Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

basic hitler posted:

calling pillars of eternity boring just proves you are actually the boring problem

i started it but it throws way too much made up fantasy lore at you straight away. with d&d i had knew the basics, i knew what an elf, a dwarf and a human were and i knew their differences well enough to just make a character and start playing. now the game gives you so many options at character creation and you have to read so much loving info about some 9 feet tall blue men or the difference between if you were born in a valley or the forest next to it that i just lost interest

caves of qud is so much better anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ignore the lore and look at the bottom where it says the mechanical benefits of playing with a given race or culture, or just pick whatever looks cool

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

basic hitler posted:

calling pillars of eternity boring just proves you are actually the boring problem

Pillars of Eternity? More like "Book: the game"

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I was disappointed by PoE overall. Didn't really get into the story or setting all that much and found a bunch of the classes really boring. The game had a few fun encounters and had some a few interesting characters, but overall left me not wanting more. Sorta reminded me why I don't really get super into DnD games/DnD-adjacent games now despite still enjoying RPGs/aRPGS (BG2 is probably the only exception, even taking into account IWD, etc...)

Jeza posted:

If you didn't play MotB, you should. It's very much a tier above the base game. A lot of critical reception called it the best RPG since BG2 and Planescape Torment, and tbh that's probably right. Certainly far more interesting than nearly every offering since, and I know your thing is about the death of the RPG post those titles.

MotB was good - especially compared to NWN2 vanilla - and is probably Obsidian's best game, but I don't think it holds up super well. Also, calling the best RPG since BG2 or Planescape is definitely rating too highly imo, but different strokes.

An unrelated opinion: I don't really like competitive multiplayer games. Don't mind coop stuff, but generally find the communities involved to be a hassle to deal with. (Reason why I ended up dropping Chivalry so fast.)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Caves of Qud owns bones indeed. basic hitler you really need to make peace with the thread title.

e:

Fire Barrel posted:

MotB was good - especially compared to NWN2 vanilla - and is probably Obsidian's best game, but I don't think it holds up super well. Also, calling the best RPG since BG2 or Planescape is definitely rating too highly imo, but different strokes.

Yeah I meant that was the reviews in circa 2007 or whenever. But Dyna Soar hates all modern RPGs, so it could be for them. To be honest, I'm half on board with their POV, but Witcher 3 is so loving good. And I'm a more forgiving sort, I can see how games have traded complexity for broader appeal, but I still enjoy some 'modern' AAA RPGs like ME2 on their different merits.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 13, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm one of the apparent minority who think Baldur's Gate and all infinity engine and similar engine games were complete rear end up to and including Pillars of Eternity. poo poo pathfinding and the crappiest combat the world has ever known. Whoever thought real time combat with pausing every 2-3 seconds was good gameplay needs to be vigorously flogged.

Agreed, op. Especially because they insist on making the player repeat the same encounters again and again every 10 feet. The RTwP system would work if combat were sparse, but these games insist on turning combat into terrible slog.

Also BG1 was ugly, poorly designed and generally a mediocre game at best.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

Baldurs gate 1 adheres to a different design philosophy than most rpg’s, certainly most rpg’s that came after it. Its a true sandbox in that the PC is not the center if the world. I like it, but its certainly not for everyone. The combat is somewhat clumsy, but it was basically a glorified tech demo for baldurs gate 2, where the designers realised what they actually had on their hands: the greatest turn based mage battle simulator ever. In BG1, the secret to combat was crowd control and ranged weapons. In BG2, its pure mage chess. You have to know what your enemy is casting and counter it with your own casters. Its convoluted, deep and sometimes unfair but its unlike any game ive played and after close to 20 years im still playing it, and its not even a multiplayer game.

Too bad said battle mage chess sucks rear end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fire Barrel posted:

I was disappointed by PoE overall. Didn't really get into the story or setting all that much and found a bunch of the classes really boring. The game had a few fun encounters and had some a few interesting characters, but overall left me not wanting more. Sorta reminded me why I don't really get super into DnD games/DnD-adjacent games now despite still enjoying RPGs/aRPGS (BG2 is probably the only exception, even taking into account IWD, etc...)

