Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Epicurius posted:

They're humoring Odo?

I like this. I like this answer. They're talking slow and loud to the slow changeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I'm fairly certain that's the answer given in the show, that they wanted to present themselves in a way that would be comfortable for Odo/the viewer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lexx is straight up a bad show. It's repetitive and lacks charisma. It has a lot of rock stupid jokes. It had a troubled production with tonal shifts from season to season. I'm surprised it ever made it to four seasons.

I tried to watch it and never laughed or cared about the characters.

Farscape on the other hand is great, even if it does occasionally get soap-opera-ish like most 90s/2000s scifi.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
It’s a HEIST

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I always found it so strange, that since the only reason odo looked all melty faced was because he sucked at being a changeling, and the other changlings could impersonate people down to the smallest detail, why they all also look all melty in their "natural" state.

I mean, yeah I know its so they'd have a distinctive racial look for the show, but within the show it just never stopped bugging me.

I figure it's just easier for them, they're just schlubbing it like when you throw on sweatpants to go to the grocery store.

Probably the reason Odo looks like that is it's the easiest humanoid face Changelings can make.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I couldn’t get into Farscape at all, even after 5 or 6 episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zesty posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress but I'm strangely interested in how this shows continues.

This is exactly the reaction I had when I got into Lexx, except it was near the end of season 2 with the musical episode. Holds a special place in my heart as the weirdest show I've ever watched, which is a great part of its appeal. Even Farscape wasn't as bonkers, there's just nothing else like it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You haven't gotten to any of the good ones yet. It's something like Babylon 5 in that respect, it takes quite a while to really pick up, but when it does it gets good, then great, then incredible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

it's pretty rough until scorpius shows up

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get into Farscape until I saw a marathon of it while hopped up on cold meds with a lovely flu

Your time will come

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You haven't gotten to any of the good ones yet. It's something like Babylon 5 in that respect, it takes quite a while to really pick up, but when it does it gets good, then great, then incredible.
Are you sure it isn't Stockholm syndrome?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Are you sure it isn't Stockholm syndrome?

Maybe Scorpholm syndrome

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe in her first appearance, the Founder Leader says essentially that she is choosing to present herself to look more like Odo.

Come to think of it, we don’t really see any other Founders in their ‘base’ solid state except her and Laas. There are other changelings but they are all impersonating someone else.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Its kind of hard to explain how different Farscape was when it premiered -- Muppet aliens and a weird ship with some care taken to what the inhabitants of Moya are like and what their species' quirks are and no real love for exploring the unknown or pushing the boundaries of human knowledge. Plus the music theme was all chanty.

It wasnt trying to be Star Trek. Hell, we learn that Zahn cums when exposed to big suns and D'argo needs some S&M when badly hurt or else he dies. It was really different so that alone got us through the first season.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like everyone else has said, the show doesn't take off until they introduce Scorpius near the end of season 1. There's a neat call backs to some of the first dozen or so episodes of season 1 in season 2 but most of them are skippable. The show becomes (mostly) serialized at the end of the first season and it really only has a couple of hiccups in the middle of season 4.

I've watched all of Star Trek a couple times over but Farscape is by far my favourite scifi series of all time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also skip Jeremiah Crichton unless you have the DVD, in which case turn on the commentary track and let the cast riff on how bad an episode it is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good news ! The season arc that gets into the good stuff starts in episode 7.

You can skip 14 (Jeremiah Crichton). If you feel like things are lagging, skip to 19 (Nerve) and strap the gently caress in. Things really don't slow down after that. Ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farscape is always one of those shows I’ve meant to watch beginning to end. When I was watching on its original run, I dipped out about the episode 5-6 mark, and then didn’t look again till later in the season, so there were new characters and I didn’t know what was going on. That pattern continued over the years every time I’d look in, a bunch of new characters on the ship and insanity.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would say you stopped right short of where it starts to get good. Lots of folks here are saying it gets better when Scorpius shows up, but PK Tech Girl, That Old Black Magic, and DNA Mad Scientist are all good poo poo.

Or you can jump ahead to Durka Returns and A Human Reaction, skip Looking Glass, then the rest of the season rules.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I gave up on Farscape after three or four episodes, and now don't have enough free time to give it another shot. :smith:

As for Lexx, do what I did and watch the miniseries, then stop. (I actually watched for a few episodes of the series proper after Zev was replaced by Xev, or whichever way round it was, and felt I would have been better off stopping sooner.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe in her first appearance, the Founder Leader says essentially that she is choosing to present herself to look more like Odo.

Come to think of it, we don’t really see any other Founders in their ‘base’ solid state except her and Laas. There are other changelings but they are all impersonating someone else.

