Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sion posted:

Wasn't that the one that was meant to be about the DC Universe until DC was like 'pen and paper games are dumb'?

yea. The DC book was actually pretty solid but DC quickly said 'this is actually dumb' and pulled out almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I keep trying to summarize the rules but I always end up reproducing them in total, and the most concise description I can come up with is that it's exactly what you'd expect a D&D 3.5 clone written by a theoretical physicist to be like.
...this is either the best thing ever made or a beautiful airburst explosion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The DC Adventures book was effectively a 3rd edition of the game, right? It definitely mixed some nagging issues I had with 2e.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

The DC Adventures book was effectively a 3rd edition of the game, right? It definitely mixed some nagging issues I had with 2e.

M&M has a straight 3rd Edition and the DC Adventures version, which just filters everything through a DC Comics lens. There's some errata integrated into the most recent M&M 3e corebook, too, I believe.

Sion posted:

Wasn't that the one that was meant to be about the DC Universe until DC was like 'pen and paper games are dumb'?

The license expired in 2016, but you may be thinking of the time Green Ronin set out to make a really detailed setting book just as DC was rebooting its entire universe. On the plus side they still have the rights for Wildcards!!!

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 15, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

M&M is currently in its third edition, the DC thing was basically a promo alternate book that made it DC rather than just the generic "Freedom City' stuff.

They also released a "Deluxe Player's Handbook" or whatever later that was independent of the DC ties and folded in errata and such.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The license expired in 2016, but you may be thinking of the time Green Ronin set out to make a really detailed setting book just as DC was rebooting its entire universe. On the plus side they still have the rights for Wildcards!!!

To be fair, they at least kicked the DC Universe book out the door before the license expired,

M&M 3e almost universally improves on 2e, but does some weird regressive stuff with ability scores that only really serve to obfuscate how bonuses work and how to build a character properly for new players, IMO. It also does away with some of the exponential area effect and similar stuff you could do in the previous edition, whether that's a bug or a feature is a matter of opinion.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

...this is either the best thing ever made or a beautiful airburst explosion.
It's the ultimate in "there is exactly one way to make a thing happen and it's magic" except there are also only like four or five things that can happen.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, they at least kicked the DC Universe book out the door before the license expired,

That's true, and they were only contracted to do four books anyway. Marvel cutting of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying was a lot more abrupt.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project talking about the origins of THE MONSTER ROLL :orks:

Short version: SHOUT OUTS TO "MM3 ON A BUSINESS CARD!" :woop:

Also, I might be looking to do a :siren:new playtest soon-ish:siren: so jump in the TNP Discord if you think you might be interested in playing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was getting some donuts and I heard the biggest loving nerd in the world talking about the LARP he was running for his nephew (in between conversations about his mint condition bubble bobble NES cartridge and japanese honorifics).

They get to play as Hyrulian heroes trying to take down Ganon, and they have to decide which one of them gets the heart containers and sword enchantments after clearing each dungeon, and they can only face the wizard Agahnim once they have an enchanted sword otherwise they can't reflect his spells. And the kids have to share the power ups among themselves to be an effective fighting team. The sword "power-up" is a silver spray paint coating.

I was grinning the whole time at how adorably dorky it all is.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 16, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is fantastic. :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Actually it's bad game design because the kids might try to fight the wizard before enchanting their sword.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'm starting the aforementioned Godbound campaign next week, and I'm starting it in Ancalia. I decided to give Kevin Crawford's random generators a try ... and wow, I am really impressed at the quality of the stuff it helped me make. It's a lot more complex a situation than I would have probably made without the randomness.

Anyway, Kevin Crawford is a genius.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

dwarf74 posted:

So I'm starting the aforementioned Godbound campaign next week, and I'm starting it in Ancalia. I decided to give Kevin Crawford's random generators a try ... and wow, I am really impressed at the quality of the stuff it helped me make. It's a lot more complex a situation than I would have probably made without the randomness.

Anyway, Kevin Crawford is a genius.

