Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I thought it was a weird blowup personally. Players might not have personally played and failed in their semifinals over the years, but these things don't happen in a vacuum. If they have a newspaper or the internet or regularly check what their fans are saying about them on the internet (which is a crazy concept), they know how Spurs are seen. They're Spursy.

You can change a mentality of a side (if you're a manager) to be more combative if one of the key decisions goes against your team (like Mourinho in his pomp) but the idea that spurs players don't know that they are widely seen as serious bottlers, and that that can't affect them on some level is stupid.

Having the crowd behind the team can egg you on, but having history show that you haven't won anything in years can't possibly have a similar but opposite effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got around to listening to Ronay's "witch's curse x 100000" diatribe

:stonklol:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The next time a team bottles it everyone should post ‘The Witche’s Curse’ and tag him on Twitter, that’d be fun :allears:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The next time a team bottles it everyone should post ‘The Witche’s Curse’ and tag him on Twitter, that’d be fun :allears:

How much do Twitter bot farms go for these days?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Ninpo posted:

The Tesco Value Phillipe Auclair guy, Julien Laurens or whatever the gently caress his name is, makes up for a number of them in terribleness though.

He's by far the most annoying guest they have*, though he was hilariously salty after PSG got knocked out of the CL.

(*Well, Ian Macintosh too, but he didnt seem to be on it much, mercifully)

Is there any hint as to how well TTFS is doing? It hasn't really carved it much of an identity for itself, it's just Football Weekly with worse guests.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I remember at the beginning of the season Ronay launched into a tirade about the egos of Jimbo, Mackintosh et al for thinking they were popular enough to strike out on their own, which at the time I thought a bit rich as no one was downloading the pod for his humorless contrarian shite.

Always thought Steinberg was the worst of the lot with his charismatic black hole of a personality, but I can never remember him tanking an episode by himself.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Raffles posted:

I remember at the beginning of the season Ronay launched into a tirade about the egos of Jimbo, Mackintosh et al for thinking they were popular enough to strike out on their own, which at the time I thought a bit rich as no one was downloading the pod for his humorless contrarian shite.

Ultimately though, he wasn't wrong.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

britishbornandbread posted:

Is this an English football supporter thing? I think they're perfectly entitled to strike out on their own (and also strike out on their own, in a baseball sense, hah) to try a new podcast.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mandalay posted:

Is this an English football supporter thing? I think they're perfectly entitled to strike out on their own (and also strike out on their own, in a baseball sense, hah) to try a new podcast.

It’s just reality. Clearly JR is charismatic enough to have his own podcast (Truth and movies is really good), but TFFS is just a clone of the Guardian show, and adds nothing different. I tend to listen to whichever one shows up first (normally Guardian), and then *might* listen to the other if I’m bored.

There’s little benefit to being part of a “network” or newspaper for podcasts, once you’re already famous anyway, as the production and hosting overheads are tiny and the ad money can be decent (if only split 3 or 4 ways) for a broad subject like Football.

They needed to get Barry along too and they’d have been laughing, but he’s tied to the Guardian for writing too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"So Barry, who do you think will win the FA Cup?"
"Whoever has the most resources"

Ronay's rant was embarrassing but at least Barry drew a line underneath it with a decent joke.

Anyway, Ronay is right that Spurs losing to Man Utd isn't surprising, but his argument as to why this happened is just ludicrous because it centres around this idea that morale is just another resource that you can buy and Spurs can't afford it.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

I disagree. Totally Football seems to be doing alright, although I have no idea how many downloads they get vs the Guardian. In the end though it probably made sense for them financially as wooger said they get to the split the ad revenue among themselves and have the opportunity to branch out other ideas like Golazzo (which is loving great if you're interested in Italian football history).

Plus there seems to be greater variety of guests on Totally Football, rather than the same dour Guardian journalists every week, and whilst I quite like Max he is no Jimbo.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Raffles posted:

I disagree. Totally Football seems to be doing alright, although I have no idea how many downloads they get vs the Guardian. In the end though it probably made sense for them financially as wooger said they get to the split the ad revenue among themselves and have the opportunity to branch out other ideas like Golazzo (which is loving great if you're interested in Italian football history).

