Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: Never Walk Under Your Wife When She's A Suspended Load

Crappy Construction Tales: Does my wife count as a suspended load under 1926.753(d)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies >Crappy Construction Tales: Does my wife count as a suspended load under 1926.753(d)

This is the one true way.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Crappy Construction Tales: Does my wife count as a suspended load under 1926.753(d)?

Oh my god. New thread title.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

Depends if your swing needs to be rated for 500 pounds amirite fellas.

You can 100% pull out or break anchors designed for 500 pounds using a 120 pound perfect waifu, if you lift her up 6-12 inches and drop her into the swing. Shock loading and instantaneous peak forces can be way way higher than 500 pounds for the critical milliseconds needed to permanently deform or damage the anchors.

If you go by the ratings on the various bolts, hangers and attachment points at Home Depot, you probably want a 5x safety factor, just because falling 3 feet onto your tailbone would be very very un-sexy.

Also if that's not the new thread title, I will be very very sad.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Only if you're employed as her home health aide, otherwise OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction, and the design requirements are better covered by IBC 1607.4 (concentrated loads), 1607.9 (impact loads) and AWC NDS Chapter 11 (dowel-like connectors in lumber)

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 13, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Chairman posted:

Only if you're employed as her home health aide, otherwise OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction, and the design requirements are better covered by IBC 1607.4 (concentrated loads), 1607.9 (impact loads) and AWC NDS Chapter 11 (dowel-like connectors in lumber)

You think I'd build a sex dungeon and not contract its operation and maintenance out?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You can 100% pull out or break anchors designed for 500 pounds using a 120 pound perfect waifu, if you lift her up 6-12 inches and drop her into the swing. Shock loading and instantaneous peak forces can be way way higher than 500 pounds for the critical milliseconds needed to permanently deform or damage the anchors.

6-12 inches lift?

Someone is bragging.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ehhh these things usually have a spring at the top to reduce that shock loading anyway. If they do break a person is in a terrible position for impact as well, I know of someone who fractured a few vertebrae when a restraint slipped off an anchor. Use eye bolts, not hooks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I wouldn't ever want to hang a person from a single fastener, no matter the safety margin. Only takes one inclusion in the chunk of steel to drop them on something unpleasant.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Aye, the non-engineer, but knowing some stuff about some stuff in me says always three points. With the safety factor being that only one of those points (being equal to all the others individually) can carry the entire load.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just load testing the wife iykwim

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Aye, the non-engineer, but knowing some stuff about some stuff in me says always three points. With the safety factor being that only one of those points (being equal to all the others individually) can carry the entire load.

...what

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You got a thousand pound chick hanging on a sex swing. That sex swing is attached at three points to the ceiling, each attachment point can hold 1500 pounds. A total of 4500 pounds, with all three combined. Then, if say, you removed two of the three attachment points, you're still attached at one point with a 1500 pound capacity.

I'm not an engineer, so that might be totally wrong, but thats how I would do it if I ever was going to get my sex swing with a thousand pound chick on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A problem is see with hanging “athletic equipment” from eyebolts is that it’s easy to weaken the attachment by spinning the swing or by rocking it.

A plate with three or four lag screws is a a lot more secure. Twisting action on the ring is resisted by shear in the fasteners. Side‐to‐side loads are resisted by the plate pressing against the ceiling and by tension in the screws.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just load testing the wife iykwim

A teaspoon at a time?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

You got a thousand pound chick hanging on a sex swing. That sex swing is attached at three points to the ceiling, each attachment point can hold 1500 pounds. A total of 4500 pounds, with all three combined. Then, if say, you removed two of the three attachment points, you're still attached at one point with a 1500 pound capacity.

I'm not an engineer, so that might be totally wrong, but thats how I would do it if I ever was going to get my sex swing with a thousand pound chick on.

What you are saying is that you want three attachments, with any single attachment being capable of carrying the load. Which is fine, although 3x is not really an adequate margin of safety, particularly because a person's weight is not the maximum amount of force they can apply. And that's ignoring things like elastic vs. inelastic responses to loads, the various different types of force you can apply (for example, tension, compression, torsion, flexion, etc.), materials which bed vs. break (that is, toughness vs. brittleness, etc.)

But it is a good starting instinct to want three attachment points. I think when you're suspending a load another good instinct would be to have at least a 5x safety margin, which is to say, your setup should be able to safely handle five times the expected maximum force that will be applied. But even that rule of thumb is not really a rule of thumb; the margin of safety you should apply varies depending on the severity of the consequences of failure, and - realistically - cost.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's called the "rule of thumb" because in old days before computer modeling the cable you suspended your sex swing from had to be at least the diameter of your wife's thumb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Can't hold up much with that little rope, can you?

Shoulda been the rule of wrist.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Javid posted:

I wouldn't ever want to hang a person from a single fastener, no matter the safety margin. Only takes one inclusion in the chunk of steel to drop them on something unpleasant.

I'm the something unpleasant

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Can I skip all this load balancing and just put a trampoline under the swing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends, is the floor under the trampoline rated for the point-loads?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Um, do your filthy sex poo poo over a pool, like a normal person.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, if you notch your floor joists you can even sink the pool into the floor for a nice effect.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

You can 100% pull out

But why would you want to?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

A problem is see with hanging “athletic equipment” from eyebolts is that it’s easy to weaken the attachment by spinning the swing or by rocking it.

