Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

Thinking of ways to make the Klarg fight spicier before tomorrow's session and I've come down to "make one of the goblins with him a full-on caster" or "give him some Legendary Actions"

That said I don't want to fully overdo it since he can potentially hit one of them for a shitload of damage as is.

I created variants on the Bugbears based on the entry in Volo's guide. Which for some reason describes them but does not stat them out.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/103691-bugbear-thug
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/103695-bugbear-bulwerk
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/103698-bugbear-murderer

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malpais Legate posted:

Y'all know if Tome of Foes is going to have a significant Fey presence in the statblocks? My party is heading to the Feywild soon(ish) and while I have a lot of stuff available, not much of it includes archfey for when they inevitably fail to negotiate and try to murderhobo.

Or any other edition resources I can adapt. My party is level 12 and the MM is already really lacking in foes for this bracket, I think.

Eladrin are going to be in it (each one being CR 10). But Volo's guide to monsters is the book with the most Fey in it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I created variants on the Bugbears based on the entry in Volo's guide. Which for some reason describes them but does not stat them out.

All of these are showing up as not found to me btw.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thanks here just take images then.

The last line on the murders the remember part is just a note from me. For people who don't remember how breathing works.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 14, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So if my con mod is 1, do I die on start of the enemy's next turn, or the enemy's turn after that or the end either of those rounds?

Rephrasing, if my con mod is 0, do I die immediately, or when the round counter reaches 1?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If my con mod is -1 do I just drown as soon as I touch water?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So if my con mod is 1, do I die on start of the enemy's next turn, or the enemy's turn after that or the end either of those rounds?

Rephrasing, if my con mod is 0, do I die immediately, or when the round counter reaches 1?

Novum posted:

If your hold your breath you get a number of minutes equal to 1 + Con Mod (Minimum 30 seconds.)

If you run out of breath or are choking you can survive a number of rounds equal to your con mod. (Minimum 1 round.) After that at the start of your next turn you drop to 0 hp and are dying, and you can't regain hit points or stabilize until you can breath again.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 14, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm not sure why either of these conditions would kill you.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The bugbear thing "Until the grapple ends, the target can't breathe"?

In either case, at the start of your next turn you drop to 0hp.

PHB page 183 posted:

When a creature runs out of breath, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

If your con mod is <= 1, it's an insta-KO if nobody helps you out. Unless you've got a reaction and can do something with it to escape, I guess.

Seems a bit much for CR2, but lol CR.

Novum posted:

Nope, you can hold your breath for 1 + con mod minutes, minimum of 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to the bugbear's garotte attack though - the text at the bottom of the image implies that you'd have "no chance to hold your breath", since this happens on a hit.

If you do get a chance to hold your breath first then I guess you've got 30 seconds (5 rounds) at minimum to get out, which makes me question if it'd ever actually come up in play.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 14, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

The bugbear thing "Until the grapple ends, the target can't breathe"?

In either case, at the start of your next turn you drop to 0hp.

If your con mod is <= 1, it's an insta-KO if nobody helps you out. Unless you've got a reaction and can do something with it to escape, I guess.

Nope, you can hold your breath for 1 + con mod minutes, minimum of 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to the bugbear's garotte attack though - the text at the bottom of the image implies that you'd have "no chance to hold your breath", since this happens on a hit.

If you do get a chance to hold your breath first then I guess you've got 30 seconds (5 rounds) at minimum to get out, which makes me question if it'd ever actually come up in play.

The suffocating rules state if you are being choked it's the same as being out of breath so no holding breath.

Edit:Though I note your quote from the PHB does not say that. Here is the version after errata.

PHB after Errata posted:

When a creature runs out of breath or is choking, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying, and it can't regain hit points or be stabilized until it can breathe again.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 14, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
What does it mean, that I can hold on for 1 round?

Say the Bugbear chokes me and my Con mod is low enough that I only have one round and then, at the start of my next turn, I fall to 0 hp. Does this mean;

A. On my very next turn I drop to 0 hp?
B. On my very next turn I drop to 0 hp, provided my next turn takes place in the next round?
C. The bugbear's next turn must first come up next round, and then on my next turn after that I drop to 0 hp?

