Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So this is what I'm working towards for my 1K Primaris using the DW rules:

pre:
REGAL SKULLS - 1000 POINTS - DEATHWATCH
HQ: Primaris Watch Captain (MC Auto Bolt Rifle, Power Sword)
HQ: Primaris Watch Captain (MC Auto Bolt Rifle, Power Sword)

T: 5 Intercessors (Bolt Rifle, Power Sword), 5 Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerator)
T: 5 Intercessors (Bolt Rifle, Power Sword), 5 Hellblasters (Plasma Incinerator)
T: 5 Intercessors (Bolt Rifle, Power Sword)

FA: 3 Inceptors (Plasma Exterminator)
The end result is that I can combat squad the first two Intercessor squads and have 5 units with ObSec. Rather than use the Aggressor/Reiver/Inceptor bonus I wanted to focus on the aspects of Primaris that are the most reliable combined with using the special ammunition as best as possible. To get to 1.5K points I would do the following:

pre:
REGAL SKULLS - 1500 POINTS - DEATHWATCH
HQ: Watch Master
HQ: Watch Master

T: 5 Intercessors (Bolt Rifle, Power Sword), 5 Hellblasters (Assault Plasma Incinerator)
T: 5 Intercessors (Bolt Rifle, Power Sword), 5 Hellblasters (Assault Plasma Incinerator)

E: 3 Aggressors (Boltstorm Gauntlets)
E: 3 Aggressors (Boltstorm Gauntlets)

FA: 3 Inceptors (Plasma Exterminator)
The aggressors provide some much-needed supplementary firepower for countering hordes, while the upgrade to Watch Masters gives the unit more flexibility for applying CP. The 1.5K list is only 1481 points but I'm not sure what's available for the remaining 19 points.

What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

I am not thrilled "never made it past turn 3" orks won the London thing. That's pretty unhealthy for the game. I was chatting with the girlfriend last night and realized that slow playing is the thing that would make me get out of this game.

I've been slow played a lot and the wosrt of it was not getting past turn 2 in Vegas to some 300 man Ork garbage.

Everywhere in England is not London my dude, LGT is next week

Slow playing is the dullest poo poo and our store owner straight up banning it and making a bitch baby Ork player cry is the best

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The aggressors provide some much-needed supplementary firepower for countering hordes, while the upgrade to Watch Masters gives the unit more flexibility for applying CP. The 1.5K list is only 1481 points but I'm not sure what's available for the remaining 19 points.

What do you guys think?

Doesn't a Deathwatch Intercessor cost 19 points? Just toss another body into one of those 5 man squads.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the bright side, this poo poo getting highlighted in a tourney setting makes it far more likely to be addressed.

I'm sympathetic to orkz in general since actual army power-wise they're not too hot, but not like this, not like this.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Don't you talk poo poo about my perfect power jorts boys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Doesn't a Deathwatch Intercessor cost 19 points? Just toss another body into one of those 5 man squads.

All three of those squads are 10-man. 5 Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters. That way I can combat squad them and give my Hellblasters Objective Secured.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Everywhere in England is not London my dude, LGT is next week

Slow playing is the dullest poo poo and our store owner straight up banning it and making a bitch baby Ork player cry is the best

Listen here your island is small and irrelevant, and you'll be happy I'm gracing it with my presence.

But yeah gently caress slow play and the cowards who won't codify punishment for it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

Listen here your island is small and irrelevant, and you'll be happy I'm gracing it with my presence.

hahahah :drat:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The barrier to caring about hordes needing that time to daisy chain poo poo is....literally nobody else gets to exploit that to such a ridiculous unintended degree. It's really hard to feel sad at the idea of a horde army not being able to snake its way into benefitting from every aura on the table at once.

Getting them into cover is slightly more sensible, but IMO that's more because of an issue with rules than something that should be done.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

All three of those squads are 10-man. 5 Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters. That way I can combat squad them and give my Hellblasters Objective Secured.