A plate with three or four lag screws is a a lot more secure. Twisting action on the ring is resisted by shear in the fasteners. Side‐to‐side loads are resisted by the plate pressing against the ceiling and by tension in the screws.

Looks like a lot of models have the frame/bar attached by a circle anchor and spring to prevent to prevent any forces on the eyebolt other than just a downward pull.

Also this thread is amazing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Can't hold up much with that little rope, can you?

Shoulda been the rule of wrist.

I appreciate this.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

poemdexter posted:

But why would you want to?

Perhaps it wasn't your wife in the swing at the time?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Perhaps it wasn't your wife in the swing at the time?

If they get pregnant you gimmick the swing hardware to solve your problem the next time around.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

If they get pregnant you gimmick the swing hardware to solve your problem the next time around.
Do you have stairs a poorly-supported sex swing in your house?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Do you have stairs a poorly-supported sex swing in your house?

I am unprotected.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well here is a Crappy Construction tale straight from Spinal Tap. Architect wanted a grille located 2" off of the floor. Problem is that on the sketch she marked it as 2' off the floor, so we get to move some duct again to get the grille where she wants it.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
That's a problem that would have been avoided if we used the daggum metric system.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Or just wanted used “ft” or “in” instead of easily missed hash marks.
Architect probably would have used “mm” accidentally instead of “m”. Or vice versa.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Or just wanted used “ft” or “in” instead of easily missed hash marks.
Architect probably would have used “mm” accidentally instead of “m”. Or vice versa.

Perhaps, but I think you'd notice if they asked you to place it 40m above floor level.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A good builder will notice that poo poo and check. Lazy jerks will knowingly build things wrong because "well technically the plans said..."

As part of my work I deal with a lot of very very old blueprints. They managed to build things fine without 50 pages of sections and details specifying the exact way everything needs to be because people could actually trust their builders to generally follow the best practises of the day. But now everything is so mindlessly legalistic that you need pages and pages of details in your contract because the builder will absolutely do things not even remotely to code then shrug and say no one legally told them to do otherwise, the blueprints had a gold fringe so don't need to be followed under maritime construction law.

"Oh on drawing 3 on sheet A201 you did go ahead and leave a detailed section showing that nails need to go through both the objects that are being attached to each other, and that the nails should be made out of metal, not jello, and that the nail should be hammered in using a hammer and not one's forehead, and that the nail should be permanent, not removed at the end of the contract BUT you didn't actually mark a scale on this drawing and marked the sheeting as "3/4 ply" so we went ahead and used 3/4mm ply for your building because we think we can get away with it"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 15, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps, but I think you'd notice if they asked you to place it 40m above floor level.
I like to imagine that they don't and the place isn't 40m tall so there's just a ton of ductwork straight up out the roof to this one sad grille in space.

Edit: DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: the blueprints had a gold fringe so don't need to be followed under maritime construction law.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 15, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And I’m over here dealing with a building inspector that has required months of revisions and all of those details to issue a permit. Don’t disparage an entire group of people for something that is more related to the entire community. Bad actors in the construction, design, ownership, and code enforcement all around have gotten us where we are today.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

StormDrain posted:

And I’m over here dealing with a building inspector that has required months of revisions and all of those details to issue a permit. Don’t disparage an entire group of people for something that is more related to the entire community. Bad actors in the construction, design, ownership, and code enforcement all around have gotten us where we are today.

Oh yeah it's not even limited to the building industry, it's just our entire business/legal culture where all parties are having to spend more and more time and money protecting them selves legally rather than doing the actual work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

What you are saying is that you want three attachments, with any single attachment being capable of carrying the load. Which is fine, although 3x is not really an adequate margin of safety, particularly because a person's weight is not the maximum amount of force they can apply. And that's ignoring things like elastic vs. inelastic responses to loads, the various different types of force you can apply (for example, tension, compression, torsion, flexion, etc.), materials which bed vs. break (that is, toughness vs. brittleness, etc.)

But it is a good starting instinct to want three attachment points. I think when you're suspending a load another good instinct would be to have at least a 5x safety margin, which is to say, your setup should be able to safely handle five times the expected maximum force that will be applied. But even that rule of thumb is not really a rule of thumb; the margin of safety you should apply varies depending on the severity of the consequences of failure, and - realistically - cost.

So you're saying I should have at least five attachment points for a chick who is at least 1000 pounds?
Should I use eye bolts with washer/lock nuts on top? Or should I use a steel plate that is bolted at say, four corners, and then a welded hook coming down at each of the five points?

Do they make sex swings with that much capacity, or should I go to Fastenal or other industrial supply store and get some nylon lifting slings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A while back I bid a tile job at a local country club that had one sheet saying $$$ tile in bathroom A and $$ tile in bathroom B on one sheet, but it was flipped on another sheet.

I won the job because I had put the $$$ tile in the smaller bathroom, and then at a meeting they talked like it was the other way around. I had to check my proposal because I specced exactly which tile went to which room, so the GC and architect had to explain the change order instead of me screwing that one up.