Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't particularly care one way or another about battle royale games but I also loving hate them because the next two or three years are going to feature every goddamn hack dev studio jumping on the BR bandwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't particularly care one way or another about battle royale games but I also loving hate them because the next two or three years are going to feature every goddamn hack dev studio jumping on the BR bandwagon.

Get This! Battle Royale.....Roguelike!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hate them because I don't want to play video games on the internet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

play nethack on alt.org

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

we only ever played one hit kills. It fired the fastest.

Some of the most fun I've ever had in any multiplayer game is playing Goldeneye 64 with proximity mines only with only one gun on the map. Obviously it requires non-screen cheating honourable sorts.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

Some of the most fun I've ever had in any multiplayer game is playing Goldeneye 64 with proximity mines only with only one gun on the map. Obviously it requires non-screen cheating honourable sorts.

it was so fun to watch your buddy's screen and run past him and blow is rear end to hell. Multiplayer is no fun if you can't punch your opponent

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dr.Smasher posted:

From a statistical POV, no. From a feeling of 'lol I killed you with a Klobb' then yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFldsc3eF8

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yess! Double Klobbs!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

what the hell are all you olds talking about "45 minutes to a round where nothing happens" "dead and playing with your phone"

y'all know that when you're dead you press two buttons and are in another game, right? it's always great when people clearly are bitching about stuff just because it's popular, not because they've actually tried it

*presses two buttons after dying in PUBG*

*crashes trying to reload into the lobby, logs back on, five minute load time to end up on an island where 99 other people are firing guns and spouting racial slurs*

*another three minute wait as the plane agonizingly draws near the area I want to drop, some rear end in a top hat is literally playing Die Horst Wessel Lied the whole time*

*2 minute free fall, it'd be a minute and a half without the constant stuttering*

*hits the ground, has to wait a good three minutes for the lovely textures to load in properly so the world doesn't look like it's made of marshmallow*

*attempts to scavenge with a character who controls only a tiny bit more efficiently than Harry Mason did in the original Silent Hill*

*shot in the face by TrumpMAGA420, who calls me a human being for good measure*

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Mass Effect bored the hell out of me. As did God of War - all of them, but haven't played the new one. Dragon Age 1 > Dragon Age 2. Oh and Hellgate London was fun. But I only paid $40 for it not $200 so that mighta affected that for me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Dragon Age 1 > Dragon Age 2.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a widely recognized objective truth

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Mass Effect bored the hell out of me. As did God of War - all of them, but haven't played the new one. Dragon Age 1 > Dragon Age 2.

In the new God of War Kratos waited around for about 12 centuries

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a widely recognized objective truth

Ah, I just went by a raw count of times the reverse has been posted in GBS.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

GBS is full of morons

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

signalnoise posted:

GBS is full of morons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vIBijzg4w

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Dragon Age 2 had a two person cheer squad of pick and troposphere who would make post after post defending the game every time it came up. Trop doesn't post anymore and Pick is too busy directing her insanity at other things right now so we've finally moved past.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oscar Wild posted:

Can it also be a MOBA

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yess! Double Klobbs!

"For England, James?"

"No. For Klobbs."

Alternate: "lol I killed u with a klobb"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dont even fink about it posted:

"For England, James?"

"No. For Klobbs."

Alternate: "lol I killed u with a klobb"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Is the klobb the gun you could double wield and empty out 100 rounds into the flat pixelated face and have them not die?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

signalnoise posted:

GBS is full of morons

What are you trying to say?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
He is calling you a moraan. Fight back now.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

LETS GET HIM!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dyna Soar posted:

Baldurs gate 1 adheres to a different design philosophy than most rpg’s, certainly most rpg’s that came after it. Its a true sandbox in that the PC is not the center if the world. I like it, but its certainly not for everyone. The combat is somewhat clumsy, but it was basically a glorified tech demo for baldurs gate 2, where the designers realised what they actually had on their hands: the greatest turn based mage battle simulator ever. In BG1, the secret to combat was crowd control and ranged weapons. In BG2, its pure mage chess. You have to know what your enemy is casting and counter it with your own casters. Its convoluted, deep and sometimes unfair but its unlike any game ive played and after close to 20 years im still playing it, and its not even a multiplayer game.

People always say that but iirc i just blundered through turning people into sashimi with my skald and fireballing every motherfucker

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i feel like the mage chess is mostly casting breach and dispel magic on everything

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

sebmojo posted:

People always say that but iirc i just blundered through turning people into sashimi with my skald and fireballing every motherfucker

Did you have to reload a lot? Its not a terribly hard game, but without at least some level of tactical magic using it can get frustratring fast

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dyna Soar posted:

Did you have to reload a lot? Its not a terribly hard game, but without at least some level of tactical magic using it can get frustratring fast

e: yeah i probably reloaded a fair bit, but i don't recall it ever being as a result of not using spell piercing. Playing on normal though.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 14, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
PUBG and games like it are only fun if you play with a friend so you can get up to some poo poo and maybe even revive each other if you get shot.

Playing solo is just running around an incredibly ugly empty game and then getting shot by someone you can't see or basically nothing happening. Cool things can happen but rarely. You become good at the game by learning how to camp well. It's lame as gently caress

so most of the time it's just a boring repetitive slog

no wonder people love it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Infinity Engine should have been full on turn based, RT was a mistake.

Because of the legacy of IE the Divinity series is much more entertaining than Obsidian games on the strength of not having to herd cats in real time alone.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

sebmojo posted:

e: yeah i probably reloaded a fair bit, but i don't recall it ever being as a result of not using spell piercing. Playing on normal though.

yeah its completely possible to just bash your head into the wall and reload when it fails the whole game through, especially on normal rules. i played like that for a long time before i started to wrap my head around the spell system.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The old style of games where you can save and reload any time you want, and the difficulty matches that is superior to the new style, where there are checkpoints and the game is easier. I know some games use checkpoints and are also hard and those games can suck poo poo I hate them. :sassargh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How on earth are checkpoints "new"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's because I am old and used to play games like BG1 or Doom when they first came out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you where older, you'd remember save points being an early console thing before PC gaming was a reality.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the dev team either loved him or hated him

I think he specifically requested to make that gun crap. The devs just went above and beyond.

Also for the topic: I'm playing Secret of Mana for the first time on my SNES Classic, it's actually pretty awful.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Serephina posted:

If you where older, you'd remember save points being an early console thing before PC gaming was a reality.

Pc gaming has been a reality since the dawn of computer gaming

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yess! Double Klobbs!

Goldeneye had the ability to mix and match the double weapons, but you could only do this officially in one level (the jungle level you could get a grenade launcher and rcp90 to work togeather) a major missed oppratunity. You should have been able to dual wield and combo of weapons in multiplayer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think he specifically requested to make that gun crap. The devs just went above and beyond.

Also for the topic: I'm playing Secret of Mana for the first time on my SNES Classic, it's actually pretty awful.

It's pretty awful, but it's also pretty good, depending on the aspect of the game you're looking at

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
how is it awful? i think it's still p. fun, especially with a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

doverhog posted:

It's because I am old and used to play games like BG1 or Doom when they first came out.

OG Doom let you save anywhere? I never played much of it when I was young but I could have sworn it saved between levels. That's why the levels are designed to be beatable with only the weapons in that level, because you could die and start over with no weapons