I think it's C but I can't find anything in the PHB which conclusively says so.

Also... is it just me, or does the garrote ability not prevent verbal components of spellcasting? Oh well. "Rulings not rules" and all that.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like these bugbears! the wild swings power is really cool

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

What does it mean, that I can hold on for 1 round?

Say the Bugbear chokes me and my Con mod is low enough that I only have one round and then, at the start of my next turn, I fall to 0 hp. Does this mean;

A. On my very next turn I drop to 0 hp?
B. On my very next turn I drop to 0 hp, provided my next turn takes place in the next round?
C. The bugbear's next turn must first come up next round, and then on my next turn after that I drop to 0 hp?

I think it's C but I can't find anything in the PHB which conclusively says so.

Also... is it just me, or does the garrote ability not prevent verbal components of spellcasting? Oh well. "Rulings not rules" and all that.

Thinking about the wording in the PHB (which is a bit vague), I guess my initial read was wrong. Working on the assumption that "For one round" = "Until the same turn in the next round" because I can't find anything to contradict that, I think it's C.

You start to choke on the bugbear's turn. 1 round later (ie, on the bugbear's next turn) your 1 round is up. When you next start a turn, you drop to 0hp. There's two ways that could happen.

1: If the bugbear went before you and started choking you: You get your turn on that round. Next round, on the bugbear's turn, your 1 round is up, so on your turn you drop to 0hp.

2: If you got your turn and then the bugbear started choking you: Next round, you get your turn. On the bugbear's turn, your 1 round is up. Next round, at the start of your next turn, you drop to 0hp.

e: I would think that "can't breathe" would mean "can't speak" and therefore "can't cast V spells". Being able to draw a breath is necessary to make words come out.

E2: The descriptive text says that they use the garottes to cut off screaming, if that helps.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 14, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Firstborn posted:

I linked the video in the post you quoted.

How the gently caress did that not show up when I read your post? No more phone postin' for me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Novum posted:

I've come to the conclusion that a couple legendary actions that move PCs or the monster around, or change the map layout are awesome to give any boss monster to keep them feeling threatening without juicing up their damage output.

So I've given him a chain that he can use to make someone save vs strength or get pulled towards him and a AoE-with-disadvantage attack Ghost Rider-style chain swing that targets everyone around him.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlphaDog posted:

Would you rather instantly drop to 0 HP when you’re level 10?
Actually I guess at level 10 there would be dozens of these guys all trying to strangle you at the same time.

The real question is why do these attacks bypass HP?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

KittyEmpress posted:

The druid... I dunno. Druid, especially moon druids, are already super good powerful shifters who are incredibly strong. But if she wants to be transforming all the time constantly, you might ask your GM to make a houserule so that creatures X CR under your allowed CR can be taken for free, without using one of your two shifts? This will be a bonus for her stealth capabilities mostly, as she takes the forms of rats and frogs for awhile. I dunno honestly.
I agree with most of the rest of your post (assuming 5e can't be avoided), but you'd probably want to add to this houserule that any HP damage while in a free transform carries over to your actual HP, otherwise they could just cat tank forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should point out that the bugbear garrote attack can only be used against someone when it has advantage on the attack roll. It has a good stealth mod so it can ambush pretty well, but it will normally only have one chance to use the Garrote. And the target does always have a minimum of one round to save itself. (Or for an ally to save it.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 14, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Dregs posted:

Finally got my wife to play D&D. To celebrate, I drew their characters. Socially awkward forest gnome sisters, one is a nature cleric with 7 CHA, and the other is a pretty wizard. They both wanted simple characters, but decided to roll randomly anyway, and they got two of the more complicated ones. They cling together.

Hi this got lost but I love this picture!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
UA Centaurs and Minotaurs.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/centaurs-and-minotaurs

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

A centaur can ride on top of a centaur

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Piell posted:

A centaur can ride on top of a centaur
the team gets their rear end whooped until they combine into a single jenga tower of centaurs at the end of each session

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Minotaur is really good if you can get Booming Blade from somewhere.