POE was really poorly designed, but imo it had good lore and story and characters. Then came Tyranny which had vastly superior mechanics, but was awful in every other way, and most importantly it ended so abruptly it was as if POE ended ten minutes after unlocking the stronghold and the deep tunnels underneath it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Too bad said battle mage chess sucks rear end.

prob just too hard for you, squirt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

prob just too hard for you, squirt

no, it was tedious because there was no challenge whatsoever, just keep repeating the winning technique until the game ends. These games really need an option to skip encounters after a certain point because there has never been one that made them into anything but a waste of time. Like yeah, I sure need fighting Umber Hulks twenty hours after I defeated the first group of them, this is surely exciting gameplay

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

no, it was tedious because there was no challenge whatsoever, just keep repeating the winning technique until the game ends. These games really need an option to skip encounters after a certain point because there has never been one that made them into anything but a waste of time. Like yeah, I sure need fighting Umber Hulks twenty hours after I defeated the first group of them, this is surely exciting gameplay

it's called the difficulty slider

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
sorry, i dont want to make this repetitive, lazy poo poo even more annoying

lol, it's amazing there is always some idiot whose answer when you criticize BG is "have you considered making the things you hated even more terrible?"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

sorry, i dont want to make this poo poo even more annoying

yeah, you better stop posting

unpopular opinion: unreal tournament was a lot more fun than quake 3

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah, you better stop posting

unpopular opinion: unreal tournament was a lot more fun than quake 3

i realize finland isn't really on top of gaming news, but maybe you should look into some newer releases because this stockholm syndrome for lovely crpgs isn't healthy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My unpopular opinion is that people can like or dislike whatever game they want, it doesn't affect me whatsoever

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

lol, it's amazing there is always some idiot whose answer when you criticize BG is "have you considered making the things you hated even more terrible?"

what you should actually do is turn the difficulty down if you feel the combat is too tedious. that's what it's there for!

unpopular opinion: despite being a cool concept, survival games are filled with boring busywork. the long dark had promise, great feeling of unease and art style and could have been a perfect mix of survival gameplay and myst like exploration and puzzle solving, but the developers hosed it up and now it's just mediocre.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 13, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

re: unpopular opinions. really I dislike pretty much 99% of Japanese games. there’s a level of weeb poo poo I’m willing to look past and enjoy and the line is pretty much like, kojima’s stuff. that’s the furthest I can go.

if I see a loving anime girl of any kind or the phrase “slice of life” im loving out. I’ve tried so many times to look past the weird perviness for the supposedly deep philosophical themes and storytelling within on big name weeb titles people try to convince me ar different and it’s always the same clumsy bullshit about finding yourself or friendship is good or killing god or nihilism or whatever delivered with all the subtlety of a brick to the head.

and there’s always a degree of jankiness to the gameplay and systems of even the biggest titles that feels like im playing a GameCube title with a HD texture pack. i don’t know how anybody sits down and plays a Xeno game for a million hours or whatever, just navigating a hub city is like pulling teeth. and the voice acting/dialogue, god almighty.

people keep trying to pitch me persona games and it’s like what about me makes you think I wouldn’t hate this.

exceptions to this general policy are aforementioned Kojima games (though he was on thin loving ice with Quiet), Dark Souls is cool I guess though I only really liked 3, most Nintendo stuff, trying to think of other examples to make myself seem less borderline racist towards the nation of Japan. Yakuza is cool though i can never seem to get into it past how janky everything outside of combat feels, i do genuinely wish i could because they seem neat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

unpopular opinion: despite being a cool concept, survival games are filled with boring busywork. the long dark had promise, great feeling of unease and art style and could have been a perfect mix of survival gameplay and myst like exploration and puzzle solving, but the developers hosed it up and now it's just mediocre.

I miss the old definition of survival with games like Resident Evil where it meant you were given a somewhat limited pool of resources and had to use them sparingly to get through the game. Now it just means picking up tons of crap off the ground and crafting in menus.

Zelda BOTW was great but even that got tedious at times. It's the closest thing to a survival game that has actually held my interest.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

another unpopular video game opinion is that fortnite is a travesty. my gf had it recommended to her and asked me to get it and as pages of micro transaction locked content unfolded before me it felt like i was staring into the abyss

then I played a couple of rounds and it’s also incredibly clunky and boring to play so i guess whatever, im old now and don’t Get It anymore

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I miss the old definition of survival with games like Resident Evil where it meant you were given a somewhat limited pool of resources and had to use them sparingly to get through the game. Now it just means picking up tons of crap off the ground and crafting in menus.

