Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Is this consumption rate typical for other Tesla owners? It sounds extremely good for a car that weights 3500+ lbs. Rule of thumb I've seen around a lot is 1 Whr/mile per 10 lbs of vehicle weight

From what I've seen of Tesla consumption, it's more like 250 Wh/mile multiplied with your personality ranging from 1 = a nun with food poisoning to 2 = Jeremy Clarkson outrunning ex-wife lawyers. Turns out, aero matters more than weight, even in hilly areas due to regen. A parallel illustration is the comparatively (by weight) massive consumption of motorcycles. Mine used like a frugal car, but nothing like 1/6th as it compared to a car by weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Aerodynamics matter most at high speeds, so if people are doing lots of highway driving maybe that's a part of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bawfuls posted:

If this sort of thing interests you then you should check out the EV conversion scene. Fair number of people doing interesting stuff with OEM components in classic (formerly) ICE cars

Yeah, some of these builds are pretty bad rear end. The EV West stuff is very cool.
It would be pretty cool if someone found a way to either convert NiMH packs to lithium (more power for the size if I understand correctly), or to add a battery pack to extend the range in hybrids / electrics.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I probably would have ended up with a Bolt had they been available nationwide at the time. The Bolt's range would have suited my driving habits well. My next car will definitely be full BEV assuming there are some appealing options on the market when the time arrives.

I’m struggling with this right now, as I’m at a point where I want to get a full EV, but with the odd-ball trips I take every once in a while, owning a Volt would be a godsend. We live in the Northeastern chunk of Atlanta, and the girlfriend’s family is about 2 hours away. While the Bolt would certainly make it there, we’d be looking for a CCS on the way home and it’d be getting sort of hairy at points because DC fast chargers get few and far between the further you get from the city. If the one charger you’re counting on is broken/blocked/whatever, you’re looking at a tow home or an impromptu hotel stay somewhere.

The Volt, meanwhile, would make my commute to work and back twice in EV mode before I would need to recharge, and the gas motor would make the occasional trip south easy, but I’m still using gasoline.

It just feels pretty hypocritical; I get on family members for owning and daily driving full-size trucks “just in case” they need to move something every few months while global climate change is loving the earth sideways, but then I’m paying for a gas motor in a car “just in case” I need to take a longer trip instead of owning a full EV and renting a car like a sane person. :shrug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, some of these builds are pretty bad rear end. The EV West stuff is very cool.
It would be pretty cool if someone found a way to either convert NiMH packs to lithium (more power for the size if I understand correctly), or to add a battery pack to extend the range in hybrids / electrics.

I would love to eek out just a few more miles of range to ensure that I will never drop into ICE on colder days. My 38 mile commute will require me to have a few miles of Gas usage when it's cold out. I haven't hit the really cold temperatures with the Volt yet, but I imagine it'll be even worse.

I would happily give up my trunk space.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ripoff posted:

I want to get a full EV

Do it. You'll probably figure out how to charge while you are visiting, precluding a need to stop on the way back. And you'll figure out which charging strategy is best, like charge before it gets critical. And more chargers will be built in the coming years.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I would love to eek out just a few more miles of range to ensure that I will never drop into ICE on colder days. My 38 mile commute will require me to have a few miles of Gas usage when it's cold out. I haven't hit the really cold temperatures with the Volt yet, but I imagine it'll be even worse.

I would happily give up my trunk space.

If you use ECO mode for heat. You should get around 40-45 miles on a full charge assuming temperatures 20-30F

The only time I've gotten below 40 was when we had a really cold snap and I used max heat the entire drive. Only managed 39 on that charge.

Also, at 14F and below the engine will kick on occasionally regardless of battery charge to provide extra heat. Also called ERDTT.

Gotta love summer though. Currently averaging 60 miles per charge, consumption figures suggest 65 easy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

stevewm posted:

If you use ECO mode for heat. You should get around 40-45 miles on a full charge assuming temperatures 20-30F

The only time I've gotten below 40 was when we had a really cold snap and I used max heat the entire drive. Only managed 39 on that charge.

Also, at 14F and below the engine will kick on occasionally regardless of battery charge to provide extra heat. Also called ERDTT.

Gotta love summer though. Currently averaging 60 miles per charge, consumption figures suggest 65 easy.

I've only used the ECO heat and it still went into ICE around those temps. I think that there's a slight elevation change heading home and it's westward so that wind may be compounding to cause it to use more energy. I always use more kWh going home from work and not to.

Just a LITTLE more will get me there! All in all, I'm over-the-moon happy with my Volt and can accept it sipping gas a little bit in those winter months. I have had it almost 2 months and still only use about 1 gallon maybe in 2,500 miles?

https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/11172

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ripoff posted:

I’m struggling with this right now, as I’m at a point where I want to get a full EV, but with the odd-ball trips I take every once in a while, owning a Volt would be a godsend. We live in the Northeastern chunk of Atlanta, and the girlfriend’s family is about 2 hours away. While the Bolt would certainly make it there, we’d be looking for a CCS on the way home and it’d be getting sort of hairy at points because DC fast chargers get few and far between the further you get from the city. If the one charger you’re counting on is broken/blocked/whatever, you’re looking at a tow home or an impromptu hotel stay somewhere.