Edit: Wait, that's not the Attack action

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 14, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that the bugbear garrote attack can only be used against someone when it has advantage on the attack roll. It has a good stealth mod so it can ambush pretty well, but it will normally only have one chance to use the Garrote. And the target does always have a minimum of one round to save itself. (Or for an ally to save it.)
Have a goblin do something distracting on their turn (aka provide the assist action). The goblin's 1d6+3 or whatever is a small sacrifice for advantage on a better attack, and for a potential two-round KO? :discourse:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

What I'm getting for this is that Minotaurs need to dip into Rogue so they can Always Be Charging.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Man, that's a funny looking Mystic or Artificer revision promised in by end of Winter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Relentless posted:

What I'm getting for this is that Minotaurs need to dip into Rogue so they can Always Be Charging.

The extra attack and the cunning action dash both require a bonus action....sorry.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Nevermind, forgot you have to dash.

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why is minotaur a language?

Anyway, Eldritch Knight, war caster, tunnel fighter, booming blade. Just stand around headbutting everyone who walks past. On your turn grapple a dude and headbutt him (nonmagically) some more. You even have a free hand to hold or a shield or a second dude, whichever. If you already have two dudes grappled you can green flame headbutt one of them and have it arc to the other.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm having a really hard time imagining a Medium sized centaur. Seems like they've a serious aversion to the Large size category.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like how SotDL has no large races by default but has a rare table entry when you roll a clockwork to end up large. It's a lot more significant there as well, affecting reach and damage explicitly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I like how SotDL has no large races by default but has a rare table entry when you roll a clockwork to end up large. It's a lot more significant there as well, affecting reach and damage explicitly.

in the first one-shot i ran we had a player roll a clockwork and get lucky enough to both be size 2 and have an arm-blade, but their strength was too low to use it so they mostly flailed around hilariously with it. but when they did hit, they hit like a truck (for level 0)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Being larger in 5e does affect reach and damage. It's why no races playable races are large by default.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It would be pretty easy to add a trait like Bulky: Centaur's size category is large, though it treats weapon damage and reach as if it were Medium. (So some such language. I'm not a technical writer.)

Basically, I'm against mini-horse centaurs.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Being larger in 5e does affect reach and damage. It's why no races playable races are large by default.
Does it automatically affect reach? There are large creatures with 5 ft reach(see Ogre). Likewise, although sized-up weapons do more damage, they aren't listed in the phb and might not be easy to purchase - that part seems easy enough to work around. Just let them treat all weapons that are two-handed because of their heft as versatile. (So they still need two hands to shoot a bow but a greataxe is no problem.) Later you can give them larger weapons anyway because weapon damage progression ending around level 2 is pretty lame and wizards are still gods.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 14, 2018

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
FWIW Midgard Heroes' Handbook already has its own set of minotaur and centaur PC races. The game rules are Open Game Content, so I can copy-pasta them for comparisons. I tried doing the same with the UA article, but it resulted in some weird formatting and everyone has a link already.

Midgard Centuar posted:

CENTAUR TRAITS
Your centaur character has certain characteristics in common with all other centaurs.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases
by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Centaurs reach maturity at 15 years of age. Their lifespans vary because of the harsh conditions and martial nature of their culture, but the upper limits are similar to those of humans.
Alignment. Centaur alignments are mainly chaotic and neutral.
Size. Centaurs stand between 8 and 9 feet tall and weigh in excess of 1,000 pounds. Your size is Large.
Speed. Centaurs have a base speed of 40 feet.
Type. You are of the monstrosity type.
Natural Attacks. You have proficiency with your hooves. You make one attack with your hooves, which deal 2d6 bludgeoning damage.
Centaur Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the pike and the longbow.
Pike Charge. If you move at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hit it with a pike attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 3 (1d6) piercing damage. The number of extra damage dice you gain increases by one at 6th level (2d6) and again at 11th level (3d6). You can apply this extra damage only once per turn. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Humanoid Torso. Although you are Large, you wield weapons and wear armor sized for a Medium creature, thanks to the proportions of your humanoid torso. Quadruped. You have disadvantage on Stealth checks because of your size and indelicate hooves. The mundane details of the structures of humanoids can present considerable obstacles for you, such as ladders and manholes.
Self-sufficient. You have proficiency with the Medicine skill.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Centaur and one other language of your choice.