Zelda BOTW was great but even that got tedious at times. It's the closest thing to a survival game that has actually held my interest.

hah, here's another unpopular opinion: every resident evil, silent hill and similar game suck. they're not scary in the least, the gameplay is wonky as gently caress, the characters feel like tanks and the combat feels like its lovely on purpose to make you feel more desperate when in reality you're just frustrated.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Jeza posted:

Caves of Qud owns bones indeed. basic hitler you really need to make peace with the thread title.

e:

Yeah I meant that was the reviews in circa 2007 or whenever. But Dyna Soar hates all modern RPGs, so it could be for them. To be honest, I'm half on board with their POV, but Witcher 3 is so loving good. And I'm a more forgiving sort, I can see how games have traded complexity for broader appeal, but I still enjoy some 'modern' AAA RPGs like ME2 on their different merits.

W3 is indeed really good, and I think W2 holds up pretty darn well wrt to writing and design, but those games definitely err on the side of simplicity when it comes to combat. You can mix things up with alchemy and potions, time your parries and aim for back attacks, but those don't really matter until higher difficulties. That said, I think there are still more mechanically complex rpgs out there - you just need to look. They're probably not going to be AAA titles, though, and many are going to be mechanics focused, like dungeon crawlers, but they are there.

I also think aRPGs can have surprising amounts of depth in terms of build options, but those probably wouldn't work for someone looking to scratch that type of itch.

I tend to be pretty picky with my RPGs today too, though, so I can sort of understand it.

steinrokkan posted:

Also BG1 was ugly, poorly designed and generally a mediocre game at best.

Agreed. All the good will surrounding that series is focused on 2 I think. Durlag's Tower was pretty fun though.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

another unpopular video game opinion is that fortnite is a travesty. my gf had it recommended to her and asked me to get it and as pages of micro transaction locked content unfolded before me it felt like i was staring into the abyss

then I played a couple of rounds and it’s also incredibly clunky and boring to play so i guess whatever, im old now and don’t Get It anymore

my friend keeps trying to get me into fortnite and at first it seemed somewhat appealing but then I realized that I only thought that because it doesn't look as unbearably awful as PUBG

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

romanowski posted:

my friend keeps trying to get me into fortnite and at first it seemed somewhat appealing but then I realized that I only thought that because it doesn't look as unbearably awful as PUBG

escape from tarkov has a similar concept but it's more like a mix of stalker and diablo 2. there's full pvp looting. it's a fun game if somewhat frustrating because it's quite hard in the beginning before you learn the maps

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 13, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i guess I just don’t really get battle royale games. it’s like, let’s take a round of Counter Strike but make it 20 times longer and make the map 400x bigger, therefore ensuring you spend 95% of your time either not encountering your opponent or dead and playing with your phone

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the battle royale concept actually seemed really cool to me at first but watching fortnite/PUBG clips made me realize that I actually just want an IRL battle royale

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

romanowski posted:

the battle royale concept actually seemed really cool to me at first but watching fortnite/PUBG clips made me realize that I actually just want an IRL battle royale

putting all these twitch people in an irl battle royale to the death to be broadcast on twitch is the only scenario in which I would watch something on twitch

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Jeza posted:

But Dyna Soar hates all modern RPGs, so it could be for them. To be honest, I'm half on board with their POV, but Witcher 3 is so loving good. And I'm a more forgiving sort, I can see how games have traded complexity for broader appeal, but I still enjoy some 'modern' AAA RPGs like ME2 on their different merits.

i don't really hate all modern rpg's, for example mount & blade was aces (doesn't really count as modern tho i guess) and crusader kings 2 to me feels more like and RPG than a strategy game, and as an RPG it's one of the best ever made. maybe i hate all modern rpg's, hah

i just think the AAA western CRPG's have become like superhero movies, too big to take chances, too big to fail and i get bored with them really fast. then again the indie RPG developers are just too ambitious and maybe don't realise how much time and effort it takes to make a really good RPG, so their games feel like all the underwhelming, failed 90s rpg's as opposed to the really good ones.