The Volt, meanwhile, would make my commute to work and back twice in EV mode before I would need to recharge, and the gas motor would make the occasional trip south easy, but I’m still using gasoline.

It just feels pretty hypocritical; I get on family members for owning and daily driving full-size trucks “just in case” they need to move something every few months while global climate change is loving the earth sideways, but then I’m paying for a gas motor in a car “just in case” I need to take a longer trip instead of owning a full EV and renting a car like a sane person. :shrug:

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a Volt when you would be using the electric mode 95% of the time. I mean you are hauling around an engine that you barely use, but on a full EV you would be hauling around extra battery weight that you barely use. Sounds like the Volt is perfect for you. (recommend version 2)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

still only use about 1 gallon maybe in 2,500 miles?

https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/11172

I've used quite a bit more.. https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/8980

But I have to drive for work on occasion. And a few of our branches are outside the Volt's EV range.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ClassH posted:

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a Volt when you would be using the electric mode 95% of the time. I mean you are hauling around an engine that you barely use, but on a full EV you would be hauling around extra battery weight that you barely use. Sounds like the Volt is perfect for you. (recommend version 2)

You weren't asking me, but I'll respond as a recent Volt owner. I often wonder if I should have gone the Bolt.

1. Aesthetics: I find the Bolt pretty ugly and the Volt mostly unoffensive
2. Size: I need to be able to cram my three kids in the back in a pinch. Not for extended periods of time, we'll take the family truckster for that. The Bolt back seat is really tiny, even when compared to the Volt's joke of a middle seat.
3. Range flexibility: I occasionally have to drive out into the boonies where there isn't any fast charging for work and while I could rent a car, it would negate the cost savings of going electric/PHEV quite a bit.
4. Cost: The Volt was at the perfect price point for me, just under where I was willing to spend. I didn't really spend much time pricing out the Bolt, so it may not be accurate that the Bolt wouldn't have been cost comparable but I recall it being several thousand more.

But you're not wrong on your points. As I said, I do go back and forth on whether or not I should've gone full-EV.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

stevewm posted:

I've used quite a bit more.. https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/8980

But I have to drive for work on occasion. And a few of our branches are outside the Volt's EV range.

I have this situation tomorrow and it's going to jack up all of my Volt stats! Was a good run.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow that voltstats thing is neat, and they also support SparkEV! Do you have to have a paid OnStar subscription for it to work?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Worth noting that you can get adaptive cruise-control on the Volt, and not on the Bolt, because GM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Worth noting that you can get adaptive cruise-control on the Volt, and not on the Bolt, because GM.

That's another thing that helped my decision. 75% of my commute is in traffic and it's a god send.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The volt would be great for me if it had an actual 3 person back seat. I have 3 kids in my backseat at least once per week (two car seats and one 9 year old), and the volt just wouldn't cut it.

I'm starting to think that a used Model S is my best bet for a full ev right now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I have this situation tomorrow and it's going to jack up all of my Volt stats! Was a good run.

Yeah, the first few months I had mine my Volt stats where excellent... Then my first engine maintenance period kicked in and ruined my perfect numbers. :mad: And then we built a new store 66 miles away... Did get to charge when I got there thanks to a DIY 240v adapter letting me plug into a socket for a welder. But it meant I had at least 12 miles of gas usage every day for a couple of weeks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Wow that voltstats thing is neat, and they also support SparkEV! Do you have to have a paid OnStar subscription for it to work?

Normally yes, however Volts and Bolts get OnStar "Basic" for free for 5 years once the OnStar trial period runs out, which allows remote keyfob functions and status reporting which is what VoltStats relies on.

Don't know about the SparkEV..

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hmm, I can do keyfob actions from the mychevrolet app, but can't view battery level.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

eyebeem posted:

The volt would be great for me if it had an actual 3 person back seat. I have 3 kids in my backseat at least once per week (two car seats and one 9 year old), and the volt just wouldn't cut it.

I'm starting to think that a used Model S is my best bet for a full ev right now.

Yep. I have a Bolt and a Volt Gen 2. The volts 3 person back seat is really a 2 person with a seat belt in the middle (spread your legs over the console). The Bolt is fine for 3 kids even on longer trips and ok for adults on shorter trips. (not 3 large adults though)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClassH posted:

Yep. I have a Bolt and a Volt Gen 2. The volts 3 person back seat is really a 2 person with a seat belt in the middle (spread your legs over the console). The Bolt is fine for 3 kids even on longer trips and ok for adults on shorter trips. (not 3 large adults though)

Every Friday I have two carseats and the 9 year old in the back seat for a 75 mile drive. The car seats are basically like having a full sized adult, and it's pretty cramped in my Cmax, which is probably about equal to the Bolt.

