Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'll get there one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Nice bragging about being above average bro. We're all doing our best with what we got.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Khorne posted:

I'll get there one day.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking to total 1200 after my next 5/3/1 cycle. This is a good program for fat, lazy people.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I tried using the weight machines at my gym on Saturday

it's two days later I have eaten all protein in sight and my abdomen is still screaming

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

bamhand posted:

Looking to total 1200 after my next 5/3/1 cycle. This is a good program for fat, lazy people.

1200 is my moonshot goal after my sheiko cycles wrap up in late July. Hoping for 500 dead / 400 squat / 300 bench

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I googled Sheiko and then my eyes glazed over after the first paragraph. I like 5/3/1 because it works with my simple brain.

How much do you weigh? I'm pretty fat so I also have an advantage there. I'm 5'8 and 225 and I'm doing 200 OHP, 305 bench, 405 squat, 465 deadlift this week. I think I should be able to add another 5 pounds on OHP and 10 for everything else next month so that should get me to 1200 almost exactly.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
268, 5'10". Basically maintaining (very slowly dropping) to 265 (120kg) for 1RM tests in a couple months so the training doesn't smash me as hard as it was when I was actively cutting weight.

The last program I was on brought me up to dead 425x1, squat 330x2, and bench 255x2. On all of those I felt like I had a lot left in the tank so I'm interested to see in what a ton of volume over 16 weeks will do for my maxes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Getting to 1200 in 4 months from those numbers doesn't sound too hard. Good luck! Just curious, how long does your program take? Like hours/week. I think I'm doing ~45 min 4 times a week so I like that it's relatively time efficient. I see people with 2 hour a day programs and I don't understand how they can lift for that long.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

I googled Sheiko and then my eyes glazed over after the first paragraph. I like 5/3/1 because it works with my simple brain.

How much do you weigh? I'm pretty fat so I also have an advantage there. I'm 5'8 and 225 and I'm doing 200 OHP, 305 bench, 405 squat, 465 deadlift this week. I think I should be able to add another 5 pounds on OHP and 10 for everything else next month so that should get me to 1200 almost exactly.
Sheiko is pretty easy. There's a spreadsheet and you do like 5-6 exercises in a session 4x per week, generally. It follows a pattern like bench,squat,bench in 1 day then 2 accessories.

I feel like the only person in the world, but at least the thread, with an over 4 plate deadlift that's nowhere near a 1k total. My squat is beyond garbage and my bench is weak.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 14, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you have a specific issue with squat? If you're deadlifting 450+ you should be able to translate that into crazy gains for squats til you're at least doing 3+ plates.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Khorne posted:

Sheiko is pretty easy. There's a spreadsheet and you do like 5-6 exercises in a session 4x per week, generally. It follows a pattern like bench,squat,bench in 1 day then 2 accessories.

I feel like the only person in the world, but at least the thread, with an over 4 plate deadlift that's nowhere near a 1k total. My squat is beyond garbage and my bench is weak.

Haven't been to the gym since i graduated, using the exercise park nearby (pull ups and dips all goddam day), and was injured for a while so I couldn't deadlift, but my max dl was 4 plates almost exactly - with a max squat of just shy of 300 and a trash bench, so still >100 lbs shy of 1000 and wasn't really ever expecting to hit it.

Now with my injuries, I... still don't expect to.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

bamhand posted:

Getting to 1200 in 4 months from those numbers doesn't sound too hard. Good luck! Just curious, how long does your program take? Like hours/week. I think I'm doing ~45 min 4 times a week so I like that it's relatively time efficient. I see people with 2 hour a day programs and I don't understand how they can lift for that long.

Doing Sheiko #29-32 three days a week so it's a bit condensed and I'm in the gym 2 hours if I rest on the heavier sets. Most days I'm really pushing it between sets to keep moving and I can do 1h40m or so. Today I did:

Back squat - 1 set x 5 reps@50%, 1x4@60%, 2x3@70%, 5x3@80%
Bench - 1x5@55%, 1x5@65%, 5x4@75%
Dumbell fly - 5x10
Dips - 5x5
Front Squat - 2x5@40%, 2x4@50%, 3x3@60%
Standing good mornings - 5x5

It's a lot more reps at the upper ranges than I was getting before so I dig that, but it does come with more time in the gym. I don't mind it right now.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

I'm jealous. 30 pound weights left me winded; I'm excited to work my way up though.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

all the TV's in my office building's gym have been set to Fox news for a few days now and the remotes are all missing

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thesaurus posted:

all the TV's in my office building's gym have been set to Fox news for a few days now and the remotes are all missing

Sometimes Fox News is on in the bike room and I make myself sprint every time an ad for medication, weight loss or a scam comes on.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Thesaurus posted:

When I go in the morning it's set to the Food Network on back to back runs of "You Gotta Eat Here" which felt like a cruel joke up until I realized being swole-ami is better than eating salami

or is it

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

Do you have a specific issue with squat? If you're deadlifting 450+ you should be able to translate that into crazy gains for squats til you're at least doing 3+ plates.
It's improving slowly. No idea what the overall issue is. I haven't deadlifted 450+.