The most noticeable differences are that Midgard's unafraid to make centaurs further differ from the baseline, what with an actual Large size and a non-humanoid type. Their charge attack is less powerful and requires a specific weapon in comparison to UA, although the hooves deal much more damage. They both get a free skill proficiency, although the Survival may see more use in play. Finally, both make note of the difficulty in climbing ladders and such, although only UA has explicit rules.

Midgard Minotaur posted:

MINOTAUR TRAITS
Your minotaur character has certain characteristics in common with all other minotaurs.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Minotaurs age at roughly the same rate as humans but mature 3 years earlier. Childhood ends around the age of 10 and adulthood is celebrated at 15.
Alignment. Minotaurs possess a wide range of alignments, just as humans do. Mixing a love for personal freedom and respect for history and tradition, the majority of minotaurs fall into neutral alignments.
Size. Adult males can reach a height of 7 feet, with females averaging 3 inches shorter. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Natural Attacks. Your horns are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, they deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier piercing damage.
Charge. If you move at least 10 feet toward a target and hit it with a horn attack in the same turn, you deal an extra 1d6 piercing damage and you can shove the target 5 feet as a bonus action. You can apply this extra damage once per turn. At 11th level, when you shove a creature with Charge, you can push it 10 feet instead of 5. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Labyrinth Sense. You can retrace without error any path you have previously taken, with no ability check.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Minotaur, as well as one other language of your choice (typically the Trade Tongue or Southern languages).

As for minotaurs, Midgard's are boring ol' humanoids. They both have a charge attack, although Midgard's is more limited in uses. But in exchange they get more thematic and utility features, like darkvision and being practically unable to get lost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

I'm not a technical writer.)
Hello I'm Mike Mearles would you like to wright for D&D Fifth Edition?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Large creatures don't necessarily deal more damage, nor do they necessarily have more reach. There are certain things that can increase the size of a PC, and they do specific things, but not necessarily the exact same things. Some larger creatures get a specific quality that says they do more damage with weapons, but certainly not all. Some large creatures have reach, others clearly do not. Unlike 3.x, and possibly 4e, this edition doesn't really call out size categories having specific bonuses/penalties, with the exception of Small or smaller creatures not being able to use Heavy weapons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Does it automatically affect reach? There are large creatures with 5 ft reach(see Ogre). Likewise, although sized-up weapons do more damage, they aren't listed in the phb and might not be easy to purchase - that part seems easy enough to work around. Just let them treat all weapons that are two-handed because of their heft as versatile. (So they still need two hands to shoot a bow but a greataxe is no problem.) Later you can give them larger weapons anyway because weapon damage progression ending around level 2 is pretty lame and wizards are still gods.

Huge Creatures tend to have 10 ft reach. Unless the creature has really small limbs for some reason or are using a bite attack.

Ryuujin posted:

Large creatures don't necessarily deal more damage, nor do they necessarily have more reach. There are certain things that can increase the size of a PC, and they do specific things, but not necessarily the exact same things. Some larger creatures get a specific quality that says they do more damage with weapons, but certainly not all. Some large creatures have reach, others clearly do not. Unlike 3.x, and possibly 4e, this edition doesn't really call out size categories having specific bonuses/penalties, with the exception of Small or smaller creatures not being able to use Heavy weapons.

The exception to this is weapons. Size categories almost always result in more weapon die. I believe the only exceptions are the Centaur and Drider cause of their human sized torsos.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ryuujin posted:

They are pretty consistent at scaling damage dice per size category when they invoke the names of PHB weapons in the monster manual. So a greataxe does 1d12, a large minotaur has a greataxe that does 2d12, and a huge giant has one that does 3d12. A javelin does 1d6, a large ogre's javelin does 2d6. A greatsword does 2d6, a Huge giant's does 6d6.

They do include this explicitly in the monster creation guidelines I believe but I gotta track it down when I'm not at work.

But yeah, larger creatures tend to have more reach, but that's not automatic. If they're using a standard longsword for a medium character, they still have 5 ft reach, whereas in SotDL, your reach is your size and can be modified beyond that by equipment.