What book are these in?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nickoten posted:

What book are these in?
I'm using mostly the tables in Ancalia. It has a neat Mad Libs setup where you roll up the plot, then roll on other tables to fill in protagonists and antagonists and challenges, etc.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

since the stolze thread is pretty dead / mostly about ua3, i thought i'd ask here:

what are the good supplements/adventures for godlike? black devils brigade looks pretty slick

also, how easy is it to sort of sandbox a military campaign around it after running an adventure or two? oddly, all the adventures (with the exception of Saipan and maybe another one) are set in italy, which is cool, but i'd want to send my players to the bocage eventually obv

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cubicle 7 is finally previewing details of WFRP 4e. They've said it is close to 2e (which is excellent) but they've added some new features. So far what they have previewed hasn't included boxed sets with cards so it should be a marked improvement over 3e. It's also Old World before the end times :) Today they previewed the tests in 4e:

facebook posted:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition – System Preview

In the last few weeks we’ve talked a little more about what you can expect from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, opened pre-orders for the rulebook and starter set, and attended a tremendous Warhammer Fest. We’ve had such a fantastic response, thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered or gotten in touch with us, it really means a lot to all of us working on the game.

Today we’re taking a more detailed look at the game system. We’ve already said that it’s going to be a new implementation of the familiar d100 dice system, that you’ll be able to modify it to suit your play style, and that it will offer resolution options with a variety of levels of detail.

When a test is called for – generally a situation where a character is attempting an action, or reacting to an action affecting them – the GM has three choices:

1 – GM decision based on the characters’ abilities
Keeping the game flowing smoothly and quickly is important to keep everyone actively engaged in the adventure. Sometimes, especially when the outcome doesn’t really matter all that much, or the most likely outcome is pretty obvious, the GM is better off eyeballing the relevant character(s) abilities and making a call as to whether or not the action succeeds.
When situations are resolved this way, players will need to show trust and respect to the GM – the decision will need to be accepted as logical and impartial and not signal the start of a discussion!

2 – A simple pass/fail test
This is the one most players are familiar with! You decide which characteristic or skill to test, adjust for the difficulty of the test (for example, a hard difficulty subtracts 20 from your ability) and then roll equal to or under that total to succeed. It’s simple (hence the name), quick, straightforward, and tells you if you succeed or fail.
The downside of the quick pass/fail test is that the action stops dead if you fail. It’s fine in many situations, but that hard ‘No’ can be unsatisfying. And if you have grim and gritty, low-skilled characters, they can fail a lot, and that can get frustrating.
But don’t worry, because we’ve included the Dramatic Test – read on!

3 – A more nuanced dramatic test giving a range of outcomes and success levels
Sometimes you need to know what happens next, rather than just ‘yes’ or ‘no’, ‘pass’ or ‘fail’. The Dramatic Test helps you generate an outcome instead. Using Success Levels to show just how well or poorly you’ve done, these tests give you a result that keeps the story moving.
Rather than just failing to jump across the ravine and plunging to your death, maybe you almost made it and are left hanging onto a root at the other side of the gorge. The negative success levels of a Dramatic Test can help to keep the game interesting and help guard against arbitrary and disproportionate dice-based punishment.
Similarly, the positive success levels mean you can succeed beyond your wildest dreams, with unanticipated consequences piling good fortune at your feet, or scrape past by the skin of your teeth, achieving most of what you wanted, but with some complications.
The Dramatic Test is a tool for the GM to make tests meaningful and… well… dramatic!

You can mix and match these tests in your game to your heart’s content! You might mostly prefer the quicker and more narrative GM’s choice and just switch to dramatic rolls when the vitally important stuff happens. You might prefer the transparency and sense of fairness that dice rolling brings, and stick to Simple Tests to keep things moving quickly. It’s entirely up to you, and the way your group prefers to play.

That’s been one of the core design principles of this edition of the game – to give you the tools to play your Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We’re giving you lots of options to help tailor the game to you and your group.

Next time we’ll talk a bit more about fighting in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i havent even played the third yet

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

alg posted:

these tests give you a result that keeps the story moving.
Rather than just failing to jump across the ravine and plunging to your death, maybe you almost made it and are left hanging onto a root at the other side of the gorge.
Sigmar wept

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

Sigmar wept

eh most of the fun was in how deadly combat is. If they keep that goin I'm fine with it being less likely to die because I fell in an open manhole.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
That's a whole lot of words to say they're including partial successes.

Also:

alg posted:

So far what they have previewed hasn't included boxed sets with cards so it should be a marked improvement over 3e.
I will fight you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sexpig by night posted:

eh most of the fun was in how deadly combat is. If they keep that goin I'm fine with it being less likely to die because I fell in an open manhole.
"You're left hanging on the other side!!!" is the archetype of how not to do partial success. It's the go to example of how to gently caress up the concept. It's the best way to show you have no idea what you're doing.

