Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Subs and dubs... well they're both ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taintrunner posted:

Look I just put it on in the background while I build gunpla it’s not like I can read subs and cut out parts at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

The Colonel posted:

it really depends, the only two dubs ever i can honestly say i think are better than the original language track with subs are cowboy bebop and final fantasy 15

e: i guess lupin is pretty good too

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most dubs are at least okay and even official subtitles are shaky and inconsistent so w/e.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyber City Oedo and the Fist of the Northstar movie are the only dubs worth watching.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And it's not like most video games are great works of fiction even in their original language

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

it really depends, the only two dubs ever i can honestly say i think are better than the original language track with subs are cowboy bebop and final fantasy 15

Every xseed game dub is ridiculously good and their falcom game dubs are consistently better than the jp tracks

A lot of dubs do tend to be pretty stiff though yeah, its largely a personal taste thing unless they make lots of outritght dumb script changes or are just badly directed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

And it's not like most video games are great works of fiction even in their original language

Most things aren't great works of fiction

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can respect both sides in the subs/dubs war

unless it's live action that you prefer dubbed in which case prepare to die

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The White Dragon posted:

Not even Trigun?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

This week I learned my wife is a diehard subs over dubs person and I’ve never felt more betrayed in my life
:sever:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Most things aren't great works of fiction

Yeah but my point is stressing too much about the best translation of a video game isn't deserved by most of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7fc397JEk

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The White Dragon posted:

The voice casting is great but part 2 is full of references to stuff from the mid 2000s, which stands out even more in a show from the 70s.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

"The only English I know is the English I learned at school, so I cannot tell if the minor nuances come through or not. ... Even in Japanese, we are very sensitive about the wording we use; we rewrite many, many times. ... One word in a scenario can move people's hearts. ... Therefore, we need a translator who is a genius." - the ceo of the people who made lunar

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I try to play as many games in my original language now that they're actually being dubbed.

Baccano! and REDLINE are much better in english, also.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My opinion depends entirely on whether or not there's a female character with that infantized nyoro~n voice. That is anime poison.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My 3.5 year-old son is now really into racing games but specifically only wants to send them flying into watery abysses. Trackmania Turbo seems to work well for this task, especially with its simplistic controls, any other titles we should investigate? Doesn't matter how old or for what console I don't think. One of the Cars games would be ideal but I suspect they're too on-rails to allow you to fail in such a specific fashion.

The Colonel posted:

English audio with Japanese subs, get the best of everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wamdoodle posted:

Not even Trigun?

nah, i didn't care for vash or millie's parts :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

My 3.5 year-old son is now really into racing games but specifically only wants to send them flying into watery abysses. Trackmania Turbo seems to work well for this task, especially with its simplistic controls, any other titles we should investigate? Doesn't matter how old or for what console I don't think. One of the Cars games would be ideal but I suspect they're too on-rails to allow you to fail in such a specific fashion.

English audio with Japanese subs, get the best of everything.

Spyhunter for the GameCube

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

"The only English I know is the English I learned at school, so I cannot tell if the minor nuances come through or not. ... Even in Japanese, we are very sensitive about the wording we use; we rewrite many, many times. ... One word in a scenario can move people's hearts. ... Therefore, we need a translator who is a genius." - the ceo of the people who made lunar

If a game has two localizations (dub and sub) it's the localizers' and devs' jobs to work to make both as good as possible. To the consumer, worrying about which is magically better isn't really worth the mental effort except in the rare cases where there's a big gap, or the original work is so amazing that a slightly better localization makes that shine through better

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Get him Wipeout to blow his freakin mind.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

univbee posted:

lol has he found the track builder in Trackmania? Infinite watery abyss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I try to play as many games in my original language now that they're actually being dubbed.

Baccano! and REDLINE are much better in english, also.

As long as Machinehead's theme is in English it doesn't really matter

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
He may enjoy Burnout 2 or 3's crash mode, no water but you create the most spectacular vehicular pileups imaginable, also hot seat multiplayer!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You go in the water in Sonic All-Stars Racing. But you're supposed to

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

univbee posted:

Stunts.exe

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do people say the DS2 DLC is the best part of the the game? So far Brume Tower has been a gigantic pain in the rear end including reusing one of the worst bosses from the main game and seemly deliberately making the boss runs an utter pain. Apart from Fume Knight who was actually pretty cool.

It's because the level design and visuals are cool and memorable (ignoring the garbo coop areas)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The sunken king gimmick of having to destroy soul jars or else the enemies are invincible was pretty tedious

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think the only anime I've seen where I prefer subs to dubs is jojo and that's only because the random outbursts of english aren't as silly when the whole thing is in english. It's the difference between someone shouting "VANILLA ICE" or "HOLY poo poo" or "RED HOT CHILI PEPPER" while otherwise speaking in Japanese when compared to if they were shouting those things while the rest of the show is in english so it doesn't stand out as much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the only anime I've seen where I prefer subs to dubs is jojo and that's only because the random outbursts of english aren't as silly when the whole thing is in english. It's the difference between someone shouting "VANILLA ICE" or "HOLY poo poo" or "RED HOT CHILI PEPPER" while otherwise speaking in Japanese when compared to if they were shouting those things while the rest of the show is in english so it doesn't stand out as much

Uh mah gad!!!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Uh mah gad!!!!!

SANAVABEETCH

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, then add Steins;Gate to that list too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

SANAVABEETCH
DO YOU UNDAHSTAND?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe i just missed that day but i don't recall seeing anyone on here say anything at all about Everything, which i just watched the trailer for and thought was a joke for about 5 minutes

also the "sequel" to Journey is only coming out on iPhones

lmao this day is starting GREAT

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just checking here, everyone calls fortnite battle royale "fortnite" because no one gives a poo poo about the actual fortnite, right

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

just checking here, everyone calls fortnite battle royale "fortnite" because no one gives a poo poo about the actual fortnite, right
Pretty much, yeah.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

everything is like generously 85% a joke, it is a david oreilly game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

maybe i just missed that day but i don't recall seeing anyone on here say anything at all about Everything, which i just watched the trailer for and thought was a joke for about 5 minutes

also the "sequel" to Journey is only coming out on iPhones

lmao this day is starting GREAT

I thought Abzu was the sequel to Journey?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a lot of people split off from thatgamecompany during/after the development of journey, and among the games that their alumni made was abzu which is just journey but bad and wet. sky is jenova chen's next game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The producer of Journey went on to give that TED talk about "Roger Ebert is wrong, games are art" and then joined Ouya. I hope she has pulled out of that downward spiral

• Locked thread