Plus there seems to be greater variety of guests on Totally Football, rather than the same dour Guardian journalists every week, and whilst I quite like Max he is no Jimbo.

so many bad opinions in one post

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

wooger posted:

It’s just reality. Clearly JR is charismatic enough to have his own podcast (Truth and movies is really good), but TFFS is just a clone of the Guardian show, and adds nothing different. I tend to listen to whichever one shows up first (normally Guardian), and then *might* listen to the other if I’m bored.

There’s little benefit to being part of a “network” or newspaper for podcasts, once you’re already famous anyway, as the production and hosting overheads are tiny and the ad money can be decent (if only split 3 or 4 ways) for a broad subject like Football.

They needed to get Barry along too and they’d have been laughing, but he’s tied to the Guardian for writing too.

What you said makes perfect sense. There's this snarkiness on top of it from some other posters that doesn't make sense to me. (see the post from britishbornandbread I quoted)

RideTheSpiral posted:

so many bad opinions in one post

A diversity of opinions about podcasts, in MY podcast thread?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love the idea of leeds tv in north korea.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jonathon Wilson news update owns

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Witches curse being a constant running joke owns too.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know it’s not even a football podcast anymore but I have re-listened to loads of Athletico Mince while travelling and it owns still.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

I know it’s not even a football podcast anymore but I have re-listened to loads of Athletico Mince while travelling and it owns still.

I'm glad Peter Beardsly's wife is letting him get a CCTV system.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

I'm glad Peter Beardsly's wife is letting him get a CCTV system.

Same

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I assume at some point the Beardsley updates will get boring because it’s the same thing every time, but I’m not there yet.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
please help me
please save me
said the little boy

my daddy is drinking
said the little boy

please take me
away
from this misery

im drowning
im dying
in this purgatory

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’m genuinely unsure whether a whistling Terrence after catheter removal is a real thing :confuoot:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m genuinely unsure whether a whistling Terrence after catheter removal is a real thing :confuoot:

i asked a nurse friend of mine, will keep you updated

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kcer posted:

i asked a nurse friend of mine, will keep you updated

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH!!!!

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
sorry i've been informed that the trapped air may have truth to it but there is NO whistle

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kcer posted:

sorry i've been informed that the trapped air may have truth to it but there is NO whistle

Can you tweet bob this to let him know thanks

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bad ep of the mince. Hate andy me

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Haven’t heard new Mince. No whistle saddens me.

Is it me or is Barney Ronay wanking himself raw over African footballers in the latest FW?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

Bad ep of the mince. Hate andy me

i like him and thought it was ok

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
i skip every one of his bits

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Haven’t heard new Mince. No whistle saddens me.

Is it me or is Barney Ronay wanking himself raw over African footballers in the latest FW?

It's Wilson, he always covers the ACN so it's more understandable I guess?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

generally I prefer posted:

It's Wilson, he always covers the ACN so it's more understandable I guess?

Ah, my bad, that makes more sense.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The ribbing Ronay keeps getting about curses or any subject even tenuously linked is great and actually makes me not hate him being on fw atm

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
My favourite running theme this season has been Max bringing up some LADbible-worthy footy meme of the week and getting nothing from Barry and/or Wilson

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Did any pod pick up the Ozil agent/Keown feud?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
"Bring me my Lennon" on the Ramble proper made me chuckle

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
andy's corbyn bit is getting fairly desperate

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I'm not usually one to care about these things, but christ those ads on The Ramble for the podcast where the two girls talk about when they were in school are awful.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Haven’t heard it recently but yeah it’s annoying, same podcast ‘stable’ I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Haven’t heard it recently but yeah it’s annoying, same podcast ‘stable’ I think.

Yeah, it's on Luke and Pete, too. It just seems very self indulgent from the ad. Like a podcast made up on injokes between the presenters that isn't funny to anyone else.