I really wish someone would come out with a long range 3 row EV that isn't expensive as gently caress. Throw the bolt drivetrain and a few more batteries into a slightly bigger shell. Give me a little less range, even. I would settle.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
90 seconds to gain access, start the Tesla, and drive away

:yikes:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

90 seconds to gain access, start the Tesla, and drive away

:yikes:

There have been thefts with the thieves using RF amplifiers to boost the signal from the keyfob inside someones house. One was even caught on CCTV and made rounds on the internet several months ago. You could see one of the thieves holding something up near the house, while another got in the car and drove off.

I would imagine the Tesla fob would be no different.

Though there was some speculation on if they actually unlocked it, and instead just dragged it onto a trailer. As they ripped the charger out of the port... If they had unlocked the car the charger would have pulled out easily.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

If you have proximity keyless ignition and doors that require nothing other than proximity keep your keys in a little faraday cage or mesh bag when at home. A lot of people have a bowl or keyring next to the door and retransmitters work.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I keep my key in the car is that bad?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I keep my cars in my garage. It seems like I'm the only one in my neighborhood, though. People comment "it seems like your never home". No, I just use my garage as intended.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Having had cars in an apartment garage, an open spot behind my rental, and in a 2 car attached, lol at people running in the rain or cold with groceries/at 5 am.

Garage car the warmest car. Especially when you precondition.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RZA Encryption posted:

I keep my cars in my garage. It seems like I'm the only one in my neighborhood, though. People comment "it seems like your never home". No, I just use my garage as intended.

Garages are a place to keep all the poo poo you should throw away, according to nearly every person in my neighborhood.

FilthyImp posted:

Having had cars in an apartment garage, an open spot behind my rental, and in a 2 car attached, lol at people running in the rain or cold with groceries/at 5 am.

Garage car the warmest car. Especially when you precondition.

Not parking in direct view of the giant thermonuclear furnace hovering over my house is amazing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Garages are a place to keep all the poo poo you should throw away, according to nearly every person in my neighborhood.

My garage is just narrow enough that I don't want to try to park my car in it, but it's the least cluttered room in my house and it's so nice to walk out into a (relatively) big open space and not be surrounded by clutter or furniture.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ClassH posted:

Just wanted to say I really appreciated yours and all others’ input, and I think the Volt is in my near future. I’m waiting a month or so to see if dealers will be willing to put some cash on the hood and research any sort of supplier discounts etc we might get. It’s fun to do this with Chevy as they can actually deal instead of saying “oh this is the only car in [area], there’s the barrel, go bend over it.”

I’m a lovely negotiator so I know I’ll get bent over that barrel regardless. :gonk:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MrYenko posted:

Not parking in direct view of the giant thermonuclear furnace hovering over my house is amazing.

This also seems to work really well for keeping paint shiny and the interior in great shape.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ripoff posted:

Just wanted to say I really appreciated yours and all others’ input, and I think the Volt is in my near future. I’m waiting a month or so to see if dealers will be willing to put some cash on the hood and research any sort of supplier discounts etc we might get. It’s fun to do this with Chevy as they can actually deal instead of saying “oh this is the only car in [area], there’s the barrel, go bend over it.”

I’m a lovely negotiator so I know I’ll get bent over that barrel regardless. :gonk:

For car negotiating it all comes down to being willing to walk out. Come up with a price and if they don't hit it, go to another dealer. Do whatever you can to not get emotionally attached to it as that'll sink you. Know the features you want and make a reasonable offer and you wait it out. If you don't HAVE to have a vehicle (lease turn in, etc) then don't worry about going into the next month.

There's a this American life podcast where they went into a dealership. It's very eye opening and shows you how the last days of the month are truly the time to buy a car. (Secret: the incentives they get to hit the volume dwarfs what they lose on an individual car)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

For car negotiating it all comes down to being willing to walk out.

This is true of everything. If you can’t walk away, then you’re not negotiating, you’re begging.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

This is true of everything. If you can’t walk away, then you’re not negotiating, you’re begging.

This holds when applying to my sex life in my marriage.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

TraderStav posted:

There's a this American life podcast where they went into a dealership. It's very eye opening and shows you how the last days of the month are truly the time to buy a car. (Secret: the incentives they get to hit the volume dwarfs what they lose on an individual car)

unless the dealer already hit their number and don't care about blowing out cars to make it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kill me now posted:

unless the dealer already hit their number and don't care about blowing out cars to make it.

True. Work with many dealers!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

My detached garage is not finished on the inside. The giant thermonuclear ball in the sky turns my garage into a 560sqft oven.

I really need to do something about that.......

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

stevewm posted:

My detached garage is not finished on the inside. The giant thermonuclear ball in the sky turns my garage into a 560sqft oven.

I really need to do something about that.......

You can buy flour at Costco and start a pizza parlor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

You can buy flour at Costco and start a pizza parlor.

drat, this loving killed me.

What a dumb loving joke and it killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNcZHDopFb8

• Locked thread