Some of it is joints and proportions: 18"-19" long torso @ 73" tall means super long legs and a short torso, and my hips seem to only like a super narrow stance.

I did put 40lbs on my 5rm in 3 months while on a surplus recently, and it was my first surplus since I started lifting. I probably baby squats too much since I changed to low bar because I'm not comfortable with failing and I also have a weak rear end.

For bench, it's likely my form is holding me back. I have trouble staying tight and an inconsistent bar path.

Overall, my strength gains have been super slow but my aesthetic gains have been pretty solid.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 14, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

indyrenegade posted:

When I go in the morning it's set to the Food Network on back to back runs of "You Gotta Eat Here" which felt like a cruel joke up until I realized being swole-ami is better than eating salami

or is it

Maybe if you’re a hedonist and derive more pleasure from the ego boost of being strong (or people noticing you’re strong )

During one of my workouts, I listened to a Tibetan monk talk for an hour about how letting go of desires is the path of happiness... he specifically talked about how trivial and superficial working out in gyms is

Not a great session, tbh

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Should have flexed on that dumbass and told him that the path to happiness is a desire in itself and therefore unimportant.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Khorne posted:

I also have a weak rear end.

Shameful.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

During one of my workouts, I listened to a Tibetan monk talk for an hour about how letting go of desires is the path of happiness... he specifically talked about how trivial and superficial working out in gyms is

Not a great session, tbh
Gym is moving meditation. I ain’t attempting to think during any of this poo poo. That’s pretty much the definition of living in the present.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
My deadlift and bench have been improving and my squat also remains trash. I have squat curse. My mechanics are all hosed. Super long legs on top of no coaching forever led me to not squatting correctly and now i have to relearn it all over again. Ham and glute activation is really hard. My deadlift is creeping to 600 but id be lucky to squat 4 plates in wraps. Really loving annoying. I feel like ive been chasing my tail for so long. Its not just as easy as "squat more" i need to buy shoes and now spend 45 minutes warming up and "activating my glutes" ffs

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just slap all the weights on the bar and stand up or be crushed to death.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

bamhand posted:

Just slap all the weights on the bar and stand up or be crushed to death.

Can I do it in a controlled fashion, or going all out one rep to death the newest broscience?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah its not that easy. My quads and torso does all the work

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Whelp I just followed my advice and hit a 3 plate bench instead of being crushed to death. Started at 245 this January. This is now officially the most I've done for all my lifts.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Zil posted:

Can I do it in a controlled fashion, or going all out one rep to death the newest broscience?

1) overdo it the first couple workouts with squats.

2) don't do any warmups or stretching.

3) let gravity do all the work on the way down so that you go crashing down from standing to parallel/just below parallel in like less than a second - don't worry, your DOMS from the first workouts will provide the necessary tension in your quads/hams

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

bamhand posted:

Whelp I just followed my advice and hit a 3 plate bench instead of being crushed to death. Started at 245 this January. This is now officially the most I've done for all my lifts.

wow! gratz. how did you do it?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just 5/3/1 4x a week. Went up 10 a month.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Was able to push my squat to completion after failing 2 days ago. Resulted in pouring out sweat like never before. Felt great and gross.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Maybe if you’re a hedonist and derive more pleasure from the ego boost of being strong (or people noticing you’re strong )

Not a great session, tbh

At first I didn't want to be a 5"2, 200-pound hamplanet. It's now my 4th week and I want to lift a car, so.. maybe?

That's a different approach to the nihilist perspective I used to have which was - nothing loving matters why bother working out?

At this point I go with friends a couple times a week on top of my solo runs and it's easily a big factor in feeling happiness.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I still want to loving die

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Don't we all?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I work out because it is fun and because I want to be stronk and handsome

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

HAH, jokes on you. Body dismorphia will make this forever an unreachable goal. :tipshat:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Khorne posted:

Hey friend. We are sort of alike I'm just lagging a bit behind you in terms of deadlift. My best dead is 355(Looks like I'll hit 4 plates within a month or two no prob) my bench is like 210 and squat is something unspeakable, maybe 200-215. i'm hoping working on my quads will help. when i'm in a heavy squat it's hard coming out of the hole(quads) but once I'm a bit above parallel I can finish it out no problem.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 15, 2018

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Zzulu posted:

Just lol if you don’t want to look like a potato that can pick up the world

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey friend. We are sort of alike I'm just lagging a bit behind you in terms of deadlift. My best dead is 355(Looks like I'll hit 4 plates within a month or two no prob) my bench is like 210 and squat is something unspeakable, maybe 200-215. i'm hoping working on my quads will help. when i'm in a heavy squat it's hard coming out of the hole(quads) but once I'm a bit above parallel I can finish it out no problem.

Have you tried paused squats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Omnikin posted:

Just lol if you don’t want to look like a potato that can pick up the world

:hai: