Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Just finished Evil Genius and I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eat The Rich posted:

Just finished Evil Genius and I really enjoyed it.

Same. Never heard about the story before that I can recall. What a wild ride.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm surprised more people didn't hear of that news story! I guess I am bias since I am from the Rochester / Buffalo area and went to college in Pittsburgh during the time of the trials.

Edit: seeing an Eat N Park made me nostalgic. I worked at one during the summer in college.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I remember the neck-bomb but I never heard anything regarding follow up. It sounds like the story gets weirder somehow?!

Also: Smiley cookies are still great, FYI.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alterian posted:

I'm surprised more people didn't hear of that news story! I guess I am bias since I am from the Rochester / Buffalo area and went to college in Pittsburgh during the time of the trials.

Edit: seeing an Eat N Park made me nostalgic. I worked at one during the summer in college.

I've been to an Eat N' Park exactly once. The food was terrible, but they had the friendliest and most helpful waitstaff I've ever seen in my life.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
if anyone want a docu thats good for relaxing or falling asleep to, the story of film and odyssey is on hulu. some people hate the narrator, i love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAQNc6aQtO0

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also: Smiley cookies are still great, FYI.

I worked in the in-store bakery. It was my job to frost and smile those drat cookies.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My wife grew up in Erie / has a lot of family still there so we are pretty excited for Evil Genius. That place is....not cool.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alterian posted:

O/T but where are you from originally?

On topic, I had heard of the initial story, and it ‘inspired’ that ‘30 Minutes or Less’ movie, but some of the additional info was news to me.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Alterian posted:

I worked in the in-store bakery. It was my job to frost and smile those drat cookies.

Good man.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I finished Babylon Berlin. Overall it was very enjoyable, but I thought it got a bit too unhinged at the end. Charlotte drowning and then miraculously coming back to life, SECRET NAZIS, Wolter’s overblown (hah) demise, a painting spelling out the family secret... eh. I can only imagine they also took a lot of liberties in portraying how progressive 1929 Berlin was. Still, it’s a period in history I don’t know a lot about and showed the Weimar Republic in a different light for me. I figured everyone was just destitute back then, but seeing that there still was an upper class around and the general chaos of a bunch of different groups vying for power (democrats (I’m sure there’s a better term), WWI vets, Communists, Nazis) was enlightening. Apparently there is a season 3 in the works too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Evil Genius is good, and the story is bonkers, but it could have easily been a 90 minute movie instead of a four episode show. So much of it is just rehashing the fact that Marjorie Diehl Armstrong is smart and also mentally ill over and over.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
As I understand it, the destitution was mainly the early 1920s, and Germany was doing okay in the late 1920s before the Depression hosed the world.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Evil Genius is good, and the story is bonkers, but it could have easily been a 90 minute movie instead of a four episode show. So much of it is just rehashing the fact that Marjorie Diehl Armstrong is smart and also mentally ill over and over.

Yeah it was pretty grating to hear her ranting about her innocence throughout every episode. It was a fascinating story though. I didn't know any of the later developments after the story made headlines originally.

I can't say I agree with the argument the filmmaker was trying to make at the end that Wells was innocent, but he did do a great job with getting the major players to talk with him.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I have this issue with a lot of the docu-series we've been getting lately

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unmature posted:

I have this issue with a lot of the docu-series we've been getting lately

Agreed. It's a trend I'm not loving. Most of these could be covered in a normal feature length time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm on episode 3 right now and it's really dragging, losing my focus.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm on episode 3 right now and it's really dragging, losing my focus.

Yeah, I lost steam after the second episode.

Does Netflix pay per episode or something? Is that why so many of these recent docs drag stuff out?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The near future sci fi stuff in The Rain seems kind of unnecessary and dumb.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The near future sci fi stuff in The Rain seems kind of unnecessary and dumb.

Is the Rain German? If it's anything like The Dark, they'll be pouring out minute details of a mystery several episodes after they gave you enough info to figure it out.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just taught the Civil War to my eighth graders and we kicked it off more or less with South Carolina’s and Mississippi’s Declarations of Secession, which explicitly address the South’s reasons for seceding. It’s slavery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Evil Genius ended terribly. First episode was great. Do not waste your time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Is the Rain German? If it's anything like The Dark, they'll be pouring out minute details of a mystery several episodes after they gave you enough info to figure it out.

I think it's Danish.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just watched LA confidential on Netflix. I feel like modern 1950s Noirs only hit a few notes but this was a two octave concerto.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Evil Genius ended terribly. First episode was great. Do not waste your time.