They're using it as hype material :eng99:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
partial success is where you make it but all your friends die

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

"You're left hanging on the other side!!!" is the archetype of how not to do partial success. It's the go to example of how to gently caress up the concept. It's the best way to show you have no idea what you're doing.
Why is it bad?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't know what their argument is but there's no narrative weight if they're not going to fall. Does failing another save make them fall? Why not roll for that chance the first time? If it doesn't, there's no narrative weight to the roll because you were always gonna make it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, so the issue is that they're in exactly the same narrative position as before: they need to get across this pit but they might fall in it. Instead, a partial success should mean "you get across the pit but it costs you something" rather than "you kind of did this action but not really."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, so the issue is that they're in exactly the same narrative position as before: they need to get across this pit but they might fall in it. Instead, a partial success should mean "you get across the pit but it costs you something" rather than "you kind of did this action but not really."

Yeah exactly, the correct way to do that example would be 'one of your potions comes free or you drop your shield'.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is it bad?
It's meaningless. You jump across and are hanging from a root. Now what? Someone pulls you up? Then there's no meaningful difference between partial success and success. You fall anyway? Same result as if you failed. It's not partial resolution, it's delayed resolution.

Looking at the distance traveled as the thing to apply the "partial to" is obvious, intuitive, and terrible gameplay. You ever play through that scenario? It's a pointless waste of everyone's time.

The partial shouldn't be applied to your spatial location, because ultimately that's innately binary. You're in the pit or you aren't. The partial should be applied to the goal you're trying to achieve, or the consequences you're trying to avoid. If you're jumping across a ravine the goal is getting you and your equipment across unscathed. Partial failure is losing some of your equipment, or taking an injury. That's an actual cost that actually matters. If it's a chase scene what matters is time, so it takes you longer to jump the pit than you expected, but less than going around would have. Maybe because you choked, or had to scramble, or yes because you caught a root and needed to be helped out. If it's a fight scene you're jumping the pit to get away from something, or get toward something. Your next attack is hampered or their next attack on you is easier because you're scrambling out of the pit.

"Rather than just failing to jump across the ravine and plunging to your death, maybe you almost made it and are left hanging onto a root at the other side of the gorge." is heartbreaker language. It's the kind of thing you say when you first think of the concept of partial success, not the example of someone whose actually integrated it into a game. It's also the most loving hilarious possible example in the context of "these tests give you a result that keeps the story moving." because "Steve is stuck on a root" is the goddamned definition of halting the story for no good reason.

e: well that was a bunch of unnecessary typing

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

13th Age posted:

Natural 20s and Fumbles with Skill Checks
When a PC rolls a natural 20 with a skill check, the GM should feel free to give that character much more success than the player expected.

When a PC rolls a 1 with a skill check, the skill check fumbles and fails, perhaps in a particularly bad way. But a failure isn’t always entirely terrible.

Fail Forward!
Outside of battle, when failure would tend to slow action down rather than move the action along, instead interpret it as a near-success or event that happens to carry unwanted consequences or side effects. The character probably still fails to achieve the desired goal, but that’s because something happens on the way to the goal rather than because nothing happens. In any case, the story and action still keep moving.

I think 13A’s specific example is specifically “you succeed in climbing the cliff but all of the extra noise wakes a dire bear”. I’d rather cue a chance scene than directly add an extra fight. IIRC the example in Torchbearer is another “you just barely clear the chasm but your helmet tumbles into the abyss”.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
There is a situation where ‘Steve is caught on a root’ is a valid fail state. If the situation is time critical then ‘you or someone adjacent to you has to spend an additional action to correct the failure’, is a potentially interesting result.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Splicer posted:

It's meaningless. You jump across and are hanging from a root. Now what? Someone pulls you up? Then there's no meaningful difference between partial success and success. You fall anyway? Same result as if you failed. It's not partial resolution, it's delayed resolution.

Looking at the distance traveled as the thing to apply the "partial to" is obvious, intuitive, and terrible gameplay. You ever play through that scenario? It's a pointless waste of everyone's time.

The partial shouldn't be applied to your spatial location, because ultimately that's innately binary. You're in the pit or you aren't. The partial should be applied to the goal you're trying to achieve, or the consequences you're trying to avoid. If you're jumping across a ravine the goal is getting you and your equipment across unscathed. Partial failure is losing some of your equipment, or taking an injury. That's an actual cost that actually matters. If it's a chase scene what matters is time, so it takes you longer to jump the pit than you expected, but less than going around would have. Maybe because you choked, or had to scramble, or yes because you caught a root and needed to be helped out. If it's a fight scene you're jumping the pit to get away from something, or get toward something. Your next attack is hampered or their next attack on you is easier because you're scrambling out of the pit.