IDK, the upcoming cyberpunk game from the witcher dudes looks p. dope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Battle Royale has an appeal that I get. Having a lot more on the line than a normal deathmatch really ramps up the risk/reward factor and tension. The problem is that all of the games we have to choose from are loving terrible. The concept alone got me to dump 100 hours into PUBG but I flamed out hard because it's just such a bad, incompetently made game. I never want to play it again. Fortnite is hideous. I can't stand the aesthetic, the gameplay feels bad, and the building holds zero appeal to me. If they could somehow get BR working in a game like Ghost Recon Wildlands I;d be hopelessly addicted.

It's really gimmicky and there's definitely an enjoyment ceiling on BR though. Especially with how bad of a genre it is for people who don't have a metric fuckton of time to play games. Devoting 45 minutes a round in a game where nothing might happen at all got old quick when I have maybe an hour tops to play games on weeknights.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 13, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the time thing has honestly killed multiplayer gaming for me in general. it takes so long to get even competent enough at any multiplayer game to start having fun, much less to unlock the mountain of bullshit every game has locked behind a grind now. adding to it is the death of dedicated servers means no real persistent communities you can drop into where you can kind of subsist on the social aspect while you’re getting your rear end kicked. my friends and I can occasionally find times where we all can sit down and play a few hours of a game together but it’s really rare.

the most fun I’ve had in a multiplayer game out of the box in years was Titanfall 2 for ease of entry and moment to moment cool poo poo even if you’re losing, but that’s pretty much it. i rarely even check out a game’s multiplayer anymore unless a friend asks

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

what the hell are all you olds talking about "45 minutes to a round where nothing happens" "dead and playing with your phone"

y'all know that when you're dead you press two buttons and are in another game, right? it's always great when people clearly are bitching about stuff just because it's popular, not because they've actually tried it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

like i get not liking battle royale games, they're kind of a weird niche, but holy poo poo lol don't just make stuff up you morons

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

what the hell are all you olds talking about "45 minutes to a round where nothing happens" "dead and playing with your phone"

y'all know that when you're dead you press two buttons and are in another game, right? it's always great when people clearly are bitching about stuff just because it's popular, not because they've actually tried it

why would I want to be in another round when i didn’t have fun in the first one. this is asking a lot of engagement on my part to do a thing that isn’t fun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mandrel posted:

why would I want to be in another round when i didn’t have fun in the first one. this is asking a lot of engagement on my part to do a thing that isn’t fun

yo here's a lil hint i said nothing about that, i was just pointing out that this idea of sitting around in a match for forty minutes after you're dead is objectively not a thing that happens unless you really really really want to spectate for some reason, maybe going forward you'll think about what you post before making such an embarrassing mistake

e: like my dude i even outright said i totally understand not liking battle royale games, this is on you

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yo here's a lil hint i said nothing about that, i was just pointing out that this idea of sitting around in a match for forty minutes after you're dead is objectively not a thing that happens unless you really really really want to spectate for some reason, maybe going forward you'll think about what you post before making such an embarrassing mistake

e: like my dude i even outright said i totally understand not liking battle royale games, this is on you

yes I think fundamentally a game where the solution to the interactive gameplay loop being tedious and unrewarding is to find a new match is bad. this is not a mistake, you will find it is part of my unpopular opinion that these games suck rear end

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said I’ve played it for over 100 hours in the same post you quoted?

It’s very possible to play a solo round and not see someone for 45 minutes just to get shot from a mile away. I don’t know what you are on about.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
the Klobb was the best weapon in Goldeneye.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the Klobb was the best weapon in Goldeneye.

From a statistical POV, no. From a feeling of 'lol I killed you with a Klobb' then yes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dr.Smasher posted:

From a statistical POV, no. From a feeling of 'lol I killed you with a Klobb' then yes.

we only ever played one hit kills. It fired the fastest.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lmao at being ken lobb and being just brutally owned so hard by having one of the shittiest guns ever named after you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao at being ken lobb and being just brutally owned so hard by having one of the shittiest guns ever named after you

the dev team either loved him or hated him