The changeling that died in the Defiant while tusslin' with Odo took on a 'base' state that looked a lot like him, but different, like the female changeling. This was just as 'he' knocked out O'Brien and some goldshirt and then tried one last time to convince Odo to abandon them and come with him to escape, though, so likely, again, going with the 'deliberately looking like Odo' reasoning.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Payndz posted:

As for Lexx, do what I did and watch the miniseries, then stop. (I actually watched for a few episodes of the series proper after Zev was replaced by Xev, or whichever way round it was, and felt I would have been better off stopping sooner.)

You missed Xevivor Island because you stopped several seasons too early :argh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Farscape is legit good after season 1.

The first few are bad though-- like TNG S1 levels bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so do Klingons just grow up faster than humans

cuz Alexander can't have been conceived more than a year before this season 4 episode I'm watching

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The short answer is "probably yes". The slightly less short answer is no one actually bothered thinking of this before they wrote the episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes. Toral grows up similarly fast.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Do we know if B'Elanna aged at a Klingon rate or a human rate? It's been a while since I saw Voyager.

EDIT - why were we ever supposed to think Gowron was the favorable alternative to Duras? The man looks like he's minutes away from stabbing someone in an alley.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 15, 2018

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nodosaur posted:

Do we know if B'Elanna aged at a Klingon rate or a human rate? It's been a while since I saw Voyager.

EDIT - why were we ever supposed to think Gowron was the favorable alternative to Duras? The man looks like he's minutes away from stabbing someone in an alley.

So, he's the perfect representative for the Klingon race, then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So, he's the perfect representative for the Klingon race, then?

He's the perfect representative of a Klingon noble, in their feudal society. Martok on the other hand is a commoner. The two of them cover what Klingons are actually like pretty well.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think it's that Gowron is the preferred candidate because he didn't assassinate the previous Chancellor. It's not so much that he's the "good" candidate, just the less poisony one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CBS has sued to prevent the proposed merger of CBS and Viacom.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Gowron also isn't in bed with the loving sharp-ears.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Epicurius posted:

I think it's that Gowron is the preferred candidate because he didn't assassinate the previous Chancellor. It's not so much that he's the "good" candidate, just the less poisony one.

Actually, Gowron owns and he Made Qo'noS Great Again.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It really is a shame he put his own ego and paranoia above the good of the Empire.

Martok never would've been a challenger to the throne in a million years, not with his commoner background...and, y'know, loyalty and common sense and pragmatism and not wanting to be a politician and

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It really is a shame he put his own ego and paranoia above the good of the Empire.

Martok never would've been a challenger to the throne in a million years, not with his commoner background...and, y'know, loyalty and common sense and pragmatism and not wanting to be a politician and

It's a pretty normal way for villains to engineer their own demise: they assume everyone's as self-serving and ambitious as they are. Gowron saw Martok's total lack of interest in the throne as proof of his supreme cunning and desire for the throne. Because that's how Gowron would do it in Martok's position.

By all accounts Gowron is a pretty good chancellor throughout his run, he just ends up engineering his own demise at the end out of paranoia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why is anyone watching Lexx if there are other sci-fi shows they haven't seen?

Lexx is the bottom. That's the layer of caked mud right under the barrel. You can only properly watch Lexx if you have seen every other second of sci-fi ever filmed for TV, it's 3 AM, and you know you can't sleep so you're going to watch something. Anything.

Then you see Lexx.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean I kinda figure the Klingon Empire has a lot of stuff like the Roman Empire where a popular general realizes he has an army that's utterly loyal to him and can go grab the throne. Even though WE know Martok wouldn't it makes sense to me that Gowron WOULD think he might.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gorelab posted:

I mean I kinda figure the Klingon Empire has a lot of stuff like the Roman Empire where a popular general realizes he has an army that's utterly loyal to him and can go grab the throne. Even though WE know Martok wouldn't it makes sense to me that Gowron WOULD think he might.

For large chunks of Byzantine history the two ways to obtain the throne that seemed legitimate to the populace were:

1) be crowned co-emperor during your predecessor's lifetime
2) win a civil war

Like, there was no codification of a peaceful way to resolve succession when there were no emperors. The expectation was a civil war and at a not-insignificant portion of the populace thought that this resulted in better emperors. I would be utterly unsurprised if this was true for the Klingons before the establishment of the high council and if at least some people pined for those days.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gowron is the preferred candidate for chancellor because his eyes are fuckin crazy, man

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The first ninety seconds of Lexx are the best part of the show. Not even joking.

However it is still a far better use of your time than Andromeda or Caprica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lexx was honestly best when it was a once-in-a-while TV movie that would be on Friday nights when you could stay up late enough to watch them when you're 10