Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Healbot posted:

It is doping and has been used in the past for doping purposes.

Really? Do you have examples? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested. Is it used to mask other stuff or does it have a benefit?

I always thought it was closer to this:

quote:

Cocaine: ‘not only stupid, but pointless’ Drugwise founder Harry Shapiro suggests that cocaine would have offered no performance enhancement to athletes. “Cocaine is a stimulant – it revs you up, makes you more alert, appears to give you more energy, but it is very short-lived. “If you were just about to walk on a Premier League pitch and you snorted a line in the dressing room, after about a quarter of an hour it is going to wear off. “If a line of coke lasted four hours then there might be some advantage from a purely performance point of view, but it is so short-lived that I can’t see there would be any competitive advantage. “Not only is it stupid, it is also pointless.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/recreational-drugs-sport-doping/

Which would make it akin to really strong energy drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

In the article it says he took it as part of a tea to prevent altitude sickness, which I guess would be performance enhancing if they were playing at one of those really high altitude south american grounds?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Caffeine is legal and I cant imagine coke is that much better as a performance enhancer

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jose posted:

Caffeine is legal and I cant imagine coke is that much better as a performance enhancer

I was wondering this

Why aren’t you a mod anymoee

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Cocaine makes you loads better at everything, including football

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do footballers smash a load of caffeine pills before a game???

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

I was wondering this

Why aren’t you a mod anymoee

I got banned because benitez didn't walk

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

Do footballers smash a load of caffeine pills before a game???

Jamie Vardy slams down Red Bulls

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jamie Vardy famously drinks like 15 red bulls and a coffee before a game

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jose posted:

I got banned because benitez didn't walk

Lol

peanut- posted:

Jamie Vardy slams down Red Bulls

Knew I could rely on big vardy lmao

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

In the article it says he took it as part of a tea to prevent altitude sickness, which I guess would be performance enhancing if they were playing at one of those really high altitude south american grounds?

Again, technically that may be the case, but I don't think that is what the rules are in place for.

Bape Culture posted:

Knew I could rely on big vardy lmao

quote:

So three Red Bulls, a double espresso and a cheese and ham omelette is what makes me run around like a nutjob on matchday.

I really don't see the difference.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Jamie Vardy famously drinks like 15 red bulls and a coffee before a game

I wonder if he puts skittles in the Red Bull

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wonder if he puts skittles in the Red Bull

I bet he puts skittles in the big powerade bottle full of port he drinks before bed every night

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mickolution posted:

Really? Do you have examples? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested. Is it used to mask other stuff or does it have a benefit?

Didn't Maradona get popped for this when he scored that one goal and then freaked out like a goddamn roided out nut?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mickolution posted:

The Tour de France was and is extremely big on doping, you'd have people hopped up on cocaine, heroin, strychnin and other stuff way back in the 1920's to 40's (The Pellisier brothers were really open about consuming everything under the sun to get an edge).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Soulex posted:

Didn't Maradona get popped for this when he scored that one goal and then freaked out like a goddamn roided out nut?

I think that was some sort of banned cough syrup that masks other stuff, no?

Healbot posted:

The Tour de France was and is extremely big on doping, you'd have people hopped up on cocaine, heroin, strychnin and other stuff way back in the 1920's to 40's (The Pellisier brothers were really open about consuming everything under the sun to get an edge).

Heroin? Really? Other than pain killing, what possible benefit could that have?

I understand wanting any edge, but football is different to cycling anyway, where the doping was for endurance, no? Also, when I think of cycling and doping, it's not coke I'm thinking of. I don't think Armstrong was winning Tour de France races with a gram of coke.

If you were regularly re-dosing you could maybe get an edge, but the effects would be minimal.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bogan Krkic posted:

is that like a traditional thing from the Andes, since its Peru and all

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 14, 2018

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Gents, this is coca tea we're talking about. Not processed cocaine. Get it right!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mickolution posted:

Heroin? Really? Other than pain killing, what possible benefit could that have?

I understand wanting any edge, but football is different to cycling anyway, where the doping was for endurance, no? Also, when I think of cycling and doping, it's not coke I'm thinking of. I don't think Armstrong was winning Tour de France races with a gram of coke.

If you were regularly re-dosing you could maybe get an edge, but the effects would be minimal.

It's both to increase stamina because heroin and cocaine were not researched enough back then and to dull the pain, same as biking under the influence.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bogan Krkic posted:

Cocaine makes you loads better at everything, including football

It makes you smart and interesting and everyone wants to know you when you go to parties.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress wrong thread

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 14, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mickolution posted:

Technically it might be, but it's not doping, which is what these rules are in place to stop.

PEDs = doping

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
coca tea sounds pretty awesome tbf

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

coca tea sounds pretty awesome tbf

Agreed

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The lovely thing about this isn't the ban, which he has already served, for what is at worst a recreational drug. Although that is a different argument to be had.

In this case, the lovely thing is, the bloke has served his ban, and they are deliberately extending it just to gently caress him out of a World Cup. The first World Cup his country has qualified for in the players lifetime.

And the reasoning they are giving for extending the ban is "well, even if he wasn't fully at fault, he was ever so slightly to blame. So we are giving him extra punishment on top of what we have already done."

All of which is unreasonably harsh and lovely for the lad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The lovely thing about this isn't the ban, which he has already served, for what is at worst a recreational drug. Although that is a different argument to be had.

In this case, the lovely thing is, the bloke has served his ban, and they are deliberately extending it just to gently caress him out of a World Cup. The first World Cup his country has qualified for in the players lifetime.

And the reasoning they are giving for extending the ban is "well, even if he wasn't fully at fault, he was ever so slightly to blame. So we are giving him extra punishment on top of what we have already done."

While I agree with this, drugs are bad and if you can't do the time then don't do the crime, say no to drugs, mess with the bull and you'll get the horns

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

While I agree with this, drugs are bad and if you can't do the time then don't do the crime, say no to drugs, mess with the bull and you'll get the horns

actually drugs are really good

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
drugs have both positive and negative aspects

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

He did do the time, though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

drugs are illegal for a reason (its because theyre bad) and anyone who does drugs should be locked up in prison

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If it was weed ok id be mildly sympathetic. But cocaine seems pretty bad

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Drugs are bad mkay but the extension to the ban seems somewhat arbitrary.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Eau de MacGowan posted:

drugs have both positive and negative aspects

this is a tested theory

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's funny, because Mutu got a 7-month ban and a fine for doing lines as opposed to drinking tea. But, that being said, you can't expect to change anything about all these players dying on the field if you don't do something to clean up the sport. You just wish that the rest of the world actually took these anti-doping test seriously rather than just make an example out of some 36-year old striker.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In conclusion, drugs are a land of contrasts.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogan Krkic posted:

The time for your crime is ten years.

*ten years passes*

Sike!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

any and all drug users should be put in prison for life

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Cocaine is a performance enhancing drug.

maybe the self perception of your performance

lol just lol if you think it would give any on the field performance boost

just ask our boy Adrian Mutu

Healbot posted:

there is a VAST difference in thinking something gives you and edge and an actual physiological/cognitive assist

a short biological half life stimulant like cocaine will give you gently caress all in an endurance sport like cycling or football

the amphetamine class though.....

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 15, 2018

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bogan Krkic posted:

any and all drug users should be put in prison for life
I believe The Philippines have found a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

BrigadierSensible posted:

preach brother