it otherwise has good stats, the next best thing would be Sunkern, with a whopping 180!

edit: beaten to it

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Sydin posted:

It does apply to Pokemon you get from trades with other people in-game, though, which can be a bit of a pain if you wanted those on your team.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Adamant posted:

It does apply to Pokemon you get from trades with other people in-game, though, which can be a bit of a pain if you wanted those on your team.
Long live DUX!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dux is the ultimate in Duck-based Grass Cutting Technology.

Accept no substitutes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Solumin posted:

This is Edgy Teenager 101 but I still think you're putting more thought into it than they did.
The Magikarp gets stolen because the devs throw a tantrum any time you try to do anything that would "break" their precious game.

Gyarados would leave them screaming "it's not fair" before they tromp up the stairs and slam their door. By getting rid of magikarp they invite the edgy intended audience to feel that way. It's a game by the edge and for the edge.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its just treating the matter of being mugged with the utmost respect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

God I'm a nerd

- High-Grades are actually among the easiest kits to build and the most common
- The instructions are very picture-heavy and easy to follow regardless of language
- You technically could build a kit with a pair of scissors, it'd be a little finicky but you could do it

That's because Bandai's engineers are good at what they do. Unlike the team behind this game.

Heck, some kits are designed to be easy builds with nothing but your hands and the material in the box.

For a proper comparison, you want the kind of model kit that needs glue and paint.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So is this basically blood on the sand but with a fish instead of a skull?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

See the thing is I'd be down for Pokemon Subsistence but apparently according to the devs people were still too good at that so the selection was nerfed further. You actually get an incredible amount of junk pokemon, like I didn't even remember there were so many across all games.
Their complaints puzzle me though. Your players kicked rear end with a party of Ratatas, Sentrets, Sunkerns, Hoppips and so on. If they are having fun and beating the challenges with those limits you did your job.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

See the thing is I'd be down for Pokemon Subsistence but apparently according to the devs people were still too good at that so the selection was nerfed further. You actually get an incredible amount of junk pokemon, like I didn't even remember there were so many across all games.
Their complaints puzzle me though. Your players kicked rear end with a party of Ratatas, Sentrets, Sunkerns, Hoppips and so on. If they are having fun and beating the challenges with those limits you did your job.

They weren't having the right kind of fun, though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Siegkrow posted:

The best Romhacks I've played are Omicron and Insurgence.
Both obviously have their problems (especially with tone. Insurgence is far worse for this than Omicron) but I'm not exactly looking for professional quality and have a nigh-insatiable hunger for pokemon.
Sage will probably beat both easily when it releases.
(That having been said; I love a lot of Insurgence's delta pokemon. I just wish so many of them weren't postgame only. Makes randomizers fun though).

SSNeoman posted:

A seemingly universal rule of fangame designers is 'make it harder.' Because you don't usually make a fan game unless you've spent so much time with the source material that you've mastered it and it feels boring to you. And most people don't seek out fangames unless they've spent so much time with the source material that they've mastered it and it feels boring to them. This rule doubles down in pokemon because pokemon games are not terribly hard.

Because here's the thing.
I like the idea of finding pokemon like an easter egg hunt of sorts in an urban environment.
I like the idea of a pokemon game taking place largely IN an urban environment.
I even like the idea of a pokemon metropolis feeling run down and a little sinister (This isn't unprecedented. Look at XD/Colosseum or Po Town)
But not when it's being designed by people who played Pokemon: Edge Rising and didn't get the joke.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 13, 2018

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I've been playing Pokemon Prism lately too and got to that part with the dark cave. What a load of BS that was, you even needed a shinx if you wanted to light that part of the cave!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

I've been playing Pokemon Prism lately too and got to that part with the dark cave. What a load of BS that was, you even needed a shinx if you wanted to light that part of the cave!

Did you fight the power rangers yet? The loving singing, I swear they upped the hit chance of that bullshit. I dunno if there are any, but try getting a whismur or an early birb pokemon or a ton of awakenings.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

A seemingly universal rule of fangame designers is 'make it harder.' Because you don't usually make a fan game unless you've spent so much time with the source material that you've mastered it and it feels boring to you. And most people don't seek out fangames unless they've spent so much time with the source material that they've mastered it and it feels boring to them. This rule doubles down in pokemon because pokemon games are not terribly hard.

Moreover, the Pokemon AI doesn't lend itself to being legitimately hard.

Most of the skill in competitive Pokemon is prediction: "What does my opponent have, what will s/he probably do, and how can I get one step ahead of that?"

Nobody is going to try and program a Pokemon fangame that actually does this. Which means the only practical ways to make the game feel more 'advanced' are by building the AI a strong team, restricting the player's ability to do likewise, or both.

Uranium was actually kind of interesting in this regard, because it at least had the occasional boss Pokemon that was interesting (instead of just big). There was a Pokemon that had Contrary and spammed Overheat, yeah? That was hard because it used standard mechanics to build a combo that was worth more than the sum of its parts. And maybe it wasn't tuned right, but at least it was goddamn interesting.

Of course, that 'mon was set right next to Mega Inflagetah, which takes the more usual and much worse approach.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 14, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
On that note, the double battle in vanilla Emerald where one trainer swaps abilities with their partner's slaking was very difficult in just the way you describe

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

On that note, the double battle in vanilla Emerald where one trainer swaps abilities with their partner's slaking was very difficult in just the way you describe

I was just thinking of that one. Most of the Trials in Ultra Sun/Moon are good too, because they break down so cleanly into a main hitter and a support 'mon. You get some really neat stuff in there.

Part of me hopes that Reborn throwing Double Battles at you a lot means there'll be interesting combos in the mix. Double Battles have so much more potential for combo play, and less of a focus on "what is the biggest Pokemon that hasn't gotten banned yet, Just Use That One."

Then again, it's Reborn. Maybe I shouldn't use the word 'hope'.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

IIRC Insurgence's community was even worse than Reborn's in that the developers would actively try to shut down any forums or IRCs (including their own official ones) that had any discussion around trying to break its 'intended' difficulty curves which usually involved excessive grinding. I fainly recall one actually somewhat decent fangame that got recommended to me by another pokegoon, but its first impressions were broken fonts and screen tearing (in a RPGmaker pokemon fangame, yes :psyduck:) Can't remember the name now though.

The fact that the game lets you see IVs makes me think that the game expects you to reset for a perfect 6x31 spread for future gyms to even be possible to beat. I am scared. Also I am reading the image URLs :v:

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 14, 2018