Oh, I understand now. I think you're probably SOL unless you can do something with the Watch Masters. Just the cost of doing business for Primaris tbh

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Corrode posted:

Yeah, it's power fist only, no bigly nonsense fists allowed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My understanding is that it specifically has to be labeled as that particular item.

That’s what I figured, bummer. They really hurt the hobby side with the lack of Primaris character options. Bit of a bummer not being able to tool up your guys and really make them ‘your guys.’ Hoping that evolves over time so that we can have more and better options for our Primaris characters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Oh, I understand now. I think you're probably SOL unless you can do something with the Watch Masters. Just the cost of doing business for Primaris tbh

Yeah. I don't particularly mind since I'll be complementing the force with Big Stompy Robots. Unfortunately the Watch Masters aren't even Primaris, but the stats are identical except for 1 less attack so I don't really mind. The advantages of taking Watch Masters is so significant that it made sense for me to use them.

Soldier o Fortune posted:

That’s what I figured, bummer. They really hurt the hobby side with the lack of Primaris character options. Bit of a bummer not being able to tool up your guys and really make them ‘your guys.’ Hoping that evolves over time so that we can have more and better options for our Primaris characters.

It's frustrating because there are so many options that they could do without even messing too much with the fluff. Gravis Armor (not sure why you can't have a Gravis Captain in DW), or better yet Inceptor armor (there's even an example of a Lieutenant wearing Inceptor armor in a book) would provide a lot of options.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Cross postin' from painting thread:

Major Spag posted:

Moar fuckbois:

Here is the whole squad, together

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
those are cool as poo poo. Great work!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Got back into painting/gaming recently and have been working on some Necrons. Nihilakh's not the best Dynasty rules-wise but the colours own bones so I'm ok with that. Been good to get back into the hobby.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fuegan posted:

Got back into painting/gaming recently and have been working on some Necrons. Nihilakh's not the best Dynasty rules-wise but the colours own bones so I'm ok with that. Been good to get back into the hobby.

gently caress, these look so good

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Agreed, those are some good-lookin' robits.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Fuegan posted:

god drat you nailed it with these

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

But yeah gently caress slow play and the cowards who won't codify punishment for it.

Hope you get fuckin thumped by some good English lads m8

Fuegan posted:

Love these, great work. Nothing wrong with the Nihilakh code either.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Hope you get fuckin thumped by some good English lads m8

Love these, great work. Nothing wrong with the Nihilakh code either.

*Talks big game, goes 0-2, drops and gets drunk, sings American national anthem poorly*

:911:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Pendent posted:

gently caress, these look so good
:emptyquote:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Really appreciate the swapping out of rods on those Warriors, Fuegan. Great job!

Pendent posted:

They're 20 points, you gotta pay for the bolt pistol too.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Thanks for the kind words all!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Really appreciate the swapping out of rods on those Warriors, Fuegan. Great job!

Changing the Warrior rods and stuff like the old Lord’s warscythe isn’t too bad as the spares from the Immortals fit. Not so much luck on the Destroyers however. The only bit that works is the gauss cannon from the bottom of the Annihilation Barge. That poo poo’s going to get pricey. If anyone happens to have any spares... :smithicide:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Fuegan posted:

Changing the Warrior rods and stuff like the old Lord’s warscythe isn’t too bad as the spares from the Immortals fit. Not so much luck on the Destroyers however. The only bit that works is the gauss cannon from the bottom of the Annihilation Barge. That poo poo’s going to get pricey. If anyone happens to have any spares... :smithicide:

If its just weapon rods replacing the clear green plastic rods, couldn't you just make a mould with greenstuff?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Two Beans posted:

If its just weapon rods replacing the clear green plastic rods, couldn't you just make a mould with greenstuff?

