Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

lightpole posted:

I do half my learning at 1.5x with youtube.

Aaaaaamen. That speed boost is a godsend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
youtube helped me through the accounting program.

if anyone needs help, there's a bunch of awesome youtube playlists i recommend. let me know.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
well, after a long semester that involved some really deep depression bits and some complete mental breakdowns leading to me putting way less effort that I'd like into my classes, I managed to walk away with all B's and gently caress it thats good enough for me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Stats & R, A-
Igneous & Metamorph Petrology, A-
Intro Field Geology, B
General Physics I, B-

Lol I’ll take that

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mods change my name posted:

well, after a long semester that involved some really deep depression bits and some complete mental breakdowns leading to me putting way less effort that I'd like into my classes, I managed to walk away with all B's and gently caress it thats good enough for me

If you have a lovely semester and take home all B's, that's a good sign.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

not caring here posted:

If you have a lovely semester and take home all B's, that's a good sign.

well it is a rinky-dink community college so I think being able to read and write got me 90% of the way there

edit: in a state that fights for last place in education by nearly every metric

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have my finals next week but am feeling Bs as well. I feel like I turned a corner this semester and have a clearer head.

I also was accidentally flashed today. People forget they aren't wearing underwear or something.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
wrong thread

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 20, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm about to submit some rather low effort final projects. One class even without turning it in I'd have a 70 so I don't care, the other I'm hoping for a B so I finish the class with at least a B to B+.

After this semester is over all I have is a 3 week summer fieldwork course, then an internship for the rest of the semester (and hopefully into fall) + one class in Fall. Then graduate with somewhere between a 3.00 and 3.3 depending on how lovely I did this semester and my 2 remaining courses. :woop:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
5 As and 2 Bs in my last semester. Graduated with a 3.03. Not bad considering my GPA was a 1.9 after my second semester.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Intro to Creative Writing: A
Intro to Political Thought: C
Bowling: A
Intro to Mass Communication: A

3.40 GPA, graduating with a 2.84.

:whatup:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
man I wish my school offered loving bowling

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If I don't have my internship extended into fall I'm going to have to find some filler classes like that to maintain full time enrollment for benefits purposes. I'm thinking bowling and photography.

quote:

5 As and 2 Bs in my last semester

7 classes? :wtc:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to take a small engine repair class or something like that but it would all be out of pocket since it wont be my degree plan.

BUuuuuuuuut I get like two classes a semester or a year for $5cr/hr because my wife is an employee of the the university so maybe down the line when it doesnt matter

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

If I don't have my internship extended into fall I'm going to have to find some filler classes like that to maintain full time enrollment for benefits purposes. I'm thinking bowling and photography.

7 classes? :wtc:

one was a one credit class and one was a two credit class. 18 credit hours.

i took nothing less than 15 credit hours my entire time going to school. it means i graduated a semester earlier than people usually do and i also have 138 credits, 12 shy of the CPA requirement.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mods change my name posted:

man I wish my school offered loving bowling

It qualified as a Exercise Science credit for some goddamn reason. It was either that or badmittion.

Why a EXSC class is required to graduate is beyond me, but what do I care. I bagged 61 credits and I loving graduated after a hell of a semester.

I still can't believe my Creative Writing professor wouldn't let me make up a quiz that I missed for my Mom's funeral.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i need 2 more classes to graduate with my associates (lol)

I'll end up having over 100 credits lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

BigDave posted:

It qualified as a Exercise Science credit for some goddamn reason. It was either that or badmittion.

Why a EXSC class is required to graduate is beyond me, but what do I care. I bagged 61 credits and I loving graduated after a hell of a semester.

I still can't believe my Creative Writing professor wouldn't let me make up a quiz that I missed for my Mom's funeral.

Did you not do ACE credits for all the physical activities poo poo? That's like the only thing ACE is ever good for.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo. That Joint Transcript gave me 30

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah i got a bunch, mainly for when i was in usarec they had me slotted as some sort of 25 series microwave communications poo poo with a Korean language asi lol.

Oh and the time I was slotted 42a as well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How hard is it to get an article published?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I have two semesters left and I'm oh so slowly dragging my rear end up to a cumulative 3.0

US History since 1865 - A (because the core curriculum at my last school is different than the core curriculum of this one)
Fundamentals of math - A (I got academic forgiveness to have the Fs and Ds taken out of my GPA calculation, but that also wiped out my math credit)
American Political Institutions - B (poli sci minor)
Russia since 1855 - B

Resident GPA is a 3.62 but because of the albatross of bad grades from my last school around my neck, my cumulative is currently a 2.98

I got two semesters to drag that up before I graduate and I'm trying to qualify for an honors society before I do. It requires a 3.0 cumulative and a 3.1 in my major and currently my major GPA is 3.077

By the end of next semester I should have that.