"Rather than just failing to jump across the ravine and plunging to your death, maybe you almost made it and are left hanging onto a root at the other side of the gorge." is heartbreaker language. It's the kind of thing you say when you first think of the concept of partial success, not the example of someone whose actually integrated it into a game. It's also the most loving hilarious possible example in the context of "these tests give you a result that keeps the story moving." because "Steve is stuck on a root" is the goddamned definition of halting the story for no good reason.

Could you save it by making it a player choice? "Okay you failed your roll, either you make it across and drop your bow into the ravine or you are hanging on and if you fail the next save you will definitely fall, you choose."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Could you save it by making it a player choice? "Okay you failed your roll, either you make it across and drop your bow into the ravine or you are hanging on and if you fail the next save you will definitely fall, you choose."

No, because the second choice here essentially boils down to "reroll the check."

Offering the choice between "you lose your bow" or "you're hanging on to a root" only works if the latter has a valid cost to it, and having to reroll isn't a valid cost (it's not failing forward).

The choice would have to be between "you lose your bow" and "you're hanging on to a root, which means it will take time/HP/noise/whatever for you to be hauled up" in order for this to work.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 18, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kingcom posted:

Yeah exactly, the correct way to do that example would be 'one of your potions comes free or you drop your shield'.

or the classic from Raiders of the Lost Ark, you make it across but you're just barely hanging on to the fr side. And under time pressure. What do you do now ?

Raiders is basically partial successes.mp4. Watching that movie will make you a better GM.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mllaneza posted:

or the classic from Raiders of the Lost Ark, you make it across but you're just barely hanging on to the fr side. And under time pressure. What do you do now ?

Raiders is basically partial successes.mp4. Watching that movie will make you a better GM.

Indy didn't travel in a group with three equally competent other adventurers. When he partially succeeded, he was alone (or worse, the director's future wife was around whining about elephants(god's coolest creature, shut the gently caress up Willie)) and so him struggling with time pressure and half-failures was interesting. What happens in the "you almost make the jump and now you're hanging by a vine" scenario in D&D is "I made the roll because I have plus a bunch to that roll, I help him up."

To be honest, I actually really like the fail forward mechanic, I just never see the connection between D&D and films about one big drat hero. All the big drat hero tropes are subverted by the fact that there's three more medium drat heroes around all the time.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 18, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Perhaps then the only sane response to the contradiction of an adventuring party is to kill your party members before they steal your glory.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

theironjef posted:

Indy didn't travel in a group with three equally competent other adventurers. When he partially succeeded, he was alone (or worse, the director's future wife was around whining about elephants(god's coolest creature, shut the gently caress up Willie)) and so him struggling with time pressure and half-failures was interesting. What happens in the "you almost make the jump and now you're hanging by a vine" scenario in D&D is "I made the roll because I have plus a bunch to that roll, I help him up."

To be honest, I actually really like the fail forward mechanic, I just never see the connection between D&D and films about one big drat hero. All the big drat hero tropes are subverted by the fact that there's three more medium drat heroes around all the time.

They -made- Indiana Jones with a group. It's called The Goonies. "You lose time" is almost always a valid consequence in a race.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tick a clock.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DalaranJ posted:

There is a situation where ‘Steve is caught on a root’ is a valid fail state. If the situation is time critical then ‘you or someone adjacent to you has to spend an additional action to correct the failure’, is a potentially interesting result.
Second half of the third paragraph, and that's kind of the point. Partial successes are a very contextual mechanic and they've described the concept in the most naive way possible. This example of partial success is so well known as the best way to gently caress up the mechanic that telling people not to do that exact thing in that exact way is how many RPGs explain how to not to gently caress up the mechanic. If they wanted to project a complete and utter ignorance of the past decade of game development they could not have chosen a better way to do so. It makes them look like they've either not even looked at any other partial success system, or that they read them and completely failed to understand their key example. It would be impossible for anyone with even a vague finger on the pulse of current game development to use that example as anything other than an ironic joke. And that's not even including the fact that they gave this example, renowned for causing pointless waste of time situations, as an example of the game "keeping the story moving". And this is not an off-the-cuff comment in an interview, this is their preview post where they try to build hype for them taking the reigns of the system. This is their best effort.

It's like performance art.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It'd be like an accountant saying "We will help you protect your assets and reduce your tax burden. For example, sell your house to a relative at well below market value"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

OH I thought you were grumbling for making the game 'less deadly' or something. Yea, 100% agree there, partial success/fail rules are fine but that was a terribly dull example.