Man, I don’t even know how it ended because episode 3 put me to sleep.

They should have kept it at one episode, and just had one of those black screen w/ white text giving a rundown of what happened after the case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey you. Yeah, you. Why aren't you watching Last Flag Flying on Amazon right the gently caress now?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

Hey you. Yeah, you. Why aren't you watching Last Flag Flying on Amazon right the gently caress now?

Because I don't feel like crying today.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

precision posted:

It seems like pandering mawkish tripe? I have not seen the movie however.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sponges posted:

It seems like pandering mawkish tripe? I have not seen the movie however.

It is absolutely not that at all. It's fuckin' fantastic. Cranston, Fishburne and Carrel give career-topping performances.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Lester Shy posted:

It could have been cut down an episode or so I agree but hearing Marj rant really hammered home how fuckin crazy she was I thought.

Also it kinda holds up a mirror to the U.S. as far as mental health care stuff is at in this country where someone who killed two people and had another die under really suspicious circumstances was just walking around free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anon was kind of disappointing after hearing it was good from so many people. Just thought it was kind of dull and covering well worn territory. The ending felt like a huge wet fart. It could have been worse but it's already starting to exit my brain an hour after finishing it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would not be surprised if a lot of these docu-series start out as movies and somewhere down the line someone with the money decides that they have to be turned into a series because that's what's popular, even if the content isn't really there. That one about the CIA throwing a dude out of a window sure felt that way.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I would not be surprised if a lot of these docu-series start out as movies and somewhere down the line someone with the money decides that they have to be turned into a series because that's what's popular, even if the content isn't really there. That one about the CIA throwing a dude out of a window sure felt that way.

I couldn't even finish that one, despite the very interesting premise. Errol Morris is a master of the 90 minute documentary IMO, and it was a shame that his new thing couldn't keep my interest past three episodes.

I do think Making a Murder worked really well as a series because it was filmed over a decade as the case was unfolding. It was more like watching a case happen in real time instead of the filmmaker recapping something that happened in the past. And each episode had a nice cliffhanger to keep you going.

Evil Genius tried to do that and mostly succeeds, but it probably could have been three episodes instead of four. Wormwood felt like it was stretching for no reason. It really seems like every true crime thing from here on out has to be a miniseries because of the success of Making a Murderer.

EDIT: I gotta say I'm looking forward to this docu-series about Edward Edwards though, just because of how laughably implausible the premise is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2LM5ByKAk

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 14, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think The Jinx is the prototype rather than Making a Murderer.

wa27 posted:

EDIT: I gotta say I'm looking forward to this docu-series about Edward Edwards though, just because of how laughably implausible the premise is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2LM5ByKAk

I'm probably gonna watch it, but it's probably gonna be awful.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The Rain is pretty enjoyable YA post-apocalyptic fare, aside from hating the main character. It's weird how other countries treat guns in fiction. Numerous times they kill well armed baddies, only for the guns to never be seen again. Like, they just left them behind and figured "one guy with a rifle is plenty!" or something, I'm not sure.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hamelekim posted:

Not sure this is the thread for this but I just bought a 2017 LG oled tv and want to test out the best 4K HDR content on Netflix once it arrives. Any suggestions for the best stuff to watch? I know that Altered Carbon is supposed to be good, although I've already seen it in 1080p.

Not quite what you asked for since it's Amazon instead of Netflix, but Patriot in 4k is really beautiful. There aren't any special effects, it's just the long takes of the faces of great actors that are so great. When you have shots like that, peoples' faces look almost like landscape. It's also a show where the characters aren't all caked up in makeup, their imperfections are on full display.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Colony has some really annoying filler in season 1 but i kind of have to recommend it based on the fact that i ended up staying up super late to watch the first like 7 episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody check out Cargo yet?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Colony has some really annoying filler in season 1 but i kind of have to recommend it based on the fact that i ended up staying up super late to watch the first like 7 episodes.

If you're annoyed by the filler in season 1, just wait until you get to all of the filler in season 2!

They really don't ever answer anything. The most irritating aspects of each character gets amplified more and more as the show goes on. Plots seem to repeat themselves each week. Despite living in a near apocalypse following an alien invasion that keeps everyone in a severe police state, and having seen many atrocities first hand, the children always manage to ignore their parents orders to keep them safe, question everything they're told by their parents, and frequently find themselves in harms way.

By halfway through season 2 I was angry at myself for continuing to watch, and I only felt worse by continuing on to the end of season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, I heard that season 2 actually got better not worse. Ugh.