It's a shame there's not really a way to recognize that I've been kicking rear end since I started school again other than the dean's list letters.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

Depends on the Journal but it's usually a pretty intensive process. You do mean an academic article right?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yes, an academic article.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

Talk to Faculty/Researchers at your school that are publishing the kind of poo poo you’re interested in. Your school probably already has a mechanism for undergrads to participate in research (i.e. publish an article or whatever)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478841&pagenumber=554&perpage=40

Grad student graveyard thread should be able to help a little more than here. I think the answer is it depends, on subject, journal and what kind of support you have.

McNally the only GPA recognition and approval that really matters is your own. It's just a list and some numbers. It doesn't reflect you. Just take pride in your ability to move past a lot of poo poo and succeed.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 15, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grem posted:

Did you not do ACE credits for all the physical activities poo poo? That's like the only thing ACE is ever good for.

Nope, never heard of it.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't remember what ACE stands for but you did give a transcript from your military experience to the school right?

https://jst.doded.mil/smart/dodMandatoryBannerForm/submit.do

You might not get much but anything helps. I got out of a pt class because gently caress trying to play soccer or whatever with a bunch of 17 year olds

Edit: ACE= American council on education, doh.

Anyhow the thing I linked is the newer version

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I did that and got 2 credits for health science or whatever and I just thought if you knew what fuckin' stupidity they teach in the army you'd take 2 credits OFF me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks everyone. I'll ask around and see what they have. Even if it's a rinky dink loving journal, I'll be happy.

It basically describes how photographers use their photographs to create a sense of hyper-reality (Baudrillard and Simulacra). I deviate by applying semiotics analysis on the how and not the why. It's not ground breaking, though the idea is interesting, that we can decipher a lot from photographs even if the photographer didn't intend for that to happen. Color and perspective paint a lot of the story. We don't eat our food at plate level but take pictures of our food like that.

I also just got an email confirming one of the scholarships I applied to. It went through and I was accepted! Thanks for the help and motivation ya'll.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My cousin took bowling in college. He's a fat nihilistic piece of poo poo, and I keep wondering why he hasn't offed himself already. YMMV.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

My cousin took bowling in college. He's a fat nihilistic piece of poo poo, and I keep wondering why he hasn't offed himself already. YMMV.

Probably because he can hit a 300

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
First year on my BA in CS down (because I'm bad at math so lol CS electives instead of taking science and math classes) with a 4.0 both semesters.

Thanks national guard for paying for my poo poo and not deploying me so far I guess.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

rifles posted:

First year on my BA in CS down (because I'm bad at math so lol CS electives instead of taking science and math classes) with a 4.0 both semesters.

Thanks national guard for paying for my poo poo and not deploying me so far I guess.

Quoting for future reference when the green weeny gets tired of McNally.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, That was fun.

The Bad news is I am switching from Electrical Engineering to the Micro Electromechanical program and I am wait listed for the clean room classes. Which means Next semester is Statistics, Electronic Fabrication, and CAD followed by 5 credits of Gen Chem. And I was so looking forward to being done with Math...

The Good news is I passed Circuits and Programmable Logic Controllers with High B's, and nothing is wasted in the move. The field is emerging and a dozen companies are snatching up students in the program as soon as they are enrolled for learn and earn internships.

The Bitchin news is that these companies are already knocking on my door. There's that sense of being popular that I have been chasing for 25 years...

It's fun having that epiphany that you are 33 and climbing wind turbines and poo poo on high mileage knees probably isn't the best plan... No, I will take the scrubs, mask and air conditioned clean room, sitting in a chair and using my hands...

Now where's that electric fly swatter... It's time to build a mini Tesla coil!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

gently caress yeah bro.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Viva Miriya posted:

gently caress yeah bro.

Nice. And here I am about to graduate with a Geography/GIS degree worried about where I’ll wind up. At least I’ve got a paid internship with a large utility company.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

DoktorLoken posted:

Nice. And here I am about to graduate with a Geography/GIS degree worried about where I’ll wind up. At least I’ve got a paid internship with a large utility company.

An internship is better than nothing. If they are interning you, they are interested in you. If it doesn't work out, you have it on your resume.
The utilities are hurting for that poo poo, don't sweat it and keep your options open.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Internships are huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just got a partial book payment, which is nice. However, I don't have any way to check pending payments to the school for tuition. Is there a website other than the vabenefits.gov site for that?