Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Rome was a trash state and anyone who holds them up as a standard can be safely dismissed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't hate pitbulls, but I don't think anyone with other animals or children should have one. if you have a pitbull and other animals or children, you are asking for them to be mauled.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Musicians should be drug tested just like athletes. If they're found to be on performance-enhancing drugs, their music is roved from the charts and they're banned from entering the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Musicians should be drug tested just like athletes. If they're found to be on performance-enhancing drugs, their music is roved from the charts and they're banned from entering the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Look man Minor Threat isn’t getting in no matter how you bend the rules to their favor

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Goodbody posted:

Same but with writers, actors, and directors. Imagine trying to write a week of SNL sketches without drugs

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If they started drug testing artist, they should instead make the ones who don't do drugs pay a fine.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm against doing drugs by principle, but fu... I mean, your opinion is unpopular for a reason.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

what the gently caress is a musical performance-enhancing drug? brb gonna do some music roids so i can shred this guitar super hard guys!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elfgames posted:

what the gently caress is a musical performance-enhancing drug? brb gonna do some music roids so i can shred this guitar super hard guys!

Some people like to think that drugs make them more creative and it's very common for people to attribute any media that's even slightly weird or surreal to the creator's supposed drug use.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiresias2 posted:

I'm against doing drugs by principle,

lol

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Just bought Mass Effect: Andromeda...and I'm not hating it. So far premise beach is good, and the rubbery looking people aren't too bad!

Yeah, I wouldn't have paid full price for it, but for the $20-30 or so I found it for, it's pretty good.

I agree with the criticisms, but it's still fun enough for me to waste time on after work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Acid and other psychedelic drugs should be legal. The stigma against them compared to stuff like opiates or even alcohol is insane.

The world would be a better place if every drunk was tripping instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Acid and other psychedelic drugs should be legal. The stigma against them compared to stuff like opiates or even alcohol is insane.

The world would be a better place if every drunk was tripping instead.

the best drug is already legal: the love of our lord and savior jesus christ

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Some people like to think that drugs make them more creative and it's very common for people to attribute any media that's even slightly weird or surreal to the creator's supposed drug use.

Musicians overall have a very high rate of addiction and drug use so there's always that connection.

Kind of like how artists have a tendency to be mentally ill. Is it the mental illness or addiction that makes somebody creative or are creative people just broken by default?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Musicians overall have a very high rate of addiction and drug use so there's always that connection.

Kind of like how artists have a tendency to be mentally ill. Is it the mental illness or addiction that makes somebody creative or are creative people just broken by default?

The lifestyle of a touring musician is very hard. Constant travel, irregular hours, separation from stabilizing influences like family & friends can't help, and you're constantly surrounded by booze and drugs at the places you do perform. I think that's probably the biggest reason so many musicians have drug problems.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

ok but what drugs enhance your ability to perform music?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Elfgames posted:

ok but what drugs enhance your ability to perform music?

Depends on the music, but also the guy was joking

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The Expanse being canceled now is the best end it could hope for. I'd rather be pissed about it "ending too soon" than watch it get drawn out and ruined.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 02:42 on May 15, 2018

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

The lot of us with advanced degrees should be barred from leadership or management positions in anything but the exact thing your degree is in for the a time corresponding to the standard amount of time it takes to get that degree. Maybe twice that.

e: trimmed rambling

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

MizPiz posted:

The Expanse being canceled now is the best end it could hope for. I'd rather be pissed about it "ending too soon" than watch it get drawn out and ruined.

What? The show hasn't even covered a third of the books yet.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zartosht posted:

What? The show hasn't even covered a third of the books yet.

From what I heard, the later books can be a slog (especially the one that's supposed to follow this season). Besides, Game of Thrones managed to get bad while it was still in book territory.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

From what I heard, the later books can be a slog (especially the one that's supposed to follow this season). Besides, Game of Thrones managed to get bad while it was still in book territory.

yeah, when the books were published!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I loving love GoT. Me and my friend even cosplayed it at a non-halloween party once. I was Ser Loras.

But gently caress me, the show should have ended at season 4. I’d have been disappointed but considering what has happened, well

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I loving love GoT. Me and my friend even cosplayed it at a non-halloween party once. I was Ser Loras.

But gently caress me, the show should have ended at season 4. I’d have been disappointed but considering what has happened, well

You shut your damned whore mouth! We're getting a loving ending to this goddamned thing one way or another! Some of us have been waiting for this for decades. DECADES!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
here's a twofer

1: Biopics are pretty much universally bad. Even the good ones aren't as good as good fiction movies. They should stop making them

2: "biopic" is pronounced like myopic

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

here's a twofer

1: Biopics are pretty much universally bad. Even the good ones aren't as good as good fiction movies. They should stop making them

How else would someone pronounce it?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Like gif

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

here's a twofer

Yeah basically. They exist for Oscars and classrooms. The only one I’ve really enjoyed was Straight Outta Compton and that’s still too long and has a few “Paul McCartney, of the Beatles” moments.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solice Kirsk posted:

How else would someone pronounce it?

buy-o-pick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I've never heard that before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I've never heard that before.

That’s actually the correct pronunciation, which makes sense considering the root words. But I always have to stop myself from pronouncing it like myopic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s actually the correct pronunciation, which makes sense considering the root words. But I always have to stop myself from pronouncing it like myopic.

Why stop yourself? "Buy-op-ic" sounds much better than "buy-o-pick".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why stop yourself? "Buy-op-ic" sounds much better than "buy-o-pick".

Because then everyone yells at me for mispronouncing things

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah basically. They exist for Oscars and classrooms. The only one I’ve really enjoyed was Straight Outta Compton and that’s still too long and has a few “Paul McCartney, of the Beatles” moments.

Ed Wood is pretty good. If nothing else, it deserves credit for being a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie that wasn't bad.

BrBa
Oct 12, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

1: Biopics are pretty much universally bad. Even the good ones aren't as good as good fiction movies.

True; Raging Bull, Schindler's List and Lawrence of Arabia aren't quite as good as Star Wars or LOTR.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrBa posted:

True; Raging Bull, Schindler's List and Lawrence of Arabia aren't quite as good as Star Wars or LOTR.

I said good fiction movies

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is the best movie ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The rule with biopics is that it has to be a relatively unknown story, either because a large amount of time has passed or because it's just obscure and nobody knows about it. That way you can take as much poetic license as you want and prioritize making a good movie over accuracy.

Any time someone makes a biopic of someone world famous and contemporary it ends up being a sanitized, by-the-numbers version of the story. Like how they made Walk the Line only a year or so after Cash died. There was no chance of presenting a full picture of who the man was under those circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is the best movie ever made.

It's also the stupidest movie ever made but that's what made it so drat good. It know how stupid it is and just runs and leaps walls with it while doing cool kung fu moves.