I’m set for the normal rods, but the Destroyer guns are too big for those. That said, I might be able to make a mould for the Annihilation Barge gauss cannon piece. You might be on to something there!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I'm going to have to figure out a titan legion, but I've already got my knight house picked out. House Orhlacc - weird fungus-eating mutants who were first discovered by the Dark Angels during the Great Crusade and spent the Heresy as a nomadic house. I have plans to eventually get a knight lancer and do it up in their colors so Titanicus just lets me expand on that. I know basically nothing about the various titan legions though. Hopefully I can find one that fought alongside the Dark Angels to continue that theme.

Hell yeah, straight outa an ork horror movie

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Hell yeah, straight outa an ork horror movie

Fungi-world, talking to nearby ork rokks via shroomspeak: "begone, thot"

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Naramyth posted:

I've been slow played a lot and the wosrt of it was not getting past turn 2 in Vegas to some 300 man Ork garbage.

Should have played 30k ZM on a table made of cups.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How does slow-playing (intentionally sucking up as much time as possible) for a slow melee ork horde generate value for them?

If the game only goes to T2, doesn't that benefit the shooty army?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How does slow-playing (intentionally sucking up as much time as possible) for a slow melee ork horde generate value for them?

Controlling objectives.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Should have played 30k ZM on a table made of cups.

Haha I saw that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Naramyth posted:

Haha I saw that.
That was us. A multi-national cadre of 30k goons descended upon Las Vegas to drink, play Shadespire, and lovingly craft a Zone Mortalis board out of plastic cups on an empty table.

It was a good time. We're hoping to manage something a little better-planned next year. And by that I mostly mean drunker.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 14, 2018

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Safety Factor posted:

That was us. A multi-national cadre of 30k goons descended upon Las Vegas to drink, play Shadespire, and lovingly craft a Zone Mortalis board out of plastic cups on an empty table.

It was a good time. We're hoping to manage something a little better-planned next year. And by that I mostly mean drunker.

Also TTerrible should actually bring the mdf board he swore he was bringing right up until the night before.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
If I were to teleport an Aggressor squad who did not move in their turn via deathwatch Beacon Angelis, do I get the double attack?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Step 1: use superior model numbers to cover all objectives on turn one

Step 2: play as glacially slow as possible to burn time

Step 3: push back the turn 2 enemy response, ensure that your turn (turn 3) doesnt end before time's up

Step 4: win tourney based on objective points, receive zero votes for favourite army/game

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Tiger Millionaire posted:

If I were to teleport an Aggressor squad who did not move in their turn via deathwatch Beacon Angelis, do I get the double attack?

That kind of re-positioning still counts as moving

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Neurolimal posted:

Step 1: use superior model numbers to cover all objectives on turn one

Step 2: play as glacially slow as possible to burn time

Step 3: push back the turn 2 enemy response, ensure that your turn (turn 3) doesnt end before time's up

Step 4: win tourney based on objective points, receive zero votes for favourite army/game

After crunching the numbers I've concluded that's hella lame

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How much do ork boyz cost?

Is there a reason that tyranids / guard don't do the same thing?

T4 for orkz is helpful suppose.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How much do ork boyz cost?

Is there a reason that tyranids / guard don't do the same thing?

T4 for orkz is helpful suppose.

Because Tyranid and Guard find it easier to win legitimately. You could probably put more models on the board with either army - though moral may be a problem for guard.

I was watching a game on WarhammerTV and saw a Nurgle player use a similar style to smash a Dark Eldar player. He had a bunch of plague bearers which held a bunch of objectives and refused to die. They walked up the table to sit on objectives and were never removed. He then deepstruck some bloodletters on a flank which charged in to clean up a few units and also sit on objectives. This allowed him to score 10 points on turn 2. I think the game only went to turn 3 and the Dark Eldar player couldn't kill enough to take objectives.

Infantry heavy armies can be a hard match up in tournaments as I suspect there will be lots of anti-tank and not so much focus on anti-horde.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, Orkz are good for the gimmick because they dont really have a great strategy for winning right now + their biggest gimmick revolves around having as many blobs as possible and moving them into melee range. Plenty of opportunity to be a doddering dickhead.

IG and Tyranid could do the same thing, but they're also two of the best competitive armies ATM so they don't really need to.